• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

best gimping character

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
i seem to play really aggressivley.

who is the best character that is good at edgeguarding / gimping

when i play as snake, i seem to never use nikita and just jump out and try for a spike 98% of the time.

what is a charecter that is cheap, gimps, jumps after the person, footstools/spikes/gimps them until they burst out in fury?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Metaknight.

But Ice Climbers have potential for some amazing edgeguarding. Nana fair out of a grab can lead to her immediately grabbing the edge, while Popo stays on the stage. Or you can do a quick floating Nana glitch, for some amazing edgeguarding. It's just more difficult and riskier for them to go far off the stage.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Only two people have said Mario so far? I'm surprised.

Mario is the best gimping character. Meta-Knight is the best edgeguarder. MK would probably be the smartest choice, seeing as he's pretty much god tier, but Mario is always looking for more people to represent him!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If you really don't know its Meta Knight at this point, I don't even know what to say.

Panix

Smash Ace
Metaknight without a doubt in anyone's mind. Mainly because of his "omg where the hell that come from" Up+B

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Its MK, by a pretty shockingly wide margin. Ignore people who tell you differently. Metaknight is twice the gimper of the next best. Spike be ****ed, he has 5 jumps, and specials with unbelievable recovery utility. More importantly he has no-lag aerials with beastly range and the best aerial "priority" in the game. Off the ledge nobody holds a candle to MK.

Also, next time you want to know "who's the best X" with the exception of KOs, its MK. And he's ****ed good at those too.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Bro im gonna say Metaknight... But if you hate him like almost everyone else does.. go with Mario or Peach ... Mario Meteor smash , cape , fludd, Peach floating, turnips, toad.. down aerial ;) , peach bomber

Gea

Smash Master
Eh. Peach has a hard time getting to where she needs to be quick enough. She's not bad by any means, but with her crappy double jump and gimped backgrabbing parasol, it is a challenge for her to effectively edgeguard below the level of the stage. That is, if you miss or trade hits, you can easily die yourself after losing your float.

She is a beast at hogging the edge, however.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
MK is amazing at edge guarding and gimping. Mario is good at gimping mostly.

Threads like these always turn into people saying that their main is the best at whatever the thread is about. I can talk all day about how good Lucario is a gimping but i'm not going to...

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
  • cheap - That's called efficient in the competitive seen. Based on tier lists-- MK. IMO-- Ice Climbers.
  • gimps - Or low percent kills-- Mario and Pit. Recovery reversal > you.
  • jumps after the person - Every character can jump after another, it's quickest with Yoshi and Jiggly puff. Glide wise Pit and MK. MK also has the most options in doing so.
  • footstools- Jiggs. Yoshi has more aerial movement speed but he no other character can change directions as much as Jiggs can. Add in multiple jumps and air dodges and you have the best footstooler. Marth's is the most practical.
  • spikes -All depends on what you're looking for.
    Captain Falcon's looks the manliest.
    Diddy has a recovery spike and a regular one.
    Donkey Kong has two with generally safe range, one that stops aerial movement and an easily accessible stage spike.
    Falco's is the most practical and also has a recovery spike.
    Fox's dair to shine is pretty nifty and works wonders on stages with walls as he can continue to shine and still recover.
    Game and Watch has his key though it's not the safest thing to use off stage.
    Ganon has unrivaled power and extends a bit past him.
    Only Nana can spike with the Ice climbers but chaingrab to d-throw fair is incredible for KOs, gimps for certain characters, and early combos or later locks.
    Ike has a recovery spike which has a reverse pull effect for surprise edgeguarder spikes and his dair is disjointed, always nice.
    King Dedede has his recovery spike which is insane on water stages and beats Snake's recovery.
    Kirby has the dair drill which also puts him into position for footstool, multiple jumps for several attempts and a recovery that is similar to Ike's without the pull effect.
    Lucas has his bair and mulithit dair for airdodge catches.
    Luigi has his dair and the only true spike in the game using his taunt on an opponent on the edge.
    Mario has his fair which is beautiful using after FLUDD and the cape.
    Marth still has his dair most used after footstools in Brawl, and a stage spike using Usmash against a ledged opponent.
    Despite what some will tell you Meta Knight does not have any spikes besides stage ones, his dair does semi- spike however.
    Ness has his dair as usual.
    Olimar has a small disjoint on his dair, though only the blue Pikmin can survive in water, I've heard the Fire Pikmin spikes best, but I don't see much of a difference.
    Pokémon Trainer's Ivysaur has a low hitstun spike at the back of it's nair, Charizard's dair spikes as does his bair when it sweeps under him.
    R.O.B. uses it's dair combined with it's Pit like recovery for multiple attempts if necessary. Samus has her dair which has absolutely no lag, nice for follow ups after dair or missle barrages.
    Snake's fair as you know. Toon Link's dair at the beginning, probably the riskiest spike in game.
    Wolf's dair.
    Yoshi has his multiple kicks from hell with a recovery to make it back from any spiking area. Aaaaaaaaaaaannnd Zelda has her dair, I think the stun frames are Smash Diable though.
Every character can be "cheap" if you know how to make them that way. Every character can gimp, but it is easiest for those two characters. Everyone can jump after a character, different characters excel in different areas depending on what you're looking for. Every character footstool, due to Jigg's air movement, recovery, and multiple jumps however she tops all characters in this area she absolutely ***** characters with long lasting aerial attacks (ex:Ike) using this. And everyone can stage spike at least, using a drop off ledge to aerial assault move, I may have missed some, and I'm sure there may be even more found but this is the jist of it. In anycase it's all how you use the character. Good luck.
-.-

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't seem cheap to me. >_>
It takes skill to spike with it as I'm sure you know, but when it does hit it usually gets what it's made to do done.

I try to use it far away from the stage where most people won't expect it.
Possibly his worst move though.
<_<;

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Every character can be "cheap" if you know how to make them that way. Every character can gimp, but it is easiest for those two characters.
I dunno much about peach, I just throw turnips and do float attacks and Utilt is so pretty.
Honestly, Peach has trouble KOing, and isn't good at gimping at all (maybe no real gimp ability at all) The only thing she is really good at is racking-up damage. Still, she is one of the more fun characters in the game.

But I do agree that peach can be very cheap =D

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is always going for the aerial gimp. Of the other characters I play, Pikachu has good gimping ability, but no spike, and G&W has a very weak spike (pan) and good gimping ability. Lucas has a good spike that's hard to land and rarely utilized.

Flowbeat

Smash Cadet
no one mentions shiek? just go watch some of gimpyfish's vids. she's got her gimptastic fair, bair, nair, needles, vanish, and an awesome side b tether the only thing she is missing over the edge is a non stage spike spike and maybe wings. i find edgeguarding and gimp most enjoyable with her

Top Bottom