• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Secondary / Low Tier

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
So I play Luigi in Melee, but I was wondering what other characters (especially Low Tier, but really any) have a similar play style to Luigi. I was wondering what the best low tier character for a Luigi player would be, or the best character to transition into if one wanted to change. I'll probably be doing this for other characters at some point as well, so feel free to input like the best low tier character for a high tier character to transition into and vice versa for anybody.

EDIT: For that matter, what characters in Brawl / Project M / 64 would best match the play style of Melee Luigi?

EDIT pt 2: When I say this, I mean different characters. If I try to play Luigi in Brawl or PM, I'd mix him up with Luigi in Melee

Last edited:

Tehcanned_corn

Smash Rookie
Characters with the same jump squat frames so that your wavedashing skill can carry over a bit. These include :marthmelee: :falconmelee: :younglinkmelee: :nessmelee: :mariomelee: :drmario: :gawmelee:. This would help especially when switching mid-set. Also, just in general, C Falcon uses baiting with his dash dances and then punishes openings in a similar way that luigi uses wavedashing to bait out attacks. Can't say much about matchups though... maybe Y.Link?(plus you get the sick Y.link moonwalks.:denzel:) BTW only addressing Melee with this one.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Wow, definitely wasn't expecting a response to a post I made last August :)

And by the way, this is in the Melee forums, so it's fine that you addressed only Melee.

And welcome to Smashboards! I see you've only been here for a couple weeks. Good to see a new face in the Luigi boards.

ZEN 777

Smash Rookie
I think you could have a lot of success with Ice Climbers and Yoshi.

I picked up Yoshi and I instantly felt very comfortable with him. And IC's have great wavedash's like Luigi.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I actually did end up picking Yoshi as a secondary a while back. I started with Mewtwo because of the similar traction, but all I liked about him was the double jump cancel. And Yoshi does that so much better.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is the most similar to Luigi in terms of play style...but we don't have a knee :(

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
There's Jigglypuff in terms of Aerial Combat, Ice Climbers (My Secondary) when it comes to movement, and Roy for spacing.

BeanDip

Smash Rookie
I main luigi and my secondary are the ice climbers. They are slidy like luigi and they have a similar styled downsmash. Also behave similarly in the air.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
Now. I see Marth is the most similar. The way you have to play against Luigiis like aagainst Marth. Don t approach to much but it s more baiting those priorities attack and counter. Plus you can have big combo and big punish from grab like our dear luigi.

Top Bottom