• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best RPG Ever?

Betrayed

Smash Ace
And any other honorable mentions for RPGs that were awesome.

I give my vote to Chrono Trigger. I loved the storyline, how events could effect the future, character development and... just everything.

FF10, FF7, Skies of Arcadia and Super Mario RPG were all pretty fun too.

Sir James

The Doctor
And any other honorable mentions for RPGs that were awesome.

I give my vote to Chrono Trigger. I loved the storyline, how events could effect the future, character development and... just everything.

FF10, FF7, Skies of Arcadia and Super Mario RPG were all pretty fun too.
I agree, the best RPG ever was definitely Chrono Trigger. The story, graphics, combat, and minigames set the standard for RPG's. In fact, Chrono Trigger still stands the test of time. Way too many recent RPG's get boring way too quickly. Either the story is lame or the combat is boring. Chrono Trigger had it all and it's a shame they don't make RPG's like they used to.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
I'm with you guys and gonna say Chrono Trigger. That game kept me entertained for months on end, and this was just a few years ago when I first d/led it. :p

Honorable Mentions: Dragon Quest VIII and the Fire Emblem Series

TaikaAli

Smash Apprentice
Chrono Trigger was the grreated rpg i have ever played.
I am huge FF VII fan because i played it when i was kid and everything was awesome and i really love it still.

But i have a little question but i dont want to make a new thread about it:
Is Tales of the Abyss released in Europe? or even america? I need that game and thanks.
(Private message answers would be nice because that way we can keep this thread about the topic and notice PM easier)

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Golden Sun is overrated. You can beat the game in like 12 hours.

Anyways, I'd vote for FFX

cena_wolf

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun comes to mind.
Uhh golden sun yeah that game ownz
Totally agreed. That game is beyond awesome.

Golden Sun is overrated. You can beat the game in like 12 hours.
Yeah, that's your opinion, and we respect it. But I have to respectfully disagree. It has one of the best stories I've ever seen, interesting characters, and Mia. Mia pwns people in the face.

*total Mia fanboy* ^.^

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure FF7 will be the popular answer, but Golden Sun 2 and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl come to my mind. Golden Sun's battles and length are pretty epic for a handheld RPG, while D/P really helped balance Pokemon allowing it to be much more complex.

Also, let's not forget Paper Mario.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Disgaea series, pokemon series, golden sun, final fantasy series, dragonquest series, phantasy star series, WoW (if MMORPGS count), elder scrolls, diablo and chronotrigger are all canidates for this title.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

Hmm maybe I should download Chrono Trigger...

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

Hmm maybe I should download Chrono Trigger...
Indeed. It was one of the best games for the SNES, and what's best about it is the fact that you can get it now and STILL love everything about it.

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
Earthbound. It was fun and it didn't take itself seriously which added to the fun but also had a decent story enough. The giygas battle was awesome and the way you defeat him is awesome. Most FF games are overrated but FF 6 was good.

Umm yeah i love the golden sun games but the whole thing was some what generic. You play as teenagers who summon beasts and use magic such as fire,water etc. The djin system was kina like a refine version of he materia from FF7

Chrono was also good and the multiple endings is always good but the game is short. It was fairly easy. Also it had a lot of cliches.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Golden Sun series
Tales of Symphonia

I've never played Chrono Trigger, but I'm sure that would be there too if I had.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Earthbound (Mother 2), because:

1. It was the first RPG I can remember that didn't take place in a fantasy or pseudo-fantasy setting.
2. It had a genuinely fun battle system.
3. It was truly and genuinely funny, only the various Mario-related RPGs can say that.
4. It has a huge cult following, since it never had any other games released in America.
5. It has a good story despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously.
6. Many of the people that worked on Earthbound went on to work on the Pokemon series.

Citrussed

Smash Journeyman
Popolocrois & Chrono Trigger come to my mind. FF7, Most Pokemon's? and Earthbound are pretty good too.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I liked the pokemon games!
the metroid games were pretty good too, but they're almost rpgs...^^

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Suikoden II.
You Win. I still play that game sometimes. But you, and everyone else, forgot the best RPG ever, Legend of Legaia. It was for the playstation and the combat system ruled all. Graphics weren't that bad either. I recomend everyone find this game immediately. Downloading it and playing it on an emulator may rob you of a "true" experience, but the game is hard to find. So maybe if you have a joypad for your computer, It'd surely help. Also the lights turned down low, soft music, scented canldes and a night alone at home.:chuckle:

SFan414

Smash Cadet
Three words...
Kingdom
Hearts
II

That definitely gets my vote in an RPG compitition. I don't know why no one else said it, am I the only one who likes it? 0_____o

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Kingdom Hearts II has the ****tiest battle system out of all of the great rpg's so no one brought it up. Story wise...well, the first one is just as good. If you compiled the entire series into one game, and made the battle system better, I think it could be one of the greatest for sure.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I would have said Final Fantasy 7, but unfortunetly I never got to finish it so I have to say Legend of Dragoon has been by far my favorite RPG so far, other I did enjoy are Final Fantasy 10, Grandia, as well as Pokemon Yellow, Silver, Blue

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Earthbound (Mother 2), because:

1. It was the first RPG I can remember that didn't take place in a fantasy or pseudo-fantasy setting.
2. It had a genuinely fun battle system.
3. It was truly and genuinely funny, only the various Mario-related RPGs can say that.
4. It has a huge cult following, since it never had any other games released in America.
5. It has a good story despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that it doesn't take itself seriously.
6. Many of the people that worked on Earthbound went on to work on the Pokemon series.
I have to agree with this guy. I loved everything about this game, for once, I wasn't playing as a stereotypical class or race, or use the generic sword, lance, or any other generic weapon to attack enemies. Instead, it was just a normal kid with some really weird friends going on an adventure to defeat pure evil(Giygas, another awesome character).

Not only that, it has one of my favorite soundtracks to ever appear in a video game. For example, just listen to the theme that plays just before the main menu, it's just nostalgic to say the least. The main battle theme was just weird, and unlike any music anyone ever heard in a game before, which is a good thing. It was innovative, and even had some psychedelic/progressive sounds to it, along with jazz sounds to it. By the way, the jazzy tune to Fourside was kickass, before they decided to **** it up in Melee.

It had a clever script and solid characters. I'm really looking forward to the Mother 3 translation and I hope it is half as awesome as Mother 2(Earthbound) was.

Top Bottom