• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bair setups? Lets do it.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Simple: Bair is probably Samus earliest raw KO move. I KO people as low as 110% with is all the time. Its also hard to hit with. Im wondering if there are any ways to setup for it. Right now Im working on bomb to bair. I just lay a bomb, Raigoth cancel it, then do a quick SHFF bair for the KO. If I am not already backwards I do a turn around SHFF bair. It has worked at 4 times for me thus far, but needs to be refined. What else can we come up with?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I never really land a bair without a barrage of missiles before it. On battlefield, I use Screw Attack to reach the top platform, run off the platform, missile cancel on the side platforms, run off the platform, missile cancel on the stage, then follow up with whatever. Usually a zair, but a rar bair could work too. Missile canceling on the same level of ground doesn't really work that well, so you'll need the help of a platform to get better missile placement. It works on other stages too, but I prefer being able to set-up the combo using the Screw Attack+Battlefield's top platform.

Um... I used ledge-jump bair to KO a cypher-ing Snake before. I got nuthin :(

stuntmansteve

Smash Rookie
I like to run off the edge and then jump backwards back onto the stage. From there you have a variety of options. The Bair is the one that we're most interested in, but this is way too simple and easy to avoid if they know that it's coming, which is why you want to preface the Bair by using this same setup for different things. The options that I've found work well are turn around missiles or a Dair. You could also do turnaround uncharged shots or possibly an Uair, but I've had less success with these.

0RLY

mm yeah, after a couple hours of playing, I can honestly say Samus' bair isn't move you can setup. It's more of a move you throw out there and hope your opponent jumps into it :/

navillus

Smash Apprentice
In melee i always set up my bairs with either an uthrow, dthrow, or dtilt. Do any of these still hold true? I'm pretty sure dtilt would work at lower percents.

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
I'm agreeing with Orly.
Bair... not so fun to try and hit.
The timing is just soo annoying.

navillus

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friends call it the mule kick. cause she kicks like a ******* mule when it lands. There are few samus moves that when u land give you that much satisfaction. I love the move.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
How about back throw? It doesn't send your opponent very far at all and you might be able to bait the air dodge and connect.

Her bair should have had a cool sweet spot animation, like instead of electricity like a knee or stiletto it could have been an explosion or something.

0RLY

Lol, that would be soo overpowered. Throwing your foe onto one of battlefield's platforms can set-up for a bair if you predict their roll.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
i think its just the tip of her foot. Also, Today I landed a super missile to bair. It was sexy. I canceled the power missile and just sprinted after it and after it hit I got a SH'd bair. could be good for a mix up and KO.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Rising shorthopped bairs can hit opponents standing on the stage. At the moment, I'm trying to test if I can do it out of shield/spotdodge.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
On more than one occaison, i have landed a super-missile/D-air>SH dull side Back-air>Jump>sweetspot Back-air...let me tell ya it looks sexy.

Super-missles, D-air, U-air, Throws(with platforms) bombs(situational) charge-shots(chase em off into B-air at lower %s) and a few other situational moves.

The only problem with setups, is that your opponent has to LET you land the back air after the initial 'setup hit' in most cases. I think only canceled super missles and D-air can land a (semi)guaranteed B-air at certain percentages.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
well i dont really know any real setups for a Bair besides chasing the oppenent in the air after a Uair, but thats been stated already.

but for uses i do like to SH Bair to take a stab at their shield, then Nair right before i land. people often think because u threw the Bair out its their time to respond with wahtever they got.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't really count as a setup, but whe you chase after a uair, you can wait for the airdodge then throw the bair out and connect.

0RLY

At 110%, which is the ideal % to set this up, your foe would bounce much too high for a bair to land. I test everything before making arguments. o_0

0RLY

The enemy would end up on the ground if the damage is low.

The enemy would bounce up a bit at mid %s, allowing for the combo to work, but not KO.

The enemy would bounce too high for your bair to hit at killing %s.

Unless you're on a walk-off stage and your foe is fat, I doubt this would work well. At mid percents it's good, but it won't KO. Besides, fat charas+walk off stages are generally bad combinations. D3, DK, Bowser, yeah... you're dead meat.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't you be too close to the ground by the time the dair animation stopped to do a bair? And by the time you jump again I would think they would be air dodging or dairing you.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I really like when they are recovering you let them land right on the edge of the stage while you run off the edge, and then you jump back and do a back air. Mindgames! (Ohh did I say that?)

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Tech chase with bair against someone on a platform. It's not really a setup in itself, you can try to bait a reaction using a missile cancel.

Shielding by edges and immediately bairing when someone hits your shield (doesn't work vs multihits, doesn't work if they're too far away).

0RLY

Tech chase with bair against someone on a platform. It's not really a setup in itself, you can try to bait a reaction using a missile cancel.

Shielding by edges and immediately bairing when someone hits your shield (doesn't work vs multihits, doesn't work if they're too far away).
THIS! Now, this works!

Rohins gained 890 exp. points!

Mars-

Smash Champion

Yeah tech chasing with it is fun, but you gotta be able to predict (wait isn't brawl skilless or something?) where they are rolling althought there aren't many options unless they landed in the middle but either way you only have two options of predicting them. You just have to choose which half of the platform you are going to attack.

Top Bottom