• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aura Malarkey in 3D .:. Lsgd

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Guys, everyone plays League.
It's huge and everywhere.

We could totally have Character Board vs Character Board matches.

Browny

Smash Hater
LoL is a legit smash killer lol, it's sad to see some of the coolest smashers in my area skip tourneys and whatnot to just stay at home playing :p
The 'LoL effect' is a phenomenon I just cant understand. After all my thinking about it, all I come down to is the fact that its free, thus representing an infinite entertainment/cost ratio. There are countless other games out there that allow you to play with friends online, and they arent running on an 9 year old game engine (seriously it is) which people are apparently so enthralled by.

Every other reason for its popularity could apply to any other game in existence but LoL far and away consumes the smash community more than ever. Even more so now I think about it, smash is expensive. Tourneys are expensive, travelling is expensive. LoL allows you to play with your friends and do most things smash offers while being entirely free.

Maybe its a trend other games could take... As steam experiments have shown, dropping the price of games increases their sales massively to the point of 90% discounts earning 4000% revenue. Alternatively the same could apply for smash. half the reason I quit was because I refused to pay any more money to enter a tournament, even though I won them. It makes the game no longer fun and people get mad when they lose money and its bad enough that people have to deal with camping/planking while playing a party game, but then to lose money on top of that? It would be an interesting experiment indeed, drop all entry fees for smash tournaments. 40 months down the track, the game is boring and repetitive. Is money really all that keeps competition alive? Remove the money and see if people play it for enjoyment. Take the LoL approach to smash and see if it causes a resurgence in players to counter what LoL has done to smash.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smash players who play LoL get their smash friends to come play LoL with them.

It's just a simple cycle.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm at a practice session and I see two players playing LoL instead of practicing...can't wait for the johns after the tourney.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I saw that coming 20932570396203957209761-3961-3957209651-yt07e8agha0uh40t78ay49a37y402837ghroa847yra09w4yt0a87w4t0234 miles away.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
The 'LoL effect' is a phenomenon I just cant understand. After all my thinking about it, all I come down to is the fact that its free, thus representing an infinite entertainment/cost ratio. There are countless other games out there that allow you to play with friends online, and they arent running on an 9 year old game engine (seriously it is) which people are apparently so enthralled by.

Every other reason for its popularity could apply to any other game in existence but LoL far and away consumes the smash community more than ever. Even more so now I think about it, smash is expensive. Tourneys are expensive, travelling is expensive. LoL allows you to play with your friends and do most things smash offers while being entirely free.

Maybe its a trend other games could take... As steam experiments have shown, dropping the price of games increases their sales massively to the point of 90% discounts earning 4000% revenue. Alternatively the same could apply for smash. half the reason I quit was because I refused to pay any more money to enter a tournament, even though I won them. It makes the game no longer fun and people get mad when they lose money and its bad enough that people have to deal with camping/planking while playing a party game, but then to lose money on top of that? It would be an interesting experiment indeed, drop all entry fees for smash tournaments. 40 months down the track, the game is boring and repetitive. Is money really all that keeps competition alive? Remove the money and see if people play it for enjoyment. Take the LoL approach to smash and see if it causes a resurgence in players to counter what LoL has done to smash.
League of Legends and Smash aren't even in the same boat.
Where as Smash requires its community to create and handle all competitive aspects of it (funding, prizes, tournaments) Lol was created to already harbor all of this, at its core. It was designed to be competitive and have tournaments and so forth. And then add the community league established on top of that, so it'd be like two smash communities trying to do the same thing, Double everything.

Free tournaments would be great, it'd be like competitive friendlies. But this community was born around the idea of winning money from a tournament. There are some cases where that's, for poor choice of words, not the case, and some tournaments are free.

The reason everyone in the community is playing league is because we can all play it. Everyone got consumed by the gigantic machine that is league of legends. Why? Cause Riot modeled themselves to support a community that at the same time could grow and reward.
All of my friends play it cause I played it, all of their friends play it cause they play it. It's just one of those games, much like how some groups of friends played PSO and smash competitively. If someone here didn't know what League of Legends was, how much do you want to make a bet that people where would be like "Oh its this, play with us, yada yada." Then that person would start playing. Why? Cause that's where the rest of us are.
Lemmings. The each and everyone one of us. Minus me, cause I'm a hipster and was playing in beta. :p

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
That's how I joined Minecraft.

I had friends online who played.
And I joined and they all got beta and I have no money:(

Free tourny, I'm not so sure about.
People need payouts so they can strive to be good.

:phone:

Browny

Smash Hater
Maybe in America.

Also Ted, its something to do with smash. Im part of other gaming communities, and to all of them LoL has come and gone. Smash is the only community I know of which has become obsessed with it. Its not entirely a feedback loop with more people playing -> more people playing etc since there is obviously some factor/catalyst which drove its popularity up so high to the smash community while many others treat it no different to any other MOBA game.

Also also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2wViKSh_M&feature=player_embedded

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
Nothing beats spending half an hour wandering through a dark forest trying to find the right trail.

Also, there will be pictures from my lovely hike up tomorrow, mostly some small waterfalls though.

DusK-The-Stray

Smash Ace
I learned something today, I hate critical analysis essays. Way too far out of my comfort zone when it comes to writing.

Any tips?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Pay someone to do them for you.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm always disappointed.

Steam

Smash Hero
my friend got it and I watch him play it.

he went the wrong way at the very beginning and was fighting those skeleton soldier things that he wasn't supposed to fight til waaay later.

he died... a lot.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I learned something today, I hate critical analysis essays. Way too far out of my comfort zone when it comes to writing.

Any tips?
Whats the analysis on? Lemme know if you want some help, I was an english major.
I'm probably going to gamefly Dark Souls cause I don't have the money to buy games right now. Or the time to play it, but a month of renting it might kick that bucket.

Top Bottom