• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

ichadam

Smash Rookie
im willing to host an event if enough ppl are willing to show up i live in kamloops and theres a group of us here that are pretty good at Brawl.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That's awesome! If you guys want to get something going up there, I'd definitely recommend trying to host your own events if possible, even if we can't guarantee our attendance. I would support your scene if possible, as would a bunch of other players from the Vancouver area, but whether or not we can make trips like that is really dependent on the schedules of the one or two people with cars around here.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
im willing to host an event if enough ppl are willing to show up i live in kamloops and theres a group of us here that are pretty good at Brawl.
Kamloops? I live in Chilliwack. That might be possible for me if you can get something going there/a date?

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
Guuuuys I'm in the hospital for the next week. Any chance we can get together to do something?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Yes I'd love that. Melee is fun but I miss the Brawl guys though I am super rusty!

Please let's meet up soon and play. I watched that stream on Saturday but the commentators had no idea I was the only one in the stream and I couldn't wish any of you guys luck because nobody read Twitch chat.

That's definitely one way to improve a stream. Interact with the viewers and I don't really see the point of commentary if there is literally nobody in the channel aside from the uploader.

Last edited:

Jason!

Smash Lord
It's not that we didn't read the stream chat, but it's because the host didn't want to open it for whatever reason.

Java

Smash Brother
Anybody want to get together to play some PM before the tourney on Saturday? I can host a few at my place tomorrow if people are interested.

Java

Smash Brother
I live downtown, but I'm able to travel elsewhere if there is a more central location for everyone. Let me know what works best!

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Double post but hey no moderators!

Here's my take on today's news...

Smash is a game that will generate console sales just like Pokemon X/Y (eg. Pokemon X/Y & 2DS simultaneous release). I would recommend holding out on buying a WiiU (even with MK8 out) since it's possible there will be a bundle for Smash4. All bundles include some kind of bonus (ie. extra game, Hyrule Historia, extra controller) so my guess is that if there *was* a bundle for Smash4, it would come with either a GC controller, its adapter, or maybe both? The reason I think this might happen is because the GC controller has the Smash Bros. logo on it although I don't know if Smash4 will be the only WiiU game that will support the GC controller.

If possible, buy all consoles at Shoppers Drug Mart during a 20x event. There is no better deal anywhere.

I think I want a username change again.

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Some other things to consider...

With E3 coming up so soon, there's always a possibility of a Wii U price drop... but with the latest news of 10-12million copies of MK8 being sold that may not be likely.

Now, typically during E3, Best Buy and Future Shop have E3 preorder discounts that may actually be worth considering. I believe what happens is the more you pre-order, the more you save off each title. So least year, if you pre-ordered 1-2 games, you saved up to $10 per game. For three games, you save up to $20 per game. Smash4 U/3DS will also be available for preorder with a bonus I believe on the 11th and 14th at Best Buy this month.

These bonuses/discounts may very well be worth taking advantage of... because I believe the discounts should make up the cost of the GC controller adapter. For $350, you can get a Wii U, an extra controller, and Mario Kart 8. Until the end of July I believe, any MK8 Club Nintendo code redemption will allow you to download one of: Wii Party U, TLoZ Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, or New Super Mario Bros U. That's a great deal already.

So it may actually be worth getting a Wii U during E3.

Why Shopper's Drug Mart is amazing...

20x event on Wednesday:
http://images.email.shoppersoptimum.ca/templates/2014/06_Jun/Coupon_20x_Jun2/SE.pdf

Super Point redemption event this weekend:

Redeem 25,000 points and get $50 worth of free stuff (regularly 22k for $30)
Redeem 50,000 points and get $110 worth of free stuff (regularly $85)
Redeem 95,000 points and get $220 worth of free stuff (regularly $170)

So if you bought a Wii U for $350, and spend an extra $25 on miscellaneous items, you'd have 75,000 Shoppers Optimum points. During a Super Point redemption event, those points would be valued at $160 of store credit. I may very well spend 50k points this weekend >_>

You get 2,000 points for changing your profile (with a promo code), and there are a couple of these each month at least. There were 3 last month, which is a free 6,000 points. You also get a coupon for 8,000 points for your birthday (no purchase required).

During the PS4 release, people literally brought in their grandparents to Shoppers for the 20% seniors discount and 20x points event. That is insanity... you save 20% of $400 instantly which is $80, then you receive 64,000 points which is worth $95 when it's not Super Redemption. Where else in the world can you save $80 plus receive nearly $100 in store credit in the week a new-generation console is released? So if you have grandparents that have a Shoppers Optimum card...

There is seriously NO better deal anywhere on this planet. The downside to this is that the offer is SO good that current generation consoles are frequently out of stock.

Real Canadian Superstore is a distant second, but I'll save that for another time. (It also involves extreme luck on your part... if you are lucky, you could get up to $95 in savings this week depending on what your individual PCplus offer(s) are)

Another option is buying a refurbished deluxe Wii U from the Nintendo website for $200.

Since Wii U runs on SSD, I would assume a digital copy of Smash4 would have superior loading times compared to a physical copy.

#frugal #butnotreally #nolife

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wii U 32GB Deluxe, standalone $150 at Target. Sold out at my closest Target. MK8 also $10 off there.

Edit: Stock in Langley :(

Last edited:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I wish I could visit yours! I love the positive atmosphere AB's community has.

Betcha one of you guys could make me play P:M, too.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Gonna have to talk to Captain L about that one. I know for sure he'll be motivated to at least bring some kind of recording equipment because 64 is there. I'll post the stream on the State of Brawl if we do pull one together.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm not sure. I personally have too much responsibility on my plate when it comes to running tournaments for P:M and Melee, so finding the time to run/advertise Brawl and 64 events is a bit much for me. I want to host more events like this, but I just don't have the time. :/

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm not sure. I personally have too much responsibility on my plate when it comes to running tournaments for P:M and Melee, so finding the time to run/advertise Brawl and 64 events is a bit much for me. I want to host more events like this, but I just don't have the time. :/
well **** brawl anyways
just get people to bring 64 setups to your melee events and have a little round robin then bracket on the side

Top Bottom