• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
xD He's just using them to pretend he has "swag" but neh, he doesn't. U v U Your Crowned Dee is the perfect example of using them wisely.
I always knew you were jelly of me girl, no need to be so mad. :cool:

You're the best my friend. ;)

Also, that new Pokemon Go game looks pretty cool. :phone: I'm also glad to see them acknowledged Iwata's passing, since this was apparently a project in his vision, you're a caring company, Nintendo. <3

I hope something like Kirby Mobile game get's made someday, maybe Bandana Dee can be playable in it too.

And Adeleine and Ribbon, PLZ.

Last edited:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
It's also part of the medley on the Paper Mario stage in Smash 3DS, if I'm not mistaken.

It's easy to say that now, but back when Kirby Super Deluxe was new, Marx was quite a surprising character. He fit in with all of the other random happy-go-lucky creatures and just appeared to be like any other character from the series. His betrayal of Kirby was something pretty unique in video games at the time, and it was genuinely surprising. This is why he's regarded as so memorable by so many, though I suppose you did have to be there at the time to get the full effect.

Don't feel frustrated about that, of all arguments! :) I don't think anyone here can name any character who hasn't had that directed at them. It's very often code-speak for "I don't like that character, so I don't want to see them added.".

I support King K. Rool, Bandana Waddle Dee, Daisy, Mr. Stevenson, and Goku from Yuyuki, primarily. Ironically, it's only the first three (well-recognised characters who are popular) who get the "irrelevance" thing, whereas the latter two (who, to be fair, are all but forgotten) do not. :laugh:
I WAS there.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Here's a weird question: If non-game characters were allowed in Smash, who would you want?

For me it would be either Darth Vader or Ferb.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What would be your reaction if Sakurai doesn't add Bandana Dee? and if the reason is because BD is just a Waddle Dee, and Waddle Dees are weak and peaceful? "He would not be a Waddle Dee anymore."

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
What would be your reaction if Sakurai doesn't add Bandana Dee and the reason is because BD is just a Waddle Dee, and Waddle Dees are weak and peaceful? He would not be Bandana Dee anymore.
Sakurai wouldn't say that. He did create BWD. Ridley being a boss and Bandana Dee being part of a species is completely different.
Besides, Yoshi is a Yoshi, ROB is a ROB, so Bandana Dee having unique abilities compared to a normal waddle dee helps his chances. Besides, what can Yoshi do that other Yoshi's can't?

Laniv

Smash Champion
What would be your reaction if Sakurai doesn't add Bandana Dee and the reason is because BD is just a Waddle Dee, and Waddle Dees are weak and peaceful? "He would not be a Waddle Dee anymore."
Too weak and peaceful but he still has a spear?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
What would be your reaction if Sakurai doesn't add Bandana Dee? and if the reason is because BD is just a Waddle Dee, and Waddle Dees are weak and peaceful? "He would not be a Waddle Dee anymore."
That makes no sense.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.
I just filled the whole thing out. That was a lot of fun - thanks!

I WAS there.
Then forgive me, please. :) At least I'm not the only old hand at the series around here. :laugh: I still can't believe that it's been almost twenty years since the game hit Europe!

I honestly don't know how I'd react. I don't know these things unless or until the time comes. :p

Sakurai wouldn't say that. He did create BWD. Ridley being a boss and Bandana Dee being part of a species is completely different.
Besides, Yoshi is a Yoshi, ROB is a ROB, so Bandana Dee having unique abilities compared to a normal waddle dee helps his chances. Besides, what can Yoshi do that other Yoshi's can't?
Going by the official description used for the various Yoshi Amiibos, nothing;

Kind-hearted, naturally protective of others, and perpetually hungry, Yoshi™ is always up for adventure…there are so many mysteries to explore and new things to find! Yoshis can flutter their legs to jump incredibly high and can use their long tongue to snare enemies or other handy things.

Too weak and peaceful but he still has a spear?

What on Earth did I just watch...? :crazy:

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That poll Blue posted says Magalor instead of Magolor.
Oh well, at least it doesn't say Galactica Knight instead of Galacta Knight.
"Magalor" is just a mispeling of Magolor, though. "Galactica Knight" is, on the other hand, a lot closer to Galacta Knight's name in Japan, which is "Galactic Knight". :p

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is "Magalor" some secretly derogatory term or a meme for Magolor? At first I thought it was a misspelling but since it happens so often maybe it isn't?

Last edited:

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
How come the Kirby and Pokemon animes are animes, whereas the Mario & LoZ cartoons were cartoons? Like, why were the Mario and LoZ one made as cartoons (i.e not made in Japan)?

Amingo

Smash Apprentice
How come the Kirby and Pokemon animes are animes, whereas the Mario & LoZ cartoons were cartoons? Like, why were the Mario and LoZ one made as cartoons (i.e not made in Japan)?
If i recall, Mario did have it's share of OVAs but thoose were never released outiside of Japan.

Back on Bandana Dee:
What move would you all prefer for Bandana dee's final smash? The Megaton Punch or a Waddle Stampede?
I prefer the air ladder (the former could be used for a :GCD::GCB:), it would work like this:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Most television animation adaptations back then were made for the US market, which is likely why things were licensed out as they were at that time. Also, Nintendo has always had a very strong business there, so I would say that it simply made good sense to license American-made productions of their properties. The success of these, ironically enough, is quite possibly what led to the Dededisastrous events surrounding the licensing of Super Mario Bros.: The Movie - I would imagine that the original expectation on Nintendo's part was for a half-decent live-action adaptation somewhat similar to DiC's work on the various Nintendo-licensed animated TV shows, rather than what the licensees actually did.

There were a few Japanese-made productions, most notably Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach! (1986), which was actually the first made-for-cinema Super Mario Bros. movie (though it was actually released as a tie-in to the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2), and the straight-to-video kanji education animation, Mario Kirby Masterpiece Video (1995), which marked the first time that Kirby had a voice (long before Sakurai decided that Kirby shouldn't speak very much).

By the time that the Pokemon and Kirby anime came along, things surrounding television animation, and the dubbing of foreign TV animation for the US market*, had changed significantly.

*Things were always very different in Europe and the UK, in this regard. When I was growing up in the 1980s and 1990s, there were a fair few dubbed Japanese productions popularly aired (and also successfully released on Betamax and VHS, back when Betamax still existed as a consumer product), as well as dubbed Japanese/Spanish and Japanese/French co-productions, amongst others.

Back on Bandana Dee:
What move would you all prefer for Bandana dee's final smash? The Megaton Punch or a Waddle Stampede?
As always, I say that it's got to be the Megaton Punch, as a reference to where he debuted. :grin:

EDIT: Oops, I missed a post! Sorry, @ Zerp Zerp !

Is "Magalor" some secretly derogatory term or a meme for Magolor? At first I thought it was a misspelling but since it happens so often maybe it isn't?
I think it's that the misspelling drives some people crackers, more than anything. :laugh:

Last edited:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
I just filled the whole thing out. That was a lot of fun - thanks!

Then forgive me, please. :) At least I'm not the only old hand at the series around here. :laugh: I still can't believe that it's been almost twenty years since the game hit Europe!

I honestly don't know how I'd react. I don't know these things unless or until the time comes. :p

Going by the official description used for the various Yoshi Amiibos, nothing;

What on Earth did I just watch...? :crazy:
It's cool, but people are ACTUALLY voting for Brittany Spears. -_-

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's cool, but people are ACTUALLY voting for Brittany Spears. -_-
The notion should be scary, but I'm honestly finding it unsurprising, because an awful lot of people are applying the same logic to other non-video game personalities and characters, using the justification of "Has been in a video game = video game character", which of course is not accurate (for those cases, it's really "Has been in a video game = has appeared in a tie-in product carrying their license").

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
The notion should be scary, but I'm honestly finding it unsurprising, because an awful lot of people are applying the same logic to other non-video game personalities and characters, using the justification of "Has been in a video game = video game character", which of course is not accurate (for those cases, it's really "Has been in a video game = has appeared in a tie-in product carrying their license").
Worse still, I've seen multiple votes for The Eiffel Tower.

I'm guessing these people don't know that Smash is a fighting game.

If i recall, Mario did have it's share of OVAs but thoose were never released outiside of Japan.

Back on Bandana Dee:
I prefer the air ladder (the former could be used for a :GCD::GCB:), it would work like this:
I would prefer his FS to be Megaton Punch. It's his first appearance and he's the first to appear in it.

I don't want another Dedede Final Failure from Brawl. (not trying to insult anyone who likes that Final Smash, it's just so weak)

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Too Peaceful? :4villager:

And that "actuate portrayals" argument is still stupid, both to Ridley, and both to BDee if that was what he said.

The thing is about that line from Sakurai about Ridley, that was for his "design" standpoint, abut his appearance as a fighter when his original design in OM has big long wings and long tail, if we were to alter those things, "it would not be Ridley anymore", is where his viewpoint comes from.

Bandana Dee doesn't have a design worth alternating, nor isn't as "peaceful" since he uses a SPEAR. A weapon. Which means he isn't peaceful, and Sakurai would just be saying stuff like that because he doesn't have any idea how to make him work, like with Ridley.

But either way, if push come to shove, if he wasn't in and had some reason why like that, I wouldn't blow my ****, it's just a game, so, I'd just hope for the best next time. The man always changes his mind, so if he said something like that, it's not the end of the world, unless people stop supporting the character the love, then that's when you won't even see him in the game. Only if the fans quit will his chances be sealed.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And that "actuate portrayals" argument is still stupid, both to Ridley, and both to BDee if that was what he said.

The thing is about that line from Sakurai about Ridley, that was for his "design" standpoint, abut his appearance as a fighter when his original design in OM has big long wings and long tail, if we were to alter those things, "it would not be Ridley anymore", is where his viewpoint comes from.
In fairness, I do believe that at least part of that issue may have come from Yoshio Sakamoto, the man currently in charge of the Metroid series. I believe this because, as I understand it, Sakurai consults with such individuals wherever possible about how things should be portrayed in Smash.

The man always changes his mind, so if he said something like that, it's not the end of the world, unless people stop supporting the character the love, then that's when you won't even see him in the game. Only if the fans quit will his chances be sealed.
This is a very sensible outlook. I applaud it highly. :)

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Thanks to @ Logo12 Logo12 compiling the data so far from BluePikmin11 's poll I can happily say we have the second highest average out of all Nintendo newcomers, only behind K. Rool and are 5th place overall!

Don't you think this is great?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The end of the ballot is so near.

Thanks to @ Logo12 Logo12 compiling the data so far from BluePikmin11 's poll I can happily say we have the second highest average out of all Nintendo newcomers, only behind K. Rool and are 5th place overall!

That's pretty cool, go vote, guys! And also throw another vote in the real ballot XD
The first time I typed Magolor I type "Moogler" in the poll. It was embarrassing. :S
XDD

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I like how I spread some info in the Wolf thread (and sometimes one other place) and I'll get tagged somewhere else.

I haven't compiled all data yet, only part 1 and 3 because I only filled those parts, and even in those data I picked those who are likely to reach the top few (except Veterans because I only intended to compare Wolf to other vets to begin with)

Also I spent much time derailing myself into endless fixing of the formulae, so stuff may not be so up-to-date. dunno

You know, stuff like =SUM(IF(IF([Group]=C2,[Average],0)>K2,1,0),1)&" (All:"&RANK(K2,[Average])&")" aren't going to just make me a few seconds to figure out.

Might do the others tomorrow, who knows :/

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Just to make this easier to read, I just organized the list in order.

Order.png

:) Pretty good guys. Keep it up.

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
Call me crazy, but aren't these some of (not all) the same people saying that BD has NO chance? That literally makes no sense. You know what does make cents? Pennies.

D

Deleted member

If he doesn't add Bandana Dee, I would be a bit upset. I do like what we have already, but I am still livid about the lack of content from the newer Kirby games in favor of his own.
If that was his reasoning, I would be very disappointed and I would call him out for hypocrisy. The peaceful remark is the reason why Villager and the Miis were excluded in Brawl, so why have a double standard like that?

Shadow Keebey

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what was your first Virtual Console game if you have one, if not what one do you want the most? My first VC game was Kirby's Dream Land. I still have yet to do Extra Mode as that looks painful.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't even expected you to appear in here in the first place, nor expected you to do the same as me. I'm sorry. But thank you for helped with it though.
Nah it's fine. I'm a supporter too just for the record, tho I might not be visible in here at all due to lack of experience with Kirby games and not able to catch up with the Kirby topics :/

Didn't really mean anythinf, but I can just put both ranks in the future if you like
(Or just put the whole excel online for less trouble)

----

I updated the list (final update before I sleep now) and included the unrepped newcomers, and the results are a bit.... disappointing:
  • Isaac and Custom Robo took the 3rd and 4th place, K Rool at 5th
  • BDee dropped to 11th place.
wat.

Last edited:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
After going back in Super Star Ultra and beating Marx again, I think it's safe to say that he's THE creepiest villain in the series. You don't know where he comes from at the beginning of Milky Way Wishes, and you don't see him until the part where he steals your wish. Even his transformation into his true form is weird. When you beat him, you know he had a horrible death. I mean, Nova is a machine. You sent him flying into gears. Grinding gears. That's painful. Not as painful as the planet-sized explosion from Nova, though. Then you go over to the True Arena. That cut scene of him drifting in space should haunt you. Why? THAT'S BECAUSE YOU KILLED HIM. That's his corpse. At least you think it is until that absorption of Nova's parts. His wings? Weird. His eyes? Bruh. His tongue? Oh that gave me nightmares for weeks. His cackle is freakin' crazy, he splits himself in half when he attacks AND when he dies, and that scream-- you all know about it. I say all that to say this. Marx had a weird backstory. He's iconic in the series, but freaks a lot of people out. How iconic is Bandana Dee in the series? Do you think he'll leave a permanent impression on us like Marx... just not as creepy?

Top Bottom