• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best University for Melee!

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
So...i'm a senior in high school right now and for those of you that have already gone through this, you know that this is the time for...*dramatic drum roll*...COLLEGE APPS. I currently live in Dallas Texas and for those of you who know anything about dallas, you also know that it has the ****tiest melee scene ever. So now that i have a chance to get out of the state, i want to select somewhere that has a smash scene (obviously this isn't the only factor but a very important one :D).

Any suggestions?

Some colleges i've already chosen.
1) Stanford - WC
2) NYU - EC
3) Yale - EC
4) Carnegie Melon - EC

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Do yourself a favor and don't use smash as a reason to pick your college lol.

Though if you're really curious I suggest looking at regional zones you're interested in. And just browse around.

NJIT is awful at it though. I know 1 other player that plays melee.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
Do yourself a favor and don't use smash as a reason to pick your college lol.

Though if you're really curious I suggest looking at regional zones you're interested in. And just browse around.

NJIT is awful at it though. I know 1 other player that plays melee.
haha thanks for the advice, but i'm not. I just have a list of colleges i want to go to already picked, but i can afford to apply to 2-3 more colleges so i was just wondering :D

im pretty sure anyone in dallas would **** you at melee... even brawl people.
lolol, I've been searching for those people for a while haha. I used to go to the Phase tournaments, but recently they've only been hosting brawl. I only play with a small group of friends and most of them are leaving for college this year :(

terr13

Smash Journeyman
UCB is decent, not great but it's close enough to the Norcal tournies.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Carnegie Mellon student, and Pittsburgh and the surrounding area definitely has quite a few Melee players, including my group of friends. Definitely not anywhere near as strong as Florida, Cali, or New York though. And we're also pretty **** far away from any large tournaments.

Laudandus

Smash Journeyman
I'm just going to second the Carnegie Mellon melee scene thing.

It would be awesome to have more players here, and we already have a pretty strong scene.

Also, the school *****.

AXE 09

Smash Master
The University of Arizona has a pretty good Melee scene. There's also Melee tournaments held there just about every month. So you'll see me at least once a month lol.

MT_

Smash Ace
UT Austin has a solid Melee scene. We have some decent players (though no one like famous) in Austin and have an active scene, especially throughout the school year when we have bi-weeklies. People often get together on campus to play as well, and are usually willing to offer rides to go to peoples' places off campus. The UT Smash Club has both Brawl and Melee players, but the Brawl players are mostly just casual (they play FFAs, etc) while the Melee players are pretty competitive. We even hosted a state-wide tournament which we'll probably do again. You can see the thread here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=249301

You'll get in-state tuition!

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
standford man

easy

you'll be in the bay =D

the melee scene out here is legit as ****, its ********

but honestly tho

go with what you think is best for you

not for smash

the bay is on hit tho

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
If you go to CMU, you'll also have Pitt and Duq people to play with.

Though, as stated above, I'm not going to argue that our scene is anywhere near the size of HMW's scene.

Still, we have a pretty good variety of players there.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If you're interested in Arizona at all, ASU's good too, as opposed to UA. Phoenix (where ASU is) has more really good players, while Tucson (where UA is) has a bigger scene with more mid-level players. The two cities are about two hours apart.

Phoenix: Forward, Axe, Taj, Light, myself, and very few others that play consistently.
Tucson: GG7, Jetfour, Silly Kyle, and tons of mid-level players

MacD

Banned via Administration
except arizona sucks and so does the heat

UC irvine is where it's at, you know you can't touch us between who goes there and who all lives within about 30 min ;)

<3 az ... just the people though

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Pretty much everyone in New York/Tri-state knows that NYU is where it's at. If you're in the five boroughs, its one of the few places heads go with any regularity to smash it up.

As an alum, I'd say you may have either a wonderful educational experience there or a real ****ty one, depending on your intended major.

But as far as Smash is concerned? NYU's scene is bar none one of the best.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Princeton has a pretty nice Smash scene, if you're brave enough to apply there.
Rutgers is a decent replacement in the NJ area if you can't get into Princeton.
NJ has access to NY which is also a gigantic smash scene. Of course, if you want to go to a NY school, just go for that.

UMCP isn't so desirable for people not in Maryland, but there are a lot of Meleers and good access to MD/VA stuff. Plank is holding Pound 5 Biweeklies there (but that's irrelevant for you).

There's some EC stuff.

PB&J

Smash Hero
cali/fl/ga/ny/az..have great schools and big melee scenes..but do your research on the schools and makes sure its where u want to be for the next 4 years of your life

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, NYU was not the school for what I majored in. For that, I have regrets. But I wouldn't trade the experience of living and working in the city for anything.

Plus, like, the entire NYC Smash scene are ma *****s now. I wouldn't trade that for anything either.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
probably biased and i haven't been anywhere else, but UCI and surrounding colleges are awesome for smash. socal's one of the hotstpots in the country.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Pittsburgh has a big smash scene, and a healthy amount of ****. CMU sucks, though. It costs too much and the people are weird (although with a name like UltimateHaxor, you'd probably fit right in).

Go to Duquesne or Pitt or a different state.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
except arizona sucks and so does the heat

<3 az ... just the people though
i agree, actually :laugh:

it's incredibly average as a place, but i love the smashers too much

except goop <3

btw, i also suggest you pick a place that you'd still want to live in even if you quit smash. i'd still be down to live in az since it caters to my desires, and my parents live here.

Realizer

Smash Rookie
Haha I was kinda hoping for the same thing. Less than a week, and I'm already going to Pitt :D

Never knew that such a secluded school had some Smashers, let alone Melee ones. Someone from Pitt/CMU/Duquesne hit me up :)

Anyways, any school in the West Coast should be good for Melee apparently.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Bumping this thread

Are there any studious high school seniors that would be interested in attending the Barrett Honors College at ASU (in Phoenix/Tempe, Arizona)?

Specifically, would anybody be interested in moving in with me (since I'm 95% sure I'm going there)? The Honors dorms and regular dorms are separate, so I'd prefer to live with somebody in the Honors dorms.

Smash prospects:
-You'll get to play with me several times a week :) if that's supposed to be a good thing
-You'll get to play with TAJ and Forward on occasion
-You'll get to play with Axe probably at least weekly
-If Wobbles moves back, you'll get to play with him
-If Light moves back, he'll be available too

Educational Prospects:

"Barrett has a better rep than U of A honors college, but many of my friends who are straight -A students chose U of A. Many graduates from Barrett get into ivy grad schools. Overall, Barrett runs more smoothly than u of a, at least in my opinion." --someone on the internet

"As my username suggests, I have applied to a couple ivies. I have been accepted to the Honors college at ASU (BHC), and even if I get into one or both of the ivies I applied to, the choice would still be difficult for me. I would recommend to anyone closely looking into applying to ASU and BHC. It has the quality of an ivy or private school at a fraction of the cost." --someone on the internet

USA Today named ASU one of the 100 Best Value Colleges for 2010 and specifically cited Barrett as a factor in the recognition,*identifying the honors college as “outstanding.”*

Because Barrett, the Honors College at ASU is so widely recognized for its national success in providing students with university resources that make the honors experience unique and exceptional, the nation’s largest developer of residential communities, American Campus Communities invested 140 million dollars to build the country’s first comprehensive four-year residential honors college campus in a top-tier Research 1 university. The new Barrett honors campus at ASU opened this fall. It was designed by students, faculty and staff and the eight acre honors complex includes: 1700 beds in a variety of units, 12 classrooms, an honors community center (with student lounges, activity rooms, computer and writing labs and a fitness center); a multi-room dining center which features a beautiful refectory modeled after the British university dining hall, and all Faculty Fellow and Barrett administration offices. This is the nation’s premier honors facility and a topic of great interest at the recent National Collegiate Honors Council conference.

In Barrett, students literally feel they have the “Best of Both Worlds.” They enjoy all that a Research I, Pac 10 environment has to offer while having the advantage of living in a community of motivated students. Barrett graduates attend the best graduate and professional schools in the nation, particularly given the outstanding relationships they form with faculty, which is core to the honors experience.

Average SAT/ACT Scores for incoming students in fall 2010: 1314/29
Student to Faculty ratio in classes taught by Honors College faculty: 15 to 1
Average unweighted GPA of entering first-year students: 3.84
Percentage of female students/male students: 54/46% <3
Percentage of in-state/out-of-state students: 75/25%

Rappster

Smash Ace
So...i'm a senior in high school right now and for those of you that have already gone through this, you know that this is the time for...*dramatic drum roll*...COLLEGE APPS. I currently live in Dallas Texas and for those of you who know anything about dallas, you also know that it has the ****tiest melee scene ever. So now that i have a chance to get out of the state, i want to select somewhere that has a smash scene (obviously this isn't the only factor but a very important one :D).

Any suggestions?

Some colleges i've already chosen.
1) Stanford - WC
2) NYU - EC
3) Yale - EC
4) Carnegie Melon - EC
nice, i'm a senior as well, so i'm looking at colleges, so expect this thread to be revived once i get my acceptance letters (may ish?)
top 5 right now:
Amherst: central massachusetts
Northwestern: chicago
Biola: SoCal (over by fullerton)
Chapman: SoCal (city of Orange)
Harvey Mudd/Azusa Pacific: SoCal (Claremont)

Public trans in SoCal sucks and i have no money for a car, so somewhere that has a decent scene already would be good...

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
the University of Arizona has a respectable smash community, and there are several non-UofA players who live within 5 miles of the U. It's also the location for Arizona's monthlies.

I'd highly suggest picking a cali-based university, though, unless transportation is a problem.

Top Bottom