• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Awkward Wavedashes

thg

Smash Rookie
Hello !

I've been playing a lot of Melee for the last couple of years and someone introduced me to Project M some months ago.
Since I joined the competitive community I mainly played Luigi and i had no technique problems. My wavedashes, wavelands are smooth and clean.

Unfortunately, when I decide to go on PM and try some stuff, i get some awkward results ; my forward wavedash become a weird and short slide (While playing Luigi). My backward wavedash is just as if I was holding my stick down. The character just hops back on ground and does nothing.

Does anyone have an hypothesis about this ? Is there something about PM physics or maybe a malfunction with my controller (which happens to be fine on Melee) ?

Thank you.

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
in brawl/pm, luigi has a crawl which cancels his horizontal momentum if you use it. you might possibly be accidentally crawling by holding diagonally down a bit too long?

thg

Smash Rookie
If I may point another thing : Last week I went to a little smash night and there were 2 consoles. The first was a bit modded for customs songs and skins and the other had default settings. The custom one gave me the problem explained but the default Wii was fine. Could there be something to justify in that ?

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
unless they used a different fitluigi.pac for some reason, there shouldn't be any difference between the two. unless they were on different kinds of tv's with different input delay screwing with your timing

thg

Smash Rookie
They were. But i thought CRT TVs had all pretty much the same input delay ? I easily recognize the delay of HD TVs but now you confuses me hahaha !

Last edited:

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
i was referring to hd tv lag. if they were both crt, i haven't a clue. most likely tho, i'd say it's the crawl thing. just practice with it a bit more and i'm sure you'll get more consistent with it

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Don't really know of anybody who has this problem. I can WD around with Luigi just fine, any character for that matter but ofc theirs aren't as good.

SouthernGent

Smash Cadet
Different CRTs can have different amounts of input lag. The difference isn't as bad as the difference between CRT and HD but still there.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I personally have no problem WDing with Luigi, PM or Melee. However, I will tell you that there is a 1 frame delay caused by PM's Momentum Physics compared to Melee. As such, that may be throwing you off.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
The custom one gave me the problem explained but the default Wii was fine. Could there be something to justify in that ?
One probably had the wifi safe set (does not distinguish between light/heavy L/R presses) and the other was the "full" set which does distinguish.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I personally have no problem WDing with Luigi, PM or Melee. However, I will tell you that there is a 1 frame delay caused by PM's Momentum Physics compared to Melee. As such, that may be throwing you off.
This doesn't change the required timing/muscle memory for wavedashing, it only adds a frame onto when you can act out of it; that wouldn't be the issue.

Last edited:

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't change the required timing/muscle memory for wavedashing, it only adds a frame onto when you can act out of it; that wouldn't be the issue.
If it was a matter of successive WDs, then it would, however you make a fine point.

The other possible scenario I see is the build played on (PM plus it's mods on the used SD card) could've had too many things on it or laggy skins. I've personally had this affect me.

Other than that, it could be that he's using the Wifi version so light press registers as a hard press.

Last edited:

GrosMinou

Turbo Scrub
One probably had the wifi safe set (does not distinguish between light/heavy L/R presses) and the other was the "full" set which does distinguish.
^this is probable the reason, tbh. I had the same this weekend at a tourny and decided to change the wii and everything was fine.

Top Bottom