• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Band-Wagon?

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of DLC characters, and with Roy, Ryu, and Lucas in smash, it really has made it interesting. However, that being said, a lot of people (not all), have decided that they're all of a sudden going to main one of the DLC characters. I understand that they're fun, new, and exciting, but it's sad to see a lot of people I know dropping their characters, in a blink of an eye. Granted, a lot of people are staying true to their mains, like I'm sure most of you are doing, I just feel like everyone is jumping on the band wagon and switching mains, simply because they're new and flashy.

On a side note, I understand they just came out, and the hype for them will die down over time, but it's ridiculous. All I see on FG now is Ryu, Lucas, and Roy.

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
You might be right, but it seems like a lot of people too are interested in finding out the fundamentals of Ryu, Roy and Lucas against the rest of the roster - just look at the SSB4 WiiU/3DS Character Discussion Boards.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You play FG to get better. Of course you're going to encounter people using dlc characters, regardless of their motives. If everyone was bandwagoning the dlc characters, we'd have a lot more mewtwo players.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
You play FG to get better. Of course you're going to encounter people using dlc characters, regardless of their motives. If everyone was bandwagoning the dlc characters, we'd have a lot more mewtwo players.
"a lot of people (not all)," Also I play FG to get better at the moment, because I don't have a choice. Also I did mention that I understand they all just came out, so it's fair that I run into a lot of them on FG.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's just a fad, really. Give it a week or so. Everything should go back to normal. Those are adamant about maining them will do so, the rest will go back to their characters.

:231:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've been waiting for Roy to come back since Melee, I ain't bandwagonnin nuthin. That said, since I've been spending so much time on ZSS and Palutena, and plus I really like them anyways, Roy is being relegated as a secondary, a very oft-played secondary.

tr3v

Smash Cadet
NNID
TR3V07
3DS FC
4871-5923-4364
The characters are all fun to play, Ryu especially. But, the same thing happened with Mewtwo. The hype has already died down for him, so it shouldn't take much longer for the new DLC, either.

D

Deleted member

The hype will die down soon enough. I know I picked up Roy as a main and Lucas as a secondary (I can't play Ryu too well) but I haven't dropped any of my other mains like Lucina. Yes I've been playing a lot of Roy but that's because I want practice with him.
I do agree though it is kinda sad that people drop their mains in favor of new characters but it's just a lot of hype at the moment.
It didn't take long for the hype with Mewtwo to die down so it probably won't last long with these guys either.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It probably seems a lot worse now since it's the first week. You have to remember, a lot of people have been waiting to main these characters and have been using another main as a substitute (well, maybe not for Ryu) until now. It seems like bandwagon hopping, but honestly it's nothing more than a mass migration.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Why would you care how other people choose play the game?

カワシさん

I personally agree it is kind of sad but you still find lots of Ganons, CFs, and LMs. Plus, this won't happen too much since not everyone has a Nintendo Network ID or the money to buy DLC. The only DLC I want is the Whispy Woods, Roy, and Lucas (maybe). If I ever got them, I'd still stick to my mains. Also, a lot of DLC losers don't know what they're doing, and are just hopping on the bandwagon, so easy wins. I will admit, I have seen quite a few good DLC users. One was using Roy like a pro, and we were trading wins and lossesl

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I'm yet to see a Lucas online, but every match is Roy or Ryu. My guess is because he seems to be the weakest of the trio, I know I can't do anything with him.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Well Roy was one of my favorites in Melee, and Lucas was in Brawl. I totally plan to keep playing them much more again.

Ryu is new and exciting, so I'll play around with him as well to figure him out, like I do every character.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think it will wear out, but all three of them as well seem to be very good characters, which could be another reason everyone is picking them. I'd say tournament viable if I knew enough about competitive play, but to me they all seem very good. I wanted so badly for Lucas and Roy to come back and Ryu is a very interesting, unique character. I'm sticking with Link as my main for now but Lucas and Roy are definitely up there for my most used characters.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I think its weird you call it band wagoning, these characters aren't free and two are from the past games so why wouldn't they use them? your use of the term "band wagoning" implies that the characters have always been in smash 4 and no one used them until an exploit or cool tech involving them surfaced. the DLC has been out for 3 days so you can't expect people to be gods with characters they just picked and you cant really expect them to know wether or not they wanna continue to use them.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I've been taking advantage of the fad by going to Spectator Mode online and betting against every Ryu, Lucas, and every Roy that isn't a Koopaling. I won over a quarter million gold, 20 Crazy Orders passes, and other goodies just Sunday evening alone. Last night I barely won half that. Now today the newcomers are starting to adapt and actually win some matches.

So I say enjoy the fad while you can, and capitalize on it.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'd say it's mostly a fad, the same thing happened with Mewtwo for a week or two. Within the next few weeks, you'll probably see the crossroad happen again, where people either remain content with how their new main feels and stay with them, or they will decide that the character really doesn't feel like they thought they would in-game, and hence, go back to their old mains.

As a few have pointed out, it's important to remember that Roy and Lucas (and Mewtwo when he was released) have had a fan-base since Melee and Brawl that was suddenly told to **** off more or less when their mains did not show up in the next instalment, and were forced to make do with other characters to main thinking full-well that their precious Roy, Mewtwo and Lucas were never going to be seen again. Of course, in the end they were wrong, so naturally they're going to want to go back to these characters like before... If not to main, then at least to try out.

As for Ryu, he's a whole different can of worms, since he is brand new, and unlike any other character we currently have. So naturally, you will have intrigued people taking him into the lab to see what he can do. These individuals too, will reach that same crossroad however that I mentioned above, and either like him or won't, and move on accordingly.

Then there's what @ D David Wonn did, which is pure genius :p

Last edited:

OnettGirl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Antagonistgreen
3DS FC
4742-5570-4170
I don't think people are dropping their mains so much as they are just trying out the new character. I mean, you paid for that character your going to try them out. If you happen to like their playstyle then, cool you might have found a new main. If not, oh well, time to go back to your old main.

You also have a side of players that know they are going to main a DLC character when they are announced, despite how potentially good or bad they are. Just look at the Mewtwo mains that are still left. That's a different kind of dedication that you have to be a bit more mentally prepared for. I'm kinda in that boat. I might main Ness but the moment I seen Lucas was announced I knew he was going to a main, because I like him as a character. And the moment I seen Roy I knew i'd pick him up too because I liked him in Melee and the little bit of PM I played[ and again I like him as a character]. Have I dropped Ness as a main? No, and I probably never will [he too stronk]. Some people just have a preference towards characters based on things other than their viability or their playstyle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom