• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best character for "reads" in your opinion ?

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
I'd say Puff and CF, and possibly spacies (it depends how you play them)

?

AirFair

Marth tho
I have to agree with CF, as I don't play Puff. Basically any character that can cover a lot of options with one move is good for techchasing and reading.

TheKobanator

Smash Rookie
If we're making reads, Falcon is definitely the man. Puff is good, but doesn't have the speed of Falcon, or as large selection of options.

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
Falcon for reads for sure. Puff gets a lot of ground out of reads, :GCD::GCB: and all, but she can't really techchase, just cover some options, walling you out and edgeguarding are stronger suits

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
Marth comes through super hard with reads.
In tournament, if I get a proper read that I chain into a grab, one stock gone.
:201n::201o: :201j::201o::201h::201n::201s:

Shaaack

Smash Cadet
I'm asking this because honestly, I think i'm a player with a "reader" mentality, and tech chase and reads are probably the things I like the most in Melee and smash in general and I don't really know if Marth fits me for that.

Bones0

Smash Legend
People like to use Falcon and Sheik as examples of reading characters becauase of tech chasing, but honestly you can just react so it doesn't make much sense to go for reads. Both of them can play the game just fine without reading their opponent because they have great speed and super automatic combos (totally reaction based).

I think Doc/Mario benefit the most from reading because it can be hard to get an initial hit without a good idea of what your opponent is going to do or where they are trying to move to. You also have to read their DI to get the most out of your punishes (things like dsmashing when they are trying to DI a uair away).

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
As a Puff main, I find reads extremely important. Reading a recovery with spaced bairs or a well timed f-smash can be the end of a stock. For example, if a Fox is about to side-b onto the stage, I set up an f-smash. If he shortens it to the ledge, I jump away after. If he misses the shorten, its a stock.

SSS

Smash Ace
If you like techchasing and reading, pick Captain Falcon.

It's a long, difficult road, but one that is well worth it in the end. Watch out, he's way more technical than you think.

Good luck. I believe in you.

Top Bottom