• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Been away for awhile, some questions!

Fuss

Smash Apprentice
Hello I've been away from community from some time, though I have kept up with some of the tournaments and stuff over the years, just wondering what's the best way to jump back in currently? I've seen a lot of people talkin' about you can play online now?? If so that's amazing! Not too worried bout rust or anything just wondering what the ideal way to practice is now, is it still the same as before just finding people to play with or is that all doable online now? I'd be ecstatic if that were the case!

Also if people are playing online, they are still using GC controllers or keyboard now? I would hope controllers lmao, if so how? Thanks in advance!

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Hey! I'll just see if I can answer some of your questions real quick.
The best way to practice, if possible, is still to get some people and practice in person. However, if you have good internet connection and all the stuff you need, you can definitely supplement practice in person with netplay (online play, in case you were wondering). There will probably be lag from internet connection, and lag from your monitor (depending on what your monitor is, of course), but overall it works pretty well.

https://smashboards.com/threads/dolphin-online-melee-netplay.335432/
there's a link to a thread explaining how to set it up.

People still use GC controllers for netplay. If you didn't, it would be a nightmare :p how would a falco manage a quick turnaround uptilt without dashing or jumping?
There's plenty of adapters that allow you to use gamecube controllers on computer via USB, such as the mayflash adapter or the official Nintendo GC controller adapter.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Yeah, people still play in person more often than online. However, I think the culture of smash has changed quite a bit lately. For one, everything has moved to Facebook. Some of us still use smashboards, but they are dead for the most part. Melee is growing at an insane pace, which means it is less tight knit than it used to be. When I first started going to tournaments in 2013, it was far more common to run into fiends of the game, or people that were desperate to play regardless of their skill level or your skill level. Now, I've found that people are less likely to go out of there way to play, for the most part. For example, my current city has a ~150 people in the Facebook group, and no one will travel to play if it takes longer than 15 minutes. Granted, the scene here is centered around the local university, so most of the players just want to be able to walk down a hall to play in another dorm. Still, I remember traveling an hour or more regularly to play people when I was in school.

Top Bottom