• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Aug 24, 2014] Smash Weekend @ Gamers Room: Project M & Melee (Concord, NC)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
POSTPONED!!!
Due to an unfortunate power outage we will be postponing the tournament until next Sunday, August 24th. I'm sorry for any inconvenience. Gamer's Room will reopen this Tuesday, August 19th, and I will be there Thursday, August 21st, for practice, freindlies, ect. Again I am very sorry for any inconvenience and trust me this is as big a blow to me as it is to you. Hope to see you all next week!!!

To help
accommodate the people that are starting school the following Monday we are pushing the starting time back to 12 Noon. Thanks to people that messaged me and commented to let me know about this issue.

How's it going Smashboards I am back again to promote our next monthly tournament at the Gamers Room. I probably should have posted this earlier but with work, Hoshicon, and my birthday all this last week I was a little strapped for time. Anyway, with a lot of returning and new talent this last event was very interesting, especially since we had a teams tournament. Also, despite some organizational issues that resulted in the event running later then I wanted, I was fairly happy with how things ran and I can only get better as a TO.

Before we start let's congratulate our finalists:

Project M:
1st-Lucky Wind
2nd-Urmomma
3rd-Nose
TO-SoulOfSmash (shoutouts to MOR|Chu Dat for his awesome shirt!)

Melee:
1st-Lucky Wind
2nd-Karma
3rd-Loud Pack

Project M Teams:
1st-Lucky Wind/Virus (Team Up Smash)
2nd-Karma/Nevermind (Team Moo)
3rd-Traz/TmMango (Not pictured)

So first off, brackets have been posted to the rankings here on Smashboards and I am assuming right now are still going through the approval process. Links to each of the brackets can be found below be sure to go on there and claim your place and get your points to be added into the rankings. There wasn't and option for teams so I didn't do that but it's OK was just a little side event anyway.

Next up, I have more big news. The Gamers Room Smash YouTube channel is now LIVE!!! I will be doing most of the editing and uploading, but I'm sure I won't be doing it all alone. Be sure to check there for recorded matches from our tournaments, upcoming podcasts, updates, and other things we end up doing as the Gamers Room Smash crew! You can click the link below to go right to the channel, we currently have PM Top 8 from our June event and Top 3 from our PM tournament at Hoshicon. Of course, if you are a competitor at our tournaments and you don't want something you were in uploaded for any reason just let me know and I simply wont put it up.

Alright, now with all that stuff out of the way I can get on to the important stuff. Stage selections and bans went much better this time around thanks to the changes I put in and also the help of other players that were familiar with the stage selection and ban process. I have been watching and studying up on Melee stage legality so my ignorance from last time shouldn't be a problem anymore. Heads up for this event though, we now have 2 copies of Smash 64 so the possibility of a Smash 64 tournament is there. Practice up if you are interested!

Below you can find the stage selection screens and the stages that are legal for our events. Yes, Skyloft and Dracula's Castle are legal as Counter Picks.

Stage Selection:

Green-Starter/Neutral Stages

These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Dreamland
-Fountain Of Dreams
-Yoshi's Story

Yellow-Counter Pick Stages
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
-Lylat Cruise
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Warioware
-Green Hill Zone
-Skyloft
-Skyworld
-Distant Planet
-Dracula's Castle

Red-Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory. For most cases these stages are banned due to unfair stage hazards, gimmicks, stage transformations, size, or permeable floors (ex. Halberd).
Page 1 Only:
-Metal Cavern
-Halberd
-Castle Seige
-Norfair
-Rumble Falls

Purple-Suspect Stages
These are stages I have added to make the previous stage more competitive (for example Spear Pillar over Saffron City) or are considered legal in some regions. These may or may not become legal depending on the feedback I receive about them. For the time being they are not legal to be picked in tournament and only available in friendlies.

Character Texture Hacks:

Texture hacks are allowed upon request, if you have a certain texture you like just let me know and I can install it for you. Now don't confuse this with a model hack, only hacks that just change the texture, aka color, of a character are allowed. Any hack that adds or removes anything from a characters model or changes the model entirely will not be allowed. For example this is my personal Samus and Armored Mewtwo texture.

(Yes, I do love the black, white, and red color scheme)

Music:
I love having custom music over my stages. For example one of my favorites is City Escape, a track that should have been in the game to begin with. If you have any requests for stage music just let me know and I will put it on.

If anyone was there and wants to give me any constructive criticism please let me know. I am all ears and I want to make these tournaments the best possible experience for you guys.

Ok so now for newcomers here is what we got going on at the Gamer's Room.

Active Tournaments:

Project M Singles
Double Elimination
$10-Venue Fee
$10-Tournament

Melee Singles
Double Elimination
$10-Venue Fee
$10-Tournament Fee

If you enter both the Melee and Project M tournaments $10 will cover your entry into both. $5 will be added to each pot.

Possible Tournaments:
Project M and Melee are the biggest turnouts but we usually have a side event I have the players vote on. So far, we have had a Brawl and PM Teams tournament. Like I said above Smash 64 is a new possibility so that's what I'm hoping gets voted for this time!

Brawl Singles
1 Stock or 3 Stock
Single or Double Elimination

Smash 64
5 Stock

Project M, Melee, or Brawl Doubles

Money Matches
Of course any and all money matches you guys are willing to have on any of the games, but that's all on you. You don't have to give me heads up on these just come out and do them.

Payout:
1st-60%
2nd-30%
3rd-10%

I really appreciate the turnout we had and am looking forward to next month as much as you guys are. If you are in the Charlotte/Concord or even NC area in general I hope we will soon be the place to go for competitive smash. Let's make it happen guys.

If you have any questions or need any information feel free to messages me on Smashboards, follow Gamer's Room on
Facebook or Twitter, or check out our website.

Last edited:

Sword

Smash Cadet
Hey really enjoyed the tournament, will be coming as a regular :) fourth again in melee XD but it was definitely a lot harder than last time in Melee though. Also next time I will be sure to bring the recording equipment. Also SoulofSmash are you still saltly about that :150: ditto still? :awesome:

Nevermind

Smash Cadet
Tagging the tourney as 'Atlantic South' will net you a bit more visibility with NC players.

Also: for those who haven't attended this event, please do. The venue is comfy and well-accommodated, there are enough seats / setups for friendlies to be played alongside bracket matches, and the people that attend are generally very chill.

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hey really enjoyed the tournament, will be coming as a regular :) fourth again in melee XD but it was definitely a lot harder than last time in Melee though. Also next time I will be sure to bring the recording equipment. Also SoulofSmash are you still saltly about that :150: ditto still? :awesome:
Lol you know me man I don't stay salty for long. I still am a bit annoyed about Mewtwo being able to grab my Kirby when I finish my Cutter Dash behind AND above him though. PMBR PLEASE FIX!!!! XD
As for the equipment that would be great I would love to put some good Melee content on the YouTube Chanel!

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Tagging the tourney as 'Atlantic South' will net you a bit more visibility with NC players.

Also: for those who haven't attended this event, please do. The venue is comfy and well-accommodated, there are enough seats / setups for friendlies to be played alongside bracket matches, and the people that attend are generally very chill.
Done. Thanks man :)

Sword

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind smash 64. Maybe we should start a rotation kind of thing. Like one tournament we do brawl (if we must XD), and the next teams then next 64 and so on and so forth.

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
I can't wait! This is my first real tournamant, so I'm super hyped to play! The only thing I need to know is which game will be played first, because I'm only entering PM

Sword

Smash Cadet
I can't wait! This is my first real tournamant, so I'm super hyped to play! The only thing I need to know is which game will be played first, because I'm only entering PM
We run both at the same time.

Sword

Smash Cadet
Oh cool, I'm pretty sure I can make it then
Can't wait for you and other newcomers to come here. The people here are really nice and awesome (and not to mention good) *looks over at luckywind*

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
Thanks! I have a friend who plays, but I don't know if he can make it. W actually went to a tourney at UNC Charlotte a few years ago, but we were only 13, so I'm counting this as my first tourney.

Sword

Smash Cadet
Thanks! I have a friend who plays, but I don't know if he can make it. W actually went to a tourney at UNC Charlotte a few years ago, but we were only 13, so I'm counting this as my first tourney.
I'm only 14 XD but at least I place well. 4th in Melee and 5th in PM. Still really hopin to make top 3 in Melee.

Sword

Smash Cadet
Also, when might we see the July tournament matches be uploaded to youtube?

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
I'm only 14 XD but at least I place well. 4th in Melee and 5th in PM. Still really hopin to make top 3 in Melee.
Cool, I was a bit of a n00b my first tourney, but now that I understand that there's more to Smash than Ike's Forward B, I'm ready to compete! Also, are we deciding on side tournaments before 8/16 or when we get there?

Nevermind

Smash Cadet
Do you need pm setups? Because I can bring a wii with pm.
There are usually more TVs than consoles, so bringing a setup definitely won't hurt.
Cool, I was a bit of a n00b my first tourney, but now that I understand that there's more to Smash than Ike's Forward B, I'm ready to compete! Also, are we deciding on side tournaments before 8/16 or when we get there?
Side events are decided the day of the tournament by popular vote.

Sword

Smash Cadet
this is stupid i hate you im not coming
Whoa, calm down if something is mentioned in the boards we always take a vote on it first. So, chances are we will do a Smash 64 tournament. And please don't hate on one of my friends for something that he does not control.

lord narwhal

Smash Apprentice
Whoa, calm down if something is mentioned in the boards we always take a vote on it first. So, chances are we will do a Smash 64 tournament. And please don't hate on one of my friends for something that he does not control.
holy serious

Chaoslink

Smash Cadet
NNID
chaosl1nk
couldn't show to the last one, but i plan on coming to this one, gotta get back at apple for knocking me out last time, revenge will be mine.

I also think I might try out 64, haven't played it much competitively but I tried it at a different event and it was pretty fun to play so i'll probably try it there if we get enough people.

Nevermind

Smash Cadet
What is the set starting time? And about when will it be ending?
The tournament starts at 4pm and is estimated to end at midnight. For future reference, these details can be found at the top right of the thread next to the map.
Also can we come early just to play some friendlies or money matches?
The store opens at noon on Saturdays, so you could show up any time between then and four to warm up / play friendlies. Hope you can make it. =D

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Also can we come early just to play some friendlies or money matches?
were you the Yoshi from Hoshicon?
Also pretty much what Josh said I try to open up around 12ish so people can get some practice in and registration starts at 4 and should take me bout 1/2 hour to get brackets ready to go.

Flubbles

Smash Rookie
Also pretty much what Josh said I try to open up around 12ish so people can get some practice in and registration starts at 4 and should take me bout 1/2 hour to get brackets ready to go.
No this be my first tournament. I will have to see if I can come with my brother. I might not be able to make it because I got a football practice. Anyway I really hope I can make it and I'm super exited to play some people that aren't just my brother and my friends. I appreciate the help Soul Of Smash and Nevermind.

Flubbles

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help Soul of smash and Nevermind. I hope I can make it. Will this event be live streamed?

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Thanks for the help Soul of smash and Nevermind. I hope I can make it. Will this event be live streamed?
I can't answer this question for sure, but likely not, since its just a small local.

We gotta play sometime, I live in Mooresville too. Been in the scene for about a year and a half, Im the guy who makes the noice controllers. PM if interested in a training partner.. see ya there bruh if I can make it

Top Bottom