• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Advice for Those Who've Never Played Brawl

CCXC34

Smash Rookie
So I obviously don't have Brawl, but I preordered it at EB Games. They told me they having a tournament for all those who preordered it March 8th.

So my question is...none of my siblings are any good at Melee and I don't get to play with my friends much-what is the best thing I can do to get ready for Brawl if I all I have is Melee and myself?

For one, the only way to physically prepare for Brawl is to play the game itself, for it feels completely different from Melee.

Secondly, enter the tournament and compete with an intermediate mindset. Don't go there to win, but don't expect to lose. Just play your best according to each situation. Besides, this really isn't going to be a serious tournament, for it's catored for advertising the game to casual players.

Have fun, and good luck.:)

Amea

Smash Cadet
Melee won't help BRAWL is a DIIFERENT game, you have to get used to the physics and controller playing style, i reccomend watching as many Brawl matches as you can and or dreaming about playing Brawl lol, silly...maybe but it's the only thing thats going to prepare you.

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
This late in the game my friend, there's no preparing and even had you realized this far in the past it wouldn't of mattered much. Brawl just plays so much more differently from Melee that constantly playing that game isn't going to help you train for much of anything. Just my opinion.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
I played a lot of melee to practise before i got brawl, and i must say depending on the character it could be similar or completely different. I planned on maining peach but she is so radically different in brawl (for the worse imho but thats not the point of this thread :laugh:)

Since most liekly everyone at the tournament will be in the same position as you (not having played the game) then you wont be at a disadvantage.

Best bet is to choose a char that hasn't changed too much between melee and brawl.

Mario or pikachu or marth is probably best to practise with in melee, those two have probably has changed the least in my opinion, and are the most likely to support your melee skills.

I would say go with pikachu, with his decent recovery you might be able to rescue some potential suicide deaths due to not being used to the new physics and handling...

When i first started brawl i could barely do anything at all without suiciding against lvl 3 comps >_>
several hours later lvl 9 comps are a breeze. The controls definatlely do take getting used to, althought thats because i use the wiimote and nunchuck (work brilliantly once you get used to them btw)

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
So I obviously don't have Brawl, but I preordered it at EB Games. They told me they having a tournament for all those who preordered it March 8th.

So my question is...none of my siblings are any good at Melee and I don't get to play with my friends much-what is the best thing I can do to get ready for Brawl if I all I have is Melee and myself?
YOU can NOT TRAIN IN MELEE TO GET BETTER AT BRAWL!!!!!

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Watch Brawl Youtube videos and read up on the character you wanna use, that's the only advice I can give you.

Oh, and expect items and ESPCIALLY final smashes to occur a lot.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I would honestly say that the your best bet is to practise using the shield and the r button evade. Learning defensive techniques that haven't changed that much will probably help you out more than anything else.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
play melee and read techniques on here, there are tons of pages on the individual characters and their movesets, etc. this is a good place for information

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Understand the new DI.

When you get hit off the stage, attack in the opposite direction you are moving immediately, and keep on doing it. The character's momentum is GREATLY affected by this.

Also, who do you main? I'll tell you how they've changed.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I haven't played Brawl either, but I'm thinking that the best thing to do to practice is to play 64.

That's what my brother and I are doing.

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with people who say melee won't help at all. I understand why they say that, but look at it like this;
Who would win a brawl match, a guy playing SSB64 everyday since day one and then melee everyday since day one, or somebody who never played either?

RizardoLawless

Smash Journeyman
Understand the new DI.

When you get hit off the stage, attack in the opposite direction you are moving immediately, and keep on doing it. The character's momentum is GREATLY affected by this.

Also, who do you main? I'll tell you how they've changed.
Bowser, I might use him in a gamestop tourney

I disagree with people who say melee won't help at all. I understand why they say that, but look at it like this;
Who would win a brawl match, a guy playing SSB64 everyday since day one and then melee everyday since day one, or somebody who never played either?
Take into consideration that the people attending/purchasing the game are all fans of the series, which is why they are having a midnight launch. Making the transition over to Brawl isn't as easy as it sounds.

Unless you've played the game, I don't think that you have room to talk.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Generally being good at Melee definitely helps being good at brawl. Game mechanics may be different, but it's not ENTIRELY different.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice

I am kind of in the same boat as well. What am I doing to prepare?

Well, I practiced on Melee quite a bit for the past month, but about the beginning of this month I quit.
Now that I feel confident with DK in Melee, I want to remember what I can of his moveset without getting immersed in Melee's engine, since there's a different one in Brawl.

I've been keeping track of any DK related info, so that I have some idea of what to anticipate when I pick up the controller.

The only trouble I can anticipate is that I'm going to be a nervous wreck when I finally get to the tournament because it's been so long since I've been in competitoin of any sort.

LunaEqualsLuna

Smash Apprentice
Just thinking about it though, chances are you may NOT be against people who have never played the game you may be playing against some people who imported it like i did, in which case you are probably screwed unless that person sucks.

I know if there are any launch tournaments here in the UK with a chance to win a plasma screen and a wii etc, I will be the first person down there and there would be little chance for someone playiing brawl for the first time to beat my my Pit, even if they were really good at melee.

Hmaal

Smash Journeyman
I want to thank you guys because I asked the same question but no one really answered my question. Thanks And I was planning on using Pit in the Gamestop tournament.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
What I'm planning on doing is playing Melee the day before the tournament but not using any advanced techniques at all. No L-cancelling, no wavedashing, nothing. That way I won't be ****ing up trying to do it while playing Brawl. That's the only thing I can think of.

Otherwise, just take it slow when the tournament starts. Try not to go all out offensive because you'll need to get used to the physics. Dodge around a bit, counter attack when you get a chance, jump around, test out your moves. Things like that. Don't be nervous but don't be too cocky either.

CCXC34

Smash Rookie
Thanks to all those who replied, sorry I've been ultra busy with school. Anyways....

I main Link with in Melee and that's who I'm going to use in the tournament. Also for anyone who wanted to know, the tournament is at an EB Games on March 8th at 9:00. It's open to anyone who pre-ordered the game at that EB Games. They figure the tournament will end somewhere near the midnight launch so I'll just pick up my game at midnight.

But reading all this I think I'm going to play very defensively at the tournament. Not overly cautious but just because the physics are going to be so different I guess my best bet is to work on my defensive techniques.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
I intend to adapt as quickly as possible. Learn the physics as fast as you can, and if you have a character in mind, study him till you puke him out. Knowing yourself and your character gives you the best chance in a game this is totally unknown to you and your opponent.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Do not play Marth Melee.
Watch videos of characters your interested in. I've watched so many match-ups I feel like I'm playing the game. >.<
Read up on the techniques found already. If your just starting, play like you would play SSB64. Get rid of the instint to press L when you land, or angling your air dodges. Be ready for more floating. DO not expect characters in Brawl to be the same in Melee.

Bowser does not suck
Peach cannot be CC'd anyways.
Mario's Down-B is not a tornado, don't use off the edge.
Kirby IS strong.
Do not over-use your smashes when attempting to kill someone.

And so forth. Good luck.

Top Bottom