• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basic Defense

sfoster83

Smash Rookie
Hi there,

I was thinking my defense is pretty bad, maybe you guys can help

If i am in the air and someone is trying to juggle me, what I do is try to air dodge near the ground, then press and hold shield as my character lands. Sometimes it seems like I still get hit though, should I be blocking in a different way?

Same for getting off the ledge, I will tap over, then hold down shield but sometimes I still get hit as my character gets off the ledge.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i've been doing that for 3 years and get punished every time. it's very easy to grab airdodge landings. if you can mix it up with jumping outta the way (easy for me to say cause im a ****in jigglypuff)

Priority Fire

Smash Rookie
I main Meta Knight and if I'm in the air, what I like to do is use Dimensional Cape and appear on either side (airdodging is exploitable and I really don't using dair for anything other than gimping and occasional approaches).

I don't know a lot about Zelda, though. Try alternating between airdodge and Nayru's Love, perhaps?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I main Meta Knight and if I'm in the air, what I like to do is use Dimensional Cape and appear on either side (airdodging is exploitable and I really don't using dair for anything other than gimping and occasional approaches).
Dimensional Cape? lolwut

sfoster83

Smash Rookie

I don't know a lot about Zelda, though. Try alternating between airdodge and Nayru's Love, perhaps?
Nayru's is only really decent at attacking horizontally, it provides no protection from usmashes
To be fair i guess zelda punishes anyone from above too, her usmash is nasty.

Deadsh0t

Smash Rookie
I don't know much about Zelda, but try to keep your double jump, just try being unpredictable in general while falling, fake out going close with an attack and jump back with a nair and try to fast fall to the ground away from your opponent. If they rush you when you hit ground I guess either shield or try to hit them with an Fsmash or w/e else.

You could also try getting crafty with her Up B too I guess.

WMSC_Dot

Smash Rookie
My remedy to being juggled is I have many options I can use and many unique ways to use them.
1. I can fast fall a nair and send them horizontally,and quickly land resuming my character's dominant ground game.

2.I can do a dair, I don't ever use this because of it's landing lag when fast falled.

3.Airdodge early and uair, this is a random mixup I use that works because it is unexpected.

4.Make my way offstage and grab the ledge, so I won't take any additional damage + MK can camp on the ledge for the whole summer.

Penguin4478

Smash Cadet
It depends for me.

If I'm using a character with a good Dair, I would probably just mash that and when I land follow up or roll away.

If I'm using a character that has a laggy startup Dair (R.O.B), then I would probably just try to jump out of the way as fast as I can.

When I'm facing Zelda, which I do quite often since my best friend mains her, I would always just mash on jump buttons because airdodging her Usmash is impossible, and so is countering with Dair 4/5 times.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
While we're on the subject of defence, could someone explain the difference between being a defensive player and an offensive player? Also, what makes a character defensive or offensive?

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
While we're on the subject of defence, could someone explain the difference between being a defensive player and an offensive player? Also, what makes a character defensive or offensive?
I'm not much of an expert but I know that someone who approaches a lot, throws out attacks, rarely takes the time to block, and exerts lots of pressure is an offensive player. While someone who hides in shield, keeps a distance from their opponent, waits to react on enemy attacks to punish, and of course pressuring their opponents with projectiles while camping would be a defensive player. Brawl is a game that rewards defensive players more than offensive players.

What makes a character defensive or offensive is up to the player to decide. For example, a Falco player can use his great Forward special and dash attack to approach and choose to be offensive with his great jabs, throws, smashes and areals. Or he can choose to use his Forward Special combined with his lasers to camp and have the enemy approach him instead. You can even have a combination of both play styles. Though there are some characters who's play styles favor offensive play or defensive play. To know that, you should check the character forums to learn it.

SuperNova!

Smash Apprentice
I'm not much of an expert but I know that someone who approaches a lot, throws out attacks, rarely takes the time to block, and exerts lots of pressure is an offensive player. While someone who hides in shield, keeps a distance from their opponent, waits to react on enemy attacks to punish, and of course pressuring their opponents with projectiles while camping would be a defensive player. Brawl is a game that rewards defensive players more than offensive players.
I've been wondering about that for a while. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom