• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to approach Marth and Roy?

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Anyway I could approach a Marth or Roy without having to wait for them to come to me? Usually, when I wait for them to come to me, the match sometimes takes a hell lotta time to get somewhere, and I usually fall for their approach.

Any tips on an approach?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You dont get to
Bait them and then get in there

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
It depends on your opponent and how they move.

However in a more typical and match-up oriented sense you have a few options besides baiting.

If your opponent is dash-dancing you need to overshoot your shffl'd Nair so you don't miss and get grabbed.
This also works for grabs, but you'll suffer more lag if you miss- in the event that you do miss you can try shining or spot-dodging the punish.

You can also run in and wave-shine, this can be harder to hit with but you can follow-up with an Usmash or grab. It's best used as a punish.

If your opponent isn't dash-dancing you'll have to improvise and space so that you're outside of Fsmash range at least- this counts for most of the match-up until you find an opening.

Answers aside, I personally bait with my movement until my opponent whiffs and then I punish.
The reason people play the match-up like this is that Marth can evade with his wide dash-dance and out-prioritise your short Fox limbs with his tilts.

This doesn't mean you can't be aggressive, once you've you're in you should go ham- just make sure you're not gambling your stock with an approach as it's never in your favour.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
It depends on your opponent and how they move.

However in a more typical and match-up oriented sense you have a few options besides baiting.

If your opponent is dash-dancing you need to overshoot your shffl'd Nair so you don't miss and get grabbed.
This also works for grabs, but you'll suffer more lag if you miss- in the event that you do miss you can try shining or spot-dodging the punish.

You can also run in and wave-shine, this can be harder to hit with but you can follow-up with an Usmash or grab. It's best used as a punish.

If your opponent isn't dash-dancing you'll have to improvise and space so that you're outside of Fsmash range at least- this counts for most of the match-up until you find an opening.

Answers aside, I personally bait with my movement until my opponent whiffs and then I punish.
The reason people play the match-up like this is that Marth can evade with his wide dash-dance and out-prioritise your short Fox limbs with his tilts.
This doesn't mean you can't be aggressive, once you've you're in you should go ham- just make sure you're not gambling your stock with an approach as it's never in your favour.
Holy smokes, thanks a lot for the information. This is extremely helpful to me!

Top Bottom