• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[AT] Toss Canceling on Link, aka Arrow Bombing.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-for-3ds-advanced-technique-toss-canceling.372084/

As we know already, a new Smash 4 AT was discovered which lets characters with natural items such as Link or Peach to cancel landing lag with their Down Special when they have the item in their hand.

In the last couple of hours I've been trying this out on Link and I have to say that this has improved his game by a couple of notches. The pressuring that you can dish out with the projectile spamm is unreal, like, crazy awesome.

I would like to call this Arrow Bombing. I know you can also do the same thing with the Clawshot, but you are gonna end up pairing up your Bow with your bombs most of the time. Now Link can throw a volley short-hopping Arrows followed by Bombs in quick succession giving little to no respite to your opponent; I feel that raining them arrows and bombarding them using this technique is going to become Link's bread and butter.

For extra pressuring, throw the boomerang as well. Just pull a bomb, throw your boomerang, then short hop arrow and bomb toss cancel. Link is gonna dish a ton of pain this way.
I think it's just the excitement that's speaking for me right now but I feel that this alone should help Link climb the tier ladder in the future. Seriously, it's just that great.

Jabberwockxeno

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to figure out what's going on in the gif in the link (heh) and I'm not following.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Is it possible to this with air attacks the only way I can do it is throwing the bomb upward is it even possible sideways?

Leonomonn

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1160-9828-1808
I do think it opens up some great opportunities for zoning. I will say it's a bit awkward to get myself to do it correctly, but I just might need some practice. I have noticed that when I use the clawshot I always either drop the bomb or throw it to use the clawshot.. Does this mean I'm doing it wrong or is that what's supposed to happen?

Rojo Espada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rojo_Espada
3DS FC
4313-0371-7210
I swear Link just keeps getting better and better.

It's so great online too. Lots of people try shielding or dodging the arrow and they do but then they get blasted with the bomb.
Beautiful.

Ninjalens

Smash Rookie
it will definatly help us put more pressure on campy players im gonna try it out at a tounament this saturday and see how it works out

Ninjalens

Smash Rookie
report from the tounament it was able to help me secure a 2-0 on a campy kirby/villager player i'll have to look over the replays but judging by memory it didn't help me out that much other than match

ConCeal12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mimic19
Z-air, Toss Cancel, Jump Slash (Run atk)

Is a real sexy combo from 0%

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
This definitely improves Links game by a couple of notches. Is there anyway to toss cancel after using the boomerang?

atzero

Smash Cadet
For those who may not get what's going on: when Link performs some air attack and lands, he has landing lag. Whether it's his arrow, zair, or a regular air, they all have some landing lag. When Link throws a bomb, there is no lag following the throw. Therefore, while you are holding a bomb, you can perform typically high lag ariels and throw a bomb as soon as you hit the ground so the game will only trigger your bomb throw lag, which is next to nothing.

Last edited:

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
So I've worked this technique into my playstyle and it seems harder to pull off online than offline (where I can do it with 100% success). Input lag is not toss canceling's friend.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I've played a bit of Link online using this AT and most of the players quit after the first game because of this. This AT not only makes Links/Toon Links camping better, but it also makes their pressure/mix-up game much better and that's the most rewarding option over camping IMO. You're pretty much forcing opponents to either spam rolls, shield a lot, or come in close to you, and those can be predictable at times. I've fought a good, but pretty campy (Still enjoyable) online match (Luckily it wasn't laggy, it was flawless). I kept mixing things up and I racked up so much damage and killed very early within a minute.

This definitly will force most campers to stop camping for a bit and come in close to stand a chance, but as I said, keep the mix-ups going and you will rack up damage very quickly (I even caught my falling bomb with Dair, whiffed the Dair on purpose and threw the bombo immediatly as he was dashing, catching him off guard).

Eten

Smash Ace
When Link performs some air attack and lands, he has landing lag. When link throws a bomb in hand via pressing down-B during that landing lag, that landing lag is cancelled by Link throwing his bomb.

What I want to do is use this to get back to the stage from high. By dropping a bomb while fall back to the stage(not throwing), the bomb is beneath you to cover your fall, then fast falling with a down air to catch the bomb and fall to the stage with the sword hitbox beneath you quickly, then cancelling out down air lag with the bomb toss on the ground. For some reason, I can't seem to reliably make link simply drop the bomb. Does anyone know how? Pressing grab(aka Z to perform a Zair) makes me throw it forward as often as it lets me drop it.

When you press grab(aka Z) in the last couple frames of Link's jump before he leaves the ground, Link drops a bomb in hand without using his hookshot. If Link then uses any aerial, he will catch the bomb immediately after dropping it, having it in hand to cancel out that aerials landing lag. I've used this to perform running short down airs, where I bounce off their shield two hit 2 times, then land with dair lag that is cancelled with the bomb throw. It's a very very large amount of shield pressure and becomes very scary. The only problem is that it requires an extremely, extremely precise timing to perform that I only managed to do it 3x in a row after an hour of attempts, at which point I closed my DS, got drunk and watched netflix to give my fingers a break.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Sorry if this is irrelevant but I was wondering how this is done with Zair? He drops the bomb when I attempt it.

LightLelouch89

Smash Cadet
Sorry if this is irrelevant but I was wondering how this is done with Zair? He drops the bomb when I attempt it.
You've gotta air dodge first or that will happen. Air dodge, then zair, then down+B upon at the right moment.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Maining Link throughout the series just makes me so happy to see stuff like this being discovered. It's just so... beautiful.

Top Bottom