• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best approach?

Matt86

Smash Rookie
What is the best way to approach when playing as Luigi? Any tips / advice? I'm need to improve my game, especially when it comes to approaching certain trigger happy space animals.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
well spaced WD Ftilt is pretty safe on floaties and high percentages. WD jab to shield grab if blocked is super good, i'm guilty of WD Dsmash alot of the time though, just because its such an easy way to start combos.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Luigi's approaches are all terrible

I'm being mostly serious. None of them "work" vs. the good characters. They pretty much work only if your opponent doesn't know what to do vs. Luigi and takes your beats like a champ, or if you get a read on what they're doing and counter it.

wd ftilt seems good but it doesn't do anything until they're at a significant percent, they don't even need to CC it at low-mid percent, you just get no frame advantage on hit

wd usmash hits people who are trying to space ineffectually with jumps. Too bad its incredibly slow

wd dsmash hits people who are running away. Too bad it doesn't hit people if they jump

wd jab might be his best option at low percents, sadly.

vs. the slow/tall characters wd spaced aerial can actually be fairly safe and effective consistently. Doesn't work vs. spacies or marth though

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Forward tilt is actually like the most telegraphed option ever, you're sitting there in wavedash range and then suddenly you're wavedashing to ... do a move ... I wonder what it'll be <_<

Fortunately no one plays against Luigi so they're all clueless as to what to expect so it'll work vs most people haha

Winston covered basically everything

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
How about something different for a change guys.

Lets choose an option FIREBALL FLOW CHART

Jump SH Fireball ---> Did they jump into it?

Yes ---->WD Ftilt at High perccentage or if you don't get there in time, and he shields, then grab!

No---->Did they block?

Yes-----> GRAB THEM.

No -----> D/F/NAIR...or FORWARD TILT...OR DB AWAY OR FORWARD.

Or this.....

Ground Fireball ------> Did they Jump? Yes -----> MISFIRE.

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
fireballs are only practical for catching falling enemies from above/forcing an option out of them, and for flying off platforms after WD run WD fireball. i'm starting to like the Bair mix-up approach against tall/heavies, start with that trusty Bair and keep everything else fresh.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Most of Luigi's approaches work well vs Doc.
Just WD a f-tilt and Doc can't do anything.
Up-tilt, up-smash, d-smash are really good combo starters.
And all of Luigi's aerials dominate Dr. Mario's air game.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Uhh ... WD Ftilt is terrible if they're holding down ... the actual worst ... CC to infinity % into OP Dsmash
Can't do anything haha ... just hold down more brah ... ~_~
Or just like ... see that they're around 1 wavedash distance away and expect the wavedash Ftilt ... super easy to react to if you're expecting it

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...would WD SH Nair work well?
yeah i'm guilty of this occasionally, but approach with WD SH Fair, Dair, or bair first then pop off the cross up (pardon the SF mentality) Nair for good shield pressure, but the Nair is good for starting combos as well, so i guess if the enemy was a heavy at mid percents then the cross up SHFFL Nair would be a good approach but a tad predictable, i'd keep to using it sparingly.

Top Bottom