• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

IronFish

Smash Ace
Ugh, why do some people people think Bandana Dee is just like Blue Toad? He's not! He's just as important as Dedede and Meta Knight now.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I would rather want him to take off his bandana like lucina does with ther taunts :p

I Can't believe that the BDee is becoming popular, and Sakurai and is team KNOW IT.
huh that was the plan "playable on RtD" just saying...

Ugh, why do some people people think Bandana Dee is just like Blue Toad? He's not! He's just as important as Dedede and Meta Knight now.
Not nearly, but he is definitely important, maybe captain toad?
He is right next to them though :L

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Uh, not really lol

DDD and MK have been there since the beginning, and have been playable multiple times. BD hasn't been around for a while and he's only playable once.

Not nearly, but he is definitely important, maybe captain toad?
He is right next to them though :L
IMO not really..

CT
- has a game
- 2 important non-playable roles (Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2)
- Playable in 3DW
- Toad has Wario's Woods
- Recognizable to A LOT of people, even casuals

BD
- does not have a game
- 1 (maybe 2 if we find out more about the 2015 Kirby game) important non-playable role.
- Playable in RtDL
- Not too recognizable to casuals...

They would be pretty close if BD had his own game, but alas, he doesn't :c

This is just my opinion, though. I'd have to say that BD isn't really similar to another Ninty character.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Toad will obviously have more popularity and playable roles than Bandana Dee, he is a Mario character, Nintendo's biggest franchise.
When people say that Bandana Dee and Captain Toad are similar is because they are important members of their species, they are "different" and also members of the Main Characters.

And with the Dedede-Meta Knight-Bandana Dee thing, Dedede and Meta Knight are older, but in the recent games, the 3 characters have the same amount of importance, well, except for Meta Knight in Triple Deluxe.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I have a feeling Rainbow Curse might fill Bandana Dee's role prominently. But if we're going by that logic of what you said earlier, Captain Toad is almost as important as Meta Knight as well.

Anyways, I found a leak on GameFAKS from a 2chan thread that got deleted. Thoughts?

http://s30.postimg.org/3jy7snbnz/eth.png

From the looks of it, he's on the 3D Land stage.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I have a feeling Rainbow Curse might fill Bandana Dee's role prominently. But if we're going by that logic of what you said earlier, Captain Toad is almost as important as Meta Knight as well.

Anyways, I found a leak on GameFAKS from a 2chan thread that got deleted. Thoughts?

I'm 100% positive it is fake.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

I want to believe....

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I'm 100% positive it is fake.
OMG this one looks pretty good though. I really want it to be true, lol. I want a palutena moment again where everyone says the cap is fake and it actually ended up being real.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
What do you think about Bandana Dee's Spear and Marth's Sword? The tip mechanic?
Do you think Marth affects Bandana Dee's chances?

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
What do you think about Bandana Dee's Spear and Marth's Sword? The tip mechanic?
Not really.... it seems odd to think about because to me it's like saying "How does Marth effect the chances of the other FE characters?"

D

Deleted member

No, I think that Dee would have something similar, and he can borrow things from other Waddle Dee's if need be. He could have an assist star mechanic like I posted earlier to heal himself. The spear itself lends to being unique since he stabs, resulting in thinner and longer hitboxes, emphasizing spacing. He would have to be fast and very powerful on the tip to compliment the weapon's natural attributes as well, but extremely weak otherwise. In other words, combining the assist star mechanic and the spear attributes I described alllow for a character with a high skill ceiling who gets rewarded in the extremes for doing well, and punished severely for being bad. Little Mac's KO punch rewards you no matter what for lack of an air game, but Bandana Dee would be extremely unique just because of his weapon.
Here is the assist star mecanic I posted earlier for reference-

I got a new idea for the Dee being unique. He could have an assist star meter that charges up food items. It would generate food like in Triple Deluxe the more damage/KOs Bandana Dee does, but it would "power down" the more he gets hit/gets KOed. It would go from Ice Cream (normal food heal; easy to get) to the juice shake thing you get before bosses (20% heal; hard to get) to the Maxim Tomato that he gives Dedede (50% heal like Maxim Tomatos; extremely hard to get)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
IMO not really..

CT
- has a game
- 2 important non-playable roles (Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2)
- Playable in 3DW
- Toad has Wario's Woods
- Recognizable to A LOT of people, even casuals

BD
- does not have a game
- 1 (maybe 2 if we find out more about the 2015 Kirby game) important non-playable role.
- Playable in RtDL
- Not too recognizable to casuals...

They would be pretty close if BD had his own game, but alas, he doesn't :c

This is just my opinion, though. I'd have to say that BD isn't really similar to another Ninty character.
I wouldnt call CT "recognizable to a lot of people" and we could consider waddle 64 here because BD is obviously a refference to him.

Toad was really the best way to describe him but he kinda has its own franchise now.
The only other comparison i can think is taking mario rpg archetypes by calling BD the mallow of kirby... but outside mario i think impa works just fine :p

I think is closest to DDD's hammer only being good at a certain distance, also TL, and actually yes, if sakurai thought chrome wasnt interesting that could also happen to dee, but my take is a no, it doesnt affects him.

--
Now, how about a kirby clone? :kirby:

Up B = Cutter :: Proyectile Recovery = Spear.
Side B = Hammer :: Weapon Abbility = Parasol.
Down B = Stone :: Ground Move = Megaton Punch.
Neutral B = Absortion :: Grab = K64 Carry (waddle dee's beta abbility :p ).

Only 2 jumps, stronger, smash 64 normals, parasol=dees as a specie= more hats.
Plus, he could be considered the luigi of the series instead of just "MK trailer" :p

Sinceramente, llega a suceder y me muero xDDDDD seria tan genial.

Last edited:

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

This theme needs to make it into smash 4. I think this playing for Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't be too weird either considering where it originates.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
It's strange I don't post here often, what with Kirby being my favorite franchise and character hands down. I feel Bandana Dee would be a perfect fit for SSB4 and he'd complete the Kirby team nicely. I'd love to have a full all Kirby battle without having to use one character twice. Something I noticed is that Sakurai doesn't seem to want to show Kirby's new stage. Heck, we have 2 Fire Emblem stages, 2 Kid Icarus stages, about 4 Mario stages, 3 Zelda stages, etc. Kirby's a pretty big Nintendo franchise, so I'm sort of surprised his stage hasn't been shown at all (not counting the Battleship Halberd of course). With Meta Knight confirmed, and still no stage, I'm starting to get a little suspicious. Perhaps they're saving the Kirby stage to be shown off in Bandana's trailer? If so, I'd assume it'd be based off of Return to Dreamland. But let me stop, I don't want to jinx anything.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

This theme needs to make it into smash 4. I think this playing for Bandana Waddle Dee wouldn't be too weird either considering where it originates.
Yeah, if there is a reveal trailer for Bandana Dee, I want it to have the masked dedede theme.

As for Captain Toad vs Bandana Dee, they are practically the same thing except one is more popular and known then the other. However, they pretty much both make awesome DLC characters.

Lloyd91

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if there is a reveal trailer for Bandana Dee, I want it to have the masked dedede theme.

As for Captain Toad vs Bandana Dee, they are practically the same thing except one is more popular and known then the other. However, they pretty much both make awesome DLC characters.
I agree that one or both will most likely DLC. Both have only gotten really popular sort of recently, Dee with RTDL and Captain Toad with Super Mario 3D World. Since Sakurai decided all the characters before announcing the game, I think the two were not as popular while he was deciding. DLC gives a great opportunity for characters who got more popular during, after, or very close before the announcement to get in. Heck, if the Wii did DLC I think we would have gotten Ridley. As the game nears release in Japan, I think we have room for 1-2 more reveals, and ultimately, we have no predicting who will make it. I hope that if not in the original roster, one or both of them make it in.

LF2K

Floor Diver
BD got mentioned in GameXplain's discussion this week. (Around 2:36)

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Almost half the reason I want characters like Dee and Ridley in these days is so that they can get rubbed in the face of everyone who just says "No, they're not in because I said so."

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
*Dislike.
they followed gematsu, as they put it themselves "like a gospel" they're good at analyzing stuff but they always seem way to mainstream and Un-imaginative about stuff

Almost half the reason I want characters like Dee and Ridley in these days is so that they can get rubbed in the face of everyone who just says "No, they're not in because I said so."
While i did want bandana dee before (main reason i even found this thread) it would make me happy, not gonna lie >.>

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I haven't really been hearing all this talk about B.D. being playable or not, but I'd actually like to join you all in the relentless mocking others if B.D. is playable in SSB4.:)

LF2K

Floor Diver
Like I've said, if or when BD gets confirmed, I'm logging into my GameFAQS account for the first time in years just to rub it in at them. It's going to be fun. :troll:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I imagine you all are going to have tons of fun, mocking GameFAQs over B.D.:) Gee, I would have never thought an entire site would be against the poor little guy.

D

Deleted member

they followed gematsu, as they put it themselves "like a gospel" they're good at analyzing stuff but they always seem way to mainstream and Un-imaginative about stuff

While i did want bandana dee before (main reason i even found this thread) it would make me happy, not gonna lie >.>
GameXplain is only good for pointing things out that the average person doesn't see, but when they try to make sense of it or explain it, they make up complete crap. Case in point: "Balloon Fighter filler picture? Balloon Fight mode confirmed :troll:!"

As for Bandana Dee, some people make really bad arguments for why he isn't going to be in. All of the generic stuff is countered by the OP's material and saying: "If he is so generic, why is he featured this much with non-generic roles alongside playable 'non-generic' characters in the Kirby games?" Gamefaqs says: You're wrong because I ignore your evidence.

LF2K

Floor Diver
The OP is a great counter to all arguments against him. If I haven't said it before, Chan's do a fantastic job writing it.

It's kind of funny, when they announced Waddle Dee was the 4th guy in Return to Dream Land, I was left scratching my head. I thought for sure Knuckle Joe would have taken that shot. But since playing it, I was convinced BD was perfect for Smash! Now, if he actually is playable, he's gone from a mere extra to fighting the biggest titans in gaming!

LF2K

Floor Diver
Wow this 3D modell is so bad. I cant believe some people would think that it is real.
I remember what that image came online, I acted like I fell for it. I had a few people lash at me for being stupid, even though I just joking around.:glare:

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
I remember what that image came online, I acted like I fell for it. I had a few people lash at me for being stupid, even though I just joking around.:glare:
There are always people who take everything seriously and are not able to notice irony. But its still not right to lash at someone even if this person really fell for it.

Captain Bananoz!!!

Smash Rookie
LOL, so many people saying that BDee isn't important enough, but at least he has a more unique moveset than Toad, which is really what Sakarai is looking for.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
So is time to mess with other comunitys/characters for no reason at all? ... again? :rolleyes:
LOL, so many people saying that BDee isn't important enough, but at least he has a more unique moveset than Toad, which is really what Sakarai is looking for.
Toad can FREAKING WALK ON WALLS!!!! come on :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom