• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Buy Demo Discussion - What do you think of Bowser in Smash 4?

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Easily the best iteration of Fire Breath I've seen, both in power and range. It may even be viable in a competitive setting now. I am also content with his other buffs. ^-^

MrEh

Smash Hero
People should check if his grab release frames are still glitched.

Down throw was already a fine setup move before. If the advantage is at least the same as it was in Brawl, dash attack and Fsmash frame traps might be a thing. We'll see.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Is that you playing? I was loving the hulk hogan Impressions "UNNNNRGH! COMERE!" Anyway, looks like a lot of fun, i'm ready for this to drop so I can hit the lab! What I want them to really add is recordable dummies, and MAYBE toggleable frame data and hitboxes; that'd be pretty great.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Is that you playing? I was loving the hulk hogan Impressions "UNNNNRGH! COMERE!" Anyway, looks like a lot of fun, i'm ready for this to drop so I can hit the lab! What I want them to really add is recordable dummies, and MAYBE toggleable frame data and hitboxes; that'd be pretty great.
Yeah that's me, lol.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Anyone else able to see any other attacks bowser has armor on? The people on the treehouse say Bowser has several moves with armor now.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Anyone else able to see any other attacks bowser has armor on? The people on the treehouse say Bowser has several moves with armor now.
I'm pretty sure the aerial portion of Flying slam and somewhat sure that the falling portion of Bowser bomb may have some kind of armor. That, or Bowser bomb just got a priority boost. I've seen It win against Link's gale boomerang, a thrown Firebar, and Villager's Up aerial. Hopefully this means that his awful blind-spot has been patched up a bit.

Hong

The Strongest
Not Bowser specific (that is awesome none-the-less), but I am very happy with the direction they went with the victory screens this time. Unlike anything the series has seen thus far, and very satisfying.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Been a Bowser main since Melee's day 1 release. Got my Final Boss nickname as a result of using him. It's just a happy day for me seeing Bowser this good.

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
Made an account just to talk about how amazing new Bowz is. The line at the BB here was very short, so we got a bunch of games in. Things we noticed:
  • Dropkicks (both forward smash and b-air) are godlike. Seriously, they're everything you want and more. B-air is a decent spacing tool because of its reach and has ridiculous killing power. Forward smash is just made of murder. We had a guy rack up five kills in one match, and every finisher was some flavor of dropkick. It's too real.
  • D-air is hilarious. Take down B and make it a safe-ish spike with a big fat hitbox. You can pogo off people.
  • Speaking of down B, say goodbye to your shield if it nicks you.
  • Neutral B reaches for miles and it's the rudest thing in FFA. It's probably going to be useful against rushdown characters just because of how huge it is now. The damage isn't there, but whatever.
  • Up B actually gets you places now. Like, you know, up. Considering how fat and heavy Bowser is, this is a pretty big deal.
  • He can MOVE.
A lot of these are repeats from other people in the thread, but it's seriously nuts. You mess with new Bowz, you get the horns.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
WE'RE BUSTING SHIELDS, FACES, AND HEADS! NO LONGER SHALL BOWSER BE PUT ON THE BACKBURNER FOR COMPETITIVE SMASH!

HATERS GONNA HATE!
I've never been so hype to use Bowser. Used him since Melee, but this Bowser..Bowzah got dat powah :bowser::bowsermelee::bowser2::4bowser:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I think Bowser might be my new main after the Nintendo World demo! all of his attacks are either quick, strong, or both! His UAir appears too have the same finishing power but only slightly nerfed to make room for speed. His new FSmash is hard to land but it is VERY powerful and has high knockback so it might be a good mixup. His Bowser Bomb is VERY powerful as well and it has a little hockwave on the ground :D but can someone confirm whether or not DAir sends you straight down like Toon Link's? I was afraid I might self destruct with it to use it during the demo.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
This new Bowser is looking great, I'm so looking forward to playing him.

Back-air and forward-smash are the greatest.

Last edited:

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Every post in this thread makes me more excited to be a Bowser main. But then I guess I'll have to be a hipster and say I mained Bowser before he was top-tier.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I've never seen Bowser get this much love in my life. Growing up playing Mario games, I always loved him but of course in the end he'd get thrashed every time by you know who. And in Smash, I know plenty of people that used Bowser as their "training dummy" to practice combos.

Really can't wait for this game to come out so we can lab it up and start developing this character. I wish for a placement nothing below upper mid-tier!

On a side note, I've been paying attention to his Up-Smash and it seems pretty damn powerful with not too much cooldown. This might have already been discussed, but can someone confirm that?

EDIT - @ Collective of Bears Collective of Bears Ah, I notice you're from Georgia! Lets terrorize the state with some Bowsah Powah :bowser::bowsermelee::bowser2::4bowser:

Last edited:

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
On a side note, I've been paying attention to his Up-Smash and it seems pretty damn powerful with not too much cooldown. This might have already been discussed, but can someone confirm that?
I can. His up-smash is fantastic anti-air for characters like Greninja.
Every post in this thread makes me more excited to be a Bowser main. But then I guess I'll have to be a hipster and say I mained Bowser before he was top-tier.

I like your style.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Don't forget me. I'm a fellow Georgian too.
Just friended you. Nice to know there are fellow Georgians out there, our scene isn't as active compared to others :/

Did anyone else get anymore Bowser info from Smash Fest on Saturday or do we pretty much have everything? Yeah, it was just a demo, but it's still kind of nice to get an idea of what we're potentially going to be dealing with.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834

Here's my match. Wanted to play as Mac, but panicked when the other guy chose him. So I chose Bowser and spammed the hell out of a few moves. Yay.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

Here's my match. Wanted to play as Mac, but panicked when the other guy chose him. So I chose Bowser and spammed the hell out of a few moves. Yay.
Haha you kept bringing down the house with that Down-B usage; that was amusing. Way to get the Win : )

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
Played him a total of 3 times at the Baybrook location. Had 2 matches on Wednesday and 1 match on Saturday. Bowser is a mad powerhouse. I won every time. I got a full powered forward smash drop kick killing 2 at not a too high percent. Unlike other faster characters, his hits easily guarantee kills.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Played him a total of 3 times at the Baybrook location. Had 2 matches on Wednesday and 1 match on Saturday. Bowser is a mad powerhouse. I won every time. I got a full powered forward smash drop kick killing 2 at not a too high percent. Unlike other faster characters, his hits easily guarantees kills.
:bowser::bowsermelee::bowser2::4bowser:

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
I think they made a good way for Bowser's attacks to be more potent. I'm sure some of us might have noticed, but it's tougher to kill your opponents as they don't fly far enough even with your characters strongest moves. Bowser definitely avoids this issue making his larger knockback more useful, I believe, than it has than the previous installments of Smash Brothers where it really didn't do much to compensate his slowness. Though Bowser too is overall faster, the knockback can break that barrier other characters face and assures taking a stock off your enemies. He seems to destroy in FFA, don't know how he fares in 1 on 1 matches but I can't imagine any worse than before.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Is Georgia the Bowser state and I didn't know it? Cuz that's cool with me.
I honestly had no idea we had so many Bowser players in hiding.

I think they made a good way for Bowser's attacks to be more potent. I'm sure some of us might have noticed, but it's tougher to kill your opponents as they don't fly far enough even with your characters strongest moves. Bowser definitely avoids this issue making his larger knockback more useful, I believe, than it has than the previous installments of Smash Brothers where it really didn't do much to compensate his slowness. Though Bowser too is overall faster, the knockback can break that barrier other characters face and assures taking a stock off your enemies. He seems to destroy in FFA, don't know how he fares in 1 on 1 matches but I can't imagine any worse than before.
Definitely shouldn't be any worse. I'm really loving the new B-Air - nice damage output and seems like a pretty solid option for spacing, the F-Air received a buff in range if I'm not mistaken? His smashes seem better, specials too, and of course his speed is improved. Counting up several buffs here. Granted, he'll still retain some of the same problems he always had, but I think it's safe to make the assumption that they'll be easier to deal with this time around.

What about his grab range and his throws?

Top Bottom