• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best TV for brawl?

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
so everyone knows about the horribad HD lag from big new shiny plasma/lcd tv's but...

what if you bought like a cheap chinese Plasma TV that isn't HD capable?

The lag from Plasma/LCD's is caused by up-scaling the resoulution from 480(ntsc)/576(pal) to 720/1080, but if there is nothing to upscale how can it lag?

You would get the benifit of widescreen, picture quality + all the other bonus'.

also wondering what would be the ideal size of the TV and the availbility of non-hd plasma's.

thoughts?

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
We play on a DLP projector. The lag is much less noticeable than that from a regular LCD/Plasma TV. Plus, you get a screen that's over 120"... Don't even notice any lag from games like Halo.

The best thing to do is look at the response time. There's a few screens out with 2ms response time, and several others at 4ms. These are found on the newer 120Hz screens.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
We play on a DLP projector. The lag is much less noticeable than that from a regular LCD/Plasma TV. Plus, you get a screen that's over 120"... Don't even notice any lag from games like Halo.

wow nice, out of my price range though

The best thing to do is look at the response time. There's a few screens out with 2ms response time, and several others at 4ms. These are found on the newer 120Hz screens.

i got a 100hz tv lags like crazy, i didn't know about response time though thanks for the advice.

i'll probably get a 32 inch widescreen crt tommorow they don't seem to sell non-hd plasma's anymore.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
Yeah.. My roommate has more money than he knows what to do with...

It is just 1080i max, not 1080p. Was a little under $1k. A full 1080p projector will run considerably higher than that.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Regular TVs ftw. lol

You know, the ones with the fat *****? Yes, those.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Doesnt having the correct cables resolve this? Or does it have something to do with the Wii?

SSD

Smash Journeyman
The wii outputs at a native 480p designed for component cables. Using an SDTV and composite cables causes lag because the wii is downgrading the image. At least, that's what I have been told.

To get the least lag, you'd want a 480p native screen with minimal delay, and use component cables to connect the wii to it.

pretty picture, minimal lag. You can even record in pretty 480p HD goodness if you have the right capture device.

I wish I had such a setup...

POKE40

Smash Lord
If plasma screen tvs lag is a problem, you can always buy component cables for your wii.
Lag-is-gone!

I go with the comfortable box tvs. They don't lag like plasma and don't require component cables to cancel out the lag. Its like there is no lag! Assuming that the other people have no lag also... I could be wrong

Off Topic: btw...is anyone having some lag on SWF. Cause I'm having lag, when I usually don't... I just finished playing Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Plantium. Its causing major lag on my computer and the program is closed... Is RCT3 the problem to the lag. Cause for other websites, everything is fine...no lag.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
CRT's have never failed me. When it comes to 'competitive' gaming, I could care less about how a game looks. I'll play on a 31 inch CRT any day (that's what I play on normally) lol.

@POKE40: Try resetting your PC. Otherwise I'm not sure I can help you :/

flareaga

Smash Cadet
A big Plasma when playing with some nooby friends is fine, but practice techs and competitive playing on a CRT for sure.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I have a 19" lcd with component cables and it doesn't lag~ Might be due to its smaller size~ ionno.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
The wii outputs at a native 480p designed for component cables. Using an SDTV and composite cables causes lag because the wii is downgrading the image. At least, that's what I have been told.

To get the least lag, you'd want a 480p native screen with minimal delay, and use component cables to connect the wii to it.

pretty picture, minimal lag. You can even record in pretty 480p HD goodness if you have the right capture device.

I wish I had such a setup...
A) The wii runs natively at 480i and 480p.
B)There is no lag when downgrading. Only up-scaling.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm with Vyse. HD is really not necessary for my games. I remember playing Super Mario Bros., so the appearance of a game is of little consequence to me. As long as I can see what I'm doing, I'm good. Thus, CRT is all I need, and all I really care to use. It's the cheapest way to get acceptable quality and no lag. I could get exceptional quality and no lag, but that would cost more than I'd ever want to spend on anything, let alone a video game.

CRTs are the best for gaming, IMO.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Question: if you have an HD TV and the special cables for HD for your wii, will it still lag? I've read through but i haven't seen a clear response to this question....

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

it certainly has its advantages, but it does have the downside of being easy to block by interupting the projector beam with your head... and it really sucks to play with a bad angle on the screen, but that's true for a lot of screens... the only other problem is that, when the room is fairly light, stages that are dark, like Jungle Japes, are just plain hard to see as well as you should. Tube is still best for a competitive setting, but the projector is fun.

1337z0r

Smash Cadet
The wii component cables significantly reduce lag but you will never remove it unless you get a CRT

Also the MS response time doesnt tell you the input lag, it only tells you the time the tv takes to switch colours. Input lag isnt a stat they tell you so you cant really shop for it.

Top Bottom