• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon Fighter For Smash 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thats just freaking awesome.

Balloons gimmicks have a great ground to work and we can definitely have at least 4 characters with that feature.
I also think villager acutally gives some hope on the character, but in my opinion, takamaru takes the lead in this smash.

Maybe next time, but i support anyways, pls.
Thanks ^_^

Although I'd really like to see Balloon Fighter as well, at this point he's probably my retro of choice (though there are many good retro picks), I dunno about four characters having a balloon gimmick. Obviously I'm a proponent that any character can be unique if enough effort is put in to the creation of the moveset, but I can't even think of four notable, plausible characters with balloon gimmicks, unless you want to be a little abstract and include characters like Jigglypuff. Especially since Sakurai unfortunately had a hard enough time trying to come up with a single moveset for Balloon Fighter (which honestly isn't that difficult, I don't know why a balloon pump never occurred to him).

As for the Villager, idealistically I'd like to say his direct use of Balloon Fighter's little flappy, flying gimmick wouldn't impact his chances, but to be realistic, this does look like, if not a nail in the coffin for BF's future in Smash, then something pretty darn close. It'd be a different story if BF was known for more things than his relatively paltry staple of attacks (though Nintendo Land admittedly did help a little), but considering the Villager directly and shamelessly duplicated Balloon Fighter's most well known quality, I'd say Sakurai thinks that's the best, and perhaps only, way BF can be implemented.

Perhaps he'll be an AT though. He could float around and stop on characters when they jump up, spiking them back down with his pointy shoes. Maybe with the minor but still notable splash Nintendo Land made, his fortunes will at least allow him that much.

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks ^_^

Although I'd really like to see Balloon Fighter as well, at this point he's probably my retro of choice (though there are many good retro picks), I dunno about four characters having a balloon gimmick. Obviously I'm a proponent that any character can be unique if enough effort is put in to the creation of the moveset, but I can't even think of four notable, plausible characters with balloon gimmicks, unless you want to be a little abstract and include characters like Jigglypuff. Especially since Sakurai unfortunately had a hard enough time trying to come up with a single moveset for Balloon Fighter (which honestly isn't that difficult, I don't know why a balloon pump never occurred to him).

As for the Villager, idealistically I'd like to say his direct use of Balloon Fighter's little flappy, flying gimmick wouldn't impact his chances, but to be realistic, this does look like, if not a nail in the coffin for BF's future in Smash, then something pretty darn close. It'd be a different story if BF was known for more things than his relatively paltry staple of attacks (though Nintendo Land admittedly did help a little), but considering the Villager directly and shamelessly duplicated Balloon Fighter's most well known quality, I'd say Sakurai thinks that's the best, and perhaps only, way BF can be implemented.

Perhaps he'll be an AT though. He could float around and stop on characters when they jump up, spiking them back down with his pointy shoes. Maybe with the minor but still notable splash Nintendo Land made, his fortunes will at least allow him that much.
I honestly wouldn't mind if he was an assist trophy, in fact, I think that it is a great idea. As you stated, it would be ideal to proclaim that Villagers move-set is irrelevant to his inclusion; however, I believed something quite similar in regards to Toad. It didn't turn out too well.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Villager, Ballon Fighter, Tingle, Alice.
4 characters, maybe one clone but whats the problem? i think "4" is the magic number for any type of characters, "4 players with the same gimmick fighting each other", pure awesomeness.

I honestly dont see the problem... moveset? IC was harder to tought in my opinion, and they work sooooo well.
BF is not too supported like other characters, thats the only real problem i see, and sakurai knows it, so, villager should be good for now.

For me, is more like a promise, assuming this is not the last smash game he makes at least.

Morbi

Scavenger
Villager, Ballon Fighter, Tingle, Alice.
4 characters, maybe one clone but whats the problem? i think "4" is the magic number for type of characters, "4 players with the same gimmick fighting each other", pure awesomeness.

I honestly dont see the problem... moveset? IC was harder to tought in my opinion, and they work sooooo well.
BF is not too supported like other characters, thats the only real problem i see, and sakurai knows it, so, villager should be good for now.

For me, is more like a promise, assuming this is not the last smash game he makes at least.
I am glad that Sakurai revealed Villager's Ballon Fighter-esque move. I would be supporting Ballon Fighter only to find disappointment. I have wanted him for a long time.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It looks big, so I am going to go with Ridley. :awesome:

It's actually a Smick from Gyromite for the NES.

They're main weakness/ favorite food is turnips, therefore the reason why this certain Smick holds one. Also, it's this thing, apparently:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
It's actually a Smick from Gyromite for the NES.

They're main weakness/ favorite food is turnips, therefore the reason why this certain Smick holds one. Also, it's this thing, apparently:

lol i thought it was a wario character or something xD

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was noteworthy that a few days ago, when Sakurai revealed the SSB4 bumper, that he specifically said the flipper would not be available. Part of me wonders if he was being mysterious/coy, and his message is saying more than it seems.

Perhaps the flipper is not available as an item that anyone can use, but it could still be a move of Balloon Fighter.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I thought it was noteworthy that a few days ago, when Sakurai revealed the SSB4 bumper, that he specifically said the flipper would not be available. Part of me wonders if he was being mysterious/coy, and his message is saying more than it seems.

Perhaps the flipper is not available as an item that anyone can use, but it could still be a move of Balloon Fighter.
Not a bad idea....

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

I always thought it'd be a neat idea if the Balloon Fighter were to use a flipper not only as a projectile/trap, but also as a bludgeoning melee object of sorts, should he become playable.

Last edited:

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Balloon Fighter was always a good retro choice for me. They promote that game for no reason (the time it was 30 cents, Nintendoland, being featured in Game Center, and being a big game to Iwata). Too bad about Villager's up special though. But I really don't mind about who gets in because Brawl pretty much had everyone who needed to be added except for an AC rep, Mega Man, and a 3rd DK rep, which will happen in the final product.

Speculator

Smash Ace

I thought of Balloon Fighter when he mentioned that, too. I'm honestly not sure why he felt the need to clarify that bumpers means there will be no flippers, since flippers haven't been in SSB since Melee and I don't think anybody was really expecting them to return. I'm still no longer considering a playable Balloon Fighter since Villager has essentially seized his key feature, but perhaps there will be a Balloon Fight stage with flippers as part of the scenery?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm against Balloon Fighter because his game was essentially a Joust clone and I don't think Sakurai should waste "slots" on more clones.

(Smash logic)

Speculator

Smash Ace
They can just give him another option for an Up Special that isn't too similar to Villager.
It's not solely about his recovery. To properly represent Balloon Fight, Balloon Fighter's entire playstyle would have been centered around those balloons. They're his defining characteristic.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm still no longer considering a playable Balloon Fighter since Villager has essentially seized his key feature. . .
Ah, Balloon Fighter. Would have loved him in Smash. Too bad Villager has his balloons. :(
Too bad about Villager's up special though.
It does look this way, however a lot of people lost faith that Little Mac would appear when this picture was revealed:

Perhaps Sakurai is trying to throw us off the track again.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
It does look this way, however a lot of people lost faith that Little Mac would appear when this picture was revealed:

That's a bit different. Boxing gloves can be used by multiple characters (Miis, Little Mac, King K. Rool, any boxer from Punch-Out!!, Villager). Balloon Fighter's specific helmet with balloons attached to it- not really.

Speculator

Smash Ace

I thought someone might mention that. @ APC99 APC99 is right, though. The helmet and balloons are central to Balloon Fighter in a way that ordinary boxing gloves are not central to Little Mac. Mac is much more than just his gloves, but the balloons define Balloon Fighter's abilities as a character. Like I said in the post above yours, those balloons would needed to have been the central focus of BF's entire playstyle if he was going to be a truly unique fighter.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
You and
That's a bit different. Boxing gloves can be used by multiple characters (Miis, Little Mac, King K. Rool, any boxer from Punch-Out!!, Villager). Balloon Fighter's specific helmet with balloons attached to it- not really.
I thought someone might mention that. @ APC99 APC99 is right, though. The helmet and balloons are central to Balloon Fighter in a way that ordinary boxing gloves are not central to Little Mac. Mac is much more than just his gloves, but the balloons define Balloon Fighter's abilities as a character. Like I said in the post above yours, those balloons would needed to have been the central focus of BF's entire playstyle if he was going to be a truly unique fighter.
Hmm, you guys make valid points.
However, for the sake of argument, I'll try out a few rejoinders:

• Balloon Fighter's playstyle still could be unique, regardless. When playing Balloon Fight, you notice that the controls are very "floaty." Understandably. Sakurai mentioned that he pays close attention to how fighters move and why they move the way they do in their games (and how it translates to Smash Bros.). The Villager, despite the helmet, could still have a very "grounded" feel. Him (the Villager) using the balloon helmet may feel like nothing more than a brief recovery, whereas the Balloon Fighter could feel more like he was meant for the sky (Jigglypuff, for example, is an excellent battler in the air).
  • If Sakurai has no qualms with putting in clones, surely he wouldn't mind a copied/duplicate/clone move for a character or two.
  • Other characters--the Ice Climbers, for example, are retro but are hardly one-dimensional. While not totally obvious, the Balloon Fighter could use a host of moves such as the flipper, lightning bolt, and big fish for moves that don't need balloons.
I admit it seems dubious, and frankly the Balloon Fighter isn't even in my top five of requested new characters (though I would love him in), but I'm just playing Devil's advocate.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It seems that Balloon Fight is a stage, I'm starting to have that feeling of Sakurai trolling.
Wouldn't be surprised.

Balloon Fight is a very notable NES-only game that would be a prime target for Sakurai to want to work with.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
What i dont understand is why the flipper is not an item again.
Is already an stage gimmick, come on...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Remember that we can buy Balloon Fight on the 3DS eShop.... so it isn't exactly exclusive to the NES.

I am doubtful that Balloon Fighter would get in since we clearly saw Villager's Up+B (called Balloon Trip) in action today.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Well, I guess there is a 50/50. I also think the Villager Up-B doesn't mean much. We thought Mac was gone after the. boxing agloce move from Villager and BAM.

Edit: Saw Speculators post. Ok...

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Balloon Fighter has a stage right? I'd say it's likely he is a hazard there, like 75m's falling trampolines. They'd be annoying pieces of crap that fling you off the screen even though they shouldn't. Maybe a boss like yellow devil. Pop his balloons and he goes away for a while.

Last edited:

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
With that moveset by SirKebble, I see no reason why he shouldn't be added.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I believe deep in my heart that both Balloon Fight and Ice Climber will get modern reboots like Kid Icarus. Once that happens, there will be no stopping our little guy.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I believe that BF is still not dead. Balloon Fight as a stage gives me hope, not to mention plenty of characters use the same moves in past titles: Fox/Falco/Wol, Pikachu/Pichua, Marth/Roy, Link, Young Link/Toon Link. Let us not give up hope!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Why do everyone thinks that little mac increases balloon fighter chances? Because of Villager?
Villager was only shown throwing a few punches with boxing gloves but throwing punches doesn't mean that you are boxer so Mac was never affected by villager in reality but what do balloon fighter do? Flying with balloons, I want to make clear than I'm indifferent towards balloon fighter but saying that little mac increased his chances is ridiculous

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm shocked this thread didn't blow up when Little Mac was revealed :laugh:
Me too.
I've pretty much lost faith in their being many characters; the leak with only Chrom yet to be revealed seems a bit too accurate for me, due to all information revealed; except, that it is a crap roster and seems to just be another rendition of the game to have it, without much in it.

I was a huge proponent of all the ways he could have been trolling for Brawl. But for this game, it is all or nothing. Tons of misleading, with small loopholes of 'this may change,' or- none at all.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Why do everyone thinks that little mac increases balloon fighter chances? Because of Villager?
Villager was only shown throwing a few punches with boxing gloves but throwing punches doesn't mean that you are boxer so Mac was never affected by villager in reality but what do balloon fighter do? Flying with balloons, I want to make clear than I'm indifferent towards balloon fighter but saying that little mac increased his chances is ridiculous

Jk.

But seriously, One Move is ONE FREAKING move. Whether or not Mac's inclusion has anything to do with BF, Villager uses one move apiece on those refernces.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Jk.

But seriously, One Move is ONE FREAKING move. Whether or not Mac's inclusion has anything to do with BF, Villager uses one move apiece on those refernces.
The problem with this is that Villager the only thing that Balloon fighter does, he even uses two red balloons just like the fighter, he is not deconfirmed but in reality balloon fighter is in a different position than little mac

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The problem with this is that Villager the only thing that Balloon fighter does, he even uses two red balloons just like the fighter, he is not deconfirmed but in reality balloon fighter is in a different position than little mac
The only thing?

Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac - all of them only go one thing in their series. How much harder is it to work with BF?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
The only thing?

Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac - all of them only go one thing in their series. How much harder is it to work with BF?
Because that is literally the only thing he do, apparently it is hard to Sakurai as villager just stole his main move, his balloons are of the same color as the ones balloon fighter moves, he moves like balloon fighter moves and even makes the same sounds that balloon fighter does, like I said before he is not deconfirmed but saying that little mac increased his chances is ridiculous

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Because that is literally the only thing he do, apparently it is hard to Sakurai as villager just stole his main move, his balloons are of the same color as the ones balloon fighter moves, he moves like balloon fighter moves and even makes the same sounds that balloon fighter does, like I said before he is not deconfirmed but saying that little mac increased his chances is ridiculous
Little Mac only punches. Literally.

2deep4you?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Little Mac only punches. Literally.

2deep4you?
Little Mac is a boxer which is considered a martial art and it isn't just throwing punches actually, fair enough, I didn't come here to say that ballon fighter is deconfirmed because he isn't, just to say that little mac didn't increase his chances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom