• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack with presence

Binx

Smash Master
Just what the title says, often times in higher level play the threat of a move is all that is saving you from being *****, once you perform a move of any kind you are in lag and depending on the ammount of time if takes your opponent to get to you, and the available options you both have you could be in trouble.

If you have read Wobble's 4 aspects then you should recognize this paragraph -

"Imagine Young Link is standing on the right platform on Battlefield. He has a bomb in his hand, and he's doing nothing. Young Link, at this moment, because of his versatile projectiles, controls a surprising amount of the stage. His boomerang has numerous areas of space above, in front, and below him under potential control. His bomb can be thrown upwards, smash-thrown forwards, tilt-thrown forwards, or he can dash forward and throw it (or drop it down). His arrows control an arcing trajectory in front of him, and more of a straight line if charged. Because of his projectile diversity, opponents can have a difficult time approaching Young Link because he controls so much of the area in between the opponent and himself."

Later he goes on to say that once you attack you committed to controlling that area of space with the attack but once the attack ends you now control no space and are vulnerable.

He also explains how you control spaces you can reach quickly.

- Here is a fun story, my friend was playing against the best player in Oregon, my friend was Fox and his opponent was Marth, it was a very fast Match with all kinds of tricks and lasers and wavelands and grab combos from both sides. My friend was eventually backed into a corner and was standing right on the ledge, the Marth just stood still in tipper range, they both stood completely motionless for 2 seconds (which is an eternity in smash) my friend screamed and airdodged himself to death in a panic lol. The point is though is that at the spot the Marth had complete control by standing still, if he had thrown out at attack my friend could have spot dodged, or rolled, or jumped over it, but by standing still my friend had no correct options, if the Marth's reflexes were fast enough he would hit him no matter what he did.

Fellow ICs use standing to your advantage, especially against characters that you outrange, learn to camp it will win you matches.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
LOL, I do that alot. Of course, I always have trouble reacting when they actually do something, though. >_<

Binx

Smash Master
LOL, I do that alot. Of course, I always have trouble reacting when they actually do something, though. >_<
Same trouble I have, once again though camping outside of an opponents range limits their options, no matter what they do they should know it theoretically is not safe unless you do a move first.

Trying to each camping strats. If you are good at camping you are good at this game.

Note: you should probably not be camping with Ice blocks.

siresword

Smash Cadet
If you are good at camping you are good at this game.

Note: you should probably not be camping with Ice blocks.
" if you are good at camping you are good at this game " =/

and lol no camping with ice blocks
what kind of camping should I do as an IC player then ? do i sit in one spot and shffl dair's or something ? i guess i dont like the idea of sitting and doing nothing, and coming from a falco player i cannot see my character sitting and just *waiting*

i know falco's laser camping is much better because of his lasers, but won't just standing still allow you to be hit by projectile spam ? (or set up for combos or ___.. )
i guess i was just trying to think about spacing and i usually like to keep my ic's moving, especially with their wavedash

Binx

Smash Master
There are many forms of camping, the best Marth's camp almost the entire match, dash dancing while spotting for grabs is camping, doing bairs while at a safe distance to try and provoke action is camping, you dont need to stand in one spot and spam projectiles to camp.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Camping is pretty **** important. I managed to beat a pretty good Samus today by camping his bombs and missiles. Once that advantage was gone, it was smash or be smashed.

Binx

Smash Master
Camping is pretty **** important. I managed to beat a pretty good Samus today by camping his bombs and missiles. Once that advantage was gone, it was smash or be smashed.
Awesome, I love to hear when IC's beat samus and peach and Marth... and Fox, do we actually have any legitimately good match ups hahaha.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Wow thats brilliant. Definitely going to add that to how I play. In a way it reminds me of the tactic when Nana gets killed (or commits suicide you never know). Don't try to kill your opponent with just Popo, just rack up some damage and run. Your opponent will leave themselves open eventually and thats when you kill them (if you feel safe enough)

Binx

Smash Master
Wow thats brilliant. Definitely going to add that to how I play. In a way it reminds me of the tactic when Nana gets killed (or commits suicide you never know). Don't try to kill your opponent with just Popo, just rack up some damage and run. Your opponent will leave themselves open eventually and thats when you kill them (if you feel safe enough)
Exactly, you should play like that with 2 unless your opponent is scared of you and its safe to apply pressure, every once in a while a continued attack is the right course even when they do have options of escape, but you nheed to stay unpredictable.

Top Bottom