• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask about Pikachu! Hosted by Axe and N64! feat. dkuo!

N64

Smash Champion
dkuo's post is pretty spot on.

The only thing i can really add that helps me when playing against Marth (though it applies to other matchups too) is to try faking approaches. If you can get Marth to whif an fsmash/ftilt/utilt, that can give you enough time to nair into him (or at least force him to shield your crossup nair, which gets you in to start pressuring him). This tends to work especially well if you generally are a very aggressive player, as he'll be used to you just rushing in with every dash towards him.

Just dash up and dashdance or wavedash back, or shield, or triangle jump in. Once his response is avoided, get in while he's recovering.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I think most people think that Pikachu has to be aggressive just because of the way I play him.

It's more that being aggressive is just the style that "I" choose, and that I'm most comfortable with.

It's the same with all my characters. Have you seen my Young Link? Lol

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
you're only delaying your demise by waiting if you get hit while you wait, which is why good movement is so important. otherwise the other person just digs a hole for himself with commitments :)

@n64 triangle jumping needs to make a comeback :cool:

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
it's basically a bad forward wavedash where you jump and then airdodge down and forward into the ground, but you use your airdodge to avoid getting hit and followup

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think most people think that Pikachu has to be aggressive just because of the way I play him.

It's more that being aggressive is just the style that "I" choose, and that I'm most comfortable with.

It's the same with all my characters. Have you seen my Young Link? Lol
Yep you have to play by your strengths. If theres one thing I can say is that you have to know yourself meaning you have to know where you are weak and strong. You have to know the properties of every move against every move as well and have good movement. Having good movement means you understand the range and threat of the character you are facing so youll be able to bait out attacks a lot easier.

Axe, you take openings like crazy thats for sure, it looks aggressive but you can counter-attack on reaction so it's scary to throw out anything. Stuffing that with quick attacks is usually a pretty good strat but still.. damn. lol

FourStar

Smash Ace
i think in general i've seen more aggressive pikas rather than defensive ones. but that's cuz i haven't seen that many.

N64

Smash Champion
I think it's natural to play pikachu aggressively because he has the mobility to get in, and staying out for very long doesn't generally get you very much. Jolt-camping only works well on like Corneria (lol), and his defensive game is more focused around running-away-then-counterattacking than trying to stuff their approach with something. To do anything with pikachu, you have to get in. You have to run or jump at them, as your defensive options are meh.

Honestly, a "defensive pikachu" to me just sounds like "a patient, aggressive pikachu"

AXE 09

Smash Master
I see where you're coming from N64. Pikachu definitely isn't very good at stopping approaches (other than his amazing Ftilt, but you can't really follow it up with anything).

I've just always viewed a defensive Pika as one who likes to sit back and wait for the right openings, whereas an aggressive Pikachu is more "in your face" and forces the opponent to take mostly defensive positions.

Both styles of play have the same idea though, which is basically to put your opponent in a bad position where you can get a good opening in on them. They just achieve that goal in different ways.

And Kage, thank you so much :)

I want all of you guys to know that I've been training hard for EVO, and I'll do my very best to represent for my Pikachu brethren. <3 you guys, and thank you so much for all the support. I hope I'll see all of you guys there!

And if they do teams, you guys should be seeing more awesomeness of me and Kage ;) Hype

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
teamwobble

(real answer coming in a bit)

edit: some random teams stuff

im not actually that good at doubles but pika is a very flexible teams character. generally though i dont want to play with a teammate who does more support than aggro since pika is kinda bad with 2v1's compared to the others imo. up to you though, that's just how i feel - i know pika needs a lot of room to play a decent neutral game so playing with a support character isnt bad either

against 2v1's you can escape sandwiches (2 opponents around you) with crossup nair pretty effectively. just be conscious of the fact that your spacing game is gonna be really pushed by sandwich and it might be hard to initiate a safe nair

you have the strongest uncharged usmash, so regardless of any team combination you'll have to be fishing for usmashes during doubles vs high% opponents. this becomes very strong if the opponent can get good grabs or stacks % easily. fishing for usmash vs low/mid % isn't a bad idea either, even off your teammate grab it can lead to nice combos

if you want you can play with a very aggro teammate while you focus on ledge gimp support. getting gimps is huge in teams, esp considering its much easier to land them. playing with someone whos good with sending opponents offstage helps here

you can get away with dsmash reset a lot more often in teams. on that note throwing out laggy attacks is a lot less likely to get you punished in teams, just make sure you use them in the right places

your grabrange is bad so playing with a teammate who punishes off your grab a lot might be hard, but if you're good at getting grab setups then go for it

pika's aerial combo finishers (nair/bair) are kind of weak compared to others. try to coordinate with your teams so that when you initiate an aerial combo with uair/utilt/usmash/etc and your teammate is close that they can continue the combo with a strong finisher. this is assuming the scenario where you need a quick combo finisher to avoid getting interrupted by your opponent's teammate

when i just posted 'teamwobble' i was only half joking. it's reserved for 2v1 vs opponent final stock for a guaranteed win - teammate grab opponent, you jab them until usmash ko percentage. if your teammate gets a grab in 2v2 i like usmashing to quickly initiate a combo

pika (mine at least) struggles a little playing keepaway when trying to defend your teammate (ie during recovery, edgeguarding, etc). jolt can protect from a grounded approach while uair can protect from an aerial approach, but for the most part im not sure what pika does in this situation. crossup nair often just end up positioning you farther from your teammate so unless youre confident about your spacing or getting a followup id avoid doing this. btw you can use rising uair to save your teammate, just don't tailspike them

AXE 09

Smash Master
hey Axe, do you have an idea of who you are going to team with?
I have a couple people in mind of who I wanna ask (Vman, Okami, or Wobbles), but I'm not sure lol.

I love teaming with both Vman and Okami, but I was leaning towards Wobbles because I've never teamed with him before. The only thing is, I think he would wanna team with Taj. And I don't wanna leave Taj hanging either, cuz I don't think he would team with anybody but myself and Wobbles.

Decisions decisions lol

Short version of Pikachu in teams: take advantage of his ability to kill quickly (with both Usmash and Uair gimps).

N64

Smash Champion
I think pikachu does well with a teammate who is decent at racking up damage, and/or high risk / high reward chars. Pikachu is good at finishing off chars, via usmash and uair gimps, but he's not so great at actually getting damage. With a good damaging character, they can build up the opponent and put pikachu in a good spot to finish them off. They (pika's teammate) can also often afford to take risks, as pikachu is generally good at getting in and disrupting things if something doesn't work out.

I teamed with a DK and a CFalcon for the majority of my career, so maybe i'm just used to being in that role, but I feel it works out well. If you can get in, uair or dsmash is good to pop opponents up and let your teammate jump in with a big knee (for instance) for damage and good position. If they get in, you can cover them with uairs, weak nairs, fairs, jolt, etc. to disrupt opponents' punishes on them. And you can often help them with their awful recoveries heh.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think pikachu does well with a teammate who is decent at racking up damage, and/or high risk / high reward chars. Pikachu is good at finishing off chars, via usmash and uair gimps, but he's not so great at actually getting damage. With a good damaging character, they can build up the opponent and put pikachu in a good spot to finish them off. They (pika's teammate) can also often afford to take risks, as pikachu is generally good at getting in and disrupting things if something doesn't work out.

I teamed with a DK and a CFalcon for the majority of my career, so maybe i'm just used to being in that role, but I feel it works out well. If you can get in, uair or dsmash is good to pop opponents up and let your teammate jump in with a big knee (for instance) for damage and good position. If they get in, you can cover them with uairs, weak nairs, fairs, jolt, etc. to disrupt opponents' punishes on them. And you can often help them with their awful recoveries heh.
With Ganon it's like.. I hit him once.. Axe gimps, i edgeguard on-stage. Repeat. lol. Sending people off-stage quickly is underrated, I think too many people spends time fighting the opponent rather than trying to kill him.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I have a couple people in mind of who I wanna ask (Vman, Okami, or Wobbles), but I'm not sure lol.

I love teaming with both Vman and Okami, but I was leaning towards Wobbles because I've never teamed with him before. The only thing is, I think he would wanna team with Taj. And I don't wanna leave Taj hanging either, cuz I don't think he would team with anybody but myself and Wobbles.

Decisions decisions lol

Short version of Pikachu in teams: take advantage of his ability to kill quickly (with both Usmash and Uair gimps).
so many people are gonna feel the arizona anger with the pika and IC's team :p

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
on the few occasions i go to tourneys, i sometimes randomly decide i want to go all pika

Top Bottom