• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
when you see your opponent waiting in shield, you do an empty jump (maybe fastfall) and grab them when you land.
it works because whoever is sitting in shield is expecting you to do an aerial

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
how do you guys punish Shieks DSmash when it hits Pikachus shield?
I can occasionally get an USmash OoS or a tomahawk OoS but im usually pushed too far away to do anything

edit: thanks :)

Last edited:

dkuo

Smash Lord
wtf soju tomahawk has been a term for at least 5 years lol

also vs dsmash on shield its kind of tricky if you dont know the hitboxes. it can feel like you cant punish yet but theres actually a lot of cooldown:

Total: 49
Hit: 5-9, 16-19, 22-24
Charge frame: 2
Legs invincible: 5
IASA: 46

theres a total of 3 animation 'sections' where she has a hitbox: 5-9 (initial kick in front of her), 16-19 ('legs split 1'), 22-24 ('legs split 2')

so after the 2nd 'legs split' animation ends you can wdoos and grab or something. you have 22 frames before sheik is actionable btw so dont do something too laggy. also counting shield stun and that your wdoos is 13 frames long, youll only have a few frames to punish

Last edited:

voorhese

Smash Master
I've been experiencing that the new lightshield powershield is realllly helpful. Especially vs falco. I read that you can't powershield lasers with the lightshield, but that's not true. I've been crouching lasers -> lightshieldpowershield a lot. I have noticed that doing a running dtilt is a good way to find yourself already holding A (to do the lightshield powershield).

Simmons

Smash Cadet
I've been experiencing that the new lightshield powershield is realllly helpful. Especially vs falco. I read that you can't powershield lasers with the lightshield, but that's not true. I've been crouching lasers -> lightshieldpowershield a lot. I have noticed that doing a running dtilt is a good way to find yourself already holding A (to do the lightshield powershield).
Is there a guide on how to do the new powershielding technique? I keep hearing about it everywhere.

voorhese

Smash Master
somewhere I imagine, I was told how to do it. you have to be holding A. Then press Z and a L or R so that they are "compressed" at the same time. It's way easier than it sounds though, to make them active at the same time I mean.

voorhese

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhtFHeeI0hw Here is some singles footage. I know you were interested in some N64 ;)

Like last time, I know a bunch of stuff I need to work on, I don't have time to list it all but I will say; I was experimenting with dealing with laser pressure at this time, and I was also fooling around with side b edgeguards, I know they aren't exactly "optimal", but I think they do have a use vs falco.

Last edited:

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
good s***, voorhese
That stock from about 7:25 onwards was awesome :)
I don't think I'm good enough to critique this in anyway so yeah :p

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Maybe a couple more fullhop thunderjolts as approaches
Also try a full hop Uair directly after a cross up nair and you think they're gonna attempt to punish it OoS. Your Uairs OoS lead to a lot of percent which is great and your edge guarding was very solid :)

voorhese

Smash Master
Oh man haha, i didn't realize i stopped doint sh upair to follow up my nair, that was literally one of the first things i learned when i picked pikachu up for fun haha. See? Helped me out fine ;) also i flubbed my edge guards too many times, and when i want to go into fsmash after i do a few jab resets i always have trouble. i just flat out didn't do anything after the resets once, that was why. and if you notice during that combo you like i focused really hard on the fsmash lol. thanks again for the help, i tend to forget little things as i learn new stuff. It has happened a lot. maybe i should keep notes.

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
yeah, I would suggest keeping some notes on your phone that highlight these small details
I like to read over mine just before playing so I can make the most of Pikachus different mix-ups
( e.g; After cross up nair you can Uair, Dsmash and up/down-angled ftilt on their shield. Uair is probably best but you don't wanna be predicable)

Last edited:

The Jets

Smash Cadet
Yo your pika is sick and really consistent. I love the over b to tailspike that's so cool! Definitely learned a lot from watching you. I don't recall you dair-ing too much other than offstage, just wanted to point out its a cool move if you wanted to do other flashy things. Like dair platform cancel can lead to up air spike if they both connect.

Watched during class so it was more for enjoyment rather than analysis. Keep it up!

voorhese

Smash Master
Thans everyone for the advice! When i get time later tonight, i want to do a write up of what i learned myself from th match.

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
You definitely don't use D-Tilt as much as you should
I would like too see more Usmash OoS but that's just me
Your punish game in general is pretty good
Too much Dsmash imo
Probably more Uair OoS
I think you should work on using platforms to get away from lasers (especially falcos) because you're pretty safe up there aslong as you can Shield drop
Also work on the CG on fastfallers and combining into a grab (this will make FD a better stage for you against spacies)

On a side note:
I approve of you using 'Naked Chu' :)

Aquachu

Smash Rookie
I am gonna team with a Luigi player in tournament on Sunday. Are there any specific things we should keep in mind? :)

Last edited:

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
You can probably help him recover 9 times out of 10 by reverse tail-spiking him back towards the stage (whilst he is side-b ing) May take a little practise but shouldn't be too hard
That's all I can think of (I've only ever teamed with Marth, spacies and falcon) :p

voorhese

Smash Master
Puff is one of pikas best teammates. Think of the rest setups. upair is a death warrant. and you can use quick attack to the ledge or like double right or double left quick attack to wake her up. just try recovering around off stahe puff with pika on stage!

soju

SD God
So I was wondering what yall thought if we tried to do more IM conversations like the ones that happened a long while back. Discussing tech, match ups, and all sort of nonsense I used to love the pika board wasn't as dead.

My Skype info for those interested
sojuchris Christian Vedder

Maximusdödus

Smash Rookie
Ughh... Isn't that crazy hard to be consistent with? Haven't really seen much pivoting (or noticed it) from anyone except PewPewU.

Follow up question then... Say if you run past someone thats on the ground and they get up in place when you have ran past them. What are the options for that situation?

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
If your somewhat close, full-hop or sh Uair. If you're too far away for that you may be able to wavedash back towards them and put on shield pressure or punish an OoS option, as they will most likely shield after getting up in place. Pikachu is pretty limited in certain situations like this

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
https://gfycat.com/CandidHideousFinch

Just saw this, and the nair -> grab looks like magic to me. Can someone explain why that worked? Is it a true combo, or do you have to bank on falco not shining? Maybe wes DIed straight up or something? I can't even tell if he grabbed him before he hit the ground or not, though I guess he must have since it looks like wes went into tumble... looks like, frame-perfect either way. I always follow up with another uair in that situation, but maybe I should try nair?

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
*I think* its a mixup were they expect an Uair and aren't prepared, and I doubt the nair --> grab is a legit combo but if axe got it on wes it might be :p

**Edit
My Skype for those interested:
Jemthescrub

Last edited:
Top Bottom