• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning Bayonetta in Tournaments

Should Bayonetta be banned?

• Yes, she is game breaking

Votes: 157 19.6%
  • No, players need to adapt to her mechanics

Votes: 398 49.6%
  • Not sure yet, meta progress or patches could resolve the issue.

Votes: 248 30.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I can add much to this thread, as it seems to be going in circles, but I'd like to make a small point.

The community is way too quick to jump to conclusions without any evidence of how good a character is. Besides Bayonetta, I main Shulk and Yoshi and the community's proneness to overreaction has really hurt those characters. Remember when everyone though Shulk was high tier? And Yoshi in the top 5? Or how about when Roy came out and everyone thought he was OP? All this does is hurt the characters for no reason; because of the false perceptions about how good they were, they never really got the significant buffs they needed. Roy has been hardly touched, Shulk has been buffed (but not significantly), and Yoshi hasn't been touched (despite having no results, and possibly needing a slight buff). Give the meta some time to develop. If Bayonetta starts constantly winning tournaments and remains unpatched, then we can discuss a nerf.
Yeah, their explanation for the ban was basically we have to stop Bayonetta before she dominates the scene and becomes too late to ban her like Brawl MK.
That is basically "Oh he can use (not have) a gun! Let arrest him even though he hasn't hurt anyone."

Pazda

Smash Rookie
Yeah, their explanation for the ban was basically we have to stop Bayonetta before she dominates the scene and becomes too late to ban her like Brawl MK.
That is basically "Oh he can use (not have) a gun! Let arrest him even though he hasn't hurt anyone."
No, it's more like arresting someone for having many ties to ISIS and finding some evidence for a plan. We know Bayonetta is broken, we've seen evidence multiple times. Her neutral is very, very hard to punish, she has almost guaranteed 0 to deaths, witch time, a very good recovery.. how is she balanced at all? Once Bayonetta was figured out, I lost most of my motivation to play at a high level. I don't want to play against something like that, it's not fun. And that's what makes a character toxic.

So what if she has no results? She's been out for 5% of the game's lifespan. There have been less tournaments, and much less lab time. She's just going to get better and better as time goes on until there's just no reason to play anyone outside of the top 10 because they just get beat by Bayo, who everyone will be playing at that point.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
???????????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faXnOd-RC7s
How is it Bayonetta's problem?
Using Witch Twist gives a lot of landing lag, 19F+.
Keep in mind, Smash attacks comes out at around 13~22F (DDD 42F xP)
Yea, most upsmashes are gonna lose to lingering nair or bair though.

And like I said, Ally KNEW the upb would kill so he did it. He could die if he just missed or did too little knockback. Black yoshi didn't know at all, he was just throwing it out.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Yea, most upsmashes are gonna lose to lingering nair or bair though.

And like I said, Ally KNEW the upb would kill so he did it. He could die if he just missed or did too little knockback. Black yoshi didn't know at all, he was just throwing it out.
When she LANDS, Bair doesn't linger aside from small explosions for the gun.
Quite the double standards, you claim BY doesn't know what he is doing but Ally does?
Face it, it was a demonstration of how crazy rage can be, being Bayonetta has nothing to do with it.

So what if she has no results?
xP
Are we seriously banning a character with no results?
You haven't really explained how my "Oh he can use (not have) a gun. Let's arrest him even though he hasn't hurt anyone." fails to represent the silliness.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
When people are saying no results... have they even seen her results at local and regional level? All she is missing is international level results.

Lets remember Ryu was touted as top 5, and he NEVER had any results. Bayo has produced 100x more results than Ryu has in 1 year, in 2 months.

If it takes 9B/Komorikiri winning Evo with Bayonetta, so be it. Thats the result you'll need.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
When people are saying no results... have they even seen her results at local and regional level? All she is missing is international level results.

Lets remember Ryu was touted as top 5, and he NEVER had any results. Bayo has produced 100x more results than Ryu has in 1 year, in 2 months.

If it takes 9B/Komorikiri winning Evo with Bayonetta, so be it. Thats the result you'll need.
The difference is no one is trying to ban Ryu.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord

I mean, characters stronger than Ryu have since been nerfed. The playing field in that 1 year for Ryu is not the same playing field in the 2 months with Bayonetta.

And what of her results at local and regional level? People switch to a higher tiered character and perform better. This isn't a new concept, and talking in these generalized terms does nothing for the discussion. If you'd like to bring up specific local and regional results or specific sets, then we actually have something tangible to work with.

Cloud would be a better example. Anecdotally better results in a comparable time frame, much better adoption rate, and actually has resulted in a definitive shift in the game, notably in the doubles metagame which hasn't seen anything this big since Mr.G&W bucket shenanigans with Sheik and Pikachu or the Olimar + Reflector strategy.

Greward

Smash Lord
Karisuma 6. Bayonetta wins.

Hirosuma 3. Bayonetta wins and another Bayonetta gets top3, having 3 bayonettas in top8.

Shulla-bra VI. Bayonetta wins.

Hokkaido Smash 9 Tournament. Two bayonettas in top8, by two players who never ever got top8 at a tournament before.

Sumabato 8. Called sumabayo in Japan, Bayonetta gets 1st and 2nd.

Sumabato 7. Bayonetta wins.

There has been 9 big japanese tournaments since release, 5 won by bayonetta, all of them with at least a Bayonetta in top8.
Yet she has no results. And this is merely two months in.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
There has been 9 big japanese tournaments since release, 5 won by bayonetta, all of them with at least a Bayonetta in top8.
Alternatively,

1) Won by 9B, and the Lucas must have been doing something right as he managed to bracket reset.

2) Won by ikep, beat 9B in Losers Finals, which is the only thing I have to go on about him.

3) Won by Hiro, but I don't know any of the names there were at this tournament either.

4) Two players placed better from changing to a top tier. Not surprising on paper, and GF was Mario/Cloud doing a bracket reset and winning the tournament vs a Sheik.

5) Komokiri wins a tournament apparently by utilizing all three of his most known characters (Sonic, Cloud, Bayonetta), 9B is that 2nd place.

6) Komokiri wins, and someone must have been doing something right as Komokiri got sent down to losers near immediately and his time at this tournament was essentially just one "long" (did any of these tournaments actually break 70 players? I'll have to recheck) loser's run.

Do you have a power ranking so I can compare who all these people are or links to VODS to see how the matches actually played out? ...do japanese tournaments even do vods? I honestly don't know.

EDIT: I apologize, I hit the post button to early, here is the rest of the post.

Yet she has no results. And this is merely two months in.
I mean, if I did something similar with Diddy, people would correctly tell me my results are being skewed due to ZeRo, would they not? Or if I did so with Sheik, people would correctly bring up Mr. R, Void, etc, yes?

And no one is saying she doesn't get results. It would be factually inaccurate to say such a thing, in the same way people against banning aren't magically saying she isn't good. An MD/VA player even got into Top 8 at a national set in their own region, which I've always been under the assumption is the sign of the apocalypse.

EDIT 2: Thank you for the links, by the way.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
According to Smashboards, Bayo has been the third most used character in tournaments since February at a usage of 268 [3rd]. She's reached 8th or better in a tournament 154 [3rd] times while winning only 24 [7th] tournaments. If we shrink down those numbers to the past month, she goes to used 121 [3rd], 8th or better 73 [3rd], and 9 [9th] first places. She appears to be trending downwards in performance.

These are hardly Meta Knight numbers, where he was obtaining a 60% win-share or greater every week [sometimes 80% or more] and was obtaining character usage rates on a 3-6 times greater than each high tier character. Unfortunately John Number's graphs are all broken links now, or else I'd show them to illustrate this point.

I've pointed this out in another thread, when it comes to banning a character you need to make sure that the character is in fact the problem. This takes time. You need to first examine the match ups, the potential character mismatches, or if there's an issue with the rule set that is allowing the character to be dominate. For example in Brawl, with Meta Knight every character broke down every possible way they could approach the match up. From there, we started to look towards changing the Stage List to remove the best counter-picks for Meta Knight, despite it hurting many low-mid tiers in the process. After that, we further tweaked the rule set towards ledge counts to prevent degenerate game play tactics.

It was only after that, and the accumulation of thousands of competitive matches that we finally got to the point where we were comfortable with banning the character in the URC. I'm not saying that all, or even any of these are the single right way to look at the situation. What needs to occur is that you have to see the effect on the meta of the character, and give it a chance to correct itself.
Taken from -Ran of /r/smashbros

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Was it a fair data interpretation?
Almost all of those results are from 9B and Komorikiri (already top players) and Ikep (the one who actually improved his results).
And while there were two Bayonettas in the Hokkaido tournament's top 8, calling them "two players who never ever got top8 at a tournament before" sounds unfair when they didn't outplace anyone notable either.
:196:

Greward

Smash Lord
Look at SHI-G channel in youtube, most vods are there.
There's a japanese power ranking, don't have it atm though.
Japan is seriously displeased at Bayonetta from what I can see from twitter.

And tbh, since the situation went mainstream so quickly, a ban might not even come forth since I believe she will be hotfixed in a few weeks lol.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Look at SHI-G channel in youtube, most vods are there.
There's a japanese power ranking, don't have it atm though.
Japan is seriously displeased at Bayonetta from what I can see from twitter.

And tbh, since the situation went mainstream so quickly, a ban might not even come forth since I believe she will be hotfixed in a few weeks lol.
It's hopelessly naive to assume that a skeleton team is going to push a patch any sooner just because there currently exists a vocal subset that want her out of the game's competitive meta and there is no way to properly gauge how far that will reach. It took over a year to make Sheik less stupid than she originally was. A case can be made that 1.1.5. exists simply as a courtesy for parameters regarding DLC characters that they couldn't possibly predict upon release. Balancing is not easy, and it's not as fast as you make it out to be. Bayonetta isn't easily fixed just by nerfing Witch Twist and Divekick even though that would hamper her punish game quite a bit. We're talking meticulous, deliberate changes here, especially for a character like Bayonetta - and chances are plenty other characters would be reviewed in the process of a patch that the community desperately wants to exist, not to decrease insane values like Sheik/Diddy (because these characters never really lost their strengths in neutral), but to decrease the effectivity of one character's entire game plan.

At some point you have to realistically ask yourself; "what if there are no patches left in store?" and start planning around that very fact. The Smash scene is probably the only one I've seen in the FGC that concerns itself too much about what might happen rather than what is happening.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's hopelessly naive to assume that a skeleton team is going to push a patch any sooner just because there currently exists a vocal subset that want her out of the game's competitive meta and there is no way to properly gauge how far that will reach. It took over a year to make Sheik less stupid than she originally was. A case can be made that 1.1.5. exists simply as a courtesy for parameters regarding DLC characters that they couldn't possibly predict upon release. Balancing is not easy, and it's not as fast as you make it out to be. Bayonetta isn't easily fixed just by nerfing Witch Twist and Divekick even though that would hamper her punish game quite a bit. We're talking meticulous, deliberate changes here, especially for a character like Bayonetta - and chances are plenty other characters would be reviewed in the process of a patch that the community desperately wants to exist, not to decrease insane values like Sheik/Diddy (because these characters never really lost their strengths in neutral), but to decrease the effectivity of one character's entire game plan.

At some point you have to realistically ask yourself; "what if there are no patches left in store?" and start planning around that very fact. The Smash scene is probably the only one I've seen in the FGC that concerns itself too much about what might happen rather than what is happening.
Nitpicknitpick, there is a scheduled maintenance tonight. 1.1.6 hotfix?

Actually, nobody truly knows how much the dev team is still working in the game.

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/SmashBrosSpain/status/717683508894908417
Looks like Bayonetta was never officially banned.
After digging around, there was only one source for the claim the Bayonetta was banned.
https://twitter.com/GrewardSSB/status/717471252592590848
If you click the link you will get nowhere.

Sorry, but I like an explanation Greward.
I'm not entirely sure what you're expecting from him.

The Smash Spanish twitter (all of Smash in Spain has the same twitter, what?) doesn't say there wasn't any vote or that anything Greward said on that part of the subject.

Dude just jumped the gun due to the results from a 130 person poll right after a major tournament upset, is all. Nothing deceiving with that, just a touch of overzealousness.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord

Actually, nobody truly knows how much the dev team is still working in the game.
If it's Wii U only maintenance like Buddhahobo says then I'm not expecting it, though I generally don't actively try expecting them in general because first you have to pray for there to be a change, and then you have to pray that the changes aren't a crapshoot. Your second sentence definitely ties into my point in all this. For all we know the game might not even get another patch until the rumored NX port happens, and since Sakurai's team are never in the habit of even releasing specific patch notes I kind of doubt that they will ever openly come out stating "balance patches are now over". Splatoon seems to be the only game where Nintendo actually treat them with some care, even talking about them in Directs.

If 1.1.6. happens this soon though that kind of tells me that they might not have given the (potential) changes to Bayonetta much thought.

After digging around, there was only one source for the claim the Bayonetta was banned.

I like how Ally, who is probably the most outspoken Bayonetta detractor out of the top pros, actually says that her not being banned yet is "good". Makes me wonder if his constant "ban Bayonetta" tweets were just frustration or deliberate pot stirring.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like how Ally, who is probably the most outspoken Bayonetta detractor out of the top pros, actually says that her not being banned yet is "good". Makes me wonder if his constant "ban Bayonetta" tweets were just frustration or deliberate pot stirring.
You can never really tell when Ally is serious or not on social media. He ****posts a lot.

:4mewtwo:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Tonight's maintenance doesn't mention anything about which games will be affected. I do know that Nintendo Badge Arcade will be undergoing some maintenance tomorrow though.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Saying that a patch isn't going to happen is as naive as stating the opposite.
1.1.5 came out of nowhere and the existence of 1.1.6 is a complete moot point.

In the meantime what we can do as a community is point out how to deal with Bayo's extremely skewed risk/reward balance, by either finding characters that can reliably diminish her rewards (think Greninja and his shadow sneak), or augment her risks (aka who can reliably punish her basic combo starters and how ?).

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
She's just going to get better and better as time goes on until there's just no reason to play anyone outside of the top 10 because they just get beat by Bayo, who everyone will be playing at that point.
I don't get why people assume a character is going to get better over time. Usually when a new character is introduced they'll either A) Get better because people will discover ways to realize their potential B) Get worse because people will figure out the best way to deal with their threats, or C) Stay pretty much the same. We have no way of knowing how a character will progress until time has passed.

However, what I don't understand is that a lot of Bayonetta haters claim that she is both very easy to learn, and is going to get a lot better. If she's easy, you would think people would realize her potential very quickly, unlike a character like Ryu for instance who is still possibly improving due to his high learning curve. Thus, I would think that Bayonetta isn't going to improve much but only time will tell.

Last edited:

Xpwnage123

Smash Cadet
PLEASE USE THE "EDIT" BUTTON TO AVOID POSTING TWICE IN A ROW
In the meantime what we can do as a community is point out how to deal with Bayo's extremely skewed risk/reward balance, by either finding characters that can reliably diminish her rewards (think Greninja and his shadow sneak), or augment her risks (aka who can reliably punish her basic combo starters and how ?).
Yes, Greninja can escape pretty easily with a shadow sneak. Game and Watch can also insta-kill her during afterburner kick with an up-b. Diddy and ROB can disrupt the ABK with their items. Rosa has luma to help her escape combos, and can punish with an uair.
Also, somewhat unrelated but Pikachu is also a hard match up that I think is in Pika's favor. Long story short, she's beatable and might even have some bad match ups.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I do think the increased landing lag is key to beating her. She has a lot of lag there, more than enough for a Smash attack (but watch out for aerials and Witch Time).

Also..... Xpwnage123, you just double posted. Use edited the fuse your comments and report your own second post. At least that is how I fixed my double post xP

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Sonic also makes Witch Time a liability due to the nature of his many multi hit moves, and his great grab game works against her. He's probably not going to be able to reliably challenge Bayonetta's recovery and will have problems landing but Sonic fills a nice niche as far as a reasonable matchup goes.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The most disturbing thing to me is the different treatent this character is recieving in compairsion to others. She has results in jpan but a top 15 wordlwide player is using her and arguably another elite player i using her as well. Cloud came out and did very well as well this was never ven discussed. i really think this hate stems from the ballot many people still just flat hate this character and her inclusion.
I watched xanadu last nght and average joe adapted over one tournament to bayonetta with DK. he lost one game, then barely won, and the last two bayonetta players he faced he annihilated. ending one math in under 2:30 second with dk grabs. if this character isn't provent o be unbeatable or even control matches she shouldn't even be considered for a ban. metaknight was infinitely better and the community still permanently removed him. at the very least we know considering a ban is ridiculous and frankly will make a lot of players not want to be part of this community (i know i wont.) players like aerolink who already lost thier main once (custom palutena), salem who never enjoyed smash 4 without her, or pink fresh who placings were sealed by lucas probably wont even want this anymore.
alienating an entire playerbase won't end well.
and i'm sick of the argument "she isnt fun to play against" really so is sonic, shiek, diddy, rosa, villager, gunner, toon link, and lord uptilt all gonna be attack in the same way? serious question.

Zult

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zultie
No, it's more like arresting someone for having many ties to ISIS and finding some evidence for a plan. We know Bayonetta is broken, we've seen evidence multiple times. Her neutral is very, very hard to punish, she has almost guaranteed 0 to deaths, witch time, a very good recovery.. how is she balanced at all? Once Bayonetta was figured out, I lost most of my motivation to play at a high level. I don't want to play against something like that, it's not fun. And that's what makes a character toxic.

So what if she has no results? She's been out for 5% of the game's lifespan. There have been less tournaments, and much less lab time. She's just going to get better and better as time goes on until there's just no reason to play anyone outside of the top 10 because they just get beat by Bayo, who everyone will be playing at that point.
Almost. Guaranteed. Uh... That means it's not guaranteed then if you're going to add "almost".

Also, Bayonetta has zero guaranteed 0 to deaths. Yes, zero. If you die from 0 you most likely were caught off guard with bad DI. I saw the sets with Greward on twitch. I really hope he isn't your best player. He needs to work on his DI and learn the match up because he was playing it awfully.

And I find it funny how this community a few months ago praised the idea of adapting and not needing nerfs. Then when push comes to shove it's all "wait for the nerf" or "wait until she gets nerfed hard". She might get nerfed, but you guys are kidding yourselves and basically praying for her to get hard nerfed. The only two characters in this game to get nerfed to the point where they dropped 1-2 tiers were Luigi and Metaknight. Both of them had consistent kill confirms and their character revolved around those said kill confirms. Luigi getting kills at 80 from grabs and Metaknight getting kills at 20 from dash attacks and other set ups. That was their whole game plan and since those were nerfed, they dropped heavily. Meanwhile Sheik, Diddy, ZSS, Rosa all remain top tier despite numerous patches and Bayonetta will too. And you guys will still be complaining. Nothing will change. If you take away Bayonetta's 0 to death set ups... ok... so what? Against a player that knows anything about the MU you won't be getting those 0 to deaths. You guys will just find something else to complain about like witch time (which was already nerfed). Or whatever else you guys come up with. The point I'm trying to make is that if you nerf her "guaranteed" 0 to deaths then she'll still be good. She'll still be top tier. If they nerf any of her special moves (side b (grounded), side b (air), up b, dive kick) frame data wise then they won't even be able to combo into each other anymore. Which Nintendo won't do because she was advertised as a combo character and the last thing they want to do is make it so that she doesn't combo. Which also happens to be what everyone is complaining about. People are mad that she combos. Lol. This "wait for her to get nerfed hard" is completely and utterly idiotic.

I wouldn't hope for nerfs to her combo ability. They'll most likely stay the same. If she does get nerfed (again), it might just be for witch time or something pointless like weight. She gets nothing from grabs and her forward throw doesn't kill reliably until like 150% or higher. So go ahead Spain. Ban her and ban everything you also think as not "fun". That's definitely the competitive mindset, huh. Let's all play with smash balls on because they are "fun" and allow for awesome comebacks.

Edit: And that poll Spain took is the definition of bias. Rule #1: Don't let the scrub majority decide the rules.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
So go ahead Spain. Ban her and ban everything you also think as not "fun". That's definitely the competitive mindset, huh.
Sorry, but I already linked that Spain claiming Bayo ban were actually not official.
Check my post above :3

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Yes, Greninja can escape pretty easily with a shadow sneak. Game and Watch can also insta-kill her during afterburner kick with an up-b. Diddy and ROB can disrupt the ABK with their items. Rosa has luma to help her escape combos, and can punish with an uair.
Also, somewhat unrelated but Pikachu is also a hard match up that I think is in Pika's favor. Long story short, she's beatable and might even have some bad match ups.
Playing as Pikachu against Bayonetta really limits your combo potential because Bayonetta can Witch Time in between your Utilts and Uairs. This usually results in having to opt for very safe, very short combos (which don't actually deal all that much). Luckily Fair and Nair will clank with Bayonetta's Fsmash if you do happen to get Witch Timed.

I don't really think Bayonetta has any terrible matchups, but that some characters feel like less of an up hill struggle when you're playing against a Bayonetta. That being said I do dislike that a lot of her weaknesses don't actually make themselves that glaringly apparent (E.G her start and ending lag is supposed to be long but it doesn't really matter because you've been pushed too far away to punish). I think we need more time to see whether players will adapt and Bayonetta's broken-ness becomes an "On Paper" type of thing or whether her usage and results become too dominating and overcentralising to prevent the metagame from moving forward.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Playing as Pikachu against Bayonetta really limits your combo potential because Bayonetta can Witch Time in between your Utilts and Uairs. This usually results in having to opt for very safe, very short combos (which don't actually deal all that much). Luckily Fair and Nair will clank with Bayonetta's Fsmash if you do happen to get Witch Timed.

I don't really think Bayonetta has any terrible matchups, but that some characters feel like less of an up hill struggle when you're playing against a Bayonetta. That being said I do dislike that a lot of her weaknesses don't actually make themselves that glaringly apparent (E.G her start and ending lag is supposed to be long but it doesn't really matter because you've been pushed too far away to punish). I think we need more time to see whether players will adapt and Bayonetta's broken-ness becomes an "On Paper" type of thing or whether her usage and results become too dominating and overcentralising to prevent the metagame from moving forward.
Some benefits Pikachu has is that he is small and immune to Bullet Climax. Thunder Jolt is pretty good for camping and might force a aerial special which will give you time to punish when she lands.
Quick attack MIGHT be good against Witch Time since you can either double back to hit her or move to a safer spot....... assuming quick attack is quick enough, IDK.
Dsmash multi hits and can punish Witch Time if they try land with it.
Pikachu has a frame 2 air dodge, this greatly help survive against combos.

Everything here is just on paper. Maybe I am full of it, lol. But I am positive that we can deal with Bayonetta, once we start going deeper.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Some benefits Pikachu has is that he is small and immune to Bullet Climax. Thunder Jolt is pretty good for camping and might force a aerial special which will give you time to punish when she lands.
Quick attack MIGHT be good against Witch Time since you can either double back to hit her or move to a safer spot....... assuming quick attack is quick enough, IDK.
Dsmash multi hits and can punish Witch Time if they try land with it.
Pikachu has a frame 2 air dodge, this greatly help survive against combos.

Everything here is just on paper. Maybe I am full of it, lol. But I am positive that we can deal with Bayonetta, once we start going deeper.
Sorry to nit pick but no multi hit moves can reliably punish WT. The bayo player always has time to do something before another hitbox comes out.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
and i'm sick of the argument "she isnt fun to play against" really so is sonic, shiek, diddy, rosa, villager, gunner, toon link, and lord uptilt all gonna be attack in the same way? serious question.
The biggest difference here is probably Bayonetta's late addition. Had Rosalina been the final DLC character and taken a place up in S immediately, we may have seen talking of banning her as well.
Also, Bayonetta has zero guaranteed 0 to deaths. Yes, zero. If you die from 0 you most likely were caught off guard with bad DI. I saw the sets with Greward on twitch. I really hope he isn't your best player. He needs to work on his DI and learn the match up because he was playing it awfully.
This is what bothers me the most. I've seen tons of videos on how to avoid death combos and SDI out of witch twist and DI her combo starters and yet i still see tons of complaints about her getting easy death combos. That's not even taking into account character specific ways to invalidate ladder combos or even kill bayonetta mid combo.

Fenor

Smash Rookie
This is what bothers me the most. I've seen tons of videos on how to avoid death combos and SDI out of witch twist and DI her combo starters and yet i still see tons of complaints about her getting easy death combos. That's not even taking into account character specific ways to invalidate ladder combos or even kill bayonetta mid combo.
That's easy to explain. the vocal part of the community that want her banned are not players. it's usually people on reddit that don't even shot up at locals whining all day. the problem is when we listen to those people

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I am positive that we can deal with Bayonetta, once we start going deeper.
Agreed. This is why everyone in this thread needs to just relax. If we really believe that Bayonetta can be taken down, let others figure that out. The outspoken rage and insults are just wholly unnecessary. People act like some community existing that prefers FFA + items is going to somehow bring down the empire of competitive Sm4sh. If Spain feels that banning Bayonetta is better for its community, so be it. The rest of us can just work on demonstrating viable counters/responses. Assuming we're right, they'll come around.

Greward

Smash Lord

Since the damn beginning I've said we're discussing the ban, and presenting the collective reasons why we believe she has to be banned.
I never confirmed that she was officially banned in all Spain. Still the votes are around 70-75% for it and 7% against so it's likely to happen.
People assumed she was already banned when i twitted abadango asking his opinion on bayonetta and **** blew up.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
The most disturbing thing to me is the different treatent this character is recieving in compairsion to others. She has results in jpan but a top 15 wordlwide player is using her and arguably another elite player i using her as well. Cloud came out and did very well as well this was never ven discussed. i really think this hate stems from the ballot many people still just flat hate this character and her inclusion.
Wrong, it's because the character is so different and so impactful from what we've been playing for 1.5 years that she is forcing a meta shift as she redefines which characters are tournament viable and which aren't. Nobody likes meta shifts when the game has been out for so long. Also people like to complain, welcome to the internet.
I watched xanadu last nght and average joe adapted over one tournament to bayonetta with DK. he lost one game, then barely won, and the last two bayonetta players he faced he annihilated. ending one math in under 2:30 second with dk grabs. if this character isn't provent o be unbeatable or even control matches she shouldn't even be considered for a ban.
So when someone loses to Bayo he needs to adapt and play better, but when someone wins against Bayo it's a proof that she isn't broken ? That's the most biased analysis of a tournament I've ever seen. And I've been reading the competitive impressions thread.
metaknight was infinitely better and the community still permanently removed him. at the very least we know considering a ban is ridiculous and frankly will make a lot of players not want to be part of this community (i know i wont.) players like aerolink who already lost thier main once (custom palutena), salem who never enjoyed smash 4 without her, or pink fresh who placings were sealed by lucas probably wont even want this anymore.
Don't forget that 1-the MK ban only lasted a year and was only operative in the US, 2-MK was a totally different case that worked on a completely different paradigm (if anything Brawl MK would be more similar to smash 4 Sheik) so stop talking about what you don't know and 3- part of the playerbase will get alienated no matter the decision.
Well then stop responding to it and try responding to the arguments that make sense, like "her risk/reward is completely overwhelming" or "she can easily circumvent her supposed weak points".
Hum about the item part, do you mean that Rob/Diddy can drop their item during the combo to interrupt it ? And about Rosa is the Luma interrupt reliable ?

Last edited:

Red Stache

Smash Cadet
Banning Bayonetta will not solve anything.

All it will do is cause more problems, as not all tournaments will ban her.
So you will have like... Pound ban her and maybe EVO not ban her, so then what do you do? No one can effectively enforce a ban on a character or rule.

Spain can do whatever they want, but if they ban Bayonetta, all I can say is that is a poor decision.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I like the arresting Bayonetta analogy.

Imagine Smash isn't a fighting game. Imagine it's a place, where characters are invited to relax and have fun. Sakurai invites all sorts of people, like Mario, and Link, and Sonic, and etc. Sakurai says, "I'm going to invite another person to Smash!". He decides to invite Mewtwo and Lucas, who left after Melee. This goes on in all the DLC. However, upon Bayonetta's arrival, Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena are visibly upset that Bayonetta is here. After all, in her own game, she does kill angels. Bayonetta has no issues with Palutena and the Pits; they're different types of angels than the one she hunts. This anxiety with Bayonetta spreads throughout the characters. They really do not like her, and thus, they want her arrested, like they did with Meta Knight after he successfully kicked out everyone else and made them live on the streets. Note that she has done nothing warranting an arrest, as they cannot be arrested for actions made within their own game. But all the characters are very stubborn on arresting Bayonetta, because "we need to stop her before she kills Palutena and the Pits." Now, I don't know about you, but as of now we don't have any proof she has done anything warranting her arrest/banning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom