• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baby's first Video Game

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
As of March 30th of this year, I am now officially a big sister. It's kind of confusing being an older sibling instead of a younger one like I've been my whole life to this point, but I'll get used to it.

So, I wanted to ask you all something: When my brother gets old enough, I want to let him play some of my video games. I wanted to ask you for recommendations, wether it be genre, company, what have you.

I have a Gamecube, Wii/Wii U, DSI, 3DS, SNES, PS3, and a computer with some emulated games/downloaded games.
If you could recommend games for noobies on those systems, I'd really appreciate it!

(I know I'm letting him play EarthBound and Kirby for sure. I want him to have the same experience I did with those gems)

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
I had this situation before and I did the following. Play some of the games you own already on the first/tutorial level and see if he gets interested in playing them. Thats the best way to get a child into video games (in my opinion) because they can get a feel for what they like early :D

But if anything, I recommend any of the Mario or Kirby games. Very simple games to start off with.

yttik

Zelda games are great for kids! The adventure feels real at that age, I know it did to me.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Super Mario Bros on NES, F-Zero and mybe the Starfox games! They are great games!

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I had my daughter play Skyrim when she was 2. She didn't fair well at all, but she's 4 and loves all types of dragons, so I suppose I did something right.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
The Virtual Console is your friend, on both the eShop and Wii Mode. Most of the classics on NES, SNES, and Genesis don't require too much literacy skills. The original Mario and Sonic trilogies are a must.

If you plan to get him into the Smash series, start with 64 on the Wii VC. It was the first video game I ever played myself, and it's simpler to understand right off the bat than the following games in the series.

If he starts to get a short attention span, WarioWare, Inc. on Wii U VC might grab his attention. I know it did mine.

If he wants a wide open world to play around in, Mario 64 and/or DK 64 might be a good idea.

I'm just throwing ideas off the top of my head.

Ipskies

Smash Rookie
Fire Emblem: Awakening is a fun and easy game, especially with casual mode.

For smash I would probably start with Smash 4. It's probably the most accessible entry in the series so far and if he's played any games that have character representation (Mariro, FE, Zelda, etc. etc.) Then he'll be twice as hooked playing with characters he's already seen before.

Also punch-out, because I love punch-out.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
Mario Party can do wonders, it's something you can both play together. Mario games are great entry level games, especially when you make it into a funny experience between the both of you. That's how my siblings and I bonded.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
Do not play Mario Party. I repeat do not play Mario Party. It will turn you and your little brother against each other until any love you had for each other turns into spite and rage. My whole family has been torn apart by Mario Party. None of us have spoken to each other since the great incident of '03.

FWP_Rytarou

Smash Rookie
I'd recommend just the good ol' fashion Legend of Zelda series, nothing like going back and enjoying your own little adventure in a great world, maybe also let them play some Star Fox 64, that was always my favorite back in the day.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Super Mario 3D World would be a good option, it looks pretty so it'll be fairly engaging, it's simple to understand and not very difficult. Plus you can play it together

Or Kirby like you mentioned, I'd recommend Return to Dreamland in particular cause of co-op

Last edited:

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Pokémon, Mario and Kirby were my introductions to games. I think they'd be good introductions to your brother too.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Some games you can play with your little brother are a good start, so are simpler and easier games. Kirby Super Star, Super Mario 3D Land, Rayman Origins, and Super Mario 64 could be some good choices. My niece just turned 4 and I've been letting her play Mario 64 lately, and so far she seems to like it.

Toadamos

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaleToaster
3DS FC
0018-0149-3133
Do not play Mario Party. I repeat do not play Mario Party. It will turn you and your little brother against each other until any love you had for each other turns into spite and rage. My whole family has been torn apart by Mario Party. None of us have spoken to each other since the great incident of '03.
Funny, my older brother and I had a similar occurence, instead it wasn't Mario Party, rather Mario Kart. We had to take a break mid-way cause he was ready to throw his controller at me.

Similar occurrence with my dad in MK:DD. Except we actually had fun getting cheap wins off one another. (I'm still calling BS he got a STAR at the end)

Top Bottom