• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN: New Olimar players

Psyflame

Smash Cadet
I see a lot of posts from new players asking how to do X, or just general help threads. You know what'll make you 100% better? Watch videos and apply what you see. Seriously, that's all it takes - know your own style, watch (for example) Echo's, and incorporate some of the things he does that are effective into your own. Simple, easy, effective - watch and learn.

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot of posts from new players asking how to do X, or just general help threads. You know what'll make you 100% better? Watch videos and apply what you see. Seriously, that's all it takes - know your own style, watch (for example) Echo's, and incorporate some of the things he does that are effective into your own. Simple, easy, effective - watch and learn.
and ban rainbow cruise in every set you play. and ban metaknight too!

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I agree. Visuals are the best way to learn something in SSBB. At first, before SSBB came out in America, I was watching Echo using Olimar on his Japanese imported version of the game. I had no idea what Echo was doing, but I thought it was neat to watch. Anyways, after SSBB came out in America, and I actually got to play with Olimar myself, I went back and watched some of Echo's videos again. This time, I knew exactly what Echo was doing. I could imagine myself controlling the Olimar in the videos. It's a great way to learn.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Visuals are the best way to learn something in SSBB...
You only say this because you have an Octopus as your avi. D:

Well not exactly an Octo, but Blooper is close enough.

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
I agree. Visuals are the best way to learn something in SSBB. At first, before SSBB came out in America, I was watching Echo using Olimar on his Japanese imported version of the game. I had no idea what Echo was doing, but I thought it was neat to watch. Anyways, after SSBB came out in America, and I actually got to play with Olimar myself, I went back and watched some of Echo's videos again. This time, I knew exactly what Echo was doing. I could imagine myself controlling the Olimar in the videos. It's a great way to learn.
This man speaks the truth. There's really no substitute for watching or playing against players that are better than you are/have more experience. Advice on tactics can be great but there's no real way to see them applied correctly or know if you're doing them correctly just by reading.

Try to head to a local tournament too, there are bound to be Olimar users tearing it up that you can learn from too!

Kaoz

Smash Cadet
I must agree with almost everything that was said here, with just a slight variation. See, that is was exactly what a I was doing, watch other peoples video to understand how should I play and improve my game, but then I wanted to understand more about it , and so I came to SWF to understand more about the gameplay and tactics as well as individual characters, but my problem was that I didnt understand most of what was said here (and I still dont understand all of it :laugh: ) and I got really confused, by the time I started to look at guides I was kind of desperate.. What I reccommend is to watch videos ( obviously) to improve your game, but when you want to get really better just read a couple of guides, and I can assure you that you will improve your game as well as getting more interested into the world of Smash Brothers ;) .

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
You only say this because you have an Octopus as your avi. D:

Well not exactly an Octo, but Blooper is close enough.
Hey, I'm not an octopus mate. :( I chose Blooper as my avatar because it's the closest I could get to being unique, without having a custom avatar. Seriously! Why can't we create our own avatars? :(

Anyway, I also recommend watching lots of videos of Olimar versus whoever you are having problems with. For example, I was having the hardest time fighting a Wario because I lacked experience with him. So, I went on YouTube and searched "Olimar vs Wario" and out came loads of videos. I learned so much after watching them because I applied what I saw to my own game play. After watching those videos, it was as if I had fought Wario a load of times, because my game play improved dramatically. Humans are very visual creatures - it's so fascinating how much we can learn just by watching others. :)

keeper

Smash Champion
What I end up doing with anything is I try it for a day or two to develop my own style, then I go and see what others have done in order to better themselves. I did not realize the Usmash was a kill move until I saw Echo's vids and I now use it loads. Then I read that whistle guide (why isn't it stickied) and applied that too. My understanding of Olimar as well as skill grew leaps and bounds in a few days thanks to that.

Top Bottom