• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best moments in Melee history?

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
What's the blue laser combo?
Chibo's original channel was deleted, but this was the final stock of a tournament. The only video that remains is from Scar and Pakman's combo videos.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Why is mike haggar allowed on these boards? All he does is say racist s*** about America and hate on mango

JKJ

Smash Ace
Armada, just curious, how did it feel to do that double stitchface combo on Mango?

Armada

Smash Lord
I just started to have a big troll smile once I did it =D

During my taunt I (seriously) get a feeling that I will take get another stich so I instantly went for it. A bit like the first stich face combo, it was meant to happen ;)

JKJ

Smash Ace
How in the
WHAT
Honestly, man, how do you FEEL A STITCHFACE
Either way
Only you can ever pull off combos like that

Ridiculous. To me that has to be one of the best moments in Smash.

Armada

Smash Lord
I have no idea, it just came to my mind or something.
Like I already could see the combo uploaded on YT or something =D

It was one of the most funny moments for me at least!
Since it was some matches with me and Mango and tons of people wanted to see it I had to show them something they haven't seen before, right? ;)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have no idea, it just came to my mind or something.
Like I already could see the combo uploaded on YT or something =D

It was one of the most funny moments for me at least!
Since it was some matches with me and Mango and tons of people wanted to see it I had to show them something they haven't seen before, right? ;)
I appreciate that you can give actually credit where it's due and not thinking about that encouraging Kage is a bad idea. (Asking generally: When did that start anyway?)

But lol at that last statement, omg.. At least you also have that instinct that tells you stuff sometimes. =P Definitely not many with that power.

this is a top moment for me, really shows how great the smash community is with giving props where props are do and getting hype #yolo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Uww-o1MoJJI#t=121s
It's too bad he only beat me in that top 8 pools. =/

Armada

Smash Lord
Kage: No problem man!
For me it is one of the absolutely biggest moments. Not many players have been able to defeat Mango at all and then doing it twice is even more impressive. I hate the fact that so many people have such a huge problem to give credit where it's due =/

Hopefully more people learn the lesson eventually ;)

Yeah I don't know how though :p
I don't feel it often though (so no one should even bother to ask if specific stichfaces etc was something I did feel too cause in most cases it is a simpel no).

ShrieK: I decided to throw away the stich because I already had a pretty huge lead. Amsah is very good at catching the stiches and I did not need the stich to win the match. Giving him a chance to catch it and use it against me could have switched the game around completely. I don't care if I could have won bigger because that's not the important part but to actually win the match. Then the bomb just showed up randomly which was kinda fun to see :p

ACE: For me personaly (and many people will agree but because of other reasons) that rest is FAR away from that one on battelfield.
People can choose to believe me or not when Im saying this but that rest on PS was actually one I decided to roll into and let me explain why.

The reason why I decided to take a decission that maybe will be seen as ******** is because of many humans works but let me take some background story befor I will come to the point. When Mango first rested me on BF it was a great read that switched the momentum a lot. I also had a very bad attitude towards Puff as a character which made it even harder for me to lose a game like that.

As we can see in the fifth game instead of pretty even matches as we had before it starts getting very one sided and Im not only losing but Im losing big. The momentum was so strong in Mangos favor and it is even harder to get it back in a MU like that when I have no real combos or anything that can fast swtich it into my favor (except for Stiches I guess).

Then very fast Amsah vs EK (the four stock comeback) came to my mind and I decided that rolling into the rest and actually hope he would hit with it. In that four stock comeback and in this game we can both see one thing in common. EK/Mango starts playing MUCH worse because they have so much momentum so they start doing very stupid stuff as a result of it being to easy for the moment without even realize it is LAST game in the set (in both examples). So when I decided to roll into Mango I hoped he would start getting so much confident that he started to do stupid stuff.

As we can see the strategy ALMOST worked out and I do think it would have been a much bigger win for Mango if he actually never hit me with that rest. For that reason I can't appreciate that rest more. The one on battelfield also was in a position when I had a little bit momentum and in the lead in the set which is another 2 reasons why it was more impressive.

The mental part of smash is super important and here is a pretty good story that is showing some parts of it ;)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The mental battle huh? That's where all the magic happens. It's how you feel the special powers all top players have. There's just something different about every single one.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
ACE: For me personaly (and many people will agree but because of other reasons) that rest is FAR away from that one on battelfield.
People can choose to believe me or not when Im saying this but that rest on PS was actually one I decided to roll into and let me explain why.

The reason why I decided to take a decission that maybe will be seen as ******** is because of many humans works but let me take some background story befor I will come to the point. When Mango first rested me on BF it was a great read that switched the momentum a lot. I also had a very bad attitude towards Puff as a character which made it even harder for me to lose a game like that.

As we can see in the fifth game instead of pretty even matches as we had before it starts getting very one sided and Im not only losing but Im losing big. The momentum was so strong in Mangos favor and it is even harder to get it back in a MU like that when I have no real combos or anything that can fast swtich it into my favor (except for Stiches I guess).

Then very fast Amsah vs EK (the four stock comeback) came to my mind and I decided that rolling into the rest and actually hope he would hit with it. In that four stock comeback and in this game we can both see one thing in common. EK/Mango starts playing MUCH worse because they have so much momentum so they start doing very stupid stuff as a result of it being to easy for the moment without even realize it is LAST game in the set (in both examples). So when I decided to roll into Mango I hoped he would start getting so much confident that he started to do stupid stuff.

As we can see the strategy ALMOST worked out and I do think it would have been a much bigger win for Mango if he actually never hit me with that rest. For that reason I can't appreciate that rest more. The one on battelfield also was in a position when I had a little bit momentum and in the lead in the set which is another 2 reasons why it was more impressive.

The mental part of smash is super important and here is a pretty good story that is showing some parts of it ;)

I had so many mixed emotions when reading this. If you weren't Armada, then there's no way in hell I'd believe it, but since you are, I will. As someone who has always had the label of a conservative/defensive playing style, this would have to be one of the ballsiest attempts in all of melee history. Not going for a knee off stage or committing to a hard read, but letting yourself intentionally get rested game five of grand finals, not only losing your stock but creating one of the most memorable melee moments of all time.
I said a mix of emotions, because when I first read it, that moment became substantially less cool and meaningful. However as I think about it more and more, this might actually make it in some ways even more interesting.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante

Amsah/EK is one of the greatest matches/comebacks ever... but this thread is about single moments in melee history. That rest was unbelievably hype (Mango's first huge challenge in years, the overall hype of such a carefully planned and long awaited tournament, and just the fact that you came here for the first time all contributed to how hype it was), and I'm sure I'm not the only one that considers it being way up on the list of greatest moments ever. Also, I'm not completely buying in to your story. Is it REALLY wise to bring the match to 3 stocks vs 1 stock 0% at game 5? Against a character you just stated you "have no real combos or anything that can fast switch it into your favor"? Do you think Mango would have fallen for your baits over and over again until he lost all 3 stocks? Lol, it's questionable to say the least. It looks like that rest on BF was indeed more crucial to the outcome because it shook you up so much, but the one on PS was arguably more hype imho. At that point the tournament was basically over... which is why I find it hard to believe you intentionally threw away your 2nd stock, not to sound disrespectful dude. I've always been a fan of your peach and wish you would come back to the game.

Armada

Smash Lord
A lot of people is mentioning stuff that is at least a game but that's not really the point here.
Yeah that rest still was good, not gonna deny that but I do think the one on BF is MUCH better.

You don't need to buy my story, I know it's true and that's the most important thing for me. Is it really wise?
That's a important question a lot of times but important to remember that each scenario have different answers and in that state of mind I find it to be the BY FAR best thing I could do for the moment.

I already had pretty high % anyway (a f-smash would kill me for example). The affect of a rest in such a situation would affect the mind completely different (the crowd too) which is why it worked better for this scenario.

Yeah Peach has horrible combos vs Puff and the scenario was VERY bad for me. I needed to start to outplay Mango even harder then he had outplayed me in the begining to win the match. When you are behind it is even harder cause the one in the lead can go for even more safe stuff + trades etc. This chance was the best one I had.

Well Mango was 1 good hit away from losing the set so YEAH it was not like he won that game easily. You also have to remember the % already was high. It's not like that rest took a entire stock away. I did not lose that much since one f-smash or uppsmash could have killed me instead.

"Basically over" you even use that kind of mentatlity when you were not in the game. Do you really think it was impossible Mango felt like that too?
He started doing roll outs etc simillar to EKs f-smash spam vs Amsah cause it was "basically over" but in their heads it WAS most likely over already.

I actually like the mental part of competitions and how most humans works. It is a topic I find funny and I know my knowledge about it have helped me a few times. But yeah I do have some things during my time as a smasher that could be seen as "bull****/not trust worthy" but it is just thinking one step ahead many times.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
You've been a trustworthy person in the past, so I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to tell everyone this?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
some ones that come to mind include "HugS Balboa", "The Rest Heard Round the World," and the "Rockcrock Screwjob".

I'll post the vids in a bit.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah Armada, because it was 3 stocks to 1 stock, 0%, I am obviously crazy for assuming mango would win. I know that now. NOW, i know that taking a trade that makes it 3 stocks to 1 stock, both at 0% is still a viable stategy. ROFL. Dude 1 peach stock vs 3 puff stocks? when you openly admit that matchup is impossible to win? You sound stupid as **** man, just admit you hate that rest because at that point you knew FOR SURE you wouldn't win genesis. Quit being a ***** bro, you are the best in the world, and you know what I'm saying is right.

Armada

Smash Lord
You've been a trustworthy person in the past, so I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but out of curiosity, why did you wait so long to tell everyone this?
1: First of all I wasn't even a smash boards member until much after Genesis 1 (I think I did regisster in the spring 2010). I also talked way less on/around smashers when English was necessary. Not because I don't like the language (I actually find it cooler then Swedish at many points) but more because I use to be super bad at it and then it gets super hard to talk to people. Eventually I learned it better and now Im at least good enough to talk/understand a good ammount of it.

2: When it comes to a lot of stuff like this I don't have that feeling that I "have to" tell people like a lot of other peoples seems to have. It was a strategy I went for and that's about it. Now when the topic came up in this thread I felt for saying it. I do have some other stuff over the years that most people probably would have been a bit surprised about too :p

ACE: It's not crazy to assume he would win, it's crazy if you (not saying you are) don't think a mindset like that can make the other player play much worse and then the first player gets momentum = starts playing better.

"Impossible" is not the right word, I will give you that, but I honestly believe the MU is to bad to be played on the highest level of smash for sure. I don't care if other people agree with me or not. Before I came to genesis 1 the by far biggest part of America was convinced Peach COULD NOT win those big tournaments in America. That tons of the stuff I used against the people in Europe would not work against the Americans etc.

Sometimes (not often but still) when people say something that seems to be stupid it isn't, it's just them being one step ahead for the time being ;)
I KNEW for sure I wouldn't win?

Right now I really wanna think you are just a troll. Someone in that mindset would NEVER bring that back to last hit vs Mango, Im telling you that. Hard work and faith in yourself is necessary for that.

You are not correct :p
Im the person that have experienced all of this so I know what is true and what isn't. So don't even try to tell me what is true and not.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Dude, this is like a ****ing bigfoot sighting. "I saw it, I know it's true and that's all that matters" lmao.

I'm not trolling, if you really rolled into that rest purposely you took a very stupid gamble (despite how close you came to winning in the end) because of how the matchup has to be played (It's not like Marth giving up a stock vs Fox, for example, the hard punishment game for Peach on Puff just isn't there... taking stocks normally requires numerous intelligent reads and baits). No one in the right mind would opt for that. I can see why mango may have been slightly overconfident after that rest because it was just that obvious to everyone that he had like a 95% chance of winning at that point. It's like sheik 3 stocks 0% vs Ganon 1 stock 0% and Ganon can't chaingrab lol. It just sounds ridiculous.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I can see why mango may have been slightly overconfident after that rest because it was just that obvious to everyone that he had like a 95% chance of winning at that point.
You literally just admitted that Armada's claimed plan worked perfectly by making Mango overconfident and making him do dumb stuff.

Like you do realize that you just made a really strong argument against your own stance by noting that it did exactly what he's claiming he hoped it would, right

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I do have some other stuff over the years that most people probably would have been a bit surprised about too :p
Care to explain? I am rather curious haha

And I think part of the reason that ACE is so upset about this, is because it ruins that rest for him.

Armada

Smash Lord
Dude, this is like a ****ing bigfoot sighting. "I saw it, I know it's true and that's all that matters" lmao.

I'm not trolling, if you really rolled into that rest purposely you took a very stupid gamble (despite how close you came to winning in the end) because of how the matchup has to be played (It's not like Marth giving up a stock vs Fox, for example, the hard punishment game for Peach on Puff just isn't there... taking stocks normally requires numerous intelligent reads and baits). No one in the right mind would opt for that. I can see why mango may have been slightly overconfident after that rest because it was just that obvious to everyone that he had like a 95% chance of winning at that point. It's like sheik 3 stocks 0% vs Ganon 1 stock 0% and Ganon can't chaingrab lol. It just sounds ridiculous.
WAY to many people care so much about what other people think about them that it starts to annoy me. I do think the most important is that I know the real story behind it. I guess the fact that stuff like that annoys me is the reason I wrote like that in the first place.

Supid gamble? Can you please explain why?
Cause I already had such a high % so ONE good hit would killed me anyway. I did not gave away a completely free stock or something I gave away ONE hit and the reward I possibly could end up with (which I did) was a player that started to play like a idiot for some time there (because he "already had won") and then very stressed when he noticed it wasn't over.

Once again it is very many things in common with EK/Mangos matches here.
At first they start to do very stupid moves (EK chargeing f-smashes like hell and Mango using roll outs etc). When they realize Amsah/Me is starting to do a comeback they start to stress out and don't take the right ammount of time ofr understand how to do things they normally would. Which builds up in even more momentum for Amsah/Me. I know I ended up losing but it was hella close in the end.

No one in the right mind? According to you?
I don't agree and I could see myself do a simillar decission again in some kind of competition if it feels like the right thing to do.

You also understand that you basically said Mango "may have been slightly overcofident" which at that point was the only thing I was going for since sine this MU " requires numerous intelligent reads and baits"

The plan was to try to make him play worse (worked out) which almost ended up with me WINNING. You can cleary see it in the match what happens with Mango after that rest. Which also kinda proves that this strategy I was using actually IS good sometimes because of humans having a hard time with the mental part of the game ( a lot of times).

Give Mango one hit and in reward ending up with a player that started to play much worse is one of the smarter moves I made. It was a gamble but the way I see it was so worrth it and I will never regret it because it was a smart choice cause I had a much bigger chance to win (still a very bad chance but better).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You literally just admitted that Armada's claimed plan worked perfectly by making Mango overconfident and making him do dumb stuff.

Like you do realize that you just made a really strong argument against your own stance by noting that it did exactly what he's claiming he hoped it would, right

No I didn't. I said I wasn't surprised if mango got SLIGHTLY overconfident, and I explained why... because the match was that ****ing lopsided, stocks-wise and matchup-wise. It's extremely common in almost any competitive setting to see someone try a tiny bit less when they feel as if they are a shoe in for victory, you always see it. I just don't believe that he did it on purpose. I'd seriously be more inclined to believe that he got styled on by rolling toward mango from being shook up, then capitalized on mango being slightly lax after the rest, simply from being very determined on his last stock (armada, and pp, for example, are known for doing well on their last stocks). And this really isn't an argument. I'm not trying to sway the minds of flaming armada fanboys and melee discussion junkies, I'm just saying I don't buy this bull**** lol.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
The Best Moments in Melee History.
This is when you sit down with your friends.
The moments you make every week.
In your House.
Or in your local gaming Store.
It all starts.
With a Controller.
And.
You.
The Laughs you shared.
The Rage.
The Fun.
The Combos...
And.
The Salt.
Stories are made.
Every match is a tale.
Even as bad as it was.
You will reflect on these games.
One day.
And remember.
The fun times.
Even those guys who ruined the fun some days.
You will remember.
Things come and go.
Sad as it may seem.
Make the moment of it.
In a tournament.
Friendlies.
And
Those money matches.
One day.
You will laugh.
And.
Remember.
Probably with your friends.
Super Smash Brothers.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
hey armada, wondering when you next planned to come back to the states
wud really like to see you "out of your element" just for fun
like team with a much lesser smasher and carry him in teams lol
but yea wud be cool if you do more smashfests with mango or m2k and go all out with a ton of chars
to be honest my fav mu is you vs shiz but ive only seen a few friendlies and that set at genesis
you guys teaming wud be dope GGs mang :)

Armada

Smash Lord
Maybe will travel to America at some point during 2014 just for fun. Maybe a cool roadtrip if some smashers would be up for it and then visit a tournament to see everyone again. Nothing is planned though but maybe it will happen.

I don't have any plans to enter any melee events if I would end up coming to a tournament though. I do enter PM at tournaments just for fun but a real "comeback" would maybe be if smash 4 turns out to be good and I feel for playing a game competitive when it comes out.

Haha of the active players around the time of Genesis 1 Shiz was my favorite player =D (EK and then KDJ will always be my two favorites though even if Shiz would be somewhere between 3-5th I guess).

DaTalkingFrog

Smash Rookie
smash4 can only be amazing or just another ***** so theres a %50 chance
Well even if it ends up not appealing to the competitive community, it's possible that the community might take up making a Project M-like mod for Smash 4. Also a few Smash veterans are already making their own Smash-inspired game, Air Dash Online so there's an option for the community to head there too. Not to mention that Melee and Brawl are still going strong to this day, although it did take Melee a bit to grow again after a lot of people left due to he release of Brawl. Whatever happens, it is nice to know the community has a lot of options to continue to live on.

Armada

Smash Lord
smash4 can only be amazing or just another ***** so theres a %50 chance
My expectations of the next smash is not high at all. Nintendo has been dissapointing me so many times for the past... 6,5 years or whatever it was since Wii was released.

The chances of a super good smash game is low but at least it's not 0%.
If Nintendo can prove me wrong on this game I will happily admit I was wrong

Top Bottom