• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #12: Toon Link

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
To tell you the truth, I could either put TL under Kirby, or over him. I've had lots of experiences against TL with different characters, but I'm still not 100% sure right now. Truth be told, one of those two should be the head of their current tier.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I'm not sure a character that isn't even placing as well as ROB right now should be ahead of Toon Link. I would like to see TL go up a space or two to top off C tier or round out the bottom of B (pushing down Game & Watch)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm not sure a character that isn't even placing as well as ROB right now should be ahead of Toon Link. I would like to see TL go up a space or two to top off C tier or round out the bottom of B (pushing down Game & Watch)
Well if you look at tourney results, Kirby was consistently taking 12-13 in total points, until around the time YbM was forced to use a gamecube controller, which affected the tourney points he was giving Kirby. IMO, that's the reason Kirby hasn't been doing well since MLG took up brawl. YbM being a top 2 Kirby mainer and one of the top representation at tourneys for us, if he stops attending or winning, the points dwindle.

hunger!

Smash Champion

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
I personally think TL should be higher too. His spacing (mostly zair) and projectile game is really good. I have trouble against him as MK, but I'm a very "mid-metagame" prospective, so to speak. Given that, I have a hard time approaching, and camping too long usually results in slowly taking damage over time. /shrugs. I think he's pretty good.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
roflol he's shooting arrows out of the back of his ****ing head.
You didn't know that? o_O

Some TLs do it to instantly bair without RARing, others just for lols. Truth be told, it doesn't have many uses in a match (except the first thing I mentioned).

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Backroom pretty much got it right.

TL is a solid character, but it's still sketchy as too what his true potential is and thus tier list placing, so long as MKs pinning TL down.

Those HyRo vids <3

Kewkky repping that TL!

Anyways, this is for the most part, right. Toon Link is a versatile character. He has plentiful options, mostly due to his tricks, camping tools, and his swordplay. Because of this, his mix-up game is fairly good. His entire character focuses around the word defense. His camp game is really good because of his 3 projectiles along with his Zair, and his aerial mobility helps him run away from his opponents. If enemies get to close, a simple nair can put TL in a favorable position again. He has both a regular recovery, and a tether recovery which is always good, coupled with the fact that he's floaty means that his recovery is somewhere around decent. He also has absurd gimmicks, like his Dsmash gimps and his Bair to DJ Dair DI.

However, he does have some weaknesses. His approach game is lacking, and his offensive game can be beaten with characters that are faster/have more range (MK and Marth). Also, his ledge options aren't great. Like Kewkky said, his OoS Nair/Bair can also get punished easily given the right circumstance. However, his biggest glaring weakness is his terrible matchup with Metaknight. If the MK knows the matchup, you're gonna lose. Plain and simple.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I agree, I think MK is holding TL back from doing better in tourneys.

If we had more TL players who placed well maybe then he would rise in the tier list

TheJerm

Smash Champion
@ Action Panda
Toon Links ledge options are actually great. You can generally stay safe messing around on the ledge with TL

Messing around the ledge is for the most part safe as long as you have a bomb and are cautious. However, recovering from the stage is what I'm talking about. Our options are bad against, lets say... a Marth that knows what he's doing.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Not really, the main problem with marth would be getting back on stage or getting avoiding getting gimped before you get tot he ledge

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, I said you can mess around on the ledge vs him, but when your ready to get back on stage, that's when some problems come in.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I think Toon Links underrate how good Marth is against their character. I think Toon Link is an extremely versatile character who I wish had more top players, because I feel he's really good, and just overlooked a lot.

Top Bottom