• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Here's to hoping for an egg type rotation gimmick. :2gud:
That's pretty much the one thing I'm asking for out of their moveset; that they utilzie the different Egg varieties from Tooie. I'm hoping the Grenade Egg in the trailer is indicative of this.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Here's to hoping for an egg type rotation gimmick. :2gud:
I'm hoping for that too, which is unfortunate because I'm sure it's not happening. It seems like the announcement trailers do a good job of showing off the main gimmicks--they're only fleshed out more in the individual presentations. I would think, if there was an egg rotation, they would have shown something to that effect. As it is, I think different egg types will be different moves, which is fine, but unfortunately blue and grenade eggs may be it. Hope I'm wrong, but it's hard not to expect that, given they've drawn for everything. I think Red Feathers should be incorporated (giving 5 small jumps) along with Gold Feathers, and every egg type. Those along with the moves we've already seen is perfect. EDIT: Also, please no random eggs... I'd like to control which egg type I'm using.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I had some art I made accepted on Rare's fan shop. Couldn't be more excited about it! :kirby:
Awesome design and I just bought one!

How are we feeling about the bear and bird arriving before September ends? Feeling pretty good about it myself.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm hoping for that too, which is unfortunate because I'm sure it's not happening. It seems like the announcement trailers do a good job of showing off the main gimmicks--they're only fleshed out more in the individual presentations. I would think, if there was an egg rotation, they would have shown something to that effect. As it is, I think different egg types will be different moves, which is fine, but unfortunately blue and grenade eggs may be it. Hope I'm wrong, but it's hard not to expect that, given they've drawn for everything. I think Red Feathers should be incorporated (giving 5 small jumps) along with Gold Feathers, and every egg type. Those along with the moves we've already seen is perfect. EDIT: Also, please no random eggs... I'd like to control which egg type I'm using.
You say that, but we had no idea that Hero's command list was only on a single move and were always random from his reveal trailer either.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Yeah I won't lie, I'll be disappointed if we can't have all the special eggs in Smash. It'd be super strange having only Blue and Grenade eggs.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I remember having mentioned something about the implementation of an egg-type rotation gimmick for Banjo & Kazooie by setting it to Guard + B, but someone had pointed out that it could conflict with air dodge commands. Thinking on it now, one way that issue could be address is that the egg-rotation be executable only while grounded. Inklings can only refill their ink using a similar command input, and it can only be done while they're grounded. :nifty:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Should one of their taunts have them pull out their instruments?
I certainly hope so! Especially considering these points:
Since their splash screen and picture on the mural both have them with their instruments i think its fairly likely they will have an instrument taunt.
The series is so heavily focused on music to begin with, from the character names to the collectibles to the dynamic soundtrack. Not having a taunt involving the banjo and the kazoo would be a bit of a missed opportunity. I could see it as a victory screen instead/too. It's not a huge loss if the third, unseen taunt is something different, but it would be awesome to bust out the gear after a KO.

As others have mentioned, I also hope one of the victory screens is the classic sunglasses and drinks pose.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
So, was just thinking, what is the first thing everyone is gonna do with Banjo & Kazooie once they're out and in our possessions? More than likely I'm going to start off with them in a simple 1 v 1 match with Mario on Battlefield just to see how they feel, then I'm probably gonna start up a new World of Light mode and just use them the whole time through it! The Smash characters are in desperate need of help and its up to the long lost bear and bird duo to rescue them from oblivion! Also planning on doing a Squad Strike match with Mario (64), Mewtwo (Melee), King Dedede (Brawl), either Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, or Pac-Man (Sm4sh), and Banjo & Kazooie (Ultimate) representing my favorite characters from each iteration of Smash!

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, was just thinking, what is the first thing everyone is gonna do with Banjo & Kazooie once they're out and in our possessions? More than likely I'm going to start off with them in a simple 1 v 1 match with Mario on Battlefield just to see how they feel, then I'm probably gonna start up a new World of Light mode and just use them the whole time through it! The Smash characters are in desperate need of help and its up to the long lost bear and bird duo to rescue them from oblivion!
Same as I did with every DLC character since Smash 4:

Training mode on their home stage -> Play a few matches against CPU -> Classic Mode -> Spirit Battles (Ultimate only, obviously) -> Anything else

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Assuming my friends will be up to doing the same, I'll wait for everyone to get the update (please eShop don't crash), go through My Music for Spiral Mountain as fast as I can, and then we'll do Banjo-Kazooie FFAs/do co-op and tackle the DLC Spirit Board mode together.

I'll likely do Classic/training mode stuff, and start a new game+ WoL playthrough on my own, unless the update introduces co-op for that too.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So, was just thinking, what is the first thing everyone is gonna do with Banjo & Kazooie once they're out and in our possessions? More than likely I'm going to start off with them in a simple 1 v 1 match with Mario on Battlefield just to see how they feel, then I'm probably gonna start up a new World of Light mode and just use them the whole time through it! The Smash characters are in desperate need of help and its up to the long lost bear and bird duo to rescue them from oblivion!
f7907cdd-935b-41b9-a21f-74e79ef78456.jpg

(My Top 4 Favorite Nintendo/Video Game Franchises of All Time)

This box will tell you the 1st match up that I'm going to do, 1st in Final Destination and then Spiral Mountain, and few other stages revolving around these 4 franchises and make time for the N64 stages too.

Then of course I'm going to do Banjo-Kazooie vs Donkey Kong vs Diddy Kong vs King K.Rool also in Final Destination then Spiral Mountain and all 3 Donkey Kong Country stages.

Go through their Classic mode.

Listen to their music and hopefully it's a good and long playlist.

Will hit training for a while to try and get a feel for them and once I'm ready I will battle online in Elite Smash.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Same thing I generally do with the DLC Fighters: turn the CPU level down to 3 so I can get a good feel for their moves without getting my ass kicked and go to Omega Spiral Mountain as the stage.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I will probably go to my friends place and have a 5-6 player banjo ho-down. We also will be looking for the killer combo, so we can dub it the "Nut and Bolt". We did this with K. Rool on launch day and dubbed his infamous down throw to down smash the "Crock ****", so its fitting Banjo gets one too. If were all busy though Ill probably just chill with my brother and do some 1v1s.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
My Banjo Wishlist:
- We get all the egg types (Clockwork Kazooie could work like Bowser Jr's robos)
- Their grab isn't a boring ol grab (give them either the wrench as a grapple or TaxiPack so they can carry like DK)
- We get a dragon kazooie alt skin
- If they win, they get a jiggy/slidewhistle transition to their victory screen
- they're not OP as **** and arent projectile spammers like Belmonts

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
The first thing I did after unlocking Ridley was a match against a level 1 CPU in Brinstar Depths, with the first minute entirely devoted to let the fact that I was playing as him sink in. I guess I'll do the same with Banjo, in Spiral Mountain of course. Then after a couple of matches I'll do the classic mode.
When Hero came out I jumped straight into 5.0 difficulty classic mode and it was kinda rough lol, so with Banjo I'll take my time a little bit more. In any case I think I'll do mainly single player for about a week or so.

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
Kazooie can fit her whole body into the backpack with a kazillion amount of other stuff and not complain.

I think Banjo stole from Mary Poppins or something.
Yeah Banjo's backpack is made of the same fabric as Doraemon's pocket it seems.

So, was just thinking, what is the first thing everyone is gonna do with Banjo & Kazooie once they're out and in our possessions? More than likely I'm going to start off with them in a simple 1 v 1 match with Mario on Battlefield just to see how they feel, then I'm probably gonna start up a new World of Light mode and just use them the whole time through it! The Smash characters are in desperate need of help and its up to the long lost bear and bird duo to rescue them from oblivion! Also planning on doing a Squad Strike match with Mario (64), Mewtwo (Melee), King Dedede (Brawl), either Villager, Mega Man, Little Mac, or Pac-Man (Sm4sh), and Banjo & Kazooie (Ultimate) representing my favorite characters from each iteration of Smash!
I'll probably just go to training mode to get the feel of the character, play around with the camera, zoom in, notice some details, etc, I also like to do the spirit board right away. And i'll probably do some BK+Greninja photos since they're my favorite VG characters ever so i'd like to get them together for some pics/videos

Voe

Smash Journeyman
My Banjo Wishlist:
- We get all the egg types (Clockwork Kazooie could work like Bowser Jr's robos)
- Their grab isn't a boring ol grab (give them either the wrench as a grapple or TaxiPack so they can carry like DK)
THEEEESE. I want this to happen so badly for their moveset. It would just be a huge missed opportunity if the duo didn't have as much moves from their source material as possible. :ultganondorf:

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Since their splash screen and picture on the mural both have them with their instruments i think its fairly likely they will have an instrument taunt.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're not, though. If they're taking cues from the original games, they have their instruments in promotional art and in their introduction, but rarely if ever use them outside of that. So I can see them doing the same for their Smash appearance, and use more in-game stuff for their taunts/idle animations.

EDIT:

Play on every Smash 64 stage with Smash 64 characters--make it feel like I'm playing in the game they should have been in had it worked out logistically.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Play on every Smash 64 stage with Smash 64 characters--make it feel like I'm playing in the game they should have been in had it worked out logistically.
That got me thinking: imagine if someone modded Smash 64 to adapt Banjo and Kazooie into the game with the moveset they use in-game. They could even reuse Banjo’s N64 mode for it too!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That got me thinking: imagine if someone modded Smash 64 to adapt Banjo and Kazooie into the game with the moveset they use in-game. They could even reuse Banjo’s N64 mode for it too!
I always wondered why nobody had modded Banjo & Kazooie into Smash 64 before. I know it's insanely difficult, but at least on paper, you have an N64 model, and their moves nicely align to them being in Smash, outside of the 2D aspect. I've also seen some mods of putting some of their stages in, like Clanker's Cavern that looked really good.

It's a weird world where Banjo & Kazooie got in officially before... really any appearance in fan games. I'm fine with that, though--that's the dream come true.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I've already seen 2 Banjo-Kazooie stages modded for Smash 64. With the way Smash 64's modding scene is going I believe it'll be possible to have a fleshed out moveset for the bear and bird in the future (just not near future). Making Banjo-Kazooie a Link clone in Smash 64 is probably possible right now. It's a rather bizarre choice to willingly make Banjo a Link clone, but you could replace his sword with Kazooie's body (the Master Sword's sound effects could be Kazooie's voice), the bombs with the Grenade Eggs, and the Boomerang with...I don't know lol. A Jiggy piece? I also don't know what Link's shield and tether grab could be replaced with.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I loved playing the "Class of '64" event over the weekend which featured only the original 12 from the Super Smash Bros on the N64 and seeing that roster took me back when I was 6 years old in 1999 and the only characters I recognized and knew at the time were Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Pikachu, Hell for a while I though Kirby was a Pokemon for some reason.

Even though Banjo-Kazooie are about to make their long awaited debut, It's still kind of feels like they were missing from that class because of their system of origin.

Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros on the N64, This is how I figure what they may have looked like.
d6s3cyn-69702e27-aea4-4222-a683-6f7c917f290d.jpg

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
The first thing I will do when I get Banjo & Kazooie is to get a feel for them in training mode. And then I will play a few matches against Level 9 CPUs. Honestly, after playing against skilled players online, CPUs are basically a cake walk compared to them. Then I will move to Classic Mode and do that and finally the quest to get to Elite Smash with them.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
The first thing I will do when I get Banjo & Kazooie is to get a feel for them in training mode. And then I will play a few matches against Level 9 CPUs. Honestly, after playing against skilled players online, CPUs are basically a cake walk compared to them. Then I will move to Classic Mode and do that and finally the quest to get to Elite Smash with them.
For me, i will also try them on training first, after that i just simply use them in Classic Mode, Their Spirit Board, and World of Light.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I loved playing the "Class of '64" event over the weekend which featured only the original 12 from the Super Smash Bros on the N64 and seeing that roster took me back when I was 6 years old in 1999 and the only characters I recognized and knew at the time were Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Pikachu, Hell for a while I though Kirby was a Pokemon for some reason.

Even though Banjo-Kazooie are about to make their long awaited debut, It's still kind of feels like they were missing from that class because of their system of origin.

Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie in Super Smash Bros on the N64, This is how I figure what they may have looked like.View attachment 236081
I think the issue was that Smash 64 was being developed the same year Banjo-Kazooie was released, and so there wasn't logistically the time to include them in the original plan. As for Melee, Sakurai has said that they tried to get them as trophies, but the geographic hurdles of communicating with Rare prevented that--so being a full character, I suspect, would have been much more difficult. And I can understand those logistical issues, despite my feeling at the time, and in some ways to this day, that they would have fit perfectly in that original roster.

It's a shame I can't temporarily remove DLC characters--I would have loved to have restarted the game with only Banjo & Kazooie and the rest of the original 12 unlocked to have a similar moment to starting the game the first time with just the original 12. But I can accomplish something similar to that playing Smashdown.

Also, that looks awesome! Did you do that? Definitely how I would have pictured them in had those logistical issues not prevented their inclusion.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I mean, they couldn't even manage to get Diddy in as a trophy, it's a miracle that we even got some for Dixie and K. Rool in Melee. At least things have changed since then.
Wait, Diddy didn't get a trophy in Melee?

-checks-

Are they insane? How do you not have Diddy?

Honestly, did Nintendo have a grudge against Donkey Kong Country?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait, Diddy didn't get a trophy in Melee?

-checks-

Are they insane? How do you not have Diddy?

Honestly, did Nintendo have a grudge against Donkey Kong Country?
Settle down, the negotiations with Rare just got delayed and hairy, and they ran out of time. Besides, Melee was rushed as is since they only had two years of dev time for that to be ready in time for being the GC's killer app. *insert statement about Asian creators respectfully not wanting to mess around with other people's stuff for the millionth time here*

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Settle down, the negotiations with Rare just got delayed and hairy, and they ran out of time. Besides, Melee was rushed as is.
I SEE.

-ahem-

I mean, understandable. It was an odd time considering the Rare buyout. Things were out of people's hands. Seems to be a simple situation that is easy to understand maturely.

-Flips table-

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
Donkey Kong as a franchise has always been neglected by Smash Bros standards. I don't know why. Maybe Sakurai/the devs feel the franchise or its characters are unpopular, esp in Japan? Hell even in the Mario universe, DK characters haven't received much love either besides DK himself, but that's a given considering his iconic status. Nonetheless, Diddy and Dixie are just as important and they're still overlooked most of the time.

I mean, I love Star Fox and all, especially Falco, but Diddy is a much more recognizable sidekick than him yet the former got into Melee and Diddy didn't. Then we got Wolf in Brawl and we had to wait until last year to get another DK character! Felt unreal and unfair imo.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean, I love Star Fox and all, especially Falco, but Diddy is a much more recognizable sidekick than him yet the former got into Melee and Diddy didn't. Then we got Wolf in Brawl and we had to wait until last year to get another DK character! Felt unreal and unfair imo.
I think you're kind of overlooking the fact that Falco and Wolf were significantly easier to implement due to essentially being variations of Fox's moveset.

Like Falco just got into Melee because they wanted to include clone characters to pad out the roster near the tail end of development, like Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, and Roy. It's kind of silly to make it seem like it was either Falco or Diddy considering nobody would of been there if it wasn't for the former.

Likewise, the main reason Wolf got into Brawl while Krystal didn't was because he could use Fox's moveset as a base. Wolf was very clearly a low priority character that only just barely made it into Brawl, hence why his animations were janky and incomplete, and also stolen from other characters.

So really, Star Fox pretty much only has the characters it has in Smash due to luck and happenstance. The popularity of the characters helped their case, especially Wolf's (who was cited as being a popular Smash candidate), but Sakurai only bothered including them because they wouldn't eat too much development time, because neither characters required to be completely made from scratch. Obviously, such is not the case with Diddy or K. Rool.

Last edited:

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's true. That is something many people, including myself tend to forget; many characters got in due to situations like similiarities to base ones, promotion for new games, etc. I feel like older Smash/Nintendo fans like to claim the game is all about being iconic/popular enough to be in it, the "slots" argument, among other theories, and it's never been like that.

But still , it's undeniable that the DK franchise has been overlooked. My biggest gripe is the lack of musical diversity in Smash, they're like "ok let's do another Jungle Hijinx remix/Jungle stage and call it a day, no one will care anyway".

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
They definitely made an effort for the DK music selection in Ultimate.

Got another banging remix of Gangplank Galleon and some interesting deep cuts like Crocodile Cacophony, Snakey Chantey, and Simian Segue/Bonus Room Blitz, the latter of which technically existed as a weird SNES rip in Brawl...which Ultimate has more of with Funky's Fugue and Ice Cave Chant.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I bet Diddy wasn't in Melee because they figured, "if we have enough time we'll add him." Dixie and K Rool were always planned as trophies, but they didn't make one for Diddy in the off chance he made it as a Fighter he'd get trophies anyway

Also i feel DK had it well for a while. Melee got 2 new stages instead of just 1. And the N64 one retruned as well. Brawl got a new character with Diddy, some awesome music, and K Rool was on the table just too many other characters were in the way. Really Smash 4 was the only game where DK only got the bare minimum of a stage and some music. Even that bare minimum was actually quite a lot, just we've been spoiled as Smash fans to expect more and a lot of people were gutted K Rool didn't make it. I know people wanted some more obscure tracks remixed, but agian that's a Smash-wide problem where they only include what they consider Iconic. F-Zero having 4 Big Blue remixes is a similar odd occurance

Also DK64 outsold both Banjo games in Japan. Maybe it's not as popular as Nintendo wishes it was, but there are a lot of reasons why that is, and its entirely their fault for not marketing or using the series and its characters regularly and effectively. They spread each game so far apart people can't get attached to DK in large numbers. They don't use a proper marketable villain like K Rool, or anywhere near Mario's cast of dozens of side characters everyone gets attached too. They didn't use Dixie to bring in some girls until Tropical Freeze which released on the Wii-U, a zombie system. They don't put marketing effort into DK like they do Animal Crossing and Splatoon, probably because for 2D platformers they'd rather just market Mario, the Retro Studio's DK games are too hard in their eyes I would guess. They don't wanna water them down and release them annually, and just be left with another New Super Mario Brothers with monkeys that's less popular. Look how Yoshi became 100% for children after Yoshi's Island. I think DK is their last bastion of platformers with any actual difficulty, maybe they keep it that way knowing it won't be as popular but will satisty the niche of people who are experienced gamers. If they wanna make it more popular, they'd have to make them easier and release 1 every couple years, which would only drain the series soul eventually. We should be lucky the Retro series is as good as it is

Last edited:
Top Bottom