• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banana-Canceled Rocketbarrel Boost (with projectile list)

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Maybe this will make people think twice about using bananas against Diddy. Maybe this will make projectile spammers think twice as well. I'm sure going to use this.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
All they have to do is shield it...it's a good way to rack up %s on yourself though.
They have both a banana and a rocketbarrel coming at the same time. obviously it's not going to do damage, but it limits their approach as their forced to shield.

You don't do any damage to yourself. There's no reason not to do this when you're up on stocks and have nothing to lose.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
They have both a banana and a rocketbarrel coming at the same time. obviously it's not going to do damage, but it limits their approach as their forced to shield.

You don't do any damage to yourself. There's no reason not to do this when you're up on stocks and have nothing to lose.
uh you risk letting the other player having a come back TRYING to KO with a rocket. What is the logic in that? Unless it's for fun.

Player-1

Smash Legend

Agreed with Noir, the Pikachu came back from 70% to 120%? I watched the video yesterday so I don't remember completely, but it didn't seem to help a lot

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Agreed with Noir, the Pikachu came back from 70% to 120%? I watched the video yesterday so I don't remember completely, but it didn't seem to help a lot
Didn't you hear what they were saying? Even if you don't understand Japanese, the tone of their voice makes it pretty clear it's just a friendly. The video was for the purpose of demonstration, as was made clear. It was to prove how easy it is to cancel your barrels. The video was made only a few hours after Gano figured out how to do the technique. With practice, do you really think it will be that awkward to use it?

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Didn't you hear what they were saying? Even if you don't understand Japanese, the tone of their voice makes it pretty clear it's just a friendly. The video was for the purpose of demonstration, as was made clear. It was to prove how easy it is to cancel your barrels. The video was made only a few hours after Gano figured out how to do the technique. With practice, do you really think it will be that awkward to use it?
Whats the difference if neutral B's are hitting you in a friendly or a serious match? lol does the damage change?

Realistically, it's not a very useful technique.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Whats the difference if neutral B's are hitting you in a friendly or a serious match? lol does the damage change?

Realistically, it's not a very useful technique.
The fact that it was a friendly meant that he wasn't using it defensively or for mindgames, but just to mess around with his opponent. Used conservatively, the neutral B wouldn't hit you. Either way, the normal Rocketbarrel cancel has been known for a while. The point was to show the BCR. This is not a match-deciding technique. It's just fun to do.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea, I'm gonna start using barrals to counter projectiles like Pit's arrows/pika's thingy.

What other projectiles discharge the rockets? Falco's doesn't.
So far I know:
Pit's arrows
Peach's turnips
Pikachu's jolts

edddddie

Smash Cadet
if i haven't said this before, i'll say it now: this is boss
i actually got a kill with the rocket because my friend was so surprised to get hit he didn't ASDI and he died

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
My freind **** himself as a rocket flew at him today from chucking a banana at me, it was funny but most of the time the banana is too close to the enemy to attempt. It's a good way to get killed by chargin at a banana with a recovery.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
i cant do it...T.T its hard... even though my friend through down the nanaers, i just fly Up instead of discharging.... my friend has also tried wit DD and me as DD. nio work.. any tips on how to do it correcrtly?

o i also stand close to tehe nana and try not the slip but i do T.T

fkacyan

Smash Hero
God, this has proven useful against characters with ranged attacks they use a lot. I wish there was a more foolproof way to determine the trajectory of rocket, but eh, it's good enough.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Yea, I'm gonna start using barrals to counter projectiles like Pit's arrows/pika's thingy.

What other projectiles discharge the rockets? Falco's doesn't.
So far I know:
Pit's arrows
Peach's turnips
Pikachu's jolts
so pretty much something with "physical" properties?
would that include waddle dees?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
We need a list of things that cause the barrels to fly off.

For instance, Mario/Luigi fireballs...do they do it?

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
as soon as i get to my wii i'll do testing on every projectile and come back w/ a list of the projectiles that will and won't work. i'll do it tomorrow.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Wow this is nice, this can be a great counter for those who steal bananas

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
>_<
Am i imagining things or can you control the barrels when they're a wall. Because one time my friend missed the upB and the barrels came lose and i said " dude you can control them with the joy stick" and he was like "ok"... i thought i was lying but the we were playing a 4 FFA and his diddy went down w/ the barrels loose, and he hit my other friend and won and said " good thing you told me about controlling them [barrels]".
So can you control the barrels? Or is it just to early for me?

Neb

Smash Lord
Heat-seeking barrels, ftw. But from my own personal experience, I've had the barrel literally chase my character after gimping Diddy, I think it may just be a coincidence.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
Heat-seeking barrels, ftw. But from my own personal experience, I've had the barrel literally chase my character after gimping Diddy, I think it may just be a coincidence.
Are they seeker barrels, cause i know what you mean about chasing your opponent. Doing turns in the air until it crashes, but my friend says he controlled it?

Coincidence...heh.

Edoksil

Smash Rookie
I tried this a few times and couldn't get it to work. I thought I was as close to the banana as I could be without tripping but I guess not. I would love to be able to master this and just freak people out. No one would know wtf to do.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
It is a coincidence, the barrels will always fly in the direction of your opponent.

It takes a bit of practice, but this is much more useful than deploying the barrels against your opponents' projectiles because you will not take any damage.

Edited the first post with ice_cream_man's list of projectiles.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
oh two more projectile's that work are snake's up smash and zamus's suit parts. i just didn't try those my first attempt. also, i know that I added them to the list but I'm not sure if wario's waft and sheik's chain are technically projectiles. my bad about those and thanks for the credit.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Why did you bump this thread?

Diddy has heavy armor in his upB while charging. I think Diddy can take 3 % damage attacks (doesn't matter how often you hit him), but everything that does more than 3 % (including decimals, so 3.001 will also hit him out) will hit him out of it =/

Charizards flamethrower will not hit Diddy out of his upB when Diddy starts at 0 %. After Diddy has got enough damage he will get hit out of it though. I think it's about 65 %... but only if he's near enough. If he's far enough away from Charizard he won't get hit out of it...

He will never get hit out of upB from Falcos lasers though, not even at 100+ %. Strange.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
its still a good refresher for the players who completly forgot about abusing Diddy Kongs Rocketbarrel. There were times where I forgot to use the Rocket Barrel against a spammy Pikachu with thunderjolts and it cost me the match because of that. Not to mention we were playing in Lylat Cruise

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its still a good refresher for the players who completly forgot about abusing Diddy Kongs Rocketbarrel. There were times where I forgot to use the Rocket Barrel against a spammy Pikachu with thunderjolts and it cost me the match because of that. Not to mention we were playing in Lylat Cruise
o.o dude a free 18-35% should always be on ur mind man O-o especially against projectile whores like the links and pickachu. should be always on ur mind as long with when someone has ur nanners as well.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
as long as you dont rely on rocketbarreling to much and be able to anticipate whats coming. If you rocket barrel before the player shoots out the projectile your screwed because that player will combo you like crazy from here on out. Eventually the player will stop spamming the projectiles and they could airdodge if they have a quick reaction to the barrels flying at your face.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
mindgames is the only key here mate. because likewise when im facing diddy dittos i hold their bananas and they will expect me to throw it. i dnt. they rocketbarrel into the sky. then **** o-o. its all mindgames and being unpredictible. otherwise case close and ty for reminder :3 it should spark some new diddy minds about this tech.

Top Bottom