• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, I won't mind too much if Grunty is fought. At least she'd have a level of interaction beyond "cheering from the sides".

I think Violence is more acceptable than nudity is because violence can be made to be comical while sex appeal can't be done in that sense. With violence, you can make it as over the top as possible where it breaks the suspension of disbelief or you can make it so it doesn't show decapitation.
On the upside, boobs can be big enough and people won't mind (although Samus' size got shrunk a bit for fitness reasons, oddly enough). What we don't know about is the limit on cleavage exposure. Spirits-wise, Mythra couldn't get away with it, but Shantae characters that have it as part of their identity do.

Although the censors are bleeding weird about what isn't okay on which character's design. Some thighs are censored, others aren't, and Samus gets to have an alt that shows off her legs. It's all a mess.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I know I said I would be fine if smash ultimate was Banjo and Kazooie final appearing on the video game scene, but man... doing absolutely nothing with the series in this time frame specifically, it would be one of the dumbest moves that the current rareware could ever make.
The hype around banjo right now is insane, what with his announcement video being second only to the everyone is here video. 3D Platformers seem to be having a bit of a resurgence, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon are enjoying a lot of success with their remasters.
I know rareware has expressed disinterest repeatedly on revisiting banjo. I would hope they have changed their tone after seeing the reactions to banjo & his miraculous comeback. If they see all this and decide that Banjo is still not worth doing anything with, then I just don't know man. Rare we're actively hates money.
Although if they're only just now thinking banjo might be worth revisiting, well, pretty dumb of them not to do it sooner, because right now would have been the time to strike. The height for banjo is just so strong, a lot of people who didn't grow up with banjo are going to want to know what the appeal is. And not all of those people are going to buy an Xbox One to find out.
I think there's still a chance that remasters, or ports, or even a new game could be announced in the fall to go with banjos Smash Bros. But I do have a feeling rare is just going to let this opportunity slip past them. I will, like I said before, I'm good with that if they do. Again, I feel like smash is the best closure I can get for that bear and bird.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know I said I would be fine if smash ultimate was Banjo and Kazooie final appearing on the video game scene, but man... doing absolutely nothing with the series in this time frame specifically, it would be one of the dumbest moves that the current rareware could ever make.
The hype around banjo right now is insane, what with his announcement video being second only to the everyone is here video. 3D Platformers seem to be having a bit of a resurgence, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon are enjoying a lot of success with their remasters.
I know rareware has expressed disinterest repeatedly on revisiting banjo. I would hope they have changed their tone after seeing the reactions to banjo & his miraculous comeback. If they see all this and decide that Vangelis still not worth doing anything with, then I just don't know man. Rare we're actively hates money.
Although if they're only just now thinking banjo might be worth revisiting, well, pretty dumb of them not to do it sooner, because right now would have been the time to strike. The height for banjo is just so strong, a lot of people who didn't grow up with banjo are going to want to know what the appeal is. And not all of those people are going to buy an Xbox One to find out.
I think there's still a chance that remasters, or ports, or even a new game could be announced in the fall to go with banjos Smash Bros. But I do have a feeling rare is just going to let this opportunity slip past them. I will, like I said before, I'm good with that if they do. Again, I feel like smash is the best closure I can get for that bear and bird.
To put things in perspective, even Earthworm Jim is getting a revival, and that seemed like a pipe dream. And I don't need to tell you about a certain furry mascot that tends to tempts fate.

At this stage, I can only see a proven indie studio deciding to take a crack at bringing back the duo for new games and go up to Rare about it. Just look at Dot Emu, they actually get to do a new Streets of Rage!

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
This video hasn't aged well.

I'm not making this comment to chastise the makers, in fact I haven't seen it yet and I'm about to, but it is still kind of funny to see things like this in retrospective.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Man, I always knew Banjo’s chances were criminally underestimated.

It’s so satisfying to see everyone’s whole career coming to an end lol.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Man, I always knew Banjo’s chances were criminally underestimated.

It’s so satisfying to see everyone’s whole career coming to an end lol.
Let's not downplay just what a miracle this is. I think banjos chances were pretty fairly rated. It's just that a lot of people put a lot of time and work into making this dream come true despite how impossible it seemed.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I know rareware has expressed disinterest repeatedly on revisiting banjo. I would hope they have changed their tone after seeing the reactions to banjo & his miraculous comeback. If they see all this and decide that Banjo is still not worth doing anything with, then I just don't know man. Rare we're actively hates money.
It's a shame really. Banjo Kazooie is the one series that Microsoft has that is fondly remembered in Japan and if the series was carried on with the Banjo Kazooie/Tooie formula, the Xbox could have actually got it's foot in the door in Japan.

Unfortunately, Rare or more specifically Gregg Mayles don't seem to be interested in capitalising on the success that the series had. It's fine that they're trying to do new things but they kind of suck at doing that when you look at Sea of Thieves. They don't seem to be trying to innovate because it's fun, they just seem to innovate just for the sake of "doing what only Rare would do".

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's not downplay just what a miracle this is. I think banjos chances were pretty fairly rated. It's just that a lot of people put a lot of time and work into making this dream come true despite how impossible it seemed.
Same for K. Rool. All these years of increasing supporter numbers, dedication and pushing for attention have made it all worthwhile. The ballot was the perfect alignment of stars to make sure all those voices would be heard easier.

Also, it still amuses me how BK and Joker were practically at opposite ends of this reddit poll, and they both got in:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't consider Banjo a possibility until K. Rool got in. It showed me that Sakurai was serious about addressing fan demand, even with "dead" characters.

The thing with Banjo is that while his franchise was dead, the original Banjo-Kazooie was seen as a prestige title for the N64. Nintendo hyped the hell out of it, putting on a huge show for E3 1997, and generally speaking considered Banjo "one of the boys" during that era alongside Mario and Link. It sold more than any Mega Man, Castlevania, or Persona title. And Tooie hit a million units as well despite being a late game in the system's life.

I just think it isn't as simple as "series is dead, they can't get in," or now "Banjo got in meaning anyone can get in." Series like Banjo are very clearly meaningful to both people who work in the industry and general consumers, despite not having a game in the mainstream since 2000. Banjo still gets merchandise and gets promoted by Microsoft in advertisements and brand stuff. And I figured Nintendo and Microsoft would both be more than happy to capitalize off the easy PR of "bringing Banjo home." The Switch has been doing many things to please the core Nintendo fanbase, and Smash Ultimate is one of the biggest examples of that.

Even as someone who was pretty critical of Sakurai during the Smash 4 era, I have to admit Ultimate proved all my doubts wrong. I'm so happy he went ahead to make the next Smash and addressed so many fan requests while also continuing to put his own spin on the series and surprising us yet. He could have easily just ignored the ballot for this game, considered Bayonetta the "winner," and do whatever he wanted, but he listened to feedback and did, in his own words, "what players want." Smash wouldn't be half the franchise it is without him.

Name a more iconic duo:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, the main thing to keep in mind, in my opinion, is that a third-party character's IP needs to have left a good enough impression on people in the past, so that their Smash chances can be considered. That's at least one part of the criteria needed to get in (one of the others being something unique to bring to the table, although echoes are fair exceptions to the rule if they're justifiable enough).

Whether it's in the West, East, Down Under, it doesn't matter. Not just any up-and-coming rising stars are guaranteed to get in.

As far as seemingly inactive IPs go, Simon and Richter's inclusion was fortuitous timing enough as it was in regards to Konami planning collections for Castlevania afterwards, but BK is easily the bigger deal, since they just have merchandise coming for the time being.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
so what is your opinon on Smash4's custom equipment VS SmashUltimate's Spirites ?

I prefer custome equipment as they felt like they had more things they could do & you could really get spacific with how you cutimized the character

spirites are all more or less do the same thing over & over again & you don't have as much control over Speed power defence waight like with custom equipment had

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
It's been a week...how you fellas holdin' up?

I keep watching the ****ing trailer almost every day. I'm so desperate to try the bear and bird out already so I can make them my main.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I keep watching the ****ing trailer almost every day. I'm so desperate to try the bear and bird out already so I can make them my main.
Just chilling. Currently more concerned as to when Hero drops, actually.

In the meantime, I check fan art on Twitter.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

Banjo Kazooie reaction videos keep popping up in my YouTube feed, normally I ignore YouTube fads like that, but I've been suckered in by almost every new reaction video and compilation I come across. it gives me an excuse to watch the trailer again, and it's just so of indicating seeing so many people excited for a character that so many people dismissed as irrelevant, dead, Etc.

ze9

Smash Ace
Oof, stage bosses are pretty rough. I would honestly rather have her do nothing than constantly interfere with the flow of battle, as bosses do, and cause me to consider Spiral Mountain a "hazards off only" stage. :/
Agree. But it'd be kinda sad to have Grunty just fly there without doing anything meaningful.
I was thinking something really simple, like Grunty throwing a couple of very slow spells from above. Something about as obtrusive as the cannon and the mechanical arm in the Halberd, except she can be KO'ed.
Gruntilda's guidance would be way better, though.

Custom moves were a poorly implemented, poorly designed and poorly balanced trainwreck and the game is better off without them.
Agree. They were really really bad, probably the worst feature Smash ever had.
Maybe if you didn't have to unlock them; but even then I think custom moves as a concept just go against Smash's pick up and play nature.
The way they integrated a similar concept with the DQ Heroes or with Ryu is way more interesting.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I hope there's more to Grunty than that fly by animation, Anyone else noticed that she looked lifeless kind of like a dummy riding the broomstick? I hope we can hear some rhymes from her or at least her iconic cackle during a match.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I hope there's more to Grunty than that fly by animation, Anyone else noticed that she looked lifeless kind of like a dummy riding the broomstick? I hope we can hear some rhymes from her or at least her iconic cackle during a match.
Keep in mind, though, that Challenger Pack 3 is still in the Fall. They have plenty of time to make the changes they need to make.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Man I’m still shaking in excitement here after almost a week after the reveal! Banjo in smash! I’m so excited! I wish he was here already!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
We really need, well we don't NEED another Fire Emblem, but if we ended up with another one we need a character that plays to what we haven't seen in Smash. I recall Smash 4 supporters of Chrom suggesting he could take notes from his second seal class promotions and have him play as a horse mounted knight or General (something I ended up doing in my first playthrough of Awakening.). Granted, Robin already scratched that itch a little bit by being a spellsword and introducing spells to his moveset, but might as well keep the ball rolling. if people really don't want another sword slinger with no other tricks (and lets be fair; I too do not want that.), give us an archer that focuses on long range but smash attacks by stabbing people with an arrow or whacks them with their bow, or maybe an archer or horse back, or give us a ninja who slings shuriken and kunai, or a beast race a la the Manakete (Serious how did Tiki never become playable in Smash. She's in the same game as Marth. She's also an OG!) Laguz, Taguel, or Kitsune/Wolfskin, Or a pegasus rider, etc. Just give us something new and I'm sure people would be a lot more receptive to a new Fire Emblem edition to the cast, and goodness knows Fire Emblem has a lot of new it could still give if Nintendo were so inclined.

*EDIT* Although, Robin and Corrin both are fairly unique, but there was still lots of negative reception. Maybe the problem really is just too much Fire Emblem. Although I know well the circumstances surrounding Corrins reveal soured the character more than his moveset, and I don't think they utilized a bestial transformation character to it's fullest potential, with Corrin still largely being a sword swinger. Also I forgot Greninja is literally a ninja Pokemon, but I still think a FE Ninja could be suitably different.
in terms of a pegasus rider from Fire Emblem, how about Caeda?

ze9

Smash Ace
Keep in mind, though, that Challenger Pack 3 is still in the Fall. They have plenty of time to make the changes they need to make.
From what I remember, Banjo's trailer is also the only Smash trailer with an advice that the footage shown is still in development put at the end. At least for Smash 4 and Ultimate. Like, the Hero doesn't have it.
They're probably going to change some details here and there between now and the release date.
Speaking of which... I CAN'T WAIT GAAAAAAH

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
From what I remember, Banjo's trailer is also the only Smash trailer with an advice that the footage shown is still in development put at the end. At least for Smash 4 and Ultimate. Like, the Hero doesn't have it.
They're probably going to change some details here and there between now and the release date.
Speaking of which... I CAN'T WAIT GAAAAAAH
I honestly don't know if I want them changing Banjo's eyes or not. He looks like he has seen some **** and stopped having emotions because of it. Nuts and Bolts really changed him man.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I honestly don't know if I want them changing Banjo's eyes or not. He looks like he has seen some **** and stopped having emotions because of it. Nuts and Bolts really changed him man.
He looks kinda stoned.
I'm not sure though, at the beginning the eyes felt really off to me... but now I can't imagine him to be any different. He's so cute now.

Well anyways, they'll probably make him more expressive one way or the other.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, I think it changed all of us.

Banjo Threeie will start with square Banjo asking us about the meaning of insanity.

Ah, also, Glitter Gulch post incoming. Would you guys rather have me keep posting my first Tooie replay in 10 years here? Or would you prefer if I moved them elsewhere? I'm having a lot of fun collecting my thoughts to write these, but the last thing I'd want is to clog the thread somehow.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
To be fair, I think it changed all of us.

Banjo Threeie will start with square Banjo asking us about the meaning of insanity.

Ah, also, Glitter Gulch post incoming. Would you guys rather have me keep posting my first Tooie replay in 10 years here? Or would you prefer if I moved them elsewhere? I'm having a lot of fun collecting my thoughts to write these, but the last thing I'd want is to clog the thread somehow.
I say keep them here, good place for it.

Speaking of Tooie. Just beat Grunty so the game is 100% complete.

Man these are awesome games. I hope we get a new one soon. Giving up the rights to this franchise has to be the worst thing Nintendo has done. Even if they lost rare, they should have tried to keep the franchise, at least then there was a chance of revival like DKC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Banjo-Kazooie: A True Underdog Story
Thread mood:

Anyone remember the in game cheats you can use in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie? I do. I used Super Banjo a lot.
Back in ye olden days, I used that thing you call a magazine subscription to learn of those (BK was on the cover once, to boot). Fun times, discovering a new code every time that you wouldn't find in the official guide.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Saw this in a discord, wanted to share
D9bPtcbWkAQmFEe.png

Also I learned the other day that they're Married in Nuts and bolts. And I have to ask. WHY???? THEY'RE MEANT TO BE RIVALS!!!! THEY'RE NOT EVEN THE SAME SPECIES (I think?) I feel like being married goes against their character. Especially after like one game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 228662

Also I learned the other day that they're Married in Nuts and bolts. And I have to ask. WHY???? THEY'RE MEANT TO BE RIVALS!!!! THEY'RE NOT EVEN THE SAME SPECIES (I think?) I feel like being married goes against their character. Especially after like one game.
Yeah, uh, you can tell that the writing staff for that game may not have had much, if any, of the veterans. Or they basically stopped caring under the stifling atmosphere of Spencer's predecessor.

That being said, it would be fun to see Grunty and Tiny Kong in the same game someday, given that Tiny's like a Kong version of Tooty. :laugh:

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
View attachment 228662

I don't remember them being married in Nuts and Bolts.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Giving up the rights to this franchise has to be the worst thing Nintendo has done.
You forget the Virtual Boy. But okay, I'll keep these posts here for the time being.

So, Glitter Gulch Mine... I remember getting lost here as a kid. Now, as an adult, my memorization skills are better, but it's easy to see that the layout of the mine isn't the best: several sections look similar - to the point that the best landmarks are colored rock piles and the mine shaft signs... which are few and far between. It's still the second level though, so I think most players will still be able to get most collectibles on their first time here.

Glitter Gulch Mine Highlights:

Detonator Banjo - The Detonator transformation highlights one of the reasons why I liked BK's transformations better than BT's. In BK, not all stages had a transformation - but those that did made sure it was an integral part of navigating it. In BT, for the most part, you just use the transformations of each level to unlock more areas you'll need to come back to as the bear and bird, maybe a Jiggy or two, and then you don't need it again. There's three more elaborate transformations - which I will get to in future posts, but for the time being this is it.

Levitate - Mumbo's spell is less fun this time around. Sure, you have two pads, but there's no exploring involved, unlike with the Goliath. So Mumbo's section is more laser-focused this time around. Make sure you use the teleportation pads to get around, though - it's a bit of a walk between the places Mumbo needs to be...

Ordnance Storage - This section is a bit more interesting compared to Targitzan's temple, not to mention it's a clever way to introduce the Beak Bayonet. The problem is the samey-looking walls, which can confuse you if you aren't making a mental map of where you've been. Especially when there's only one TNT left. Thankfully, there's plenty of time to defuse the bombs. Got it on the second try.

Canary Mary - Since I still remembered her rubber-band shenanigans, I got through her easily here. I am not looking forward to her Cloud Cuckooland race though. God, I spent so many tries on that one... anyway, the trick I tended to use was to just keep up slightly behind Canary Mary for about half of the track, then pass her and mash like hell. Dunno if this is how most people do it, but hey, works for me!

Chuffy the Train - The train is one of Tooie's best elements of world interaction. It's going to be a highlight again in a post about a future level, but for now, I actually chose to skip it. You see, my memories of beating Old King Coal were of a time I didn't know about Grenade Eggs and thus beat him the way you're technically supposed to do. I want to come back here and see how much easier this fight gets with some explosive power.

Banjo-Tooie (U) snap0001.jpg

So this is it for now. I might be back to it either tomorrow or on Saturday, depending on how my work schedule goes.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't remember them being married in Nuts and Bolts.
I think it was only during the Nutty Acres level.

• Mumbo Jumbo as The Farm Owner
  • Klungo as The Heavy- Handed Farmhand
  • Bottles as The Reclusive Pilot
  • Humba Wumba as Mumbo's Long-Suffering Wife
  • Mr. Fit as The Other Farmhand
  • And Introducing Trophy Thomas as The Painfully Competitive Farm Mechanic

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think it was only during the Nutty Acres level.

• Mumbo Jumbo as The Farm Owner
  • Klungo as The Heavy- Handed Farmhand
  • Bottles as The Reclusive Pilot
  • Humba Wumba as Mumbo's Long-Suffering Wife
  • Mr. Fit as The Other Farmhand
  • And Introducing Trophy Thomas as The Painfully Competitive Farm Mechanic
Oh, so when they're just actors?

Wow people blew that out of context.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I tried to recreate the Banjo trailer in the Stage Builder. Here it is:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Wanted to give you a bit of background information:

I haven't posted much on Smash-boards about them, but I've been a BK supporter for a long time. Ever since I knew Smashbros was a thing. I absolutely loved the games. The genuine humor, colorful characters, and amazing platforming made for such an amazing experience. I actually only dabbled in the first one at a friends place, but I played the HELL out of Banjo Tooie. I would go back years later even after I beat it to mess around with the transformations and cheats. I absolutely loved just flying around as Dragon Kazooie and shooting **** out of the sky with "LOTS" of eggs and red feathers. I remember these times so fondly that I'm actually thinking of picking up an N64 again especially since I never properly played the first game (and this would be a hell of a lot cheaper then getting an X-Box).

So like a lot of people my expectations dropped considerably when I saw The Hero. I was watching the direct in my car at work after it had already aired. I was already trying to keep my hype in check, and was actually saying to myself before E3 that they probably won't be in so I wouldn't be too disappointed. My hope was at an all time low both because I wasn't sure there would be two Smash reveals, and I accidentally saw that there was going to be a BoTW sequel before pulling up the direct. I figured such a huge reveal would be the last thing they showed, so OF COURSE I wouldn't see another Smash reveal. I also thought that this was probably the last chance for BK because they would only reveal such huge characters at E3 (of course this was probably a silly thought in retrospect). Needless to say... I didn't see it coming.

The moment I saw that damn Jiggy I started screaming and couldn't stop. The trailer barely registered the first time. My mind was freaking blown to bits...

WARNING: CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE

I still can't believe it. I've watched so many reactions, seen the trailer dozens of times, and I still can barely fathom it. It's unreal. I thought they were gone forever, but it finally happened. We did it. They're home. I just can't wait.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I imagined Humba and Mumbo were married but started hating each other, and possibly divorced. I think I remember some dialogue in Tooie that seems to imply this, but I haven't replayed it yet so I'm not sure.

Top Bottom