• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Link in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This thread is to discuss your thoughts on Link from the playable demo at Best Buy. Please visit the other characters boards to discuss different characters.

---

With the playable demos on Wednesday, June 11 and Saturday, June 14, smashers who couldn't attend e3 will have the chance to experience Super Smash Brothers for the Wii U hands on for the first time.

- For information, Click here.
- To find a location near you, Click here.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
If you watch some of the footage from yesterday Link has a much improved run speed and relatively low traction; this means that he's got a long slide distance on his usmash still.
Not DACUS long, but longer than what he has in Brawl. I'd need to go back through the footage to 100% confirm this, but I feel pretty certain (as I had to assure one of my friends that what he did definitely didn't look like a DACUS)

Also, those insta-fire arrows on the ground.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Someone has to test if the mighty SKRAAAAAAA, also known as spin attack, is back to its former Melee glory, or at least better than it was in Brawl.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
This is my analysis for Link in this video from yesterday http://youtu.be/zRn9KnQL_Hg

• Around second 12 we can see that the dair does a nice 21% to Greninja.
  • At 1:22 we can see Link's up smash, which does 19% to Mario.
  • At 2:35 Link jumps, double jumps and then Fairs, just before landing he manages to pull a dair, which I think it means that as soon as he finishes the fairs second slash Link's able to act.
  • Around 3:15 Link lands the sourspot of the nair to Little Mac, which does %5, with some knockback behind it despite being the sourspot, leaving him at %66.
  • 3:20, Link hits Greninja with a dtilt, which seems to be a lot faster and does 12%.
  • 3:25 and 3:38, mid air spin attack, might be my optimism, but I think it actually goes higher than it did in Brawl.
  • 4:44 down smash wich does 19%, Mario being at 68% after the hit is attacked with a dash attack, leaving him at 81%, dash attacks seems to have quite a bit of knockback, although it might have been bad DI because Mario was bairing just before being hit.
That's what I could get that was somewhat relevant, might have missed a couple of things, so feel free to keep on checking that vid. Might as well do another one for the celebrity match, since Link appeared there as well.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Played him today, got the match recorded and some friends and I are going to review it in detail. Some quick thoughts from my experience:

UpB
-Goes about twice as high as in Brawl
-Uncharged sourspotted (aka after the initial hit) is extremely weak like in Brawl; if you were hoping for a return to the Melee UpB you will not get it.

Dash Attack
-The range is surprising; I kept completely overshooting opponents with it, which is a welcome feeling for a generally slower character. Since I couldn't HIT with it I have to go to a second source and say that I've HEARD that it's a very strong move (very reminiscent of the jump attack in LoZ games both in terms of animation and power)

The back roll gets my LoZ fanboyism going; it's very quick, and dat backflip animation

Uair
-Completely revamped; Link leans back (aka away from where he's poking his sword); initial hit is very strong, comes out quick; new and great kill move. MUCH less strict timing doing it from a FH; in fact I didn't notice any landing lag from it, so the move seems very generous compared to past iterations

Jab combo strings together very nicely, good horizontal knockback; with SDI/DIing out of moves significantly more difficult and the lack of crouch cancelling it should be a great spacing tool. Not a kill move.

Boomerang
-Seems to have very little lag after the throw
-Has knock-up similar to P:M's boomerang iteration; not sure what it's combo potential is but it might become a useful set up for kill moves

Also note that general mechanics have changed significantly. Kill range for Link seems to be around 70-120%; general killrange seems to be around there for all characters and I would need a lot more experience/time to get a good feeling for when exactly kill range is for Link. Uair seems to kill relatively low though.

Last edited:

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
I haven't played yet but wow. Im pretty happy with what I've seen so far. Look forward to more info from all those who have played.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Played him today, got the match recorded and some friends and I are going to review it in detail. Some quick thoughts from my experience:

UpB
-Goes about twice as high as in Brawl
-Uncharged sourspotted (aka after the initial hit) is extremely weak like in Brawl; if you were hoping for a return to the Melee UpB you will not get it.

Dash Attack
-The range is surprising; I kept completely overshooting opponents with it, which is a welcome feeling for a generally slower character. Since I couldn't HIT with it I have to go to a second source and say that I've HEARD that it's a very strong move (very reminiscent of the jump attack in LoZ games both in terms of animation and power)

The back roll gets my LoZ fanboyism going; it's very quick, and dat backflip animation

Uair
-Completely revamped; Link leans back (aka away from where he's poking his sword); initial hit is very strong, comes out quick; new and great kill move. MUCH less strict timing doing it from a FH; in fact I didn't notice any landing lag from it, so the move seems very generous compared to past iterations

Jab combo strings together very nicely, good horizontal knockback; with SDI/DIing out of moves significantly more difficult and the lack of crouch cancelling it should be a great spacing tool. Not a kill move.

Boomerang
-Seems to have very little lag after the throw
-Has knock-up similar to P:M's boomerang iteration; not sure what it's combo potential is but it might become a useful set up for kill moves

Also note that general mechanics have changed significantly. Kill range for Link seems to be around 70-120%; general killrange seems to be around there for all characters and I would need a lot more experience/time to get a good feeling for when exactly kill range is for Link. Uair seems to kill relatively low though.
Plz try the bomb jump! would be great we have it again.

Blackrider213

Smash Apprentice
Link's dash attack is definitely stronger. I got a kill with it, though I can't remember at what percent. Regardless, it kills way faster than in Brawl or Melee.

Has anyone got a Dair meteor smash yet? I'm just wondering if Sakurai decided to back down from changing his Dair to a meteor smash.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
YOOOOO @ Anonano Anonano what is up with it?! Glad to see you here dude, doing dat work with all that analysis. I'll post a few things from my one game that I got to play today. I should be playing more this weekend at Nintendo World, so you'll be hearing more from me later. ;)

UpB is more like Brawl's, which is disappointing. So no semispike. The uncharged version seems a little stronger.

Link feels very similar to his Brawl iteration, but stronger. I didn't have the opportunity to check out every move but he feels good.

His sideB has more start up but it combos into itself if you sweetspot it, which is ridiculous. On that note, it has a lot of combo potential and is kinda reminiscent of the PM boomerang, which I love.

Zair still has zero landing lag (!!!) and more range, and is faster, almost instant. Super good spacing tool.

Nair no longer auto cancels :( Bair does though! I never used down air (lol) but i was told it has less landing lag, which is pretty sick.

UpB in the air goes wayyyyy farther. Not being able to be ledgehogged is sick, especially for Link.

I hardly got to use bombs or arrows, which I regret since there was so much bomb tech as Link in Brawl.

Never landed a grab so I didn't get to check that out. I did whiff one though, which had a lot of recovery of course.

OH and all the hits of upsmash link together properly at high percents, you know, when it matters.

I wish I had a better grasp of the controls, otherwise I would have made more of my opportunity to play. But it was a fun match I got to play with friends using my favorite Smash character. AND I WON.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Ok, Played 5 rounds of the game, won every match, and I loved every second.
First of all, Link's Up-b recovery no longer has that weird deadzone of momentum (more melee like)
As mentioned Z-air Auto cancels still.
I got some time to work some ATs and most of em still work:
OoS Up-smash works.
ZAC aerials work nicely.
ledge tricks like zedge and multi chain still work.
gale gimps still happen (if done precisely).
I swear I bombslid like 3 times.
Jab cancels are better than ever.
Bomb to footstool D-air is still totally a thing.
Gale induced 2-hit f-smash works, and the new horizontal trajectory on D-smash back hit makes it really nasty off gale tricks.
I had a hard time seeing it, but I could swear the BDACUS worked out of spotdodge. Couldn't land DACUS but maybe I failed it on the Pro controller...

Link jumps a bit higher, recovers a bit better, his rolls are great (especially backroll), spotdodge is still good, Dash attack is stronger but slower (seems like he dodges low hits on jump though >:D) and it seems like there is increased hitstun and led me to some nice hit-confirms. The trajectories on his throws are more useful, didn't really get a feel for whether it's faster or not. Increased tether length is GORGEOUS, and Link seems to hit harder overall.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Liking the sound that you can do the bomb to footstool D-air. Any confirmations if the "bomb footstool jab lock set up" still a thing?

Last edited:

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Nice to know we can do tether regrabs, but I've heard that you don't regain any invincibility frames from grabbing the edge a second time until you've landed on the stage again, so zair edgehogging probably isn't going to be a thing

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Link can't hit his bombs, that much I am fairly certain of. That or I timed the bomb recovery just a hair off, but I couldn't seem to hit my bombs at all.

ooh ooh ooh and Link moves faster in air and on ground. MOAR mobility!!!!

@ Scabe Scabe As long as jab still causes the wobble animation it'll definitely work. Bomb to footstool N-air sourspot did work, but I was being ganged before I could test the jab-lock.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Link actually looks pretty solid this time around! Hopefully he isn't a low tier again. If Link was good in both Project M AND Smash 4, it would mean the world to me and my fortunes in the scene. :3

*Edit: Like previously asked, did Link keep his down tilt spike?

Last edited:

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
I'm liking the new dash attack (Jump Slash). From what I've seen from the Treehouse footage, The attack does approximately 14% damage, has good range, and has great knockback--which makes it a solid KO move at higher percents.

Jump to 4:27 where Nate Bihldorff from NOA talks about Link's changes, along with his added Jump Slash.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Jump slash looks good, kills wii fit girl at 109% and looks like it might have a bit of super armor?
Link would definitely benefit from super armorI
I think his projectiles need to be more spammy

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Are his arrows slower than brawl?
Can boomerang knock people straight up like in melee up close?
How are bombs in this one?

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
Are his arrows slower than brawl?
Can boomerang knock people straight up like in melee up close?
How are bombs in this one?
The are faster in the demo.
It looks like is the same as brawl.
Maybe is just me but they seen to explode faster than the others prequels. May be a bomb-jump substitute?
Who knows i guess we have to see the finish work.

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
I have yet to play the demo but imo, from what I have read in this thread and what I have watched Link is turning out to be a very good character. His speed has been increased overall making him more of a threat in all previous games. With his dash attack now having kill potential and being able to cancel his landing lag(especially when you airdodge) by zair-ing he is less punishable. Also his recovery has increased greatly on both his UpB and his teather grab. UpB goes higher(and looks beautiful) and his teather will be able to catch the ledge at further distances. Im a little sad that he can't DACUS anymore but I think his overall speed increase does more than just makes up for it. I'm also disappointed that you can't land and arrow cancel but he shoots his normal arrow faster than he does in brawl so thats ok. I am glad Link is finally getting the upgrades he needs.(Also the first few frames of his dair spikes?! how cool is that?) ^__^

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
I played link for 2 minutes, the one thing I havent seen mentioned is that link has a sweet purple costume! Its very bright and pretty.
Also I hit with his final smash, its exactly the same as brawl from what i can tell. Overall I don't think 2 minutes is enough to judge how good the character is, like some people have said his dash attack is surprisingly strong, but I felt that may have been one of his very few kill moves.

Xmark

Smash Apprentice
I played link for 2 minutes, the one thing I havent seen mentioned is that link has a sweet purple costume! Its very bright and pretty.
Also I hit with his final smash, its exactly the same as brawl from what i can tell. Overall I don't think 2 minutes is enough to judge how good the character is, like some people have said his dash attack is surprisingly strong, but I felt that may have been one of his very few kill moves.
Woohoo Vio Link anybody? =D

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323
hope he gets his Dark Link color for this one. and i either want manga pre Skyward Sword Link' or Hyrule Warriors Link as his special costume.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
And what trayectory does the opponent follow after being hit with an arrow? Hopefully it's horizontal because that would make the arrow a nice long range edgeguarding tool like in Project M

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
And what trayectory does the opponent follow after being hit with an arrow? Hopefully it's horizontal because that would make the arrow a nice long range edgeguarding tool like in Project M
It's not totally horizontal, sadly.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
So it sends upwards it seems,if it has enough knockback it could edgegaurd or send uncharged arrows at a team mate to send them up and help recover.

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323
So far I'm liking all the changes for Link. He seems stronger this time around. hope he becomes tournament worthy.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
I really like him! They buffed him and made him a bit faster.

Any1 know if he still has his stage spike? Or his Zair with bomb? Or his Forward smash with a bomb?

I will be definitely maining Link! Really like his him new dash attack its very powerful and it would be a great move to end/start combos. And I love how they made his boomerang way faster and it looks more powerful! And his awesome back flip dodge.
They took that off of Twilight princess. And everything else his same as brawl. Link is gonna be awesome! Cant wait!
Recovery still bad. However, his fsmash and Fair are faster, as well as his movement in general. His jump speed is faster too. I did not play link personally but the people i came with did. Bombs have decreased knockback. But to compensate, his smash attacks have been made incredibly strong. Links boomerang is the same. Overall, his power will help him but his recovery will hold him back, once again. Boomerang is the same. Dash attack is not a running downward slash that can kill at high percents.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
He looked really good. I love how tethers have great range now so that can really help his recovery.

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
Link actually looks pretty solid this time around! Hopefully he isn't a low tier again. If Link was good in both Project M AND Smash 4, it would mean the world to me and my fortunes in the scene. :3

*Edit: Like previously asked, did Link keep his down tilt spike?
I believe so I'm not sure though but I think saw Link about to preform a Dtilt over the edge in a picture I figure it must spike otherwise there would be no reason to preform it

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
I really like him! They buffed him and made him a bit faster.

Any1 know if he still has his stage spike? Or his Zair with bomb? Or his Forward smash with a bomb?

I will be definitely maining Link! Really like his him new dash attack its very powerful and it would be a great move to end/start combos. And I love how they made his boomerang way faster and it looks more powerful! And his awesome back flip dodge.
They took that off of Twilight princess. And everything else his same as brawl. Link is gonna be awesome! Cant wait!
Recovery still bad. However, his fsmash and Fair are faster, as well as his movement in general. His jump speed is faster too. I did not play link personally but the people i came with did. Bombs have decreased knockback. But to compensate, his smash attacks have been made incredibly strong. Links boomerang is the same. Overall, his power will help him but his recovery will hold him back, once again. Boomerang is the same. Dash attack is not a running downward slash that can kill at high percents.
all the zair combos are all back still auto cancel, I believe he can still fsmash with the bombs some people at best buy have confirmed but I didn't see it myself. The boomerang has more knock back and does not have the wind animation as it travels back horizontal making it safer. In addition it send opponents in a diagonal trajectory when fired horizontally. His up b recovery is twice the distance of brawl with more knockback than brawl and the tether recovery has tripled. As for the d-tilt spike I not sure but I saw a picture of link attempting it so its most likely back

Last edited:

tetraforce

Smash Rookie
Link's dash attack is definitely stronger. I got a kill with it, though I can't remember at what percent. Regardless, it kills way faster than in Brawl or Melee.

Has anyone got a Dair meteor smash yet? I'm just wondering if Sakurai decided to back down from changing his Dair to a meteor smash.
The Dair is still a meteor I saw it at the invitational during the journalist press match also I think Link Upsmash has been buff I saw him KO Kirby at 64%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom