• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Bowser in Smash 4?

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
I honestly had no idea we had so many Bowser players in hiding.
I've just recently been interested in Bowser. If anything, he was my least favorite character in Smash Brothers since he looked as clunky and slow as he played. I've always been a guy interested in villain characters though, it's just Bowser never really caught my attention until now. His powerful and taller stature not only makes him look far better, his moves received cool changes. Now, he's the only character I played as at Smash Fest. I swear, at some point I wanted to play a newcomer but I couldn't help but play a cool badass villain that wrecked shop every time I played him.

I think a lot of Bowser players are now arising.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I've just recently been interested in Bowser. If anything, he was my least favorite character in Smash Brothers since he looked as clunky and slow as he played. I've always been a guy interested in villain characters though, it's just Bowser never really caught my attention until now. His powerful and taller stature not only makes him look far better, his moves received cool changes. Now, he's the only character I played as at Smash Fest. I swear, at some point I wanted to play a newcomer but I couldn't help but play a cool badass villain that wrecked shop every time I played him.

I think a lot of Bowser players are now arising.
Well it's nice that you've finally come around to liking Bowser!

And you're probably right about that. I feel as though people are going to be attracted by these quick, heavyweight powerhouses (expecting DK will be getting a lot more love as well). I've always been a fan of his character outside of Smash growing up, so that's what drove me to use him when he got introduced in Melee, but I know that isn't the case for everyone. Regardless, the more the merrier. The more people, the more activity around the boards. I want to really get to work when the game comes out so it's nice to have people to discuss the character with.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Of the three characters I played (the other two being Greninja and DK) Bowser felt the most fun. Really content with the changes in the demo.

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
Is Georgia the Bowser state and I didn't know it? Cuz that's cool with me.
It's funny, I know a fair number of smash people down in GA. I'd figure at least one of them enjoys the Bowz. I live in VA, but I head down on occasion to visit friends. Honorary GA Bowser?
What about his grab range and his throws?
This is where my memory is a little foggy. I remember feeling like his grab was a bit slow, but the range seemed ok. His back throw seemed good, but none of the others really stick out to me at present. I honestly didn't get a chance to do throw shenanigans in the FFAs.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It's about time Bowser got a lot of love. I just hope the hype and greatness for him continues in the finalized version.

:4bowser: He approves, and I hope the gold shelled (or white to some) one is still there.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
What about his grab range and his throws?
http://youtu.be/lL0F2BNCU2k?t=1m41s

If you slow the video down around when he does the banana toss into grab you can see that Samus is grabbed from just beond the tip of his knuckles. It's not 100% conclusive data I guess, but it seems like at least a good indicator of his new grab range. At the very least, it's nowhere near as stubby as it's been in previous iterations; It was like he was trying to grab with T-Rex arms or something.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
http://youtu.be/lL0F2BNCU2k?t=1m41s

If you slow the video down around when he does the banana toss into grab you can see that Samus is grabbed from just beond the tip of his knuckles. It's not 100% conclusive data I guess, but it seems like at least a good indicator of his new grab range. At the very least, it's nowhere near as stubby as it's been in previous iterations; It was like he was trying to grab with T-Rex arms or something.
Yeah, I think the range looks pretty solid. And I definitely prefer this new animation. One-handed grabs FTW.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Yeah, I think the range looks pretty solid. And I definitely prefer this new animation. One-handed grabs FTW.
I know right? Bowser knows he doesn't need both hands to keep all these puny people from running away!

Last edited:

MrEh

Smash Hero
Standing grab range looks slightly longer then in Brawl/Melee. Looks similar to standing Klaw range in Brawl. Excellent.

Good to see players interested in playing Bowser. Hope ya'll rep your respective regions.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Oh by the way, did anyone else notice that the Bair does seem to be short-hoppable? Looks like we get a few more options in the air now. http://youtu.be/fZflqX7IuqU?t=1m33s Notice that he starts charging that fsmash the instant he touches the ground. I'm guessing this means that Bair has a useful auto-cancel on it now which i'm sure most people were suspecting but now we have some visual evidence which supports the idea. If anyone can find some evidence that suggest otherwise then that'd be fine too, since it'd support another theory.

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
Oh by the way, did anyone else notice that the Bair does seem to be short-hoppable? Looks like we get a few more options in the air now. Notice that he starts charging that fsmash the instant he touches the ground. I'm guessing this means that Bair has a useful auto-cancel on it now which i'm sure most people were suspecting but now we have some visual evidence which supports the idea. If anyone can find some evidence that suggest otherwise then that'd be fine too, since it'd support another theory.
Seems accurate to me. B-air is love, b-air is life.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Gonna miss the old Bair's face-smashing priority though.

But this one looks much better overall.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Oh by the way, did anyone else notice that the Bair does seem to be short-hoppable? Looks like we get a few more options in the air now. http://youtu.be/fZflqX7IuqU?t=1m33s Notice that he starts charging that fsmash the instant he touches the ground. I'm guessing this means that Bair has a useful auto-cancel on it now which i'm sure most people were suspecting but now we have some visual evidence which supports the idea. If anyone can find some evidence that suggest otherwise then that'd be fine too, since it'd support another theory.
Ah! I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice at first but this is great. These aerial buffs are so golden!

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Ah! I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice at first but this is great. These aerial buffs are so golden!
Yeah, I can see this new Bair being great in matches against characters like Luigi, and Peach. Or anyone that likes to approach from the air, it seems like a great way to wall them out. Sounds like great way to discourage jumping so we can keep the fight on the ground.

His new Nair seems to be crazy good as well.
Yeah, it looks like a nice spacing tool in the air, and maybe it could be useful for aerial cross-ups and combos. I like the presence of these new multi-hitting attacks in Bowser's arsenal, it seems like they give him a little more vesatility and help with racking up damage.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, I can see this new Bair being great in matches against characters like Luigi, and Peach. Or anyone that likes to approach from the air, it seems like a great way to wall them out. Sounds like great way to discourage jumping so we can keep the fight on the ground.
Agreed. And if it actually ends up doing a whopping 20% then that's pretty incredible. In Brawl, Wolf was praised for his wonderful B-Air, but what we have right here is noiiiice. Edgeguarding too. The move is probably getting at least a 4.5/5 for utility.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Agreed. And if it actually ends up doing a whopping 20% then that's pretty incredible. In Brawl, Wolf was praised for his wonderful B-Air, but what we have right here is noiiiice. Edgeguarding too. The move is probably getting at least a 4.5/5 for utility.
I bet landing stage spikes with it will be pretty satisfying.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Was this posted? Great Bowser move set video. Apparently in this build he can dash cancel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOEo0A7zVMU
Yeah, it has been posted a couple of times actually.

However, I do think it'll be a good idea to compile the info we have so far into a separate thread and keep it as a reference.

Things like the aerials he can auto-cancel (I think all of them except for U-Air and D-Air?), the thing about dash canceling, super armor in Whirling Fortress, and he even retains his Side-B cancel (except I don't believe you're able to jump again afterward like Koopa Hopping in Brawl).

Thoughts?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Yeah, it has been posted a couple of times actually.

However, I do think it'll be a good idea to compile the info we have so far into a separate thread and keep it as a reference.

Things like the aerials he can auto-cancel (I think all of them except for U-Air and D-Air?), the thing about dash canceling, super armor in Whirling Fortress, and he even retains his Side-B cancel (except I don't believe you're able to jump again afterward like Koopa Hopping in Brawl).

Thoughts?
I was actually just about to make the same suggestion, do we already have a moveset analysis thread? We could compile that video along with any other good footage we find there so we can analyze it and collect some data, maybe form a few theories?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I was actually just about to make the same suggestion, do we already have a moveset analysis thread? We could compile that video along with any other good footage we find there so we can analyze it and collect some data, maybe form a few theories?
As far as I know, we don't have a thread dedicated to moveset analysis/theories, more so a bunch of threads dedicated to a move in particular and other miscellaneous stuff. So yeah, I think we should start something up. I'll leave it to you or anyone else that cares to start the thread while I make suggestions on what to add/any other findings. It'll be good for organized discussion. E3 and the Smash Fests are over, so this thread may get locked/die out.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
As far as I know, we don't have a thread dedicated to moveset analysis/theories, more so a bunch of threads dedicated to a move in particular and other miscellaneous stuff. So yeah, I think we should start something up. I'll leave it to you or anyone else that cares to start the thread while I make suggestions on what to add/any other findings. It'll be good for organized discussion. E3 and the Smash Fests are over, so this thread may get locked/die out.
Alright, I'll go ahead and start it up.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Is Bowser OP now?

Being this fast, what are his weaknesses, if he has any?

Did they nerf how much damage he can deal, for example?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Is Bowser OP now?

He shares the same weakness as any big character, being big pretty much. Greninja, Mario, ZSS, WFT, and Fox may have a field day with him.

At the same time, Bowser looks good enough to handle this much better than before.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
He's still going to be combo food, he's still going to have trouble getting back to the stage after being knocked off, in a lot of MUs, Bowser will more than likely be the one forced to approach, and it never helped that his approach options were limited, and the issue of dealing with a slew of projectiles, like from Toon Link (though projectiles all around in this game don't seem to be as effective I guess since Sakurai is trying to discourage camping?).

Those kind of weaknesses. But like @ ImaClubYou ImaClubYou mentioned, we will be better off handling those issues this go 'round.

Being big and quick doesn't necessarily make you OP.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
What does Bowser's Down Smash Attack look like? It is still Buzzsaw?
http://youtu.be/eOEo0A7zVMU?t=1m28s

Edit: cause I forgot to put this in the first time, whoops.

Is Bowser OP now?

On major disadvantage will be his frame data, while the developers really trimmed the fat this time around, he still has many attacks that have a good deal of start up and cooldown. All the developers did was make it a bit easier for him to play his anti-offensive/poke then gave him a few better tools to handle situations where he's forced out of his comfort zone and needs to approach. His offensive options got better, but much of his moveset is still a large commitment and even when pressing an advantage, careful spacing and good reads will be as important as ever. Hope that eases any worry you might have about him.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'd also like to add that it'll be nice to have all discussion pertaining to Bowser's moveset in this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/bowsers-moveset-analysis-discussion.358560/

We're trying to piece together all the info/observations regarding Bowser's moveset (there's a good deal of stuff so far) in a single thread for organizational purposes. Discussions regarding moveset utility are definitely welcome since it'll be nice to bounce ideas off of one another, plus, it'll keep some activity flowing around the Bowser forum.

As for this thread, it'll probably be best to just keep things opinionated (i.e. thoughts on Bowser's overall changes, personal demo experiences, etc).

Top Bottom