• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Best controller?

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Title. Aside from the GCN with the adapter, which would you say is the best controller for playing smash competitively?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I personally don't like the Pro controller for it's stiff and overly sensative sticks. I ended up buying a Hori Battle Pad while I wait for the adapters to restock.

If anything else, I actually prefer the Gamepad. It's strange to get used to but at least you can actually walk and pull of tilts with it

Last edited:

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
I love the Pro controller. Had a great battery life and works pretty smooth. I normally play with the GC controller. But since I've been playing a lot Smash 3DS I have gotten used to the controls. So yeah.... Wii U Pro Controller.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I'm a fan of the Wii U Pro controller and the Wii U GamePad, personally. I swore by the GameCube controller for the longest time, but playing Smash 4 on the 3DS changed my muscle memory, so the GCN controller feels foreign now. Still have an adaptor when friends come over, though.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
It doesn't matter what controller you use, as long as it's not any of the following: Wii remote, wii remote + nunchuck, Wii u gamepad. Wii remote doesn't have enough control options, no c stick, just not a really good way to play smash. Wii remote+ nunchuck has the same problem because button jump is more accurate and offers better precision (precision you'll need if you really want to get good). Wii u gamepad is bad because you're going to break every controller you use if you smash enough with it, and they're difficult to replace.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter what controller you use, as long as it's not any of the following: Wii remote, wii remote + nunchuck, Wii u gamepad. Wii remote doesn't have enough control options, no c stick, just not a really good way to play smash. Wii remote+ nunchuck has the same problem because button jump is more accurate and offers better precision (precision you'll need if you really want to get good). Wii u gamepad is bad because you're going to break every controller you use if you smash enough with it, and they're difficult to replace.
1. wii mote-Agree
2. Wii mote + nunchuck-false, I've been able to do it accurately with just the regular control stick(then again, i've used this controller option during the brawl era, so i'm just used to it), c-stick is not a necessity, it's an optional thing(I will agree that it does help with tilts though). If you do want to add a c-stick you can customize it into the the controller(you can swing your wii mote into the direction you want for that particular smash attack. It's VERY sensitive though.)
3. Gamepad: False, Been smashing since this came out, have not have a single problem. Been smashing a long time with other controllers(GC, N64, Wii remote+nun-chuck) and all my controllers work fine.

Now onto controller types. Use anything really, just use what's comfortable to you. Anything but the stand alone wii remote, it's really the worst controller option IMO.

The best controller option? DK bongos obviously

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
1. wii mote-Agree
2. Wii mote + nunchuck-false, I've been able to do it accurately with just the regular control stick(then again, i've used this controller option during the brawl era, so i'm just used to it), c-stick is not a necessity, it's an optional thing(I will agree that it does help with tilts though). If you do want to add a c-stick you can customize it into the the controller(you can swing your wii mote into the direction you want for that particular smash attack. It's VERY sensitive though.)
3. Gamepad: False, Been smashing since this came out, have not have a single problem. Been smashing a long time with other controllers(GC, N64, Wii remote+nun-chuck) and all my controllers work fine.

Now onto controller types. Use anything really, just use what's comfortable to you. Anything but the stand alone wii remote, it's really the worst controller option IMO.

The best controller option? DK bongos obviously
I believe you when you say all your controllers work fine, but in my friend group, and i believe in the smash community at large, the game has been known to be a controller destroyer. My buddies 3ds now has no working shoulder buttons because of the game. Every nintendo controller i've ever had break was because of smash, and I've gone through about 5 gc controllers, and 2 nunchucks. as far as precision goes, I think everyone reading this should at least go back and try/ reconsider using button jump, because of the added precision options, but it's personal preference at the end of the day, and you're opinion is correct because its an opinion.

Last edited:

Edigital23

Smash Rookie
NNID
Edigital23
3DS FC
4253-3504-1896
I just got my GC Adapter. So since Day 1 I've been using the Wii U Pro. My sister came over, I let her use the Wii U Pro, and I used the Wii Classic Pro to play Smash Brothers Wii U. I feel Wii Classic Pro is better for some reason. At the end of the day GC Pad is the best of the best for this franchise. Never used Wii Mote, Nunchuck or Gamepad. Dont intend to either.

Last edited:

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
Whitout counting the Gamecube Controller.

1) Wii U pro controller
2) 3ds XL
3) 3ds
4) Wii U gamepad
5) Wiimote and nunchuck
6) Wiimote

But maybe my thoughs can change.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
I hope the pro controller doens't have the massive input lag the hori controller does. Seriously try that controller and you'll notice some horrendous input lag.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The best controller is the controller that you are the most comfortable using.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
The Wii U Pro Controller is what I use because GC Adapter shortage. It's probably the most reliable, with just about no input lag, but it costs around $50, which is outrageous.

Top Bottom