• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Long time Banjo fan here. I never dared to dream, but I'm taking the risk.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that tweet. Through all these years of Smash speculation, we have seen many leaks that turned out to be fake, many times in the form of a tweet (LeakyPandy and loz18 being some of the most recent examples). I'd rather look at what's actually there. Xbox Live coming to Switch and the cut Rare spirits are tangible evidence. At the very least it implies that Nintendo and Microsoft are talking.

As for Xbox Live, I'm not sure what it means. For now, it mainly seems to improve crossplay. If that's the case, this is actually a point towards Steve, because of all Switch games, Minecraft will benefit the most from this development. However, if Microsoft has plans to bring Rare games to the Switch in some form (which we simply don't know yet), I'd say Banjo is the clear frontrunner. GDC 2019 could get very interesting.

I wouldnt get hyped over a tweet removed just yet. The famous 2015 Rayman leak video was removed from youtube. This made many people think that the leak was real, but hardly anyone noticed that the vodeo was removed by the uploader himself, not Nintendo. This lady could be deleting her own tweets to get banjobros to believe that her rumor is indeed real. We should still keep an eye on her, but not let ourselves get bamboozled.
The difference here is the Rayman leak was from a random nobody (at the time) who straight up made a fake leak to gain a following. This girl already seems to have a bit of a following (17k followers) and she gives off the impression that she has quite a bit of inside info. I doubt she would want to jeapordize her reputation over some random fake information

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I think the insider is right and I also think she doesn’t know for sure any more than I do. People have been guessing Banjo in Smash/N64 Classic for ages.

The stretch in her tweets I think is where she says this is happening because of Banjo. I think this is happening because Microsoft wants to be tight with Nintendo so they can sell Xbox Live and GamePass to Switch owners, and also to provide a sharp contrast to Sony. Banjo is more right place right time.

I think the insider is right and I also think she doesn’t know for sure any more than I do. People have been guessing Banjo in Smash/N64 Classic for ages.

The stretch in her tweets I think is where she says this is happening because of Banjo. I think this is happening because Microsoft wants to be tight with Nintendo so they can sell Xbox Live and GamePass to Switch owners, and also to provide a sharp contrast to Sony. Banjo is more right place right time.
She didn’t say it’s happening because of Banjo, she said it’s happening because Nintendo approached Rare about wanting to use their games for what I’m assuming is the N64 Classic, and their collaboration with Microsoft escalated from there (correct me if I’m wrong)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Plus, Minecraft fans literally don't even care about Steve. He's an interchangeable skin. A certain facet of smash fans have just done what they ALWAYS do and bandwagon behind a character they THINK is likely. See: Erdrick. Before that: Sceptile, Impa. It'll always happen. If Steve's not in, nobody will care and they'll move onto the next thing.
Maybe the trolls, but a lot of Minecraft + Smash fans would love to see Steve in Smash, or at least a Creeper.

D

Deleted member

Maybe the trolls, but a lot of Minecraft + Smash fans would love to see Steve in Smash, or at least a Creeper.
I would be more than fine with two Microsoft reps with one being Banjo and the other being Steve as they target two drastically different demographics as Steve is for Casuals and more Mainstream and Banjo is moreso for the Harcore fanbase who loves Smash or who grew up with Nintendo. If both are in great in all honesty but I would prefer Banjo and I'm sure there's some people who would legit prefer a Minecraft rep.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
The deal here is that if Steve does not get in and Banjo-kazooie does, then thats disappointing the small group of actual Stevefans. If Steve gets in and Banjo is snubbed then a huge majority of Banjofans would cause a much bigger backlash. Way more people are wanting Banjo as DLC, and I doubt both Nintendo and Microsoft would like to spark such a reaction so close to this partnership they've got going on.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The deal here is that if Steve does not get in and Banjo-kazooie does, then thats disappointing the small group of actual Stevefans. If Steve gets in and Banjo is snubbed then a huge majority of Banjofans would cause a much bigger backlash. Way more people are wanting Banjo as DLC, and I doubt both Nintendo and Microsoft would like to spark such a reaction so close to this partnership they've got going on.
I'm not even trying to argue who should get in, I want both.

I'm just saying, Minecraft fans would like to see Steve/a Creeper, regardless of whether they're vocal/actively supporting them or not. There were people on Miiverse asking for Steve in Smash during Smash 4 stuff, at least, and more-recently a couple or so posts on the MC subreddit, one getting a lot of replies/being a lot more recent.

I'm also not sure we can actually measure how much characters are wanted when there could be silent majorities like Skull Kid's supporters. B-K and Steve could be equal for all we know.

It's also uncomfortable coming to this thread just to see intense Steve bashing sometimes, at least the opinions are simple and understandable some other times...

That's case in point. Minecraft fans want Minecraft content in Smash, they don't care what it is.
A playable character is still much better than a mii costume or whatever, and would make more hype.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I PLAY minecraft & I Don't play helo & even I would rather have Master chief over steve

altho I could see a steve Mii costume for all 3 types of miis

steve punches trees so he could be a brawler & uses swords so sword fighter & a bow for mii gunner & would make sense since in minecraft everybody puts skins over steve so in smash STEVE IS THE SKIN ! lol makes sence to me

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Maybe someone can clear this up for me, but sometimes people are shocked if someone legitimately wants Steve in the game and I really don't see why. I get that overall Banjo is likely the preferred choice for a Microsoft rep, but Steve and Minecraft itself carries this very negative reputation with them. That's odd considering how huge and influential the game is. I guess time just passed and now it's considered cringey to still have an interest in Minecraft, but c'mon who doesn't have a soft spot for that game? Would it really bother people that much if he was added to the roster after Banjo?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Maybe someone can clear this up for me, but sometimes people are shocked if someone legitimately wants Steve in the game and I really don't see why. I get that overall Banjo is likely the preferred choice for a Microsoft rep, but Steve and Minecraft itself carries this very negative reputation with them. That's odd considering how huge and influential the game is. I guess time just passed and now it's considered cringey to still have an interest in Minecraft, but c'mon who doesn't have a soft spot for that game? Would it really bother people that much if he was added to the roster after Banjo?
I think some people blame its fanbase.

In my experience, it's not any worse than literally every other fanbase.

TheBeastHimself

I think some people blame its fanbase.

In my experience, it's not any worse than literally every other fanbase.
That isn't fair though. People are judging the game itself based on its fanbase, but who cares? It's like saying you want Sans in Smash. Undertale in my opinion was a really cute and fun game, but nooooo nobody wants Sans because of Undertale's fanbase. Fanbases have nothing to do with the actual games themselves, so I don't see why the lines between game and fanbase have been blurred so much to the point where people cringe at the mere thought of Steve or Sans in the game.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It’s probably the whole ‘fanbase’ stigma from a few years ago.

That and Nostalgia

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Most banjo fans are of the mind the series has gotten a raw deal ever since the buy out. With 2 great games on N64, it would be logical to expect an awesome third game to be on Game Cube (and it was even "confirmed" at the end of Tooie and at Space World 2000), but htat obviously never happened and Nuts and Bolts released instead. To have Banjo in Smash is pretty much all Banjo fans can hope for nowadays since the series is only kept alive by the fanbase. When the smash ballot came about, people saw it as an opportunity to bring back Banjo and breathe life into one of their favorite games. The idea that Steve/Mine Craft can just come in at the last second and render years of requesting Banjo useless makes some people Anti-Steve, since a lot of people are of the mind that Banjo in Smash is "the last shot" the series has (Even if this statement may or may not be completely true).

TLDR- many banjo fans have seen the series been screwed over time and time again, and dont want Mine Craft to come in at the last second and screw over the banjo series once again. I'm near certain that if Banjo got in, then 99.99% of the banjo fans wouldn't be upset if Steve got in later on. They just dont want Steve with no Banjo.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Most banjo fans are of the mind the series has gotten a raw deal ever since the buy out. With 2 great games on N64, it would be logical to expect an awesome third game to be on Game Cube (and it was even "confirmed" at the end of Tooie and at Space World 2000), but htat obviously never happened and Nuts and Bolts released instead. To have Banjo in Smash is pretty much all Banjo fans can hope for nowadays since the series is only kept alive by the fanbase. When the smash ballot came about, people saw it as an opportunity to bring back Banjo and breathe life into one of their favorite games. The idea that Steve/Mine Craft can just come in at the last second and render years of requesting Banjo useless makes some people Anti-Steve, since a lot of people are of the mind that Banjo in Smash is "the last shot" the series has (Even if this statement may or may not be completely true).

TLDR- many banjo fans have seen the series been screwed over time and time again, and dont want Mine Craft to come in at the last second and screw over the banjo series once again. I'm near certain that if Banjo got in, then 99.99% of the banjo fans wouldn't be upset if Steve got in later on. They just dont want Steve with no Banjo.
This makes a lot of sense and I can totally see where people are coming from. Thanks for clearin' things up.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

y'see this makes more sense than the people who make up excuses as to why Steve shouldn't/"can't" be in Smash.

Last edited:

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
Minecraft fans will be pleased to see steve, but theyre not crying for it. Many Banjo fans(myself included) have wanted banjo since the first n64 game. If steve gets in thats cool, but if banjo gets in so many people will rejoice. Its a big deal to alot of people. Minecraft isnt a character driven game. Minecraft isnt about steve its about minecraft, but the banjo games would be completely different without the bear-bird duo. Give us minecraft items, bosses, skins, spirits anything but really noone LOVES steve, they love minecraft.

D

Deleted member

I'm near certain that if Banjo got in, then 99.99% of the banjo fans wouldn't be upset if Steve got in later on. They just dont want Steve with no Banjo.
Beautifully explained. My biggest conflict with Steve is that he's cool, but he's not Banjo. If there's one or the other, I want Banjo. If we can get both, then who would complain if Minecraft is in?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tbh I'd be happy whether we got Steve/a Creeper or Banjo-Kazooie but if we don't get both, then I still want the other one to get in.

I care about Steve as a character even if I don't care so much in the actual game.

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone be so kind as to fill me in on this IndieGamerChick person and their credibility?

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

I couldn't have put it better myself, Llort. As I've said before, if they got in, I'd literally have NO problem with anyone else getting in, whether it was Steve or another Fire Emblem character. As long as I got my beloved backpacking bear and bird as crisp and fresh as they were back on the N64 with all their moves and history brought with them, and even the chance of having their games finally return onto Nintendo, with the Switch of all consoles able to play their games in HD on the go? And then to have both long-time fans and especially people who may not have known about Banjo-Kazooie before hand (such as younger people) get to see what made them so great in the first place and possibly revitalize the series with more games? It'd be an absolute dream come true and would make up for literal YEARS of disappointment.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, that pretty much hits the nail on the head. A lot of the anti-Steve behavior from BK fans mainly stems from the real possibility that, if there is a Microsoft rep, there's only going to be one, and naturally they want it to be Banjo-Kazooie. If Sakurai manages to put both Steve and Banjo-Kazooie in the game, then I would have no issues whatsoever, especially if he manages to make Steve a functional fighter in the same vein that he managed to make Piranha Plant one. I just don't want Steven in OVER Banjo-Kazooie.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
well I just thought about how Steve is treated as the only obstacle when we also have Master Chief and maybe some others I can't think of (not sure if Cuphead counts), and they all seem to be iconic in their own right.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
well I just thought about how Steve is treated as the only obstacle when we also have Master Chief and maybe some others I can't think of (not sure if Cuphead counts), and they all seem to be iconic in their own right.
Honestly, the biggest competition would be MC, and he's already been long deconfirmed by higher-ups. (I don't have the tweet source, but if someone could get that, that'd be great.) I mean deconfirmed in the strongest sense of the word in saying that, blatantly, he is not Smash DLC. With that said, it's really only between Steve and Banjo right now. I'd love if Sakurai could pull off a miracle and get them both, satisfying both ends of the spectrum, but I just don't see that happening.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly, the biggest competition would be MC, and he's already been long deconfirmed by higher-ups. (I don't have the tweet source, but if someone could get that, that'd be great.) I mean deconfirmed in the strongest sense of the word in saying that, blatantly, he is not Smash DLC. With that said, it's really only between Steve and Banjo right now. I'd love if Sakurai could pull off a miracle and get them both, satisfying both ends of the spectrum, but I just don't see that happening.
for a moment I thought MC was Minecraft and I thought "wat, dang it, I never saw this" and then I finished reading while having a second where I went "wait I thought you said Steve was disconfir- oh."

although if this leaker IndieChick is saying Banjo-Kazooie she better be telling the truth.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Beautifully explained. My biggest conflict with Steve is that he's cool, but he's not Banjo. If there's one or the other, I want Banjo. If we can get both, then who would complain if Minecraft is in?
All I want is Banjo. I dont care if the stage isn't themed or if there was a lack of music...then again not hearing updated Tooie music would be a crime in itself. I could care less about the other packs, I just want my Bear and Bird to be given some love for once. In a show of god faith if they are confirmed I will buy the whole fighters pass, straight up.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
for a moment I thought MC was Minecraft and I thought "wat, dang it, I never saw this" and then I finished reading while having a second where I went "wait I thought you said Steve was disconfir- oh."

although if this leaker IndieChick is saying Banjo-Kazooie she better be telling the truth.
You know that if she isn't accurate, then there will likely be bees. Normally, I would say riots, but in this case... obviously, it's bees.

Only bees.

(bee buzzy mumbling talk sound)

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I don't think this Microsoft thing is going to announce anything in our favor. Heck they haven't really even announced anything new.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Bees you say...

Bees were hell in Conker as well. RARE's bees suck.

Except for the Zingers in DKC. The Zingers are cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom