• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balance Patch - Will it help Olimar? What should be changed?

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this has to be discussed with a character focus.

First of all:
Do you think the balance patch will also work on the custom moves?
Especially the broken Down B 2 would be nice if they were to fix it. The reason should be obvious: If not, the move will probably be banned on tournaments(maybe only on doubles; maybe even on singles).

Do you think Olimar needs certain buffs?
Well I feel like the pikmins could still be a bit more intelligent and that you can really 100% rely on them. Most of the time on the WiiU, it works pretty good. However coming back from the ledge, I feel like often pikmins aren't ready for a grab or a smash attack. Also it happens sometimes that shieldgrab misses the ennemy.

Do you think the character needs some sort of nerf?
Honestly I don't see anything that needs to be nerfed.

Why may Olimar be buffed?
I guess one thing speaking for the character himself is the fact, that somehow almost nobody plays him. He's one of the characters you barely see once in a lifetime in for glory. He got buffed in the patch 1.0.4(I believe) which could be a thing too.

However there is also a good chance in my opinion that nothing will change at all for Olimar. I feel like the balance patch is more in order to make sure Mewtwo will fit the roster well and not be too bad or too good. And I feel like there is no way Olimar will get nerfed.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Well I feel like the pikmins could still be a bit more intelligent and that you can really 100% rely on them. Most of the time on the WiiU, it works pretty good. However coming back from the ledge, I feel like often pikmins aren't ready for a grab or a smash attack. Also it happens sometimes that shieldgrab misses the ennemy.
In regards to how Pikmin work you can usually avoid these issues by paying attention to how you move. Certain movement near ledges or in general can desync them. As for the grab, that's just how the Pikmin work, would take a bit more to fix that.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I feel like the only buffs that I want for Oli is a slight damage buff for non-white Pikmin Throw (like 1.3 per hit, 1.7 might be too much) and higher priority on smash attacks, though I'm probably asking too much for the latter.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I feel like the only buffs that I want for Oli is a slight damage buff for non-white Pikmin Throw (like 1.3 per hit, 1.7 might be too much) and higher priority on smash attacks, though I'm probably asking too much for the latter.
The latter would only be fixed if they changed how Pikmin are considered as items. Then they wouldn't clank in the air, and would stop losing trades all the time. I'd give anything for that change.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Do you think the balance patch will also work on the custom moves?
No, there is no way they balance all the custom moves or at least some of them. Almost impossible to see that patch and if does, I will be very glad to see that o_o.

I think Oli doesn't need buffs rather than some adjustment. IS NOT FAIR that we are the ONLY character in the game that his grab/smash/aerial can fail just because the "part" of "his" body doesn't "exist" (when there are pikmins in line but don't follow you).
It really annoys me that %$/&%!" illogic/absurd fact.

Do you think the character needs some sort of nerf?
No, I don't. It's all mostly the opposite.

Why may Olimar be buffed?
I really believe they won't touch Olimar at all, some kind of "ugh... please, it's decent how it is. Let not risk on fixing that".
But if they do so, it would be because the not fair explanation above.

After reading my answer, the only thing I could think was:
Sakurai pls
Jajajaj

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
In regards to how Pikmin work you can usually avoid these issues by paying attention to how you move. Certain movement near ledges or in general can desync them. As for the grab, that's just how the Pikmin work, would take a bit more to fix that.

This doesn't matter it should still be fixed

Sakurai can keep the clunky pikmin AI in. All I ask is that a regular tilt is not enough to cancel my smash attacks
or jab lol

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
The way Pikmin are programmed I don't believe it can be fixed.
I'm a programmer and almost everything can be improved.
When someone say it can't, most of the time is just laziness, lack of knowledge, or others issues

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I'm a programmer and almost everything can be improved.
When someone say it can't, most of the time is just laziness, lack of knowledge, or others issues
What I meant to say is I'm guessing by how they program Pikmin those problems will be present. You may be right though.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm hoping with all my strength they will fix at least a little bit the Pikmin issue.
I really really put my bet on Nintendo's favor because how I see it, maybe the projectile thing can't be fixed without touching large block of code, but the scatter and the "don't follow" issue can be solved.

Btw, Am I the only one who think they will allow to upload the replay directly on YouTube?

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
About his bad priority, I think it is only a small issue considering he has a projectile that basically walls out all other projectiles due to Pikmin being slightly different in terms of being considered projectiles, (having no base damage means no trade off which means we have a great time in terms of camper vs. camper)

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
About his bad priority, I think it is only a small issue considering he has a projectile that basically walls out all other projectiles due to Pikmin being slightly different in terms of being considered projectiles, (having no base damage means no trade off which means we have a great time in terms of camper vs. camper)
Purples can be clanked with in the air and lose, and the others have no knockback. I wouldn't call that an even trade off.

kirby509

Smash Cadet
I wish they would fix the pikmin. At times, the pikmin priority could be quite stupid.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the blue Pikmin's throws should have a bit more K.O. potential? Because every time I rack up a @#$% ton of damage onto someone (like, around 163%), and use the blue Pikmin's up throw, it flashes with those "Red K.O lightning effect" but doesn't end up killing anyone.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Maybe the blue Pikmin's throws should have a bit more K.O. potential? Because every time I rack up a @#$% ton of damage onto someone (like, around 163%), and use the blue Pikmin's up throw, it flashes with those "Red K.O lightning effect" but doesn't end up killing anyone.
Rage is a large factor for blue uthrow. Not sure what map or character it happens to, but it should kill by that percent. Even more so when you have rage.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Rage is a large factor for blue uthrow. Not sure what map or character it happens to, but it should kill by that percent. Even more so when you have rage.
The stages were this happened were Final Destination and the World Circuit I believe.
But yeah, that tidbit about rage probably factored into those past situations. Thanks!

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
Yeah, I just want a little more priority with my attacks. I think pikmin had a ton of it back in Brawl, but now, Purples are the best we have when it comes to that. I'm not asking for Villager's turnips, but my boys could use a wee bit more respect. Otherwise, Olimar's a totally fine character.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah, I just want a little more priority with my attacks. I think pikmin had a ton of it back in Brawl, but now, Purples are the best we have when it comes to that. I'm not asking for Villager's turnips, but my boys could use a wee bit more respect. Otherwise, Olimar's a totally fine character.
Purples have as much priority as other colors.

kirby509

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I just wish Olimar's pikmin weren't like items. PIKMIN HAVE FEELINGS TOO (even though they die like 10 million times)

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I just wish Olimar's pikmin weren't like items. PIKMIN HAVE FEELINGS TOO (even though they die like 10 million times)
Actually, I really like the way they are portrayed in Smash, the way they work really makes you feel like you're playing Pikmin inside of Super Smash Bros., except with only six or three of them.

Top Bottom