• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Avalon I (Melee/Brawl) - The Netherlands - October 5th, 2013 - Zoetermeer, Zuid-Holland

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
It's been a while since the Dutch posted their events on Smashboards, but with our current venue capacity (~100 people) it would be nice to see more internationals come out. :) The basic information should speak for itself, below you will find some house rules and the rulesets for the two games. For those who've traveled to the Netherlands before, this is the same venue as was used for Exalador's ZEST series. When you sign up, please let us know what games you are likely to be entering (Melee, Brawl or both) and whether you can bring a TV, Cube or Wii. Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you might have.

General information
  • Hosted by: Marc, Remen
    Co-hosted by: ShadowTl (runs Brawl during the day)
  • The venue fee is €7.50, you can get a €2.50 discount if you bring a TV/Cube/Wii, a new player or are a new player yourself (meaning you've never entered a smash tournament before). These discounts don't stack, unless you bring multiple TVs.
  • We are working on housing and looking into hostels as you can't sleep at the venue.
  • The venue has internet (though not the fastest of connections), we're still considering our options for streaming. Coincidentally, if you have the equipment and skills necessary, please let us know!
  • The venue sells drinks and food at reasonable prices and you are expected to take your consumptions outside if you insist on bringing your own.
  • No side events are guaranteed at this point, but amateur brackets for both games are very likely if we get a good amount of setups and participants.
  • No smoking inside the venue.
  • No coaching request: If your opponent is being coached, you can request this not to happen and that should be honored. Note that this applies to coaching during matches and not inbetween.
Melee Ruleset

Basic Rules
  • 4 Stock.
  • 8 minute timer, 10 minute timer for teams.
  • Items are set to “off”.
  • All sets with the exception of winner's semis, winner's finals, loser's quarters, loser's semis, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, while best of 5 will be played out for any of the aforementioned sets, including grand finals.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • In the event of a dispute in team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the remaining port.
  • Pausing should be turned off. In the event pause is on and is pressed during a tournament match, whether by accident or on purpose, the result will be a loss of the current stock for the perpetrating player.
  • No player may choose the stage they have LAST won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Wobbling is legal. Keep the stalling rule in mind, which states the move is to be ended quickly after 300% has been reached. If you accidentally hit pause while trying to mash out, you have to forfeit your stock.
  • You are responsible for your own controller. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned. Definition of stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while techniques such as Jigglypuff’s Rising Pound and Peach’s Bomber Stalling are, as well as wobbling beyond 300%.
Set Format (In Order of Procedure)
  • Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
  • Opponents start the stage striking procedure
  • The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  • The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List, taking no more than 2 minutes**
  • The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  • The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  • Repeat steps 5-8 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**In doubles, the winner of the previous match gets to ban a stage for the remainder of the set

Resolving Ties
  • Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock and then percentage. The Sudden Death is not to be played under any circumstances.
  • If percentages are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minutes, same characters, same stage overtime.
Additional Rules for Doubles Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Set team attack to ON.
Stage List Singles

Starter
  • Battlefield
  • Dream Land 64
  • Yoshi’s Story
Counterpicks
  • Fountain of Dreams
Stage List Teams

Starter
  • Battlefield
  • Dream Land 64
  • Final Destination
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Yoshi's Story

Brawl Ruleset
Basic Rules
  • 3 Stock.
  • 10 minute timer for both singles and teams.
  • Items are set to “off” and “none”.
  • All sets with the exception of winner's semis, winner's finals, loser's quarters, loser's semis, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches, while best of 5 will be played out for any of the aforementioned sets, including grand finals.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • In the event of a dispute in team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the remaining port.
  • Pausing should be turned off. In the event pause is on and is pressed during a tournament match, whether by accident or on purpose, the result will be a loss of the current stock for the perpetrating player.
  • No player may choose the stage they have LAST won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 40 for singles only. This means that you automatically lose if the game goes to time and you have more than 40 edge grabs. If both players are guilty of this, the rule is ignored and the winner will be determined in a regular fashion (see: resolving ties).
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • All chaingrabs and infinites are legal. Keep the stalling rule in mind, which states all infinites are to be ended quickly after 300% has been reached.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned. Definition of stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.
Set Format (In Order of Procedure)
  • Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
  • Opponents start the stage striking procedure
  • Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
  • The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  • The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List, taking no more than 2 minutes
  • The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  • The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  • Repeat steps 5-8 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Resolving Ties
  • Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock and then percentage. The Sudden Death is not to be played under any circumstances.
  • If percentages are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock, 3 minutes, same characters, same stage overtime.
  • When a suicide move ends the match (such as Bowser’s Koopa Klaw or Ganondorf’s forward+B), the game’s verdict should always be honored. This means that if the game goes to Sudden Death rather than a victory screen, it is a tie and the 1-stock rematch will have to be played.
Additional Rules for Doubles Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Set team attack to ON.
Stage List

Starter

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
Counterpicks

• Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Story

The interested participants so far:

Participants
  1. Marc (Melee, Brawl)
  2. Remen (Melee, Brawl)
  3. ShadowTl (Brawl)
  4. Leon (Brawl, Melee) - FR
  5. Avalancer (Melee)
  6. Blood (Melee)
  7. CODE (Melee)
  8. Ryuker (Melee)
  9. Ace (Melee)
  10. RiVer (Brawl)
  11. Four Sword (Brawl, Melee)
  12. Enig (Melee)
  13. Stijn (Melee)
  14. Jimmy (Melee)
  15. Ser (Melee)
  16. Mr-R (Brawl)
  17. JP (Melee)
  18. Coen (Melee)
  19. Faab (Melee)
  20. Zgetto (Melee)
  21. Aqua (Melee, Brawl)
  22. Guus (Melee)
  23. istudying (Melee, Brawl)
  24. RebazTalei (Melee)
  25. mind trick (Melee)
  26. Arvi (Brawl)
  27. Ivra (Brawl)
  28. Gregs (Brawl)
  29. Amsah (Melee)
  30. T (Melee, Brawl)
  31. CorteX (Melee)
  32. Adam (Melee)
  33. Soreru (Brawl, Melee)
  34. Jeapie (Melee, Brawl)
  35. Fernandez (Melee, Brawl)
  36. RENSXD (Melee)
  37. Jynx (Melee)
  38. Rahx (Brawl)
  39. Era (Melee, Brawl)
  40. Ice (Melee) - GE
  41. Slash (Brawl)
  42. Thimo (Melee)
  43. Tomber (Melee) - DE
  44. Rocky (Melee) - SW
  45. Yomi-no-Kuni (Melee) - GE
  46. The Fireman (Melee) - GE
  47. Alpha Dash (Melee) - UK
  48. Tay (Brawl) - GE
  49. Sjakmachien (Melee)
  50. Ivootjes (Melee)
  51. Adrian Tam (Melee) - UK
  52. Robby Gee (Melee) - UK
  53. kiw1 (Melee) - AT
  54. Tittin (Brawl)
  55. Chair (Brawl)
  56. porc (Melee) - FR
  57. Ramses (Melee, Brawl)
  58. Onyx (Brawl)
  59. .FB (Brawl, Melee)
  60. Sinth (Brawl) - UK
  61. BBoyindo (Melee)
  62. Baxon (Melee) - FR
  63. Frenchie 1/Dany? (Brawl) - FR
  64. Frenchie 2/Blubo? (Brawl) - FR
  65. Frenchie 3 (Brawl) - FR
  66. Over (Melee) - ES
  67. Gymmo (Brawl, Melee)
  68. Jeffz0r (Melee)
  69. DomineeFrnk (Melee)
  70. Pika4Life (Brawl)
  71. Eagle (Melee) - DK
  72. Tsunayoshi (Brawl) - GE
  73. Loubson (Brawl)
  74. Don (Brawl)
  75. Ayoub (Brawl)
  76. Xaghtaersis (Brawl)
  77. Gondaj (Melee)
  78. Faeniks (Melee)
  79. Distsidia (Melee)
  80. Lawrencelot (Melee)
  81. Otamie (Brawl, Melee)
  82. Rataplan (Brawl)
  83. eaSy (Melee, Brawl)
  84. Yaaay (Brawl)
  85. Brian (Brawl)
  86. Yorin (Brawl)
  87. Var Parasite (Melee)
  88. kaak
  89. Fade (Brawl)
  90. Luukos (Melee, Brawl)
  91. Catpuke (Brawl)
  92. Raxer (Melee, Brawl)
  93. Ersijo (Melee, Brawl)
  94. nAUGH (Brawl)
  95. Krul (Melee)
  96. Vriend van Krul (Melee)
  97. Fays (Melee)
  98. dancingqueen (Melee) - GE
  99. sixx (Melee) - GE
  100. Reaper (Melee) - GE
  101. Felker (Brawl) - FR
  102. Alpago (Melee)
  103. Heart of Tobasco (Melee)
Hope to see you all there!

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Put me as interested. Probably won't be able to attend but one can always hope.

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
Interested and so are quite a few of the UK players too. Seems like roughly 6 of us would be attending but we will all definitely need housing.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Can you list which UK smashers are interested? I know of three so far (including you) and it's easier to keep track of if we know who/how many are coming. :) Housing shouldn't be an issue, though I'm guessing your group is mostly Melee-oriented, in which case we might have to split you up among nearby Melee players (so far we only have a few Brawl players capable of housing larger groups). But yeah, either way we should be able to figure it out in a way where everyone has a place to stay.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
interested as well... though why is this going on on a friday? :/

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
somehow im the dumbest person on the planet lol

btw i could bring my LGP if somebody brings a lagless lcd :), though still looking if i can even come

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
kiw1: Where are you from and what game(s) would you enter? We'll see about the LCD, I think so far we have all CRTs though. :)

porc: Awesome!

List updated!

sinth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sinth_technique
Switch FC
SW-6875-3919-6957
Very interested.

I can bring all the equipment to stream this providing you get me an internet connection to broadcast from, add me sinth_technique on skype to discuss

Leon94

Smash Journeyman
I 'll be here, I 'll enter both melee and brawl. baxon is already confirmed with me for melee, and 3 others guys will join us

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Awesome, Leon! Do you have the names of the three other guys? I think Gijs has already contacted you about housing, let me know if you need anything else.

Also, can you bring any TVs or Wiis?

Very interested.

I can bring all the equipment to stream this providing you get me an internet connection to broadcast from, add me sinth_technique on skype to discuss
Next week I'm going to ask the venue about their internet speed and judge whether it's possible to have a livestream. If so, I think there are several Dutchies who have the necessary equipment, but I'll get back to you on that. Bringing a Wii is always appreciated in any case!

Leon94

Smash Journeyman
I can bring a wii but for a tv I don't think that will be possible because my trunk will be full. dany is like 80% confirmed, blubo is also very interested and I'll see for the 3rd guy but it wont be a problem I guess

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Next week I'm going to ask the venue about their internet speed and judge whether it's possible to have a livestream. If so, I think there are several Dutchies who have the necessary equipment, but I'll get back to you on that. Bringing a Wii is always appreciated in any case!

Hope we get some info about that quickly. If the internet connection is capable enough I'm guessing you plan to stream melee and brawl? Is this gonna happen in parallel or will we take turns and just stream top 8 of each game?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
I have an appointment this Saturday. If the connection is good enough we intend to have two streams, one for Melee and one for Brawl.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Wait did you really remove both FD and PS from the stagelist? LOL

Leon94

Smash Journeyman
marc, in the brawl stage list you should add pokemon stadium 1 as a counterpick.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Any info on how to get to the venue would be appreciated. What's the closest airport?

EDIT: Also no FD just makes me really sad.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Schiphol (Amsterdam) is by far the biggest airport our country has. It's a relatively small country in the first place, so you'll probably end up flying into there (it's about an hour from the venue). The only viable alternatives I can think of are Rotterdam (about as far as Schiphol) and Eindhoven (about 2 hours from the venue, so quite far), but not many airlines go there. Anyway, you need to take a train to The Hague/Den Haag (Central Station or Laan van NOI) or Zoetermeer, but regardless of which of those three train stations you pick, you have to take something called the RandstadRail from there, which is basically just a tram. The venue is pretty much right next to a RandstadRail stop, as can be seen on the map. I can give you more details if you work out a flight, but if you're housed with a Dutch person they will know how to get there anyway. :)

Leon: This was discussed with our Brawl scene. Basically the intrusiveness of the transformations coupled with how campy the stage is, made it the most "popular" pick for removal. If you have a strong case to make it legal, I'm willing to discuss it though.

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
Marc: Cheers for that. I mainly just needed to know roughly where to go so I can look for cheap flights.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Cool!

Marc: Cheers for that. I mainly just needed to know roughly where to go so I can look for cheap flights.

Can I put you down as interested? :) What smash game do you play?

EDIT: Never mind, was told you're Eagle.

captainbatty

Smash Rookie
I like to sign up for melee singles. Ill be there for sure on that date. This will be my first smash event but im bin playing for the last 9 years. Im gonna ask my old smash buddies if they wanna join aswell, but only one of them does know all the inns and outs about this game and is still active like me. I can bring a pal copy of the game and maybe a tv. May my friends be interestested to, than i will add them trough this forum aswell. Thanks in advance

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Are you from the Netherlands? If so, I suggest signing up for the forum at www.smash-bros.nl, with the original Dutch topic. I will put you down for a TV and a Cube with Melee.

Top Bottom