• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BaganSmashBros and ko.'s Kustom Kontent - King K. Rool, Kraid and...Metal Face?!

How would you rate each project?

• (K. Rool) Kotally Awesome 5/5

Votes: 166 80.2%
  • (K. Rool) Kool 4/5

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • (K. Rool) ...ok? 3/5

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • (K. Rool) K. Rapp 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K. Rool) Kek 1/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Kraid) Awesomesauce 5/5

Votes: 54 26.1%
  • (Kraid) Very good 4/5

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • (Kraid) Good 3/5

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • (Kraid) Fair 2/5

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • (Kraid) Poor 1/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) ...SMASHING! Hah hah hah 5/5

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • (Metal Face) Acceptable 4/5

Votes: 38 18.4%
  • (Metal Face) Weak! 3/5

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • (Metal Face) Pathetic! 2/5

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • (Metal Face) Worthless! 1/5

Votes: 16 7.7%

• Total voters

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
He made the K. Rool model, I'm pretty sure he can make a helipack and remote lol.
No, somebody made the model for him. That's why the same model is used in the LoL skin mod.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
is it always ice effect or is it random
Always ice. I can make it random, but it might not work well for player.
BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros That's unfortunately because of the way Brawl/PM handles actual freezing hitboxes(weight dependent IIRC). If you want it to launch in a consistent way, you'd have to use the PM Ice Climbers solution. Freeze GFX, no freezing into a block(possibly done by using a normal on hit effect with freeze sound and attack graphic).
That makes the whole thing pointless though. Might as well use a completly different attack.
Hmm, you're gonna need an actual model and texture for K. Rool's heli-pack and remote unless you can manage to make youre own.
I know. Shouldn't be hard to do even for me (they certainly are not as complex as Blunderbuss and thats saying something), but we'll see.
Fixed it for ya.
I also don't want to get too off topic BTW
How is the Process of Metal Face?
90%? 80%? 99%?!
Its not off-topic and i can't tell it in %, but he just needs to have swimming animations, item animations, 2 taunts and 1 victory animation. Maybe i should just finish him since he is pretty much done, but idunno.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Always ice. I can make it random, but it might not work well for player.

That makes the whole thing pointless though. Might as well use a completly different attack.

I know. Shouldn't be hard to do even for me (they certainly are not as complex as Blunderbuss and thats saying something), but we'll see.

Its not off-topic and i can't tell it in %, but he just needs to have swimming animations, item animations, 2 taunts and 1 victory animation. Maybe i should just finish him since he is pretty much done, but idunno.
Not to be rude, but I'd personally rather see progress on K Rool then Metal Face. I have always wanted the King in smash, but Metal Face hasn't been on my wish list until I saw you making him. I'd rather have K Rool finished prior to Metal Face. Just my two cents.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
if k.rool is top priority why is metal face nearly done while k.rool only has a couple moves

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
He [Metal Face] just needs to have swimming animations, item animations, 2 taunts and 1 victory animation. Maybe i should just finish him since he is pretty much done, but idunno.
I think you should finish him up. If Metal Face's progress is where you say it is, it seems like it wouldn't take much more time. His release will keep people occupied for the time being, while you continue work on King K. Rool and Kraid. Halting a character's development at 90% to finish another character that's not near the same level of development, it's kinda iffy. But of course it's totally up to you, I'm just putting in my two cents. :)

Last edited:

IROX568

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'd say finish off metal face first but thats just my opinion.

SoupBalloon

Smash Rookie
I also think that you should finish Metal Face since he is so close. I am pretty biased personally though, because I'm super excited for him to be released.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
I personally don't care for Metal Face, but I agree that if he's that close to being finished, wrapping him up first would be ideal.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I think Bagan should finish Metal Face, only because he's so close to being finished, that it would be unfair to delay his release so that K. Rool can be worked on more.

MazeDIs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GanonGod81
3DS FC
2595-3094-5841
Exactly. It's original. You don't need material to make something up for Black Shadow, you can make an original moveset.

In your case, since you want him to have Ganon's, there's little stopping you from getting a model and fixing it to work with the moveset.

If you don't want the one that's being made, it's okay! You don't have to download it, but it won't stop the developer from working on it.

Now lemme drop this before it becomes a discussion about a project unrelated to Bagan's work.
When did I once say I didn't want him? That's the problem with people on this board, you give an idea, and peole take it the wrong way and add unnecessary snarky comments into their responses.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Knock out Metal Face, it only makes sense. But maybe spare a K. Rool picture every now and then as well? Even just seeing him next to DK and Diddy on stages can bring a big smile to my face. :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Very well then. I'll go back to that a****** with heels (...yeah) and continue working on K. Rool after it.
Knock out Metal Face, it only makes sense. But maybe spare a K. Rool picture every now and then as well? Even just seeing him next to DK and Diddy on stages can bring a big smile to my face. :)
Only if i'll have some progress on him or if someone will request it to see whatever they want like size comparison or stuff like that.

Last edited:

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
Very well then. I'll go back to that a****** with heels (...yeah) and continue working on K. Rool after it.

Only if i'll have some progress on him or if someone will request it to see whatever they want like size comparison or stuff like that.
Just out of curiosity, which animations do you have finished for K Rool?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity, which animations do you have finished for K Rool?
Standing, walking (fast only), running, turning, turning while running, guarding, crouching animations, stopping after running, stopping after turning while running, jumping and air jumping back and forward, landing, jabs, FTilt, UTilt, DTilt, USmash, FSmash, DSmash, Side B and something i forgot.
...urgh...so much to do...and K. Rool isn't even the last one.

Last edited:

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
K. Rool is looking Superb Bagan :-)
Keep up the outstanding work on that crocodile!!

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
This is looking good but I have a few questions and things to point out:

1. Isn't he supposed to have tail? I believe he had a tail in all games no matter how hidden it seemed to be in the Artwork pictures

2. I could be wrong but I think his crown should be a little bigger.....(or wider?) something seems a bit off.

3. I would say that the cape should be longer but that is debatable honestly since DK64 shortened it i think. There was something really cool and king-like about seeing him walk in DKC with his long cape. (Somebody has put a gif of it on here)

4. I'm pretty sure this is WIP thing but his arms have a bit more muscular detail. He goes to the gym.

5. WHAT happened to the gold plated belly from page 3?? ------> View attachment 84600 Did you remove it? It was a great improvement and it was keeping in lines with the epic RARE design rather than the Nintendo filth makeover

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
1. Isn't he supposed to have tail? I believe he had a tail in all games no matter how hidden it seemed to be in the Artwork pictures
Yes, he had it, but author of the model decided to not include it. I don't like that because crocodiles should have tails and other Kremlings have one as well, but can't do much about that.
2. I could be wrong but I think his crown should be a little bigger.....(or wider?) something seems a bit off.
Its already big enough to be impossible to wear.
3. I would say that the cape should be longer but that is debatable honestly since DK64 shortened it i think. There was something really cool and king-like about seeing him walk in DKC with his long cape. (Somebody has put a gif of it on here)
Then it will clip through the ground because Smash never had good model physics. Ganondorf's cape was far longer than it is in Smash, but got shortened for same reasons.
4. I'm pretty sure this is WIP thing but his arms have a bit more muscular detail. He goes to the gym.
Um...im pretty sure thats more than he had in games. He has proper shoulders now.
5. WHAT happened to the gold plated belly from page 3?? ------> View attachment 84600 Did you remove it? It was a great improvement and it was keeping in lines with the epic RARE design rather than the Nintendo filth makeover
Its still here, but its not so shiny now.

Last edited:

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
1. Aren't you the author of the model?
2. Understood
3. That's definitely understandable
4. It might be the angle that i'm looking at it........usually i could always easily distinguish his biceps popping out in artwork and games.
5. But that's the point.....it's always been shiny......if you take away the shine then it looks regular or pretty much like Nindendo Rool.....I can't even tell that it's there like you said where in the games and artwork, it was an immediate thing to notice. What you did the first time was perfect. The way it is now would give the impression in my mind and question if this is some random attempt from a texture modder on kitty forums rather than real deal stuff.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
1. Aren't you the author of the model?
No. Álvaro_WS made it.
5. But that's the point.....it's always been shiny......if you take away the shine then it looks regular or pretty much like Nindendo Rool.....I can't even tell that it's there like you said where in the games and artwork, it was an immediate thing to notice. What you did the first time was perfect. The way it is now would give the impression in my mind and question if this is some random attempt from a texture modder on kitty forums rather than real deal stuff.
Gold isn't THAT shiny and it matches other gold things on characters.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
No. Álvaro_WS made it.

Look, idk if it's gold, bronze or whatever but that belly-chest is F-in shiny as F*** look at these pics (there's even glossy reflections):

Even ingame you can see how shiny it is:

There has always been a strong visual emphasis on his belly shine (Which you actually succeeded in doing the first time! Lmao):

The amount of shine currently put in (as you stated)... :

....leaves him too too close to this:

Edit: I also just realized that the Rare design has a line going down his body from where his chest pecs separate. Unlike the Nintendo look. It seems the mod is missing that belly line too

Last edited:

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
It looks unnaturally shiny in the first picture... Not really Brawl's visual style... I personally like the model because it's more of a fusion of the two, rather than leaning towards one design or the other. You're being pretty critical, considering it's a huge project to undertake. Bagan has a lot to work on, and K Rool isn't even at the top of the list currently. Although I do agree it isn't spot-on to the RARE design, I'm still a fan and excited to see where it's going.

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
It looks unnaturally shiny in the first picture... Not really Brawl's visual style... I personally like the model because it's more of a fusion of the two, rather than leaning towards one design or the other. You're being pretty critical, considering it's a huge project to undertake. Bagan has a lot to work on, and K Rool isn't even at the top of the list currently. Although I do agree it isn't spot-on to the RARE design, I'm still a fan and excited to see where it's going.
Unnatural or not, that is K.Rool before Nintendo redesign. I disagree on me being "pretty critical". I'm discussing something that was evidently achieved. Not something that still hasn't been done. It may possibly seem that way since some would probably think that I used too much pictures (But i felt visual explanation was optimal) or because I made a list of things that I wanted to bring up in which I found the majority of the responses to them to be pretty reasonable. There's a dude making a Nintendo focused K.Rool mod already so there has been word around that this would be the Rare version.

Edit: If this is meant to be a fusion project then I apologize but if it's a Rare design project, then that's why I'm here (In which the only thing that make sense to take from the Nintendo design is the blue jewel on his neck).

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Bagan doesn't even model, maaaaan.
I don't even know if he can texture, all I know is that he can make good fighters, and that's all that matters. Even Ridley doesn't fit Brawl's style, according to Nannybuds, but it's still pretty great.

And besides - Brawlified textures are easy to make anyway.

Last edited:

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Bagan doesn't even model, maaaaan.
I don't even know if he can texture, all I know is that he can make good fighters, and that's all that matters. Even Ridley doesn't fit Brawl's style, according to Nannybuds, but it's still pretty great.

And besides - Brawlified textures are easy to make anyway.
Never said he does model (he already stated somebody else on his team who does a few posts above).......All i did was point out the body.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros did you ever see the video of the Brawl announcer reading off additional character names?

He gives pretty good readings of both Ridley and King K. Rool, so if you're going to put the characters in the game, maybe you could use announcer rips from here?

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Hey BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros did you ever see the video of the Brawl announcer reading off additional character names?

He gives pretty good readings of both Ridley and King K. Rool, so if you're going to put the characters in the game, maybe you could use announcer rips from here?
I hate to burst your bubble, but we have gone over this one many times before. It can't be used because of the echo, due to the fact that the game itself adds an echo with the announcer.

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
I hate to burst your bubble, but we have gone over this one many times before. It can't be used because of the echo, due to the fact that the game itself adds an echo with the announcer.
Not only that, but these are project M mods and it wouldn't be consistent with the other announcer calls. I just have a Ridley roar as his call.

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
No. Álvaro_WS made it.

Hey Bagan, not really sure if this is relevant, but what would you say about the idea to work on a Lanky Kong PSA in the distant future (like, after you finish kraid). I feel like there should be more than just 2 kongs and the main antagonist playable for the DK franchise, and Lanky would fit perfectly IMO. What do you think?

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
He has plenty of moveset potential too. The majority of his regular attacks can have him thrust/slap enemies with his stretchy limbs, and his neutral B can have him shoot a grape using his Grape shooter. And of course, his Up-B would have him inflate himself, just like a balloon. He can be the middleweight among the kong gang, weighing more than Diddy but being lighter than Donkey. I could even help animate Lanky too if you want (probably not as good of an animator as you, but I'm pretty decent). And if you need a model, there's a pretty good Brawl Trophy for Lanky Kong that you can use as well.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Not only that, but these are project M mods and it wouldn't be consistent with the other announcer calls. I just have a Ridley roar as his call.
I sent @PyotrLuzhin a few samples, me and a friend of mine recorded voice samples of the announcer for various characters, we'll make a few extra clips for various custom characters.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Look, idk if it's gold, bronze or whatever but that belly-chest is F-in shiny as F*** look at these pics (there's even glossy reflections):

Even ingame you can see how shiny it is:

There has always been a strong visual emphasis on his belly shine (Which you actually succeeded in doing the first time! Lmao):

The amount of shine currently put in (as you stated)... :

....leaves him too too close to this:

That amount of shine is too high. Yeah, it's on original design, but it's not DKC. It's not DK64. This is Brawl and it has it's own artstyle. Ridley never had noticeable scales even in Other M, but has them in Brawl. Bowser's scales never were that noticeable before, but they are hard to miss in Brawl. Toon Link was bright green and cell-shaded, but that's not the case in Brawl. Having K. Rool with ridiculously shiny gold stuff wouldn't look right when other similar things aren't like it. I might make it shinier to match Dedede's crown thing, but not by much.
Edit: I also just realized that the Rare design has a line going down his body from where his chest pecs separate. Unlike the Nintendo look. It seems the mod is missing that belly line too
Eh. Less verticles and stuff of that kind is better.

What others said and it just has low audio quality.
Hey Bagan, not really sure if this is relevant, but what would you say about the idea to work on a Lanky Kong PSA in the distant future (like, after you finish kraid). I feel like there should be more than just 2 kongs and the main antagonist playable for the DK franchise, and Lanky would fit perfectly IMO. What do you think?
No. Someone else should do that, not me.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What others said and it just has low audio quality.
Got it. Who's the current P:M announcer in that case? We could go about asking him to record a few quick names for these mods.

Shiruzato

Smash Cadet
not to get off toic again, but why is Black Shadow even a thing being worked on? Why not just give hiM Ganon's Brawl moveset, and then Relave old ganon with BronzeGreekGod's Ganon? #EverySmashCharacterUnique #Clonesthatactuallymakesense
Honestly I'd just settle with a good vertex of Black Shadow to put over Ganondorf, the only good one is over Captain Falcon (the other is good for its time but it's far too outdated by today's standards).

mikeyn1gm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's on original design, but it's not DKC. It's not DK64.
Hey, that's all I needed 2 know. I was under the mindset that this was focused on full original design but now you cleared the smoke.

If that's the case, I think you're doing a really great job. Hopefully you land it well with the moves and animations!

Edit: Try to see if you can discuss with your team about his tail (idk if there's problems implementing it when it comes to animations or the fact that Toon Link doesn't have a tail unlike a character like Bowser etc...).....if not then I guess it won't be too much of a big deal hopefully. Good Luck!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Got it. Who's the current P:M announcer in that case? We could go about asking him to record a few quick names for these mods.
I think he was paid for that. Unfortunately, i don't remember his name, but i know that he has (had?) a youtube channel.
Hey, that's all I needed 2 know. I was under the mindset that this was focused on full original design but now you cleared the smoke.

If that's the case, I think you're doing a really great job. Hopefully you land it well with the moves and animations!

Edit: Try to see if you can discuss with your team about his tail (idk if there's problems implementing it when it comes to animations or the fact that Toon Link doesn't have a tail unlike a character like Bowser etc...).....if not then I guess it won't be too much of a big deal hopefully. Good Luck!
Ok then.

I can try adding it myself (author of the model didn't add it because it wasn't necessary as it wasn't used in moveset), but cape will have to be shorter to avoid clipping. And character's base having no tail is not a problem - my Ridley mod is over Pit, but his long tail causes no problems.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I, personally, think that a non-clipping cape is more important than a tail. And more impressive, 'cause you could use fancy animations or Havok physics.

King K. Rool is also a pretty comical character, in all his incarnations. If you take away his cheeks, or hide them under a tail, his character model might be too intimidating, he's already terrifying enough with those claws.

Top Bottom