• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 31, 2014] "Suburb Smash 3" pres. by Windy City eSports (Lisle, IL)

AB-80

Smash Apprentice

presented by

SUNDAY AUGUST 31ST, 2014 - 12:00 PM
@ BENEDICTINE UNIVERSITY (KRASA C) - LISLE, IL
Coming on the heels of Show Me Your Moves 15 on 8/30...
A reasonable 3 hour commute from Urbana, close to O'Hare/Midway Airports.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
FEES:

$10 Venue Fee, $10 per Tournament Entry
Projected Payouts: 1st 60% / 2nd 30% / 3rd 10%
**DISCOUNTS FOR CRT + CONSOLE & GAME SETUP!**
NOTE: THERE WILL BE AN EXTRA $2.00 CHARGE FOR REGISTERING THE DAY OF.

We are also pleased to announce credit card/debit card transactions (subject to $1.00 transaction fee).

More information on our website.
Register under the Tournaments tab.

Registered Participants as of 8/30:
Melee - 25 registrants
Project M - 30 registrants

______________________________________________________________________________________

We will be testing "SMSDash" at this event, so PLEASE register with your phone number.
Challonge will text you when your match is ready, including your opponent.
Thank you for your cooperation!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Rules will follow those of Apex 2014 for Melee and Project M.
Controllers will NOT be provided. GameCube controllers only.
Rankings will be determined by WCe Top 16 Poll released on 8/29.
Current WCe Top 16 rankings can be found here.
**PRO PLAYERS OUTSIDE OF CHICAGOLAND WILL RECEIVE SEEDING EXCEPTION AT OUR DISCRETION**
At this time, all tournaments will go straight to bracket with seeded region players obtaining priority byes

Tentative Schedule:
12:00pm - Set up and Warm up/Friendlies
1:00pm - Melee Bracket Begins
3:30pm - Project M Bracket Begins
8:00pm - Closing

Last edited:

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
I understand the extra fee for paying at the door, but is forgoing seeding a good idea? This makes sense as a "punishment" to the player, but it also can punish everyone else in the tournament because poor seeding affects the bracket as a whole.

If you have a high level player who pays at the door and gets a low seed, the whole bracket would be messed up.

In order for it to work you're hinging on the fact that the majority of people pay online ahead of time, and I don't really see that happening.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I understand the extra fee for paying at the door, but is forgoing seeding a good idea? This makes sense as a "punishment" to the player, but it also can punish everyone else in the tournament because poor seeding affects the bracket as a whole.

If you have a high level player who pays at the door and gets a low seed, the whole bracket would be messed up.

In order for it to work you're hinging on the fact that the majority of people pay online ahead of time, and I don't really see that happening.
I guess as a TO I'm in a tough spot, because it's hard to book a halfway decent venue and pay into it not knowing how many people are coming.

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
I guess as a TO I'm in a tough spot, because it's hard to book a halfway decent venue and pay into it not knowing how many people are coming.
Totally understandable, it can just make things a little whonky.

Either way it probably won't be too bad, the better players will still place at the top anyway most likely, but it still isn't ideal.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Totally understandable, it can just make things a little whonky.

Either way it probably won't be too bad, the better players will still place at the top anyway most likely, but it still isn't ideal.
Another problem I'll run into with seeding top players is, if they all just show up day of, I have to waste the time adjusting all the pools last minute. Trying to avoid tournaments starting/running late, because that's a big issue with a lot of players.

Captain Faceroll

Smash Apprentice
What exp does for their monthly events is that they don't accept day of entries.

You don't have to pay ahead of time online (which is a big reason people won't register online imo), but you do have to say you're going before you get there.

It lets you do seeding and pools creation before the event starts.

Only problem is if people register and then don't show up (which can happen considering you aren't required to pay ahead of time).

But that usually doesn't create too big of a problem at exp.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Faceroll! Were going to roll the same way EXP does. I like that idea.

Just want everyone to know at this time, this tournament will be pushed back to a date TBD in mid to late August due to venue and registration issues that were unforeseen. Will re-up with new details in the next couple days.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone,
We have re-upped with the new date, time and information!
Get hyped.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Will probably go to this, seeing as it's right down the street from my college (North Central). Wasn't able to make it to the first one, but I'm glad to see we got out of the mad warm, cramped room at GGA (but fun nonetheless).

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Will probably go to this, seeing as it's right down the street from my college (North Central). Wasn't able to make it to the first one, but I'm glad to see we got out of the mad warm, cramped room at GGA (but fun nonetheless).
Yeah.. GGA is opening up a new tournament room/section in a couple months. That should be cool. But yeah, Benedictine is where we were for the first one and it was great. Lots of space, good internet, restaurant next door, etc.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Yeah.. GGA is opening up a new tournament room/section in a couple months. That should be cool. But yeah, Benedictine is where we were for the first one and it was great. Lots of space, good internet, restaurant next door, etc.
Don't get me wrong, GGA is an awesome place, but that room was not the best of times.

Hopefully there will be a good amount of people at this, considering SMYM is almost a must for many of Chicago's elite.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I've added some additional information above, including a tentative schedule.

I would also like everyone to know that due to an agreement with Benedictine, we are now able to make this a true monthly. The Suburb Smash series will be happening on the third Saturday of every month (Sundays if Saturday is not open that month).

Kamo.

Smash Apprentice
So is Brawl dropped from this? I only ask because it's not on the schedule, but still listed with Melee and PM at the top along with the date and location.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
So is Brawl dropped from this? I only ask because it's not on the schedule, but still listed with Melee and PM at the top along with the date and location.
Yes Brawl is dropped from this. I'm sorry. I know you're one of the more consistent Brawl players around, but right now we need to make sure our Melee and PM setups are on point before we reintroduce Brawl at a SS event. Doing it for the benefit of the players.

Kamo.

Smash Apprentice
Yes Brawl is dropped from this. I'm sorry. I know you're one of the more consistent Brawl players around, but right now we need to make sure our Melee and PM setups are on point before we reintroduce Brawl at a SS event. Doing it for the benefit of the players.
Disappointing, but I completely understand. Hopefully, it can reappear at one of your future events. I'll consider showing up anyway to test my luck at Melee or PM.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
Just to let everyone know:

It is uncertain whether or not Windy City Smash will be able to make it to stream our event due to being at SMYM the day prior. We are open to having anyone available supply stream equipment if able, and we are also willing to pay for the services. It will be about two or three tournaments worth of funding before we can supply our own streaming equipment dedicated to Windy City eSports.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
PLEASE NOTE:

Our tournament will be testing "SMSDash" via our cell phones/smartphones. It is linked with Challonge and will text you when your next match is ready, including who you will be playing. So when you register, we ask that you PLEASE include your phone number.

I will also be making a note of this in the first post. Thanks for your cooperation!

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
PLEASE NOTE:

Our tournament will be testing "SMSDash" via our cell phones/smartphones. It is linked with Challonge and will text you when your next match is ready, including who you will be playing. So when you register, we ask that you PLEASE include your phone number.

I will also be making a note of this in the first post. Thanks for your cooperation!
SMSDash seems like a cool feature that I wish was tested more at EXP. The only real problem there is the amount of people whose numbers would have to be organized. Better to test it here with a relatively smaller expected turnout.

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
REGISTRATION UPDATE:
Registered for Melee: 16 players
Registered for Project M: 20 players

4 DAYS until Tournament Sunday!

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
BUMP

We have switched from pools to bracket at this time. We have also adjusted the tentative schedule a tiny bit. This will be a great opportunity for newer faces/mid level players to compete for the top spots, as our top five from our previous two events remain unregistered at this time.

KoiVene

Smash Rookie
I've only recently been playing Project M and this will be my first Tourney, really looking forward to it!

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
@ KoiVene KoiVene It's going to be a lot of fun. We'll see you there!

Unfortunately everyone at this time, this event will not have a stream (unless someone can provide the equipment - we will then waive your venue fee)

bastula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
secretanchitman
3DS FC
0130-1885-4238
Switch FC
SW-2373-3239-8999
My old university - wish I could have gone as I live close-by!

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
WEEKEND UPDATE: We are approaching 30 entrants for both Melee & Project M! Register here under the tournaments tab (and be sure to include your phone number for SMSDash! text updates on your next match)

Other notes:

• We have 8 CRTs/complete rigs registered at this time. Remember we are offering a $3.00 discount if you are able to bring a CRT, console, and Melee/PM! PLEASE BRING CRT'S!
  • Melee will begin at 1:00pm, and Project M will follow at 3:30 (tournaments going straight to bracket due to lack of ranked players at this time). Come as early as 12:00pm for registration/friendlies.
  • SPECTATORS/FRIENDLIES ONLY PARTICIPANTS WILL BE SUBJECT TO $3.00 ENTRY FEE.
  • Brackets will be released this evening (subject to change)
  • We currently DO NOT have a stream setup at this time. Willing to waive fees if anyone is able to stream this event.

Last edited:

AB-80

Smash Apprentice
I have an Elgato Video Capture with splitters, you can barrow them if you want.
That'd be clutch! I have a MacBook Pro though, and I'm not sure if it's even powerful enough to run it. So I'm still looking for a solution to that.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
That'd be clutch! I have a MacBook Pro though, and I'm not sure if it's even powerful enough to run it. So I'm still looking for a solution to that.
No worries, I use the same operating system for using the capture device because it's the only laptop we have at my place. The Elgato will run like a charm.

Top Bottom