• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBrawl Lucas Campfire Discussion

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So, I've been trying to test more and more BBrawl matchups at smashfests; no one I've been testing with plays Lucas, and I secondary Ness, so... why not? Lucas was already one of my better (top ten?) characters, but I knew I would need to step up my game with him if I wanted serious matchup data. After learning him more, I found that I was doing as well with Lucas as my usual secondaries, and was really enjoying playing as him.

For those who don't know, I should back up and explain: BBrawl is an unofficial patch for Brawl created by me and Amazing Ampharos that changes damage and knockback on moves (not timing or hitbox size!) specifically to balance matchups. Lucas's changes are as follows:

:lucas:
Jab 3 damage (4%) -> (6%)
Up tilt damage (8%) -> (9%), knockback (105/40) -> (95/37)
Down tilt knockback (22/6) -> (0/34), angle (0) -> (315)
Back aerial early hit damage (9%) -> (11%)
Back aerial sweetspot damage (12%) -> (18%), knockback (90/30) -> (75/60)
Back aerial sourspot damage (10%) -> (12%)
Back aerial late hit damage (7%) -> (9%)
Down aerial lower main hits damage (5%) -> (4%), knockback (10/50) -> (0/60)
Down aerial upper main hits damage (5%) -> (4%), knockback (100/0) -> (0/35)
Down aerial final sweetspot damage (5%) -> (8%), knockback (110/10) -> (45/40)
Down aerial final sourspot angle (-) -> (270)
Up throw damage (10%) -> (11%), knockback (65/80) -> (62/80)
Pk Freeze knockback (40/50) -> (15/70), angle (70) -> (0)
Pk Fire hit damage (3%) -> (4%)
Pk Fire sweetspot (6%) -> (8%)
Pk Fire sourspot (4%) -> (6%)
Spotdodge speed doubled on frame 19 (New total duration: 22 frames)
(I highlighted the more important changes. Also, grab-release toomfoolery is gone.)

The main think that gets me when playing Lucas in BBrawl instead of normal Brawl is the massively changed risk-reward ratio. Before I could nair into a jab combo and do maybe 14%-16% total; not bad, but I normally get blocked and punished almost two-thirds of the time. Now I do a nair to d-tilt to jab combo and do about 24% consistently; I still get blocked the same amount of time, but I really don't care if most characters are getting grabs on me if I'm doing 25% for roughly every two grabs they land.

The other different mentality is the dair tweak. I worked out the final version of it after testing about a dozen different ones and talking to Galeon, and it works well. It's harder to SDI out of, knocks down at lower %s, and knocks down more softly at high %s to allow followups. In my play I've actually been using FHFF'd dairs at low percents when it doesn't knockdown, and immediately grabbing instead of the usual followups. It isn't as strong as the d-tilt to f-smash, but I can pretty much always land it and the combo is still doing 35% total since both Lucas throws and pummel are great.

The only other BBrawl thing I have to comment on is the PK fire damage increase. Doing 3% more total makes people really stress out about it more for some reason... I've noticed people being more aggressive and less patient at range. I also use it SLIGHTLY more at close range... with the extra damage it does now, it's pretty much worth it in most mathcups if there is a 50% chance you are going to hit them.

As far as non BBrawl-related things go, I obviously don't have anything too interesting to say since better Lucas players than me have blazed that trail. I am curious though, how much is PSI Magnet used as a KO tool among Lucas mains? I use it to KO at around 110% or so by mixing it in with SH nairs and fair; I maybe land one every 3-4 matches.

If any of you guys have played BBrawl, any thoughts on Lucas's matchups?

lil cj

Smash Lord
Never heard of BBrawl til now...but it seems cool...will have to try it out
Pretty good stuff here.
The answer to your question about Psi Magnet....
I dont think many Lucas players use Psi Magnet as a KO option, its more of a situational move.
For Magnet Pulling and slowing down your falling while in the air(like Fox's Shine)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The answer to your question about Psi Magnet....
I dont think many Lucas players use Psi Magnet as a KO option, its more of a situational move.
For Magnet Pulling and slowing down your falling while in the air(like Fox's Shine)
Right, I'm very used to that from playing as Ness. It's even more effective as Lucas.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
If you are going to go for a KO, you have to mind game because of start-up lag... but it's silly when you could F-air with less lag... unless your going to style points

For those who don't know, I should back up and explain: BBrawl is an unofficial patch for Brawl created by me and Amazing Ampharos that changes damage and knockback on moves (not timing or hitbox size!) specifically to balance matchups.
That's a lie, otherwise there'd still be the IGR ;)

There are very few other changes to timing though, so I just wanted to call you out on an example... it's like saying i before e except after c

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i don't see why you increase the knockback on Lucas' dtilt. I use dtilt to stop slow attack, and mix it with jabs, i would increase his hitstun instead of his knockback
i like what you did with PK Freeze
can we still dtilt lock? or at least dtilt reset and follow up with a smash?
psi magnet is not for killing, but for me, it replaces Lucas' dash attack

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
(KBG/BKB)
KBG-Knockback Growth (Determines how far the opponet will go based on percent
BKB-Base Knockback (Knockback regardless of damage)

As for Lucas' d-tilt, I was talking with Thinkaman and he was able to make D-tilt have a 2-frame advantage instead of a 5-frame disadvantage, making it a true combo for jab combo... basically, he did increase the hitstun of his knockback

All locks are gone except IC's CG which is extremely difficult to pull off, however with the D-tilt buff, it's easier to chain D-tilts to a trip to get a free F-smash

prOAPC

Smash Lord
As for Lucas' d-tilt, I was talking with Thinkaman and he was able to make D-tilt have a 2-frame advantage instead of a 5-frame disadvantage, making it a true combo for jab combo... basically, he did increase the hitstun of his knockback
ohhh i see, then that sounds good :)

on a side note, Lucas' dtilt look should stay, it is not that easy to setup, the opponent can SDI the dair or tech it, and Lucas only need a dtilt, then a smash,, only Galeon uses it as an infinite lol. It is like his only "true combo", and if the idea of BBrawl is to balance matchups, Lucas, as a low tier character, needs it

i'm editing a lot of posts today...

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
ohhh i see, then that sounds good :)

on a side note, Lucas' dtilt look should stay, it is not that easy to setup, the opponent can SDI the dair or tech it, and Lucas only need a dtilt, then a smash,, only Galeon uses it as an infinite lol. It is like his only "true combo", and if the idea of BBrawl is to balance matchups, Lucas, as a low tier character, needs it

i'm editing a lot of posts today...
He buffed the D-air to make it harder to SDI out of it, make it so it knocks down at lower percent, and at high percents it knocks down softer...

With the D-tilt buff his D-tilt to Jab Combo is true...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I assume you meant dtilt-lock. It would be impossible to make the bounce animation different for some attacks but not others, so it's all or nothing. I think you will find though, that the upgraded d-tilt is a pretty great replacement. There's no guaranteed f-smash, but it's pretty darn good.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
That would be the most beneficial use for it, probably.

Even with the grab releases gone, I still suspect Marth & G&W will be the most troublesome. Anyone who has played BBrawl Lucas have an experience?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Only friendlies with a ROB and Link sadly... I just wish there were BBrawl tournies in Raleigh, Brawl+ (and melee) are/is actually really big here, I just have to convince them that defensive tactics are good...

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I just finished playing with my friends who main Marth, Yoshi and Pikachu respectively in BBrawl. His edgeguarding potential has been increased considerably because PK Freeze can now KO off the side, also his Dair's fourth hit now has a 100% chance of meteor smashing.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Dair doesn't always have enough knockback to send into air tumble, but it reaches that level at a noticeably lower % than it used to.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot to mention... One of the implications of the tweaked dair is that the last hit can knock Snake out of Cipher. That's pretty non-trivial.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I'd like to mention that while his Dtilt lock is gone it can still be used to force their getup animation. Their floor bounce animation was sped up enough to prevent it from being an infinite next to walls but since they still get up you can probably still pull off an Fsmash. I just think you lose the ability to chain the Dtilts while they are bouncing on the floor.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
thanks Big O, you have answered my question :)
i don't care if the dtilt lock still exits or not, if i have a guaranted fsmash after dair+dtilt i'm fine
now, can you usmash after the dtilt?
on the other hand dtilt+jab is a tru combo now, right? Well, according to Tyr's data, 1st jab+(jab cancel)dtilt is a true combo, so now in bbrawl, can lucas use 1 jab+dtilt+1 jab+dtilt... just like Ike jab cancelled combos?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm going to have to try that out...

now trying to approach Link is a nightmare, his arrows are so buffed, it's not funny...
his 'rang > PKF and his Arrows > approaches... it's just hard to approach, but we can still gimp Link so it's pretty even MU i'd think

F*** this MU, he can't seriously out space you now, it's not as easy to gimp as before and a good Link won't let you approach, his arrows are scary s*** and it's just not worth it

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i played BBrawl yesterday
- Lucas' PK Freeze is amazing, still hard to hit with, but very rewarding. It is also good on stage, i killed a ZSS with only one hit at 0%, just PKFr then edgehog.
- dtilt to jab IS NOT A TRUE COMBO. I tested it several times, the opponent can just hold his shield, and it will always end in a powershield. It may work if the opponent is trying to attack with a 3 frame or slower attack
- 1 jab to dtitl IS A TRUE COMBO, but it has to be frame perfect that is pointless
- PK Fire and jab combo are more powerful, i liked that, but fsmash seemed weaker, is that right?
- And the reason i won't play BBrawl: Dair to dtilt lock is gone, there's no way you can setup a smash after that, the best options after the dair are jab combo, ftilt or tech chase, none of them will kill at 80%, and Lucas' tech chase options are bad (i'm talking about running grab, running usmash and dash attack).

A for other character
- I don't know what you did to MK, but it looks like all his priority is gone :( dsmash and upB are weak :( they can escape too easy from Tornado. I miss the look of my opponent's face when i chose MK (scared face)
- DDD can't chaingrab, but the tech chase is REALLY funny! poor all those characters with bad rolls :p
- Luigi is top tier, really, those fireballs are annoying as hell, too many pressure, the enemy loses his mind trying to think how to approach or defend. He would be my main

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Keep in mind that B-air is much better now. It can kill around 140-150 on stage if it's sweetspotted... I haven't tested it much but it's happened in my match. RAR'd b-airs are great now.
B-air buff is way to situational

Also APC, show this to your friends and see what they think of it... also remember that BBrawl is not to give buffs in general, but to give buffs to help our bad MU's and not affect our good MU's much... so with that in mind what do you think we would need in our bad MU's that wouldn't affect our few good MU's?
I wouldn't show it to friends until it gets a bit more balanced...

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
It seems that the new Dtilt doesn't force get ups anymore because the angle was changed slighty. Hopefully they will fix that in the next revision. I don't think Dtilt to jab is a combo at all ranges but up close it should combo (the last hit of his jab combo was always iffy combo wise).

prOAPC

Smash Lord
dtilt should force get ups, that's the only thing i'm asking for
if you want to improve Lucas vs his bad MU (Marth in this case), you have to give him an attack that protects him from his blind zone (diagonal and up), but that would be too much
and yeah, i played with a friend, and we are planing to play it again with some others friends next week, they want to try it because the top and high tiers are nerfed

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
yeah, I really wish that they would get rid of the blind spot... and the lack of forced get-up is sucky. But at least there's no CG's or IGR's that debilitate Lucas. I really do hate that there is no guaranteed way to kill anymore, but they wanted to get rid of any infinite and inescapable so they had to do away with d-tilt lock. It's not possible to get it for only a few low tier chars because of the way it works, otherwise laser locking is back. I'm not quite sure exactly how Lucas' new MU with G&W is. G&W received nothing and Lucas' PKF buff is really tuned down. I'm not quite sure how this MU will hold now, the only thing I could think of to make this MU better is lessening the blind spot. I wouldn't care about having to relearn U-tilt or another move if it's hitbox could cover that area.

Due it being late and the fact that I'm sick, I am thinking in incoherent sentences.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
lol, no

most Lucas agree that Snake is harder
Lucas's core ground game is competitive with Snake when toe-to-toe, and recoiled PK Fire is useful against him because it punishes any Snake that jumps the gun on f-tilt or DACUS. Throw in a fair that knocks snake out of Cipher and you've got a pretty decent matchup, though still in Snake's favor primarily due to u-tilt.

G&W is an entirely different animal, able to take to the air freely and out-range you at practically all times. Retreating Bucket is even valid as a PKF counter, forcing Lucas to constantly approach someone who outranges him in all directions. It's very similar to the Marth matchup, but worse.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Hey, I'm not meaning to be rude. I'm just quoting your board's matchup discussion verbatim. You guys have 13 character matchups listed bad as or worse than Snake.

Top Bottom