• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTN: New Members.

Device

Smash Cadet
It does seem kinda pointless to have everyone's date of joining in EVERY post...

But yeah, I haven't had too many problems. I was told that I prolly "thought I was good at melee but sucked" so "that's why I think I am better in brawl" or something dumb like that. I am new to these forums, but that does not mean, in any way, that I did not play Melee religiously. That's prolly one of the games I played most in my life, right along with my fave MMO PSO/PSU. I finally joined here because I was looking for more of a challenge, and with online play, I can find that. Where as, when me and my friends searched around my area(back with melee), we found some people that thought they were good, but were beat down pretty easily. ;/

D20

Smash Lord
I finally joined here because I was looking for more of a challenge, and with online play, I can find that. Where as, when me and my friends searched around my area(back with melee), we found some people that thought they were good, but were beat down pretty easily. ;/
The only problem with this is that online play is terrible. If you want to challenge yourself, drive the hour to a local tournament. You can find ones with quality players in the regional threads.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I was expecting to hear a lot more about my join date and post count when I first started posting because I've lurked the forums for a while.

No one has really ever mentioned my post count or join date, save for myself and people responding to said post.

The flaming of users for post count/join date really seems to be focused on users that come off as ignorant to the subject matter of the forum or are trolling.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
When I see someone with it '07 or '08 join date with 25,008 posts and a scrubby opinion, yes I do think of them as new spammers. Especially the casual elitist. Casuals are fine, but when they think they're the best and everyone else is playing wrong and call tournament players tourney***s and stuff like that, it's just annoying and they shouldn't even be here.

Post count doesn't really matter as much because you don't have to post to know about competitive smash. If you joined in '03 that's pretty much what you joined for, and you had that much time to improve so they are usually better players. And many pros don't have more than 300 posts, but usually old join dates.

Not to say that people that joined recently can't be smart. If I read a smart post then I think of them as a smart person. I will always judge on the post before join date or post count. I'm just saying there is a correlation with 10,000+ post with people that joined a month ago and spam or nubby posts.
Especially when I see all of these character alliances and crap. People make a post about why they think their character is so awesome and people join an alliance that will do nothing for no reason. It's fine to be proud of your character and all, but there is no point in making 10 alliances for every character. In 2 months half of the people in them will never log in again.

SWF used to be all about discussing tactics, finding players, setting up tournaments, and helping others improve, now it has more spam than ever.

GreatClayMonkey

Smash Lord
Rigging the enemy base with explosives, which is l
I was expecting to hear a lot more about my join date and post count when I first started posting because I've lurked the forums for a while.

No one has really ever mentioned my post count or join date, save for myself and people responding to said post.
Probably because u posted intelligently. It only seems that way because new members might not know the ropes yet so they post things they shouldn't. Its not like people are being prejudice against them or anything.

Marth117

Smash Cadet
The problem is when you see someone with a join date of March this year with up to 200, 300 posts and then someone who joined in February with over 1000 posts. If you joined on exactly March 1st, that's 9 posts per day. How many of them actually contain intelligent thought based on Smash? Most of us won't know because we aren't going to take the time out to try and read all of your posts, so we assume that 8/9 of the posts are just bull**** or stupid.
You know despite my join date (early March) I have to agree with you on the most part. Some if not most of the stuff that I have read has been a bit needless. And even I'm guilty of writing something needless, and I don't want to bring it up ever again.

Yeah join date does have something to do with it, but I've been moderate, I have to thank getting Brawl for not being on here and posting everyday. Plus I have intellegent questions that I would like asked.

Sorry my Wii froze while I was typing this down with my Wii mote didn't mean for three different varient's only wanted the thrid one

Marth117

Smash Cadet
The problem is when you see someone with a join date of March this year with up to 200, 300 posts and then someone who joined in February with over 1000 posts. If you joined on exactly March 1st, that's 9 posts per day. How many of them actually contain intelligent thought based on Smash? Most of us won't know because we aren't going to take the time out to try and read all of your posts, so we assume that 8/9 of the posts are just bull**** or stupid.
You know despite my join date (early March) I have to agree with you on the most part. Some if not most of the stuff that I have read has been a bit needless. And even I'm guilty of writing something needless, and I don't want to bring it up ever again.

Yeah join date does have something to do with it, but I've been moderate, I have to thank getting Brawl for not being on here and posting everyday. Plus I have intellegent questions that I would like asked.

Sorry my Wii Froze on me while I was clicking this with the Wii mote

Marth117

Smash Cadet
You know despite my join date (early March) I have to agree with you on the most part. Some if not most of the stuff that I have read has been a bit needless. And even I'm guilty of writing something needless, and I don't want to bring it up ever again. But yeah most things that are said here are needless, and most people should think about what they are writing about before they post.

Sorry for the first two, I don;t want to explain again. I didn't mean for that to happen. My apologies

Mann

Smash Ace
One of the main reasons why join date and post count has started to become of reference to validate someone's main point is because of majority of the posts that contain statements that conflict against someone else's statement. And those are the most noticeable.

We have people who have just joined the Smash Boards since the release of Brawl, who want to express their opinion. But that's just one set of people. People have read the smashboards for the longest time, yet never bothered to join until recently. Those who have been here for months, years, forever.

People will generalize groups into join dates/post counts. For lots of reasons. One would be the experience they've had if not on this forum, but others as well. It's more likely than not that those who have joined earlier and have posted more, have had more experience about the topics that have been through the forums. Another would be to see people who have just joined, the majority, give lots of opinions that...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153322 is one of the big examples.

No one is singling anyone on here. This thread is just about people hating on those because of join date/post count, especially the new comers.

@Marth117 If you find that your browser takes a long time to get where you want to go on the smashboards, if you click the same thing a lot, it'll read it as that. So just copy your reply and refresh the page/come back later to see if it posted or not.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I haven't really noticed it, I still get flamed even though I have a decent post count and a sort of old join date. I flame people who have joined before and after me the same way, if someone says something stupid/annoying/flame-worthy I'm going to flame. The only thing that affects how I respond to people is how well I know them on the forums.

themutt22

Smash Cadet
I am newer, but i lurked for along time before I joined. Join date doesn't mean anything, although newer join dates may correlate to noobishness. Its pretty much just a way for people to stroke their ego.

The_1337

Smash Rookie
i joined a long time ago, but i never posted anything until a few weeks ago, and im crap at this game. it seems like looking at the join date and post count happens on this forum a lot more than others which is unfair, because you dont have to post to be good at something.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
lol...I've been here since what september of last year and some of these new people have a higher post count then me....the reason the new member s get flamed is because of the spammers...but I'm interested on how all these people found out about smashboards

Spork-Ninja-Draken

Smash Apprentice
So far I have noticed nothing of the Sort but I hope I never do get it. ^^;

The only reason I joined however (well... Originally) was for SMYN. Now I use it for Brawl tips while I wait to actually get the game.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Never had my join-date used against me. To be honest, the only joind-date descrimination that I have ever seen is aimed at 2008 joiners.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
We used to have a reputation system here. I think that could've been more accurate than things such as post count and join date... but too many people misused it.
Good to know that there used to be the rep system. I think this is the only vB forum that I've been to that doesn't have a thanks mod or something close to it

Lant

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've been lurking on these forums forever, but I didn't join. Mainly because I discovered the Melee metagame LATE (like around 2006 or so) and I didn't feel like I could contribute much. So I've been around here since then. But when Brawl came out, I figured I get in on this one early, so I made an account.

'Nuff said.
What he said. Played since 99. Lurked since 05. Posted since 07. Been ranting pre AD.

Then again, my good friend Thors annihilates me in lurkage.

Top Bottom