• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back-Throw FollowUps?

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
So I was playing around with grab finishers and realised I could back-throw into a FSmash charged in the other direction by Nana. Are there any uses for this?

And apologies in advance if this Is already a thing

GhllieShdeKnife

Smash Ace
I was experimenting with this about a year ago and there is no real use for it because you can hit with the reverse hitbox of the fsmash to mixup their DI if you upthrow at the right time. The bthrow fsmash works really well on falcon and ganon from my testing but upthrow fsmash is just better due to the mixup.

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I was thinking about mixups
between this and UpThrow reverse, and the only 2 reason to use this I could think of were

- possibly confusing opponent when they see nana charge in the other direction (maybe screwing up DI... somehow)
- ending handoffs with your back to ledge (may as well UpThrow reverse)

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
iHmm, if i remember correcly, and it does sound close to it, bthrow fsmash might be the way that you can KO an opponent while standing on the low mid platform on the left side on onett through the house. I remember there was a consistent way of doing that but cant remember the details (yes i used to play and pick that stage against foxes waaaaay back).

Other then that just bthrow to put the opponent in a bit tight techsituation is good as long as the opponent cant DI offstage.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you would be able to land it on any character by just charging the reverse fsmash and releasing it at the right point during the bthrow animation, but it would have reduced knockback since you're smashing them out of a grab as opposed to when the grab actually releases them.

on the bigger characters you literally just hit back on the cstick and it's guaranteed (at least on falcon and ganon)

TESTED:
works on these characters (from 0%, it only works on a few at higher percents):
ganon, falcon, dk, yoshi, peach, bowser, luigi, Ice climbers, and samus

so it's weight based, size doesn't actually matter at all.

you can do it at kill percent on these characters:
ganon, falcon, dk, yoshi, bowser, samus

Luigi only works at 0%
peach works twice from 0% (it ends up being like 33% total if unstale)
ICs works until like 30%, BUT, if you hit nana with the bthrow, it looks like it works at any percent.
You could probably do it for a little longer on nana, since nana is slightly heavier than popo

----

here's the bthrow handoff I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjkAjLtPj48

I think it might work on dk too. Maybe some other characters. I'll test later. The timing is weird.

---

another funny thing I discovered was that if you input a dash with nana when you bthrow, she gets pushed the wrong direction. It's super pronounced with bowser and dk in particular. With bowser and dk if you do this, then hit down and then neutral b, at low percents it auto-iceblock resets them because they will travel the same speed as an iceblock and land on it. they can sdi out of it, but its still super funny.

at low percent, bthrow usmash also works on bowser. It works on ganon and falcon if they di in.

bthrow fair works on the heavy characters as well. excluding falcon after mid-percent unless he DIs in.
Seems to work on all the heavys until 150%ish and then only works if they hold in.

bthrow->bair is a lot more legit and is more guaranteed and more likely to kill than bthrow fair.
I landed bthrow->nair as well. It seems a lot more DI dependent. on falcon it seems like you can only hit him during the throw animation, so it wont knock him out of the throw. More reliable at low percent, and leads to funny combos though.

I also cged bowser, dk, yoshi, falcon and ganon, with bthrow->nanadair->dash grab until kill percent. it might be an infinite. seems like it'd be easy to DI out of though. You have a very small window to regrab, and if you input it too quickly, you'll lightshield.
I landed it twice on falco while nana was positioned behind me.

Last edited:

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
here's the bthrow handoff I was talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjkAjLtPj48
There's also another handoff involving bthrow, but it's conceptually pretty different. If you land a grab near an edge that you're facing away from with Popo, you can have Popo fthrow, have Nana grab, she'll bthrow, then you grab again with Popo right after the enemy is released from Nana's bthrow. It doesn't work on lightweights since if Nana doesn't do any pummels, the bthrow is too quick for Popo to grab again in time to catch the enemy right as they're released. The only relevant non-lightweight character I've actually tested it on is Falcon; I'd expect it to at least work on heavier characters as well. The downside is that it's hard as hell and requires getting a grab in a position that's otherwise pretty bad for ICs.

I also cged bowser, dk, yoshi, falcon and ganon, with bthrow->nanadair->dash grab until kill percent. it might be an infinite. seems like it'd be easy to DI out of though. You have a very small window to regrab, and if you input it too quickly, you'll lightshield.
I landed it twice on falco while nana was positioned behind me.
This sort of CG is pretty much always easy to SDI out of.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
right, I wouldn't ever go for most of these in real play, they were just funny things I found while playing around with bthrow.
like dthrow->fair cgs. I would never use them in actual play, but they look cool.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
b-throw -> f-air -> regrab works on Fox at low percent if he DIs away (which is escape DI for d-throw d-air), and it's stylish af

Top Bottom