• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Did a moderator or a hacker edited my last post on this thread and turned the videos into links? I want a answer from a moderator, not ? because it leaves me to believe it could be a hacker.

So I guess it's safe to say we will be near 700 pages by the time we actually get the reveal haha
Just as I predicted lol.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It makes me wonder if Sora would have to be negotiated more than Erdrick.

Lemme see.

There is Square Enix, Tetsuya Nomura, Yoko Shimumura, and Disney of Japan. Wait, that is literally it. Holy crap.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I 100% agree with the guy that I posted about. My point was that if there are that many people to negotiate with (Especially in Square Enix's case where they don't bother to buy their music) then we'll probably end up getting two songs and no spirits except for the smash renders of Erdrick or Sora just like with Cloud and Midgar.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As for Crono v Erdrick, I think it's because Chrono Trigger is just more beloved here than Dragon Quest, honestly.
Personally I want both. Love both Chrono Trigger (the SNES game) and Dragon Quest series in general. :)

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Man I feel like I’m the only one around here that doesn’t have any sort of connection or want for either Joker and Erdrick :v

But more power to all of you I guess,
In regards to Erdrick, I'm with you there; I don't really care about Dragon Quest in general, and I care even less about Erdrick. Regarding Joker, I actually was pretty neutral on him when he was first shown off at the Game Awards due to not being familiar with his game. The big reason I got excited for him when his gameplay trailer released was because between his reveal and then, I had watched a playthrough of Persona 5 and loved the story.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If you've only played Nuts & Bolts, you haven't played Banjo. I'm as big a Banjo fan as can be and I couldn't tolerate more than thirty minutes of Nuts & Bolts. If at all possible, play the N64 games. If you're a fan of Mario 64 or Mario Odyssey at all, Banjo-Kazooie is like a good version of that.

Also (and I don't mean to pick on you here), can we agree to stop using "Not the most complex characters" as a criticism? For one thing, Banjo and Kazooie are a bit more three-dimensional than most platformer mascots, and for another, simplicity has its strengths. It's a choice; it's not merely a lack of complexity.

They're also very, very funny. Real ha-ha funny. Like when they argue over whether to tell Bottles's family about his death, and it's like...

Goggles: "Are the amaze-o-gaze specs working? If not, I'm sure daddy can fix them for you."
Kazooie: "Yeah, but can anyone fix daddy?"
Banjo: "Er, Kazooie means your mom is just fixing up his dinner."

Stuff like that makes me happy. Mario's never made me guffaw like that.
Sorry. I'm just more used to characters being needlessly-complex (based on the games I usually play). Unfortunately, I don't have much of a way to play the N64 games, so all I can do is take your word for it.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
What other characters in particular would result in M A X I M U M H Y P E for you, exactly?
For me, at this point, Banjo-Kazooie and Sora are the only characters that would get me super-hyped; after that, I wouldn't really care one way or another about anyone else getting in, because then my three most-wanted characters would be in.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Not been very active on here as of late but came back for the E3 season. Banjo is my 2nd most wanted character, first being Geno, but really I'd take any of these and be happy. Hoping for a "guh-huh" or two at E3. A Banjo Kazooie game would also be a dream come true but somehow I'm less confident in a game of their own than the fact they may be in Smash. I see them in Smash as being more likely.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Can people explain to me how the main character from Doom would be represented accurately in a kids game? The character literally fights demons from hell and uses a chainsaw. Sakurai likes to faithfully replicate as much as he can from the source material. Wouldn't the lack of blood and gore pretty much water down the entire character?

I don't think "Doom Guy", if that even is his name, is that wanted in Japan either.

Genuinely curious why people expect to see him in the DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
For me, at this point, Banjo-Kazooie and Sora are the only characters that would get me super-hyped; after that, I wouldn't really care one way or another about anyone else getting in, because then my three most-wanted characters would be in.
The only character left for me after Banjo & Kazooie that would get me as excited just as much as them, K. Rool, and Ridley would be Goemon. If you don't know who he is, he is the guy with the blue hair and the umbrella in my avatar.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Regarding Joker, I actually was pretty neutral on him when he was first shown off at the Game Awards due to not being familiar with his game. The big reason I got excited for him when his gameplay trailer released was because between his reveal and then, I had watched a playthrough of Persona 5 and loved the story.
What the hell?! That is exactly my opinion and what I did! I was neutral about his inclusion and then I watched a playthrough of Persona 5 and now I like him.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Can people explain to me how the main character from Doom would be represented accurately in a kids game? The character literally fights demons from hell and uses a chainsaw. Sakurai likes to faithfully replicate as much as he can from the source material. Wouldn't the lack of blood and gore pretty much water down the entire character?

I don't think "Doom Guy", if that even is his name, is that wanted in Japan either.

I think it's mostly because Bethesda are so devoted to the Switch at the moment. As for why Doomguy... well, it's either the demon-killer or the Nazi-killer, and not many people are fans of politics in video games.

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
What the hell?! That is exactly my opinion and what I did! I was neutral about his inclusion and then I watched a playthrough of Persona 5 and now I like him.
As a long-time Persona/Megami Tensei fan, Joker's reveal was pretty much nothing short of a fever dream. I think I might have channeled Etika or something.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

We literally have Bayonetta who’s whole thing is being as sexy as possible killing things. Snake snaps people’s necks.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Sorry. I'm just more used to characters being needlessly-complex (based on the games I usually play). Unfortunately, I don't have much of a way to play the N64 games, so all I can do is take your word for it.
Rare Replay? That has Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie with Stop & Swop (i.e. the thing where you collect special items in one game and use them in the other) fully implemented. Well worth your time.

I like Joker because I'm a huge fan of Persona 4 and Joker is tangentially related to that. Honestly, Chie from Persona 4 would be a crazy hype character for me (albeit not on the level of Banjo), but I realize how improbable that is.

I think it's mostly because Bethesda are so devoted to the Switch at the moment. As for why Doomguy... well, it's either the demon-killer or the Nazi-killer, and not many people are fans of politics in video games.
Aw, but killing Nazis isn't politics! It's our civic duty. Like separating our trash from our recyclables.

Given the choice between Doomguy and Wolfensteinguy, I'd pick Doomguy, though. If only because Doom was a mainstay of my nineties childhood, although I was never actually a fan.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Can people explain to me how the main character from Doom would be represented accurately in a kids game?
Remove blood. Problem solved.

The character literally fights demons from hell and uses a chainsaw. Sakurai likes to faithfully replicate as much as he can from the source material. Wouldn't the lack of blood and gore pretty much water down the entire character?
Nah. As long as he hits hard and plays fun, he's good.

That is true but Doom Guy is to Japan what Erdrick is to us.

I can offer a few reasons as to why he's qualified to be in Smash Ultimate.
1. Doom has been on Nintendo consoles since the SNES, Had an exclusive game in Doom 64, two GBA ports of Doom 1 and 2 and has Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal on the Nintendo Switch.
2. Doom revolutionised the First Person Shooter genre and in Super Smash Bros, that is a genre that is currently untapped (Metroid Prime doesn't count).
3. Joker proved that you can have guns in Super Smash Bros. Sure the guns he has aren't real but they shoot bullets like a real gun so Doom Guy having guns would be okay.
4. I don't know. Doom Guy is just pure western awesomeness!

Last edited:

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222

We have three characters hailing from M-rated games: Snake, Bayonetta, and Joker.

Here's a question for you: what traits, besides the blood and gore, is Doomguy, and overall the Doom series, known for? We know Sakurai wants to make characters feel as if we're playing that character or the game they're from.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
We literally have Bayonetta who’s whole thing is being as sexy as possible killing things. Snake snaps people’s necks.
Sexy as possible. Bayonetta is suggestive and flamboyant at best, her stripping got heavily watered down. Snake snapping peoples necks also isn’t too much compared to other characters like Ridley piercing with a spiked tail, all of snakes attacks are explosives.

I’m curious myself as to how doomguy could be envisioned in smash. An easy way would to just give him a lot of guns with lasers/blasters but it still doesn’t seem as faithful to his character. A lot harder to successfully incorporate than Bayonetta and Snake.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
About Doomguy, it's either him or Banjo, as I stated in the dlc speculation thread, I don't think we'll get more than 1 western character.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
T minus 5 days until we know one way or the other about the bear and bird's fate. Though there is the third option that they're in the game but not confirmed at E3, but I don't think I could handle another few months of this so I hope E3 confirms it one way or the other.

As far as other characters I'd be hyped for, Banjo is obviously the big one. If they get in, I'm done with speculation and character-requesting, at least until the next Smash game. However, there's been plenty of characters that have been deconfirmed (counting spirits as deconfirmation) that I would have liked to see, such as Shadow, Geno, Dixie Kong, and Waluigi. But those are sacrifices I gladly made for getting K. Rool and will gladly make again if Banjo gets in.

And as far as characters whose fates are still in limbo, I am partial to the other characters from Google theory (Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, Artorias from Dark Souls). Them plus Joker and Banjo is like a perfect Fighters Pass in my eyes. But again, give me Banjo and you could make the other three characters Steve, Sans, and Bubsy for all I care.

We have three characters hailing from M-rated games: Snake, Bayonetta, and Joker.

Here's a question for you: what traits, besides the blood and gore, is Doomguy, and overall the Doom series, known for? We know Sakurai wants to make characters feel as if we're playing that character or the game they're from.
I only played the 2016 game, but he has a large arsenal of guns and could lean towards the more explosive ones like Snake. Then again, Joker has a literal gun so who knows how things work at this point. I think a main "mechanic" of his could be weakening his opponents from afar to a certain point, where they become vulnerable to a special melee finisher for a lot of damage. Which is Doom 2016's combat in a nutshell.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Frankly the guy from Doom is a bit of a bandwagon character and was hardly mentioned before the fake 5chan leak. Where Bethesda is concerned he has stiff competition from the Skyrim guy as well.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It kinda looks like Sabi is backing Verge here? She seems to think that he isn't piggybacking and that his source is credible.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

ZelDan

Smash Master

I'm not a huge DOOM fan myself; I've only ever played the new one in 2016. What I know of that and vaguely know from the old games, Doomguy seems like a very angry, pissed off type. If they gave him an aggressive looking playstyle and animations I think that'd work.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Is this the start of a redemption arc?
I think Verge is staking his credibility on this one. If he's wrong, then I think that should kill whatever's left of his credibility as a leaker people can trust despite whatever backpedeling he'll pull.

Last edited:

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
I think Verge is staking his credibility on this one. If he's wrong, then I think that should kill whatever's left of his credibility as a leaker people can trust despite whatever backpedeling he'll pull.
Yeah, I said it before and I'll say it again: You can't come back from predicting two characters with at- or near-100% certainty and expect anyone to ever believe you again, no matter how much you rationalize it. Especially not when one of those character has been a fan-favorite pick for almost two decades.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
hey it's been a longtime guys :) i'm free from my exams, and now i'm on vacation so what did i miss?
This should just about cover everything going on in the past few days. This was compiled by MonkeyDLenny or at least posted by him.

Also this

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I said it before and I'll say it again: You can't come back from predicting two characters with at- or near-100% certainty and expect anyone to ever believe you again, no matter how much you rationalize it. Especially not when one of those character has been a fan-favorite pick for almost two decades.
You know he's going to backpedal hard if he's wrong on this. Toying with the fans of a heavily requested character is not going to sit well with many people, but I'm sure some people will find some excuse to believe him regardless.

It'll be the same with Shinobi as well. It'll be hard to trust him if he's wrong, especially after giving fans hope.

They're both putting their reputations on the line with this.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Man I feel like I’m the only one around here that doesn’t have any sort of connection or want for either Joker and Erdrick :v

But more power to all of you I guess,
I am completely with you. Erdrick is the definition of an anti-hype pick for me. I don’t think we’re alone in that either. But people will keep claiming he’s “for the East” even though he’s never come close to being top 10 on a most wanted newcomer poll in Japan lol

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Never played a Banjo game before in my life due to my lack of an N64 growing up, but I'm still wishing you guys the best in getting your character soon. :-P

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
The biggest reason I'm running with shinobi602's post is the fact that he's had 2 days to come forward and correct us on this if we've taken his post the wrong way like "no, I didn't mean it like that. Ya'll are crazy smash fans who jump onto anything! haha" or w/e but the dude has been hush ever since. I feel that someone with his status whose leaked (or hinted at) many other things in the past would come forward by now.

Edit: To clarify, I mean hush on the subject.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The biggest reason I'm running with shinobi602's post is the fact that he's had 2 days to come forward and correct us on this if we've taken his post the wrong way like "no, I didn't mean it like that. Ya'll are crazy smash fans who jump onto anything! haha" or w/e but the dude has been hush ever since. I feel that someone with his status whose leaked (or just hinted at) many other things in the past would come forward by now.
Good point. As I mentioned earlier, he's putting his reputation on the line here. He's had plenty of time to clarify if he's unsure or got incorrect information. I'm still keeping an eye on anything he says, but so far, we have little reason to doubt him.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
wellm as i said before i think teh time is ripe for a banjo revival... although i think just recently there is some sort of weight to banjo rumours in smash.

still i wonder.. will we be getting a banjo and toiie remaster like crahs and spyro? or a whole new game?
do you think we still be getting minecraft content (and making verge old prediction true?)

Yet i still think that edrick/DragonQuest timing and noise from official sources is pretty self explainatory.

My prediction, i guess i will be bold. Edrick reveal with a "avaiable after the direct" kinda date. and then the direct reveals teh third character is banjo within a couple of months, and then the trailer is used to reveal something else BK (that will be on switch and whatever microsoft wants to promote like windows 10)

TemporalShrew

Smash Journeyman
Good point. As I mentioned earlier, he's putting his reputation on the line here. He's had plenty of time to clarify if he's unsure or got incorrect information. I'm still keeping an eye on anything he says, but so far, we have little reason to doubt him.
The guy still has time to tweet dad jokes on the daily, so unless he's trolling - which would be absolutely insane, given his position - I think we can stick with the notion that, at worst, he was given a false tip.

Top Bottom