• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR Weekly Character Discussion #11: Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I two stocked Flamewave (though to be fair he won the first match), have never not two stocked Phil nye, two stocked CLL, and two stocked Kuro back when he played :) I'm kinda consistent about it, I wasn't just referring to you. Though I would definitely consider you most notable.

I'm rusty now, but I'm hoping to play with Lee Martin over this weekend; I crushed him on WiFi, but WiFi is TRASH(like Xyro). xD I look forward to eating my words, because <3 Lee.

EDIT: Wow, that last statement was a burn. I bought a house and haven't been traveling. Been doing just fine at local tournaments. Winning at life > flying to smash tournaments.
Gotta play me plz, I'm much better now

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Some people don't play serious in friendlies, especially when it comes to timing out. I mean, if you do that, you're just an ***, lol!
SHould play seriously in friendlies, it is the best way to improve.

now as for the discussion regarding Lucari, yes it isn't much, primarily because think about it, Lucario has been talked about TONS before me and Espy a several other BBR members arrived.
So it s a case of, there really isn't much more to add.

Now while I do think gimmicky is a bit extreme to call Lucario, I do think he is a character who tends to be good, but just extremely good.
So do think that in terms of what is being said, its a case of trying to explain why Lucario isn't doing as well as he should be doing.
Of course that being the tit with a mask among a few other things.

Edit: wtf am I saying, Lucario SUCKS!

Steam

Smash Hero
I think the fat penguin is much worse for us... and with this new ruleset the D3 Matchup is 35-65 D3 at best with all the broken CPs d3 just got. of course no one will use it but whatever.

Browny

Smash Hater
Now while I do think gimmicky is a bit extreme to call Lucario, I do think he is a character who tends to be good, but just extremely good.
So do think that in terms of what is being said, its a case of trying to explain why Lucario isn't doing as well as he should be doing.
No sympathy for lazy people.

If you bothered to check, you would see that Lucario for the last year has averaged equal or higher in the rankings thread than his relative tier list position would suggest. Not only that, he is the only character anywhere near him on the list who is showing an INCREASE in tournament dominance.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You know that it's obvious that some people don't give 100% in friendlies, especially when they are famous for timing people out or camping, but they don't do it in friendlies. :p

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
With the exception of CLL, who I've never met or talked with, those guys are all cool and I love them.
But calling them notable Lucarios and using beating them as an argument in here for tier placement is, uh.... suspect.

(Sorry guys, I have to be honest.)
I'm pretty sure that Lee Martin is the only notable Lucario, LOL.

I didn't actually use them as an argument towards tier placing, just as a statement of experience with the MU. You then claimed I was talking about you so I expanded. Don't be so defensive, lol.

iRJi

Smash Champion

I didn't actually use them as an argument towards tier placing, just as a statement of experience with the MU. You then claimed I was talking about you so I expanded. Don't be so defensive, lol.
Care to MM on that statement sir? Just to prove that top statement to be false in a sense.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I assumed you were talking about me because I was pretty sure you haven't ever played any other "notable" Lucarios. And I was right.
That and the fact that I know you've bragged about beating me in friendlies at least one other time recently, so it was an easy conclusion to draw.

Are you just trolling now? I hope you're trolling.

Zucco

Smash Master
Praxis, step out and step it up.

everyone else, chillax

~Phil Nye

Zucco edit: man I cant say anything!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Wow, Lucario boards are silly. Your character IS a gimmick. I've explained WHY it's a gimmick. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that I've put in DOUBLE your playtime, for those of you claiming I'm a theory crafter, and the ONLY non-BBR member to post in this thread that's better than me in actual play is Ksizl (who at least had the decency to speak to me with respect [<3 Kelvin]). Don't get mad because I'm calling people out on doing dumb stuff that enables you to win, when your character isn't as good as perceived.

When I look at characters, I look at their possible options, look at their best options, look at their opponent's options, and determine whether or not someone is either:

A) Consistently picking sub-par options
B) Failing to adjust to an avoidable encounter
C) Using option limiters properly
D) Evading damage to self properly.

When people play Lucario, they consistently pick sub-par options (like dodging into walls)
They fail to adjust to an avoidable encounter (like ADing into Fsmash, when they could just attack Lucario and take MUCH less punishment.)
They don't use option limiters properly. Lucario has 5 main options:
Roll, Wall, Fair, Grab, Aura Sphere. Using proper option limiters, an opponent can reduce 2 of those options completely (grab and roll), they can space to be able to react to an approach (Roll and Fair), they can dodge Aura Sphere on Reaction. That leaves Walling, which prevents the Lucario from taking damage. Now Lucario is saved from being a terrible character, because his walls are REALLY GOOD, and his roll is a great escape. Furthermore, Aura Sphere is a great mix-up (hitting SHs with Aura Sphere is so satisfying) and since the projectile "forces an approach" (but not really), you have a strong level of defensive gameplay here. Since it's hard to approach Lucario on the ground for most characters, he's fortunate to have his Fair, which is an amazing anti-air, and even though it loses to attacks a lot, it's fast enough to get the jump on people, if you will. Though Dair can be SDIed, it's still a great punish tool.

So with these tools, Lucario is a good character, but is mostly a gimmick, because once you understand this is how Lucario works, you can effectively shut him down with a lot of characters that have the simple tools to deal with this.

I strongly harbor my feelings that Lucario is an overrated character. I don't even play the MU all that well (because I still get hit by LOLZY gimmick approaches like roll into Utilt or jab, which is sadly one of your best approaches.)

RJ, I don't think rolling in is a bad habit. Lucario doesn't have amazing approach options. Your roll is amazing. Abuse amazing stuff.

The problem isn't a rolling habit. The problem is a that Lucario doesn't have amazing approach options. His Run-into shield is weak, because he has slow OOS options and low grab range (and mediocre dash speed). His Fair is a decent approach, except against anyone with any other real zoning tool, because for some reason, it just LOSES to stuff. Aura Sphere is a good projectile, and honestly, it saves your character by giving you a mix-up game, and a somewhat intimidating projectile. Honestly, without this move, you'd probably be low-tier. If nothing else, PLEASE learn to use Aura Sphere as well as possible. When your approach options are:
A) Hope they run into a wall
B) Fair
C) Roll in
D) Aura Sphere

and in the current metagame, rolling in is so powerful, especially because your character design ENCOURAGES run into shield, a beastly forward roll is AMAZING. However, I can cover only that option against Lucario and be relatively safe, because you don't have other approaches to fall back on. You just can rely on a base-par camp mix-up, which cannot hit solidly damage a player who understands the character.

Now, this is my observation of your character. If you happen to know something I don't (it's possible, you main this character after all, and you seem to think I'm wrong about something, let me know). My entire style of play revolves around abusing the hell out of character weaknesses. This actually makes Lucario an annoying character for me to fight, because I am an aggressive player, and Lucario's rolling and powerful walling dissuades aggression. When I simply stick to textbook counter-lucario strategies, I have YET to see it fail me, unless I make actual MISTAKES during gameplay. I'm not theory-crafting these things. I'm taking what I have seen and DONE.

Now, I will say that since we're human and we all make mistakes, Lucario is a great character that can capitalize on these mistakes. I'll make a mistake and drop the kill on Lucario, then he'll hit me with massive Aura bonus, and I'll get flustered, allowing to hit me 4 more times and take the lead. Aura Bonus, and Lucario's moveset are great for punishing mistakes brutally. However, Lucario doesn't force mistakes well. He's too slow in his frame data to pose threats from a lot of lines and angles. I make mistakes even in the most basic of matches, which is why I only sometimes three stock Lucario. No one plays perfect all the time. Often I get two stocks because I KNOW THE MATCH-UP. Also, Aura makes utterly destroying Lucario pretty hard, so often, the match appears closer than it actually might have been.

The reason I rant when I fight against Lucario is because I get MAD when I get hit by him. It means I made a mistake. Lucario has very minimal pressure game to speak of. When you bait me, or connect a legitimate hit off of a read or a pressure string, I always compliment you, because I'm identifying a situation of me getting out-played.

Ksizzle, ROFLMAO @ "No one baits in 2010." All good players bait. YOU BAIT. Actually, YOUR BAITING IS ****ING AMAZING. I bait (and hell, I'll toot my own horn a bit, my baiting is pretty good.) RJ is GREAT at baiting. Everyone baits bro. Lucario also baits. You cannot hit people with Fsmash unless you bait them. Or they're scared. I don't understand how an amazing baiter like yourself could even fathom to think that people don't bait in 08.

The problem is that since so many people still don't understand this game, people get hit for free all the time. When I think about MUs and the Tier List and stuff like that, I think to myself, "Remove mistakes from the game, and take players like Isai and his 'Don't get hit' mentality, and M2k's amazing option limiting mentality, and apply it to both characters and see what happens." Does that involve a lot of theory craft? Yes. Does that mean I never test out my stuff? Not at all.

So to Mr. Browny who dares come out of his face with despicable nonsense like "Stick to Marth because that's all I know" please money match me for any sum, Mario vs. Lucario. I've already detailed my primary Anti-Lucario strategies to you, so it should be a breeze. I'd use Marth, but apparently that's all I know, so I figure I should use a different character to really EMPHASIS my point. I know more about this game then you could even imagine, and I play many characters at a competent competitive level.

In regards to Lucario vs. Pikachu . . . Pikachu is a character of recent study that I actually know little about. I've been observing Pikachu play, and I'm studying his match-ups. However, I've yet to witness the Lucario vs. Pikachu MU. I simply offered a tad bit of advice off of a little bit of theory-craft, however, it was obvious in my post that I was not familiar with the MU, and I was merely planting a suggestion of what I would personally try first.

To end I'll just point out something amusing. You'll note that I never once said that Lucario should drop a tier.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol ok mr 'marth is #2'

Your efforts are wasted here. Personally, Im here to correct misconceptions about Lucario and inform people about facts they may not know about. The best part of it all is, despite your ranting and attempted brainwashing of the BBR, Lucarios around the world will place just as well as ever, enjoy playing the character and this thread never really had any effect. The only actual real change that might result because of this thread is a move in the tier list, up or down. However given the current state of the BBR and complete lack of trust or faith in them to do anything right, that wouldnt exactly prove anything.

You can call this avoiding your argument, I'll call it not wasting my time on futile theorycraft wars.

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
Personally, Im here to correct misconceptions about Lucario and inform people about facts they may not know about. The best part of it all is, despite your ranting and attempted brainwashing of the BBR
Just wreck their **** at tournaments, then they'll be like "BBR, lets figure out where we went wrong". Then they'll find this thread. It's their lose if they don't want to stop.
Unfortunately for me, I do play people who know the Lucario match up, and I don't know the match ups.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Wow, Lucario boards are silly. Your character IS a gimmick. I've explained WHY it's a gimmick. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that I've put in DOUBLE your playtime, for those of you claiming I'm a theory crafter, and the ONLY non-BBR member to post in this thread that's better than me in actual play is Ksizl (who at least had the decency to speak to me with respect [<3 Kelvin]). Don't get mad because I'm calling people out on doing dumb stuff that enables you to win, when your character isn't as good as perceived.

When I look at characters, I look at their possible options, look at their best options, look at their opponent's options, and determine whether or not someone is either:

A) Consistently picking sub-par options
B) Failing to adjust to an avoidable encounter
C) Using option limiters properly
D) Evading damage to self properly.

When people play Lucario, they consistently pick sub-par options (like dodging into walls)
They fail to adjust to an avoidable encounter (like ADing into Fsmash, when they could just attack Lucario and take MUCH less punishment.)
They don't use option limiters properly. Lucario has 5 main options:
Roll, Wall, Fair, Grab, Aura Sphere. Using proper option limiters, an opponent can reduce 2 of those options completely (grab and roll), they can space to be able to react to an approach (Roll and Fair), they can dodge Aura Sphere on Reaction. That leaves Walling, which prevents the Lucario from taking damage. Now Lucario is saved from being a terrible character, because his walls are REALLY GOOD, and his roll is a great escape. Furthermore, Aura Sphere is a great mix-up (hitting SHs with Aura Sphere is so satisfying) and since the projectile "forces an approach" (but not really), you have a strong level of defensive gameplay here. Since it's hard to approach Lucario on the ground for most characters, he's fortunate to have his Fair, which is an amazing anti-air, and even though it loses to attacks a lot, it's fast enough to get the jump on people, if you will. Though Dair can be SDIed, it's still a great punish tool.

So with these tools, Lucario is a good character, but is mostly a gimmick, because once you understand this is how Lucario works, you can effectively shut him down with a lot of characters that have the simple tools to deal with this.

I strongly harbor my feelings that Lucario is an overrated character. I don't even play the MU all that well (because I still get hit by LOLZY gimmick approaches like roll into Utilt or jab, which is sadly one of your best approaches.)

RJ, I don't think rolling in is a bad habit. Lucario doesn't have amazing approach options. Your roll is amazing. Abuse amazing stuff.

The problem isn't a rolling habit. The problem is a that Lucario doesn't have amazing approach options. His Run-into shield is weak, because he has slow OOS options and low grab range (and mediocre dash speed). His Fair is a decent approach, except against anyone with any other real zoning tool, because for some reason, it just LOSES to stuff. Aura Sphere is a good projectile, and honestly, it saves your character by giving you a mix-up game, and a somewhat intimidating projectile. Honestly, without this move, you'd probably be low-tier. If nothing else, PLEASE learn to use Aura Sphere as well as possible. When your approach options are:

B) Fair
C) Roll in
D) Aura Sphere

and in the current metagame, rolling in is so powerful, especially because your character design ENCOURAGES run into shield, a beastly forward roll is AMAZING. However, I can cover only that option against Lucario and be relatively safe, because you don't have other approaches to fall back on. You just can rely on a base-par camp mix-up, which cannot hit solidly damage a player who understands the character.

Now, this is my observation of your character. If you happen to know something I don't (it's possible, you main this character after all, and you seem to think I'm wrong about something, let me know). My entire style of play revolves around abusing the hell out of character weaknesses. This actually makes Lucario an annoying character for me to fight, because I am an aggressive player, and Lucario's rolling and powerful walling dissuades aggression. When I simply stick to textbook counter-lucario strategies, I have YET to see it fail me, unless I make actual MISTAKES during gameplay. I'm not theory-crafting these things. I'm taking what I have seen and DONE.

Now, I will say that since we're human and we all make mistakes, Lucario is a great character that can capitalize on these mistakes. I'll make a mistake and drop the kill on Lucario, then he'll hit me with massive Aura bonus, and I'll get flustered, allowing to hit me 4 more times and take the lead. Aura Bonus, and Lucario's moveset are great for punishing mistakes brutally. However, Lucario doesn't force mistakes well. He's too slow in his frame data to pose threats from a lot of lines and angles. I make mistakes even in the most basic of matches, which is why I only sometimes three stock Lucario. No one plays perfect all the time. Often I get two stocks because I KNOW THE MATCH-UP. Also, Aura makes utterly destroying Lucario pretty hard, so often, the match appears closer than it actually might have been.

The reason I rant when I fight against Lucario is because I get MAD when I get hit by him. It means I made a mistake. Lucario has very minimal pressure game to speak of. When you bait me, or connect a legitimate hit off of a read or a pressure string, I always compliment you, because I'm identifying a situation of me getting out-played.

Ksizzle, ROFLMAO @ "No one baits in 2010." All good players bait. YOU BAIT. Actually, YOUR BAITING IS ****ING AMAZING. I bait (and hell, I'll toot my own horn a bit, my baiting is pretty good.) RJ is GREAT at baiting. Everyone baits bro. Lucario also baits. You cannot hit people with Fsmash unless you bait them. Or they're scared. I don't understand how an amazing baiter like yourself could even fathom to think that people don't bait in 08.

The problem is that since so many people still don't understand this game, people get hit for free all the time. When I think about MUs and the Tier List and stuff like that, I think to myself, "Remove mistakes from the game, and take players like Isai and his 'Don't get hit' mentality, and M2k's amazing option limiting mentality, and apply it to both characters and see what happens." Does that involve a lot of theory craft? Yes. Does that mean I never test out my stuff? Not at all.

So to Mr. Browny who dares come out of his face with despicable nonsense like "Stick to Marth because that's all I know" please money match me for any sum, Mario vs. Lucario. I've already detailed my primary Anti-Lucario strategies to you, so it should be a breeze. I'd use Marth, but apparently that's all I know, so I figure I should use a different character to really EMPHASIS my point. I know more about this game then you could even imagine, and I play many characters at a competent competitive level.

In regards to Lucario vs. Pikachu . . . Pikachu is a character of recent study that I actually know little about. I've been observing Pikachu play, and I'm studying his match-ups. However, I've yet to witness the Lucario vs. Pikachu MU. I simply offered a tad bit of advice off of a little bit of theory-craft, however, it was obvious in my post that I was not familiar with the MU, and I was merely planting a suggestion of what I would personally try first.

To end I'll just point out something amusing. You'll note that I never once said that Lucario should drop a tier.
I would first like to point out that despite Lucario only hitting someone then they make a "mistake" (I use quotes because it's not really true, but I will go by what you are saying for the sake of the argument)Does not make him a gimmick, in fact, it only shows that he is amazing on capitalizing mistakes. I understand that you pointed out that since we are all human, we are going to have errors, but I am reiterating it because that statement is just that. Because you are human, no matter how good you are, you will mess up. You can limit your way of going about this, but when you do you will take a good amount of damage, which is not Lucario's fault, nor the player at hand, but rather you being human. We have tools to hit every mistake you make for 15 + damage, that does not make him a gimmick, that just shows that we have amazing tools in that category.

When you come down to it, in any fighter game you will not get hit unless you make a mistake on spacing or timing. The overall rule of the fighter game really does come down to which person does better at capitalizing on the mistakes to make it worth while.

Example:
I don't like to cross into other fighters outside of brawl, but lets take SSf4 for example.

Balrog vs Dan

Do you know if that Dan never makes a mistake in comparison to Balrog, he is going to win right? It is only in fact that since Balrog is BETTER at capitilizing on mistakes made, he has a clear cut advantage. Dans mistakes will be more devastating then Balrogs.

Example 2:

Smash Melee

Fox vs Gannon

If gannon does not make a mistake in comparison to fox, he will in fact win the game because he was never open to be hit in the first place.

Example finish

Now you take into account that tools vary to get your oppoent to make a mistake, and make them open, and that is what further defines the character as weather he is good or not.

Now, I will talk about this:

B) Fair
C) Roll in
D) Aura Sphere
First off, I would like to say that when it comes to apporaching, Lucario only has an issue against 3 characters that actually matter to be mentioned.

Marth
Metaknight
D3

Marth being the only reason is that his Standard game of "I'm going to fair to zone" completely out ranges Lucario, and in combination with his faster falling speed and mobility, it makes it very very hard to get in in the first place.

Metaknight is a bit different. Air camping Metaknight is not a issue to even be noted. If a MK air camps lucario, it's pretty easy to get around. This is where the ground game comes into play. Metaknight's clear cut advantage on the floor beats Lucario, which (from my perspective) very hard to handle Metaknight, the only reason.

Now for D3, It's the sheer fact that the risk reward for attempting to go to him in the first place is very bad. I would not like to ping him for 3 damage for a trade of a CG or a backthrow. Other then that, D3 is completely avoidable. His Bair is cute and all, but it is not really that much of a problem as people like to claim.

Now, since all of that is out of the way, lets go to every other character. I have to talk from my perspective, since this is what I know best here.

WHEN DID I EVER HAVE A PROBLEM REACHING PEOPLE WHO WERE NOT THOSE 3 CHARACTERS?

It's rare, because frankly it's pretty much non existent. Lucarios OOS options might be a bit slower then everyone elses, but that does not constitute the fact that it is fast enough to cover the options it needs to cover properly. A frame 6 jab gets the job done on most options picked on shield against him, and for the moves that are picked against it that require a shield as the persons only option to escape damage, that is what grab is for. Then you can take into account that Utilt is a frame faster, which just makes all life nice and dandy. I remember telling you this before, but speed does not substitute a good option. You should know, you most likely know more frame data then I do. I only studied the things I need to know so I know what options to use for it. Frame 6 jab OOS is not as good as a frame 3 or 2 jab, but it is STILL fast enough to properly go about punishing moves in the game. You will not punish Lucarios jab on hit unless you have a frame 2 or faster move in the air, and in which case there are only like 5 characters who do. In sum, outside of the characters i noted, have fun zoning lucario to a point where he can't get to you.

Rolling in is bad, ESP against the characters I just mentioned. It should hardly be used in those scenario. I do abuse the broken option, but its not broken against some characters, like the ones I listed above. Rolling out is fine however.

The problem is that since so many people still don't understand this game, people get hit for free all the time. When I think about MUs and the Tier List and stuff like that, I think to myself, "Remove mistakes from the game, and take players like Isai and his 'Don't get hit' mentality, and M2k's amazing option limiting mentality, and apply it to both characters and see what happens
However, we do not live in a perfect world. The one thing that people fail to invite into their argument is that human error does play a large factor in any game. It should be used and counted for in any argument in a game. The largest part of theory is that you have to consider the option of if you did play it perfect, or the possibilities of what could happen if you messed up. It's just the factual message behind it. " for when there is a statement, there is a BUT statement that goes with it" This contains the obvious continuous loop, which is what makes theorycraft, theorycraft.

I don't like writing long posts, but I do correct what I feel is somewhat of error when I need too. I also think that saying Lucario is a gimmick, ESP after everything I said just now, is a wrong statement. To be more direct, it's not the right word to call lucario.

Wario doing his Smashville platform glitch is a gimmick.
Trying deliberate to cast off the green green bombs to stay there infinitely is a gimmick.

Lucario is NOT a gimmick.

You have to take into account that in another definition of the word "Gimmick" It will also classify as something that does not work, or is not set in stone on working. If we are to go by that definition however, most of the game is a gimmick, so we have to use a different variation of the meaning for the topic at hand. I handed out glitches that can be reproduced if attempted enough to substitute the terms of gimmicks, but can anyone say that what I am saying about the Wario and green green thing is not also classified as a gimmick as well as a glitch?

Rawr.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Then you will be relieved to find my reply brief.

I strongly feel you do not need Marth's powerful level of zoning to wall out Lucario. Because of his limited approaches, and the lack of priority/disjointedness on his Fair, it leaves him heavily subject to counter-walls.

Of course being able to punish mistakes is a powerful aspect of the game (hell, look at Snake). However, I think I'm justified in saying that as the level of play ascends, the number of mistakes opponents make are reduced. When I'm discussing tier lists and MUs, I'm typically thinking at very high levels of play, where few mistakes are made. I take into account things such as baiting tools, real human reaction time, etc, but I don't consider things such as emotional reactions, natural mistakes, etc.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
A gimmick according to http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...k&sa=X&ei=0P5aTIaHB4H88AbB-5HPAg&ved=0CBIQkAE is something that just looks flashy and really adds no value. Aura adds value to Lucario by letting him string things together at low %, have decent punishing mechanisms at mid %, and being something you don't want to get hit by at all when he is at high %. Disregarding knowing you can kill him would you approach a Lucario in the same fashion when he was at 0%, 75%, or 170%? Since you do know that you can kill him when he is at high % there adds the high risk high reward factor and mindgame for both Lucario and his opponent.

Our playstyles are forced to change when the match progresses. Lucarios who always do the same things regardless of percent aren't playing him right. You are right in the respect that a lot of Lucarios play very linearly.

A very dynamic example of playstyle change would be Lucario vs. Peach.

Most of Peach's Turnips don't get outprioritized by a fresh fully charged Aura Sphere at even stocks until 46%. Once you take staleness into account its easier to start camping Peach at around 60-70%.

When we actually get into kill range a 24% Aura Sphere (fresh, 142%, even stock) actually outprioritizes her FAir.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250225 Aura Sphere Priority info thread.

Also, Lucarios need to be using BAir more against a FAir happy Marth.

At the top and bottom of Marf's FAir Lucario's BAir outranges Marf and if they trade Lucario will do more damage when he is at 60% and hits with the beginning of his BAir. Lucario at 115% will do 14% with his BAir fresh, which out damages fresh tipper FAir (not like that won't be staled to hell though lol).

Lucario becomes harder to approach when he can out damage you.

We can also improve Lucario's OoS options if people bothered to learn the Air Walk tech... For those who don't know http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271111

Also you might wanna take a look at our hitbubbles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZghDI-AcKJc

Psst Lucarios: Looking at NAir at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZghDI-AcKJc#t=3m33s doesn't it look like that comes out in... 4 frames instead of the 6 we have in our frame data thread?
I think D.Disciple or iRJi told me it came out in 4 (I can't remember which one of you told me that though, sorry!).

Shield drop UTilt ain't shabby at all.

Lucario has many more than 5 options to things...

It would really help if we had hitstun/shieldstun/shield hit lag info for the varying damages of Lucario's moves, but that's a lot of work and we really need help with this... If someone wants to play a truly technical style of Lucario we need this data.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Then you will be relieved to find my reply brief.

I strongly feel you do not need Marth's powerful level of zoning to wall out Lucario. Because of his limited approaches, and the lack of priority/disjointedness on his Fair, it leaves him heavily subject to counter-walls.

Of course being able to punish mistakes is a powerful aspect of the game (huell, look at Snake). However, I think I'm justified in saying that as the level of play ascends, the number of mistakes opponents make are reduced. When I'm discussing tier lists and MUs, I'm typically thinking at very high levels of play, where few mistakes are made. I take into account things such as baiting tools, real human reaction time, etc, but I don't consider things such as emotional reactions, natural mistakes, etc.
Ok, i amon my phone, so this is a bit harder for me to react to with anything notable. however I can say that I agree with you on this part, but mistakes are a bigger aspect then what people give it credit for. Overall, unless your plan is to be hit, getting hit is normally revolved around an error in your apporach to a persons option. This can be as big as i button input error, or as little as you being reador improper spacing. Overall, under the basic definition of "don't get hit" which, is the ultimate goal of the game, you will have to under go risks that will put you in a position where this becomes true. The saying overall for brawl does not work well, because this games varies variables that are too inconsistant for it to be a constant.

I am not disagreeing with you in anyway.I am just bringing this up because I fell it's needed.No one should take anything I say to heart, but rahter, look at it with an open mind.(The last part of this sentence is not directed to you, Pierce)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
However given the current state of the BBR and complete lack of trust or faith in them to do anything right, that wouldnt exactly prove anything.
i like this paragraph so much, i quoted it by itself

and now i will re-read it

also agreeing with my sig on dis thread, bbr dont know nothin about lucy

This is why I rather play Brawl than talk about it.
brax with all the theory kraft and
(why isnt this an emote here?) i've been doing this alot more

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
lol ok mr 'marth is #2'

Your efforts are wasted here. Personally, Im here to correct misconceptions about Lucario and inform people about facts they may not know about. The best part of it all is, despite your ranting and attempted brainwashing of the BBR, Lucarios around the world will place just as well as ever, enjoy playing the character and this thread never really had any effect. The only actual real change that might result because of this thread is a move in the tier list, up or down. However given the current state of the BBR and complete lack of trust or faith in them to do anything right, that wouldnt exactly prove anything.

You can call this avoiding your argument, I'll call it not wasting my time on futile theorycraft wars.
Well, I dunno, I mean, if good players bother to read my strategies on the MU (which have been proven in actual play btw, not just theory) then I could see your character taking a minor drop.

By that definition of gimmick, meaning flashy but of little value, I call out Lucario so hard, because all that walling should not work on players that know how to deal with it properly.

It's not theory-craft if it's the actual strategy I employ in practice bro. My call on the Luc vs. Pika MU is theory craft. Hell, Lucario's maintaining placings is theory-craft. I simply aim to educate people on underused flaws in your character. Insulting the BBR over that just makes you look defensive and silly.

Also, I would say that people are far from having lost their faith in me. I'm pretty good at this game, and often very accurate in the things I say. As I said two posts ago, feel free to inform me of tools your character possesses that I might be overlooking.

Bair is decent, except it's way too slow.

It is amusing that your reaction is, "ZOMG, he thinks Lucario isn't good and stated so in a well thought out and decent paragraph. I'm gonna flame until they leave the boards, how dare they even think of talking of our character like they know something. But darn, he's actually vastly knowledgeable and experienced, so I'll just call it theory-craft and retreat in superiority."

If you honestly feel that is not what you did, then I question your personal views.

Steam

Smash Hero
why can't we get this kind of discussion on metagame advancement threads rather than useless arguing threads? >_<

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
It is amusing that your reaction is, "ZOMG, he thinks Lucario isn't good and stated so in a well thought out and decent paragraph. I'm gonna flame until they leave the boards, how dare they even think of talking of our character like they know something. But darn, he's actually vastly knowledgeable and experienced, so I'll just call it theory-craft and retreat in superiority."

If you honestly feel that is not what you did, then I question your personal views.
You honestly need to stop thinking so high of yourself.

I personally hope that you are trolling this thread.

TheBuzzSaw, Youko, Hylian, SamuraiPanda Why are these people on our boards? o.e

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Both sides have valid points and both need to chill the fvck out.

I think people are just overeacting to the word gimmick, I'm also kinda averse to calling luc a gimmick but at the same time I feel it's close, but not quite.

Brb thesaurus.

Hey pierce can we hang out at apex, I wanna talk

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
So yeah Pierce, I can agree that you know Lucario's weaknesses pretty well, but isn't it a little unfair to call him a gimmick when you take into account the various Lucario players that actually place well with him.

As RJ said, his options are fairly unique and for every opponent that isn't limiting Lucario's options correctly, there's a Lucario that isn't taking full advantage of Lucario's options.

In fact, let's play some friendlies at Apex so that I can show you some options you probably never considered.

Browny

Smash Hater
Rofl, that technique doesnt work on me, sorry.

Its one thing to say simply Lucario is bad. You wouldnt be the first, gallax did that to a much larger degree but it wasnt that big an issue, I let it go. What you do however, is attempt to justify your opinion as a fact citing nothing but theory and anecdotes.

Read through your mega post. Take note of how many times you used 'I' and cited your experiences. Your arguments are almost entirely subjective. Again, that is not a problem by itself but you attempt to force these opinions onto everyone else with anecdotal evidence. There is room for doubt in so many of things that you say, it is impossible for either side to prove anything.

You can not prove that your theory is right unless Lucarios the world over suddenly start getting beaten by people they normally beat. I dont need to bother attempting to disprove anything you say because it will not change anything. When I say your effort is wasted I dont mean that your arguments are wrong, but you really are wasting a lot of time and effort trying to convince us that what you say is true, when many of us have experiences of our own which say the opposite. You cant change that, the only people you will convince is the rest of the willfully ignorant BBR which you could do in 1 setence easily.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Read through your mega post. Take note of how many times you used 'I' and cited your experiences. Your arguments are almost entirely subjective. Again, that is not a problem by itself but you attempt to force these opinions onto everyone else with anecdotal evidence. There is room for doubt in so many of things that you say, it is impossible for either side to prove anything.
Pierce's "I" is merely redundant, yet you act as if it changes the nature of his post. There is nothing wrong with citing experience as evidence, as it is ultimately empirical. A better rebuttal would be to give a counter-example, rather than the blatant ad hominem and pretentiousness that you responded with.

Braxton2011

Smash Ace
NNID
Braxtonian8
3DS FC
4167-4550-9020
Pierce's "I" is merely redundant, yet you act as if it changes the nature of his post. There is nothing wrong with citing experience as evidence, as it is ultimately empirical. A better rebuttal would be to give a counter-example, rather than the blatant ad hominem and pretentiousness that you responded with.
The only way to counter example is to prove him wrong, which hopefully some Lucario at APEX will do that for those who can't make it there. My
and some others in this board
problem with his comments is he said Lucario has 5 options, all not backed up with videos.

And maybe I didn't read it well enough (too freaking long), but I don't think he said anything about a campy Lucario at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom