• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Being good or having fun?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Recently, I decided to step up my game in Brawl. I had been using Bowser, PT, and various others as my mains, but I realized I wasn't getting any better against my opponents. So though I still use Bowser and PT, I added two new mains to my arsenal: :falco: and :olimar:
Right away, my game improved, and though I still used my old mains, these new guys helped me a whole lot. I figure if I keep training, I might be ready to go to a tourney later this month.
However, last night I had an issue. I was battling a friend, and during one of the matches, I felt something very foreign... boredom. I never feel bored in intense Brawls. But it came to me that even though my Falco was getting better, I was growing bored with him.
What should I do? I really don't want to drop Falco, since I have potential with him, but at the same time, I'm bored stiff playing as him. And what if I do drop him? I keep playing Olimar as main and Bowser as a secondary, but Olimar will need a good counterpick. Falco fills that hole well for me. But I don't want to lose the fun. Olimar, Bowser, PT, Ganon, are fun to play as which is why I use them, but I doubt I'll go far without Falco, even if he is boring for me to use.
So how do I solve my issue of Being Good vs. Having Fun?

tocador

Smash Lord
Dude the real purpose of playing is to have fun, if you dont have fun just by winning with someone that`s good like falco, just use someone u enjoy playing. The point is that there are people who enjoy winning at all costs, even if they need to use someone they hate ie: MK

So if you dont like using falco dont use him, because whats the pont of playing with no fun/pleasure. If you need dont use him ever, do only what makes you enjoy playing, because this is the purpose of playing something.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
^^^
Yeah, what he said. You don't have to play as a character that you have no fun using if you don't want to.

Almas

Smash Lord
Many people would beg to differ. If you have the potential to earn money through a tournament, then the work required to do it could be considered worthwhile.

That said, you're less likely to progress skillwise with a character you don't enjoy. Some characters are low on the tier list because they lack the prodigious players required to show the world their potential, and even if a character is weak, your personal expertise with them may trump the outright better-ness of playing another character. Not to mention that many tournament players may lack experience against weaker characters.

I would recommend trying out other higher-tier characters to see if any of them suit your playstyle, but don't be afraid to stick to a weaker character if they're the only ones you enjoy. If you have the skill, it'll show even if you aren't playing one of the best characters.

neodoodot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neodoodot
actually this used to be an issue with me too....intill I finally remembered the reason why I used to play....fun. I used to be Wolf for a littlw while in Brawl but I found myself getting bored pretty quickly, so nowadays I usually be fun characters like PT or Toon Link...I actually feel an attachment to those characters and I have a lot of fun being them. so like other people had said, if you're not having fun being a character, then just DON'T be them ^^

tocador

Smash Lord
Many people would beg to differ. If you have the potential to earn money through a tournament, then the work required to do it could be considered worthwhile.

Like i said, there are people WHO ENJOY just playing to win, and even if they play a character they hate but they win, they feel like moral champions.

The point is IT ALL DEPENDS on you, if you like it or not, its your choice that matters, not the tier list :D

Kirbynator

Smash Apprentice
if you play brawl to win money youre a loser, even if you win.

If you play to win and really enjoy the competitiveness of not giving a chance to anyone and playing your best, then that's ok.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I used both of them. Falco completes what Fox lacks, IMO, and I started seeing flaws in Wolf that others could live with, but I didn't like

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
Try searching all the other characters a bit if you haven't already. If you found yourself good with Falco, there might be someone else who you can use well in the game and still have fun with.

I'm all for playing for the fun thrill of the game over just the victory.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Right away, my game improved, and though I still used my old mains, these new guys helped me a whole lot. I figure if I keep training, I might be ready to go to a tourney later this month.
However, last night I had an issue. I was battling a friend, and during one of the matches, I felt something very foreign... boredom. I never feel bored in intense Brawls. But it came to me that even though my Falco was getting better, I was growing bored with him.
What should I do? I really don't want to drop Falco, since I have potential with him, but at the same time, I'm bored stiff playing as him. And what if I do drop him? I keep playing Olimar as main and Bowser as a secondary, but Olimar will need a good counterpick. Falco fills that hole well for me. But I don't want to lose the fun.
Here's my story.

I started off as a smasher a bit more than a year ago in Melee. I toyed around with chars, played mario for a bit, but no one was much fun. Then I'm like "OMFG Kirby! I'm using him!" I wasn't very good, though most Kirbies in Melee aren't. Of me and my two smasher friends, including another newbie like myself, I was the worst. Neither of us 2 newbies could beat a lvl9 alone, but he did better. My friends teased me because I only used one character, where they used at least 4 or something. You know why I stuck with Kirby? He was fun to play as. Simple as that. When I got brawl, nothing changed. I'm not the greatest; but I don't care. I used to use pit and tl. They're fun to use too, but right now I'm improving my Kirby game. He'll always be my main. My character choices never were and never will be based on tiers and matchups. They're based on who I want to use. Period.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
If this game wasn't fun, why would anyone play it?
I find competitive matches fun. Getting better to win more matches is the way to go.
Learn from your mistakes, do better next time.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
MK is even more boring than Falco, unless I spam the tornado.
Wait, that's not boring?
Anydangway, i don't know... if you're not having fun with Falco, then just try a different character for variety. Maybe Game and Watch? He's pretty fun. Or ROB.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Being bored with a character can do more psychological damage than anything to yourself because it starts bringing up questions like this. If you can use Falco well but are very bored of him, just give yourself an indefinite break from Falco and go to him whenever you wish (can be seldom, often or never!)

Hey, if Bowser, PT, Olimar, and Ganon are your guys, I say USE EM! Keep playing them if they're fun because a character that's fun is one that you're gonna want to get good with naturally (At least, that's what usually happens).

peeup

Smash Lord
Having fun is much more important than being good. My story:

Pretty much from day 1 I've been an Olimainer. He pwnz so hard its not even funny. Sometimes, though, I do get bored when I'm beating somebody senseless with him, so I've decided to pick up a few low tier characters to see what I can make of them--and its really fun. The challenge of playing with a lesser character is fun, and it is also nice to beat a higher tier character with yoshi or jiggz.

If the game isn't fun anymore, why play it? Make it fun for yourself, don't be obsessed with being awesome.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I got bored of Meta Knight and I ditched him as my secondary and my third(Wolf) Became my second, then ROB became my third much later.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
If you're not playing for fun, you're working. That's not to say that people can't find picking top tier characters only fun, but the very notion of approaching a game to do work and not have fun is absurd.

People who find competition thrilling and the feeling of winning ecstatic will of course spend time practicing, but that's usually fun in and of itself. If you don't find your character fun, there is no reason to play as him (or her) unless you want to spend your free time working.

Personally I spend enough time doing work, I play smash to have fun. Practicing techniques is fun, playing matches is fun. Playing characters I hate, such as Ice Climbers? Not so much. So I don't do it.

That being said, I usually am playing friendlies and usually just random as I like having to adapt at the start of a match, but if I were pressured I'd say my main in vanilla brawl is probably Pikachu, PT (Squirtle and 'zard, screw ivysaur) or DDD. I only really play Brawl+ now, though, and I'm fairly new to that so I haven't come up with a true main yet (although Sheik, Fox, and Yoshi are high up there for me).

Darkurai

Smash Master
Okay, how about people stop spamvertising your mains here. That's not the point of the thread.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
HAHAHA I USE KING DEDEDE HE IS FUN.

Sorry, dark. i can just get a bit carried away.
when i play, i play to win. i will do whatever it takes. I find it fun to win. the more i win, the happier i am.
isn't that simple?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Recently, I decided to step up my game in Brawl. I had been using Bowser, PT, and various others as my mains, but I realized I wasn't getting any better against my opponents. So though I still use Bowser and PT, I added two new mains to my arsenal: :falco: and :olimar:
What should I do? I really don't want to drop Falco, since I have potential with him, but at the same time, I'm bored stiff playing as him. And what if I do drop him? I keep playing Olimar as main and Bowser as a secondary, but Olimar will need a good counterpick. Falco fills that hole well for me. But I don't want to lose the fun. Olimar, Bowser, PT, Ganon, are fun to play as which is why I use them, but I doubt I'll go far without Falco, even if he is boring for me to use.

Who says you can't have fun and be good at the same time?

Every heard of Low-main characters, PT and Bowser both have things that your team might value.

It's not about being 100% focused for that tourney thing, if it was , than you should choose Metaknight.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Depends. Would you rather be competitive and good or enjoy the games you're playing? Only you can really make that decision for yourself.

I chose to go with the latter. I chose to be competitive in this game because it was fun. I mean really, if I just wanted to get good at a competitive game, I'd go with something more high-profile that'd get me more money and recognition, like Halo or GoW. Or if I just wanted the money, I'd get another job.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't think the issue here is what people think.

Winning doesn't necessarily equate to "being good".It might be easier to win with Falco - it could be because you're actually inclined to play better as Falco, but conversely, it could be because your opponent sucks at fighting Falco. It's like that for alot of Metaknight winner-wannabes. They think "Oh man, I just lost to Metaknight!" then they go off, 'learn' Metaknight, and beat more people who don't know how to/are bad at dealing with Metaknight. Did they start winning more? Sure. Did they really get better? Maybe, but maybe not.

You can still stick with your previous mains, then get your player skill up more as you learn opponent habits and how to punish certain habits - as you learn your characters, and how to cover their weakspots, using them to your advantage to bait movements from your opponent. Heck, you can even learn how to beat anything up to a 35:65 matchup with reasonable matchup knowledge and experience.

;o try doing something different with your current mains and 'rebuild' and see if you pick up anything while playing a little differently, whether it's mixing up your rhythm in-game, or relying on a different part of the moveset and switching it up during your fights.

That way, you can have fun with your mains while getting better overall.

Top Bottom