• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It would be a thing because that's how the game's set up. Each player is assigned a colour, and that colour is automatically assigned to any character that that player is controlling. That's been made clear in promotional materials since the game's reveal.

It doesn't necessarily imply multiples of a character, and I'd imagine that there will be cases such as with certain mini-bosses where there will only ever be one that shows up - I don't think that we're going to be seeing a team of Chef Kawasakis, for example, but he'll look different depending on which player-slot has got him.
Indeed. I'm not sure if you'll have multiple Bonkers encounters but he'll change color depending on which Player he is.

D

Deleted member

It would be a thing because that's how the game's set up. Each player is assigned a colour, and that colour is automatically assigned to any character that that player is controlling. That's been made clear in promotional materials since the game's reveal.

It doesn't necessarily imply multiples of a character, and I'd imagine that there will be cases such as with certain mini-bosses where there will only ever be one that shows up - I don't think that we're going to be seeing a team of Chef Kawasakis, for example, but he'll look different depending on which player-slot has got him.

Look at that, a team with more than one Kawasaki.
So now we've established that
a. Players can be the same Helper (which we've already known, honestly).
b. Midbosses such as Bonkers and Kawasaki are not exempt from this.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Being able to have more than one Bandana Dee doesn't mean much to me. Especially since Kirby himself is the same in Adventure Wii.

It just makes me more curious on how we'll play him. He's an oddity.

Also interesting, we still don't know how we'll be able to play each helper without Kirby being present, even though we've seen this already. Maybe Bandana Dee will have something to do with that.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

Look at that, a team with more than one Kawasaki.
I sincerely apologise - I hadn't seen this magazine-scan.

However, this doesn't prove that Bandana Waddle Dee is a Toad-like "species" case, by any stretch of the imagination.

As I said before, with Kirby Battle Royale, they went out of their way to have the character not slot-share with generic Waddle Dees in order to preserve the fact that he is a unique individual.

And, as before, he's been depicted as a unique individual in every single appearance that he's made, and they went out of their way to provide an explanation for the palette-swaps of him in the one case where palette-swaps appeared alongside him - something that they didn't strictly even need to do, because it was plainly just for the multi-player support-character mechanic. The fact that they went out of their way to specify speaks volumes.

The fact is, at the end of the day, Bandana Waddle Dee has been confirmed for Kirby: Star Allies in a roundabout way, by means of a screenshot and some footage of the game's title-screen, and nobody knows how it will work. It does not, however, suggest that he's somehow now a generic species - he never has been, and they've always gone out of their way to make that clear.

D

Deleted member

I sincerely apologise - I hadn't seen this magazine-scan.

However, this doesn't prove that Bandana Waddle Dee is a Toad-like "species" case, by any stretch of the imagination.

As I said before, with Kirby Battle Royale, they went out of their way to have the character not slot-share with generic Waddle Dees in order to preserve the fact that he is a unique individual.

And, as before, he's been depicted as a unique individual in every single appearance that he's made, and they went out of their way to provide an explanation for the palette-swaps of him in the one case where palette-swaps appeared alongside him - something that they didn't strictly even need to do, because it was plainly just for the multi-player support-character mechanic. The fact that they went out of their way to specify speaks volumes.

The fact is, at the end of the day, Bandana Waddle Dee has been confirmed for Kirby: Star Allies in a roundabout way, by means of a screenshot and some footage of the game's title-screen, and nobody knows how it will work. It does not, however, suggest that he's somehow now a generic species - he never has been, and they've always gone out of their way to make that clear.
You're literally arguing a point I'm not even addressing right now. I'm not saying this confirms ANYTHING about him being a species now.
What I am literally saying is that the color implies that more than one player can be Bandana Waddle Dee. Otherwise, they would keep him his normal color like in RtDL instead of making him (and Dedede and Meta Knight) the same color as the player Kirby would be.

As for your Battle Royale point of how they "went out of their way to separate him from the generic Waddle Dee", then why is Sailor Waddle Dee selectable?
Or is he all of a sudden not a unique Waddle Dee like Bandana is?

There was literally no actual point in not giving the playable Waddle Dee a Bandana option, or even making that the DEFAULT.

It'd be one thing if Bandana Dee actually used the spear he's known for, but that would just raise the question why he wasn't playable while a generic Parasol Waddle Dee was, especially since he appears as a sidekick to Kirby in the game.
But he doesn't. He uses a Parasol just like the playable Waddle Dee. So there is no excuse whatsoever why he wasn't a costume option.
-It's not because he uses a different weapon because Parasol in the main campaign.
-It's not because he's a "unique" Waddle Dee because Sailor.

So what's the actual reason?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
You're literally arguing a point I'm not even addressing right now. I'm not saying this confirms ANYTHING about him being a species now.
And you did the same by literally only addressing an example that I prefaced with "I'd imagine" and suffixed with "for example", instead of what I actually said about the way that the game's interface is set up.

What I am literally saying is that the color implies that more than one player can be Bandana Waddle Dee. Otherwise, they would keep him his normal color like in RtDL instead of making him (and Dedede and Meta Knight) the same color as the player Kirby would be.
And what I'm saying is that it doesn't necessarily imply that at all, because the simpler explanation is that the game's interface will remain consistent if, as could be the case, certain major characters become recruitable, because that's how the rest of the game plays.

As for your Battle Royale point of how they "went out of their way to separate him from the generic Waddle Dee", then why is Sailor Waddle Dee selectable?
Or is he all of a sudden not a unique Waddle Dee like Bandana is?
Actually, as has come up in this thread before, all of the slot-sharing playable Waddle Dees in Battle Royale are unique individuals - most of them from various pieces of Kirby 25th Anniversary media.

However, they're generic because none of them have been shown to have any fighting-ability in their source-materials (Sailor Waddle Dee, in particular, is depicted as a nervous sort), but here they're all sharing the same moveset.

Bandana Waddle Dee, meanwhile, had more importance in the game's story than that, which suggests a reason as to why they didn't have him slot-share with the rest.

Perhaps that's not the reason, but that's how it looks from my perspective.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
And you did the same by literally only addressing an example that I prefaced with "I'd imagine" and suffixed with "for example", instead of what I actually said about the way that the game's interface is set up.

And what I'm saying is that it doesn't necessarily imply that at all, because the simpler explanation is that the game's interface will remain consistent if, as could be the case, certain major characters become recruitable, because that's how the rest of the game plays.

Actually, as has come up in this thread before, all of the slot-sharing playable Waddle Dees in Battle Royale are unique individuals - most of them from various pieces of Kirby 25th Anniversary media.

However, they're generic because none of them have been shown to have any fighting-ability in their source-materials (Sailor Waddle Dee, in particular, is depicted as a nervous sort), but here they're all sharing the same moveset.

Bandana Waddle Dee, meanwhile, had more importance in the game's story than that, which suggests a reason as to why they didn't have him slot-share with the rest.

While the Waddle Dees present in this game are all individuals, Bandana Dee is still singled out. Because, well, as Tortilla put it, he's important. At least HAL considers him to be the most important Waddle Dee.

I just like the fact that he appears to be playable or recruitable in SOME form. We just won't know until an official reveal or the game itself launches just how we go about recruiting Bandana Dee. We have yet to see Kirby with a Spear ability and Bandana Dee doesn't gain the "Spear" headwrap when recruited. So that alone invalidates some previous speculation on part of myself that he's on the same level as Chef Kawasaki (to be fair, I imagine if you only had one encounter with Chef Kawasaki, you could replay the level and continuously recruit more versions of him if you wished).

We won't really know until the game launches. From what little we seen of him right now, he sticks out, even among recruitable minibosses.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think you're just over thinking it. We have multiple Kirby's yet we also have just one Kirby. Dunno why he wasn't playable in Battle Royale, I guess being story important and Kirby's ally meant he couldnt play against him elsewhere.

Also we've reached 10 pages. And Bandana Dee is in Star Allies, seemingly playable. We should celebrate

D

Deleted member

It's literally the same thing with Return to Dream Land when not playing as Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee.
Even the SAME EXACT ORDER OF COLOR.

When using one of the OTHER characters (as in, the ones only one player can be), their interface breaks the established interface setup for a unique color that represents said character.

So WHY would it not be the same for Bandana Waddle Dee here if he's a special "only one player can be him" character just like before?

Furthermore, at least I was addressing something you said, even if it wasn't the "main" point.
You literally addressed an argument that I didn't make and had absolutely NOTHING to do with what I was saying whatsoever.

That's not simpler at all.
Rather, that's much more effort in making an illogical stretch, when it's much simpler to assume that he's usable by more than one player just like literally every other character in the game that can be used by multiple players (which we know applies to each of the Helpers at this point, right?) that are color coded and unlike how he worked last time.

It's a poor excuse is what it is.
Especially now that you brought up that ALL of the costumes are supposed to represent unique individuals.

It literally makes no sense whatsoever to NOT have Bandana as either the default instead of an ordinary Waddle Dee or as one of the costume options for said Waddle Dee.

The only valid excuse there could have been was that his weapon is a spear, not a parasol.
But that excuse was thrown out the window with the fact he's using a parasol in the main campaign JUST like the multiplayer ones.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Maybe Bandana Dee isn't playable because it would mess with programming or something, like Allies wouldn't work as playable or something. I mean Axe Knight is Meta Knights ally isn't he? And he's not playable.

Another possibility is that this is a different team with different views on how the character should be handled.

Doesn't matter that much anyway, I'm just happy he's here.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's literally the same thing with Return to Dream Land when not playing as Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee.

When using one of the OTHER characters (as in, the ones only one player can be), their interface breaks the established interface setup for a unique color that represents said character.

So WHY would it not be the same for Bandana Waddle Dee here if he's a special "only one player can be him" character just like before?
Because there are endless potential reasons for what we see in the one image that the entire thing was confirmed with.

For all we know, it's just an Easter Egg on the title-screen, and the in-game colouration is normal.

Furthermore, at least I was addressing something you said, even if it wasn't the "main" point.
You literally addressed an argument that I didn't make and had absolutely NOTHING to do with what I was saying whatsoever.
I was of the impression that I addressed the argument that you've been making the whole time, that Bandana Waddle Dee is not a unique individual and is a Toad-like "species", and him being playable in multiple alts represents multiple individuals, which means that it's not "the" Bandana Waddle Dee in Kirby: Star Allies, but instead "a" Bandana Waddle Dee.

My sincerest apologies for the misunderstanding. That was not my intent.

Rather, that's much more effort in making an illogical stretch, when it's much simpler to assume that he's usable by more than one player just like literally every other character in the game that can be used by multiple players (which we know applies to each of the Helpers at this point, right?) that are color coded and unlike how he worked last time.
It really doesn't seem like more effort on the basis of what we've seen of this game so far. And as above, it might be a complete non-issue relating to the title-screen, which is all that we've even seen.

Was Bandana Waddle Dee playable by multiple people at once last time?

Especially now that you brought up that ALL of the costumes are supposed to represent unique individuals.

It literally makes no sense whatsoever to NOT have Bandana as either the default instead of an ordinary Waddle Dee or as one of the costume options for said Waddle Dee.

The only valid excuse there could have been was that his weapon is a spear, not a parasol.
But that excuse was thrown out the window with the fact he's using a parasol in the main campaign JUST like the multiplayer ones.
I agree that it makes no sense that they didn't use him, but what I stated is not an excuse. It's a fact that they've given him more importance than those other Waddle Dees, both in that game and in all of his other appearances - one of those Waddle Dees was a worker at a coffee-shop, and another was an audience-member at a concert, and that's below the level that Bandana Waddle Dee's been depicted to be.

I don't work for them, so I don't know what their reasons were for having him as the game's deuteragonist but then not having him playable, even with the shared moveset going on. The fact that they differentiate him as they always do would seem to provide at least a somewhat reasonable explanation as to why they opted not to, when all of the rest of the main four were playable.

Anyway, I can see that we're never going to agree on any of this, and I don't want to waste any more of your time, so I'm willing to just leave this here if you wish.

And, my apologies again for the misunderstanding.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

Calm down, Golden.

There's no reason to amp up the offensive on something we know so little about.

I have to agree with NintenRob NintenRob here

I think you're just over thinking it. We have multiple Kirby's yet we also have just one Kirby. Dunno why he wasn't playable in Battle Royale, I guess being story important and Kirby's ally meant he couldnt play against him elsewhere.

Also we've reached 10 pages. And Bandana Dee is in Star Allies, seemingly playable. We should celebrate
This should be considered another win for Bandana Dee. He could have not appeared at all, but he did.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I hope we get new music in Smash Switch instead of the 900th Green Greens remix.
Along with new music, I'd quite like to see a bit of coverage for Kirby 64 myself (not that horrible Zero-Two remix from Brawl, though - the tune's meant to be an epic last-stand, not a boppy rave), as I'm quite fond of it.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
That Zero Two remix is one of my favorites from Brawl, just because I love that theme haha.
I agree that the screams are a bit weird, but I still like it.

Where is C-R-O-W-N-E-D, Massive Hero Sack of Rice?!

D

Deleted member

I hope we get new music in Smash Switch instead of the 900th Green Greens remix.
And not even just Star Allies music. It's criminal that Smash 4 didn't include this masterpiece
Or this one
Makes me pessimistic about the chances that they would include this one

\(°|°)/

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Yeah, Smash 4 was pretty poor with Kirby songs.

They removed Fountain of Dreams and pretty much just added remixes of songs we already had or some world 1 songs.

At least the DLC fixed it slightly.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Star Allies demo is fun.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Oh, btw, something nobody noticed;

Look at about 42 seconds in

There's TWO pink hearts streaking through the sky, one of them's obv going to Kirby, but the other's going to someone else, what if that's Bandana Dee?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Speaking of Bandana Dee in Star Allies... :drifloon:
View attachment 137895
View attachment 137896
Source:
He only appears at the start and the rest of the video is about Amiibo functionality :drwtf:
It's worth noting BD is the Spear Helper rather than someone like Pierce or Lanzer :drflip:
Yay! Personally, I'm just ecstatic he's even here!

Oh, btw, something nobody noticed;

Look at about 42 seconds in

There's TWO pink hearts streaking through the sky, one of them's obv going to Kirby, but the other's going to someone else, what if that's Bandana Dee?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Kirby Star Allies seems to be releasing in a prime time.

No competition for other Switch games, a slight drought, still quite early in the systems lifespan and the promotion it's been receiving (especially in Japan) means it should sell very well, even for Kirby standards. I'd like to see it become the best selling Kirby game perhaps

Also, it's also in a good position for promotion for a hypothetical Smash Switch. It's hard to be sure without any official word, but Smash should at least be in development or start development soon unless they want to wait until the Switches 4th year to release it. So this should hopefully be what they look at for promoting

Even if Kirby has been a bit of an outlier when it comes to promoting recent. (although each smash does have an excuse somewhat)

D

Deleted member

I asked a friend of mine to draw my vision of Bandana Dee's palette swaps, since mine were so poorly done. He gave me permission to post them here

\(°|°)/

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
So, anyone hear about the recent leaks?

Four Worlds????? Really, are you kidding me with this Hal?!
There went my hype for the game... :(

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Maybe...

They're long?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I am happy Dee is playable, but kinda sad Magolor was removed.
I feel like we might see him playable sometime maybe in another game, HAL does have a tendency to use ideas again. I am disappointed that we don't see him and that there's no mention of Adeline

smashkirby

Smash Hero

From what I've read, the levels are VERY long, so I don't think you'll need to worry about this being a short Kirby game.

IKR? Though I don't really see what's wrong with the translation, it seems oddly kind of charming in that sort of cute Kirby way.
Personally, I think the translation works perfectly. I wonder why Reserved was saying it's weird?

I am happy Dee is playable, but kinda sad Magolor was removed.
While I like Magolor, I don't think I'm that broken up over the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed, but B.D. being playable in a more "traditional" Kirby game again, is making me pretty hype.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
It's true there are only 4 worlds, but the 4th world is basically milky way wishes on steroids, it sounds pretty large.

D

Deleted member

Any updates on the datamine?

\(°|°)/

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Any updates on the datamine?

\(°|°)/
Yeah, pretty much everything you can think of has been spoiled.
Most of the stuff can be found here, be warned though, it'll spoil practically everything:
http://reserved-kirby.tumblr.com/post/171577738245/kirby-star-allies-datamine-findings-spoilers

The game has a difficulty slider for Arena, there's only 4 worlds but the 4th world is basically milky way wishes on steroids, there's 40 levels overall. The villains are in fact a cult, they're the "masters of a matter most dark" and their god is called "Void Termina", termina probably being based off of terminate or terminal, so it's English name essentially means empty end or complete nothingness. It's Japanese name is "Nil End", Nil meaning zero or nonexistant, End means end obviously. We don't know what Void Termina looks like yet but we got a lot of information on it from it's many info text boxes. Seriously, this thing has an insane amount of pause screen text.

"Rise! Oh, Dark Lord of Despair!
Crush the stars! Lay waste to care!
Rise and cover the land in sorrows!
May your symphony of emptiness
bring the end of all tomorrows!

Rise! Oh, Dark Lord of Despair!
Upon your wing, dark judgment bring!
May your symphony of tragedy
cause the end of everything!

The shocking true form of Void Termina has been
revealed! Born from the total absence of care
and composed of dark energy, he has awakened
from a state of mere existence to that of true
sentience. He now desires only one thing…
to CRUSH all opposition!

As the spring breeze blows, a young traveler appears.
After greeting new friends and bidding farewell
to old ones, his path has finally led him here.
Let’s beat this guy already! –After that, lunch and a nap!
[note: this is Kirby talking]

Rise and cover the land in sorrows!
May your symphony of emptiness
bring the end of all tomorrows!

Upon your wing, dark judgment bring!
May your symphony of tragedy
cause the end of everything!

Hatred, obsession, jealousy, greed… The darkness
gathered by Hyness has transformed into a corrupt
power within Void Termina that conflicts with his newly
forged soul. Chaos descends, but…you’ll be OK.
The Star Allies have your back! "

Here's the big ones.

"Hyness did not fully grasp how to completely
break the seal. All that was written about
Void Termina in the ancient scrolls was that
the progenitor of darkness was vanquished by
four heroes of yore, using four spears of the
heart. After that, they were never seen again."

"No telling if it’s true, but according to the ancient scrolls,
Void Termina may rise again in other forms depending
on whether positive or negative energy is gathered.
It seems this being of darkness will wander the galaxy
until one day he is reborn into a new existence.
When he returns, hopefully it will be as…a friend."

Void Termina was killed/defeated long ago before it's revival in this game but it has the ability to continually come back to life and manifest as different entities. Gee, I wonder what kind of entity Mr. Void became before this game? It'd probably have a similar name to Void that means the exact same thing like empty, null, nil or hey, Zero. With the whole "We, masters of a matter most dark" line and Void/Nil meaning the same thing as Zero, it sounds like Void Termina is Zero's original form/incarnation, or that it's the Demise to Zero's Ganon.

Also about the "When he returns, hopefully it will be as…a friend." thing.

Perhaps it already happened. :awesome:
Masters of a matter most dark.jpg

These are supposedly the cultists Zan Partizanne and Hysen in some spooky form that resembles their god, Void Termina. Pretty cool designs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom