• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auto Pilots on For Glory

The Eggplantwizard

Smash Rookie
I realized the reason I don't like most For Glory matches is because of the lack of truly smart players. I feel like i'm fighting advanced bots rather than people. Most of my opponents tend to have 3 phases "Walling" Edge Guarding and then a Defensive Recovery. The characters that I see are character that have fast dodges, fast aerials and/or projectiles, and fast auto canceling such as Fox, Yoshi, and Mario.

During the walling phase the player spams projectiles and aerials to bait approaches then punish accordingly this goes on until I get to the edge were then they go to more spam dodges then use a tilt. I call it walling because they create a wall of attacks using aerials, projectiles, dodging, and fast falling to create a wall. This phase is also full of grabs with guaranteed combos.

Edge Guarding is self explanatory some people go off the stage and try to stage spike, and others stay on stage with smash attacks. I can usually manage this because they can't create the wall and set up combos they used in the previous phase.

Recovering involves using aerials and projectiles to prevent to try to catch bad approaches then recover. This cycle repeats over and over and over until the match ends.

I can win when I play a character with good spacing that reduces the effectiveness of the "wall" but when I play a game with Jigglypuff and Luigi can sometimes manage in the second match, but I end up getting KO'd because of the wall.

The opponents I fight go on auto pilot using the same tactics over and over again I rarely see intelligent people that change their tactics often and keep me on my feet. I don't understand how to fight these people besides play characters that niches that combat this play style. This starts to become a question of balance why don't more characters have ways to combat this play style and why should I feel as though I need to switch to a different character to combat it. I have brought this up in other post but character either seem to have low risk - high reward game play while other characters seem to have
high risk - medium reward game play. If anyone can provide tips on how to combat this and over all become a better player in general I would appreciate it.

I play Ness:4ness: Jigglypuff:4jigglypuff: Pac Man:4pacman: and on occasion Luigi:4luigi:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I wrote something about dealing with zoning about a month or so ago, so I'll post it if I can find it again. Before I do that, I would like to state that it sounds like you are running on autopilot yourself.

You mentioned in your post that you can win with Ness and Pac-Man because they have good spacing tools that allow them to easily combat camping and zoning, but you also mentioned that you can't win with Luigi and Jigglypuff because they don't have any tools that allow them to deal with them. In the former case, it is true that your opponent is at fault for failing to adapt, but in the latter case, you didn't adapt to your opponent's playstyle, so they had no reason to change things at all.

I'm sorry if that came off as somewhat mean. That wasn't my intention. All I'm trying to say is that if you play a character that is very vulnerable to projectiles, such as Luigi and Jigglypuff, when you face somebody who is trying to zone you out, whether that be because they are playing on autopilot or because they sincerely don't want to fight at close range, you don't get the luxury of being able to play the way you want to play. This is their game, so if you want to win, you have to play by their rules.

The Eggplantwizard

Smash Rookie
With Jigglypuff, Luigi and Pac Man recently when they create a wall it I seem to have absolutely no options against rush down characters. Pac Man and Jigglypuff require control of the stage so by creating a wall of low risk attacks it absolutely shuts down most of their approaches. It seems like the only viable characters are zone breakers and wallers, because the small niches that are given to other characters aren't enough to combat this. I try new approaches, idea, and other players techniques, but I don't feel like I'm becoming a better player I just feel frustrated like I couldn't have done anything about it.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I know how it feels. I used to play Ike as a secondary before I began using Palutena near exclusively. It's difficult to deal with, I'll admit, but it is very possible to get through your opponent's zoning.

Anyways, here is the advice I mentioned earlier. I have it to a Marth player to help him get close to camping Villagers, so don't be confused by it's wording.

You'll want to use a technique known as bulldogging, which is a combination of the following three tactics: shielding projectiles, jumping over projectiles, and slowly approaching. If you are successful at pulling this off, you will be able to corner your opponent at the edge of the stage, limiting their options heavily.

I'm fully serious about this. I know it seems simplistic, but when most people who play a character that doesn't have any options to fight from a distance goes up against a player that is camping, many of them freak out immediately and try to get in as fast as possible. Because of that, they often take much more damage than needed to get near them and they make it obvious to their opponent what they are going to do, causing them to get destroyed. Bulldogging takes a lot more patience for it to work than people give it credit for, but if you master this technique, you will be able to approach even with Ganondorf.

Anyways, the number 1 rule of bulldogging is don't get flustered. If that happens, you'll start making mistakes, so try to stay calm even if your opponent isn't easy to get near or if you start taking small amounts of damage (that is normal even when bulldogging successfully, just so you know). The same is true for your opponent. If they lose their cool, they will become very easy to beat. Since many players on FG don't have much experience against players who are good at combatting camping, it is common for them to quickly freak out when they see somebody like Marth managing to get near them anyways. That won't happen all the time though, especially when you are up against better players, so always expect that your opponent will stay calm unless they have clearly become reckless.

Top Bottom