• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner's guide to Guest 1111 Gunner

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
**work in progress**

This guide is meant for anyone just starting out learning mii gunner with guest 1111. Unfortunately, anyone wanting to play gunner in tournaments or in a competitive scene will likely need to learn this set up in order to play gunner.

I'm not a gunner expert, but I've tried to learn as much as I can from guides, videos, labbing, and games.

Essential techniques:

Gundashing: hold back on direction stick while performing a fair. Best done with cstick set to attack. This is your primary zoning and mobility tool, and probably the driving factor as to why anyone would want to play a guest gunner with 1111.

Charge shot cancelling: roll or shield to cancel the charging of your neutral special. Rolling is the most predictable option, and should only be used if you see an incoming attack that is best avoided with a roll, such as a bowser bomb. From shield you have many great options that can be performed instantly. You can jump cancel an upsmash, jump cancel up or down special, shield grab, perform an aerial, spot dodge, or drop shield into a tilt, jab, or dash grab or attack.

Charge shot reversal: while in air flick control stick backwards, allow it to return to neutral, then immediately hit special. Easy way to catch people off guard with a charge shot. Also, good when you jump or fall from ledge and opponent is off stage.

Reflector reversal: hit down special, then immediately hit backwards. Useful to change the way you're facing, usually done while offstage to give yourself option to gundash back to stage.

Reflector stalling: use down special midair to stop your descent momentarily. Useful to throw off someone's timing trying to hit you. You can gundash afterwards or even use a backair to give yourself some momentum.

Advanced techniques

Lunar cancelling: use up special immediately before landing. Strict timing, but you can land and still get the explosion from the up special. Can combo into other options at low percents. I haven't messed with this much yet, not sure it's much better than a landing nair.

Lagless get up: I wish I could learn this, but just can't get it unless on lylat.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBLDQlPkQk

Anti-trump wall jump: situational, but handy option
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P7yrX-2HzTE

Aerial options
Gunners aerials have a large amount of endlag, so stringing together multiple attacks mid-air can be difficult. It's good to know precisely which attacks you have time to use. There are obviously more options, but I stuck with options available when you use a fair mostly since that has so much end lag. You can substitute air dodge where I put nairs since air dodge is faster.

Short hop (SH) into fair - this is your go-to option.
Full hop nair to landing fair - my second most used option. Nair is good for creating some breathing room, and the fair seems to almost always connect. Most opponents don't see it coming. This also covers most options when people are getting up from ledge if you do this while moving backwards.
Full hop nair or bair to landing nair
Double jump to fair to landing fair - good zoning against people in air
Full hop nair, jumping fair to landing fair - timing is strict

General strategy:

You want to keep away from opponent and chip away damage as safely as possible. Gunner's moves have too much endlag to spam, so be precise with each attack. You will want to do a bunch of short hop fairs with gundashing. Opponent will need to play aggressive to overcome this tactic. You then need to react accordingly and punish mistakes and overaggression.

Charge your shot at every opportunity. This will force opponent to approach, so be ready to punish their approach with mostly out of shield options. Use charged shots to help rack up damage and secure kills.

Flame pillar spamming on ledge can be strong. Also use it on stage if you have some space. It makes a nice barrier to charge shot up from behind. Be ready to punish with fair if they try to jump flame.

Mix in jabs, tilts, aerials, and grabs where appropriate, you can't rely solely on projectiles.

Don't fish for kills too early. Keep chipping away, and start thinking kills after 130%. Killing options are charged shot, upair, backair, utilt, dtilt, and all the smashes. Upsmash out of shield is nice. Fsmash covers 3 options from ledge (get up attack, get up, and roll), and works well pivoted. Dtilt and utilt pack a surprising punch, and are great after spot dodging or gundashing.

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Can you show me a gif or a video of Gunner reversing charge blast? I'm not sure if that could be done.

It is usually better to avoid using your second jump for offensive purposes unless you are able to stay in the advantage state by landing before your opponent. This is especially true with Gunner since Gunner has great juggling tools such as up tilt and up smash to catch opponent's that are high in the air.

Also, Lunar cancelling is better than landing nair because it doesn't have any landing lag. Also nair doesn't have great priority to challenge an opponent's up smash or up tilt. Usually it is best to mix up your landing with gundashing, stalling with reflector, flame pillar, or lunar launch.

It is usually better to punish someone who tries to jump over the flame pillar with an up smash since it is faster than jumping and using fair. Up smash is also a good option for killing an opponent that tries to jump over charge blast.

This is a pretty good start to this guide. There is more information on 1111 gunner in the mii gunner true combo and follow up thread, the Mii Gunner advanced techniques thread, and the Mii Gunner style discussion thread. I am also willing to help you out with this guide if you want me to.

Last edited:

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Can you show me a gif or a video of Gunner reversing charge blast? I'm not sure if that could be done.

Reversing Charge Blast? Like the charge, or the actual blast? :S

It is usually better to avoid using your second jump for offensive purposes. This is especially true with Gunner since Gunner has great juggling tools such as up tilt and up smash to catch opponent's that are high in the air.

Eh, I agree Gunner can catch landings very well, but committing to a high UAir by using your double jump feels sick and catchs a wide area.

Also, Lunar cancelling is better than landing nair because it doesn't have any landing lag. Also nair doesn't have great priority to challenge an opponent's up smash or up tilt. Usually it is best to mix up your landing with gundashing, stalling with reflector, flame pillar, or lunar launch.

Lunar Cancelling is super precise and the hitbox is small compared to Nair, so it's got a niche use but honestly Nair is better because it hits around 2/3rds of Gunner's hurtbox.

It is usually better to punish someone who tries to jump over the flame pillar with an up smash since it is faster than jumping and using fair. Up smash is also a good option for killing an opponent that tries to jump over charge blast.

Jumping over Flame Pillar is super rare, people usually just wait it out or use their projectile to either clank, trade, or go through the hitbox, depending on the character. If a character has tools to just avoid Flame Pillar and hit you through it, they will.

This is a pretty good start to this guide. There is more information on 1111 gunner in the mii gunner true combo and follow up thread, the Mii Gunner advanced techniques thread, and the Mii Gunner style discussion thread. I am also willing to help you out with this guide if you want me to.
Also count me in on this guide I guess lol

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Also count me in on this guide I guess lol
I am talking about the Charge Shot Reversal technique in the original post. I think it reverses the charge, but I am not sure.

It is a good idea to double jump and use up air to finish off an opponent that is very high in the air (especially after a down throw or an up throw). What I meant is that it is not a great idea to give up the advantage by using your second jump to meet an opponent in the air with a nair or a bair unless you know that your aerial can beat out the opponents aerial. I will clarify my previous post.

Landing with nair is a better option when Gunner is high enough in the air for nair to autocancel; otherwise, the relatively low priority hitbox isn't worth the landing lag. In addition, nair isn't safe on shield. Are you sure that lunar canceling has a smaller hitbox than nair? It seems like the hitbox from the up b is bigger than nair from underneath.

Actually, I have gotten quite a few kills in my tournaments from people jumping over flame pillar into an up smash. While it isn't the best decision for most characters, I wouldn't call it super rare.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for input. Any help with guide would be appreciated, I'm still learning gunner myself. Charge shot can definitely be reversed in air, regardless of how much charge is on it. Try out my description of how to do it.

I don't get how lunar cancelling would be able to challenge an utilt or upsmash? The hit box comes out right as you land, so I'd think you would get hit prior to being able to do it.

Last edited:

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for input. Any help with guide would be appreciated, I'm still learning gunner myself. Charge shot can definitely be reversed in air, regardless of how much charge is on it. Try out my description of how to do it.

I don't get how lunar cancelling would be able to challenge an utilt or upsmash? The hit box comes out right as you land, so I'd think you would get hit prior to being able to do it.
Gunner doesn't have hitboxes that are good for challenging people below him/her (While dair has good range, it is laggy, and it only lasts for one frame). Lunar cancelling is better for landing when your opponent is not directly under Gunner. It is better to Gundash away from an opponent that is directly under Gunner.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Ah ok. One option when someone is below you is to use lunar launch and hit them with the fire blast. It's definitely punishable, even sometimes if you hit with it. But it can take people by surprise. If you're at death percents it can save you from getting smashed. The opponent might only be able to get a dash grab or dash attack when you land which could save your stock.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Ah ok. One option when someone is below you is to use lunar launch and hit them with the fire blast. It's definitely punishable, even sometimes if you hit with it. But it can take people by surprise. If you're at death percents it can save you from getting smashed. The opponent might only be able to get a dash grab or dash attack when you land which could save your stock.
That is true. The helpless state of Lunar Launch does allow gunner to move quickly enough in the air to be able to escape some opponents that are less mobile.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
That is true. The helpless state of Lunar Launch does allow gunner to move quickly enough in the air to be able to escape some opponents that are less mobile.
Fair gets the same effect if you're good with Vortex Jumping/Turning, even better because you cover your landing with a projectile.

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
Fair gets the same effect if you're good with Vortex Jumping/Turning, even better because you cover your landing with a projectile.
Ya that is preferable. I was giving a situation where you are about to get smashed, and have no time for another option.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Ya that is preferable. I was giving a situation where you are about to get smashed, and have no time for another option.
Again, I'd be inclined to agree if Lunar Launch didn't make you completely vulnerable. If you manage to cancel it, you'll get grabbed, if you Nair, you can crossup shields with a bigger hitbox, and if you Fair away, you're free of grabs and non-projectile users. I can't see an option where Lunar Launch or Lunar Cancelling would be the best landing option aside from a simple mixup.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Wait... I thought you can't b-reverse charge blast.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Again, I'd be inclined to agree if Lunar Launch didn't make you completely vulnerable. If you manage to cancel it, you'll get grabbed, if you Nair, you can crossup shields with a bigger hitbox, and if you Fair away, you're free of grabs and non-projectile users. I can't see an option where Lunar Launch or Lunar Cancelling would be the best landing option aside from a simple mixup.
Lunar cancelling would be a better landing option then nair when you are not directly under your opponent since nair has landing lag when you are close to the ground. If an opponent tries to dashgrab your landing, Gunner would be able to either spotdodge the grab or beat out the grab with a jab. Since Lunar cancelling has no landing lag Gunner would have the frame advantage if the opponent tries to attack.

Top Bottom